Project Counter that Threat! 21st Week: Snover - Counters Submissions

If I didn't point those out would they not have gone straight to voting stage without people being aware that they do not work?
I'd remove them, the same way I did to other sets in previous weeks. And I've already seen these sets and wasn't planning to put them for voting~

Reactions: tcr
Gastly @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Def / 36 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Disable
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Switch into the weak wild charge then disable the wild charge after that you can pain split so you gain back health but if it quick attacks on the disable you can just OHKO it with sludge bomb. Sludge bomb kills after rocks and recoil from wild charge and LO.

228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Wild Charge vs. 36 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Gastly: 13-16 (65 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-------
36+ SpA Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bunnelby: 16-21 (80 - 105%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Can lose with two High rolls on Earthquake with SR up, but its a low chance, automatically loses with SR and a layer of Spikes. Very good check but still has the potential to lose.
Thanks TCR, you are right too. Next time I have to calc at least with SR up.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yagura I think it's fine if people want to comment on other people's sets and prove that it cant counter it 100% of the time, there's nothing wrong with an extra bit of discussion

if we're doing discussion, can i just say that bunelby is apparently impossible to counter. literally nothing in all of lc can avoid the 2hko or ohko from one of its moves.

if we're doing discussion, can i just say that bunelby is apparently impossible to counter. literally nothing in all of lc can avoid the 2hko or ohko from one of its moves.
This is basically true but Bunny suffers a huge 4MSS, if it doesn't run Wild Charge then Archen counters it, if it doesn't run Thief then Pumpkaboo and Phantump counter it and if it doesn't run Quick Attack stuff like Sash Abra can deal with it. And like you said Bunnelby is really hard to counter and it's the reason I came up with it this week (but it's easy to revenge kill though).

This is basically true but Bunny suffers a huge 4MSS, if it doesn't run Wild Charge then Archen counters it, if it doesn't run Thief then Pumpkaboo and Phantump counter it and if it doesn't run Quick Attack stuff like Sash Abra can deal with it. And like you said Bunnelby is really hard to counter and it's the reason I came up with it this week (but it's easy to revenge kill though).
Coming up with mons that have such a narrow field of counters doesn't exactly spark THAT much innovation imo.

Coming up with mons that have such a narrow field of counters doesn't exactly spark THAT much innovation imo.
not really; trash's set is pretty different than the standard gastly; it also helps spark creativity by allowing users to think of new unknown ways to counter the threat. It just means that you have to think outside the box

I'll add to what U-Turn Out said that if I put a Pokémon that has known counters the project will only be a speed competition, the one that is on when I put the new victim will get the best counter which is really unfair, don't you think so? The purpose behind Victim of The Week projects is to get people to be creative and find counters of some threats that have really few counters. I wish I made it clear.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
not really; trash's set is pretty different than the standard gastly; it also helps spark creativity by allowing users to think of new unknown ways to counter the threat. It just means that you have to think outside the box
Eh, eviolite gastly is pretty shit since 1) you can't tank hits for shit even with that, and 2) you can't hit for shit, since you lack the LO. Thinking of "unknown ways" to counter the threat p much just means you have to think of gimmicks you'd never use otherwise for the sole purpose of theorymonning in this thread, which isn't a good thing.

"thinking outside the box" means coming up with original sets for common (and uncommon) pokémon, not trying to make subpar things viable, especially when they would never fit in a team without having tons of support that just removes the whole point of the thing.

reserving max attack ferro
also yay shit mon but sorta not because its the only defensive ghost type thats not yamask with air balloon that can beat it left.
Duskull @ Eviolite
Ability: levitate
EVs, I'll edit in later,
wisp and pain split, will edit later.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Duskull does not work, you take a mid roll of 9, so by turn two you are literally down to at most 3 hp, allowing for a burned Bunnelby to win. Or you can try stalling with Pain Split, in which you still lose by turn 3.

228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Duskull: 8-10 (38 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Stealth Rock does 2 HP, so you are already going into battle with 19, meaning a mid roll + a high roll makes you lose instantly. You are unable to stall out long enough. I decided to save you the trouble of calcing that kingmidas

Duskull does not work, you take a mid roll of 9, so by turn two you are literally down to at most 3 hp, allowing for a burned Bunnelby to win. Or you can try stalling with Pain Split, in which you still lose by turn 3.

228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Duskull: 8-10 (38 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Stealth Rock does 2 HP, so you are already going into battle with 19, meaning a mid roll + a high roll makes you lose instantly. You are unable to stall out long enough. I decided to save you the trouble of calcing that kingmidas
yeah I actually realized that, needed to change it to bj.

Voting starts

Phantump (M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 212 Def
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Will-O-Wisp
- Filler
- Filler
Horn Leech always 2hkos, and the horn leech recovery plus harvest b juice means phantump will come out with a lot of hp left. eq not doing shit to this thing. Although, both phantump and pumkaboo get destroyed by thief, so...
Hide Hide
228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Phantump: 8-9 (33.3 - 37.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Phantump: 6-9 (25 - 37.5%) -- 82.5% chance to 3HKO
36 Atk Phantump Horn Leech vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Bunnelby: 10-13 (50 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-161431700

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-161531762

Yamask @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 212 HP / 236 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Alright this is where it gets interesting folks. RIP Golett, theres a new Ghost-type in town. Yamask is cool as shit to beat things that rely on their abilities to be useful, meaning it is great in a 1v1. Holding an Air Balloon allows it to switch into any Ground-type attack with ease, as well as bypassing things like Spikes or Toxic Spikes, meaning things like Snubbull, Bunnelby, Drilbur, Golett cannot touch it easily with one of its attacks. Holding Air Balloon also FORCES Bunnelby to use Wild Charge, dealing 60% MAX (non Eviolite so there is los bulk) thus nullifying Huge Power, essentially neutering Bunnelby as a Pokemon for a little while. As you can see in the replay, this is dependant on Sleep Talk rolls, but 66% of the time you will deal around 50% health, meaning you only need to hit two at most to win. Eviolite set also works, but there's a chance that Earthquake will 2hko, and you cannot Resttalk forever. Air Balloon is also a cool as shit item, and if you think otherwise then you are blinded by the hand of the meta. So yeah go team.

Pumpkaboo-Super @ Berry Juice / Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 204 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Shadow Sneak
- Seed Bomb

228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Pumpkaboo-Super: 6-7 (24 - 28%) -- 90% chance to 4HKO

Pumpkaboo is immune to Frustration and Quick Attack, while also resisting Earthquake and Wild Charge, making it a reliable counter. Seed Bomb 2HKOes. Replay showing it working: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-161431236

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Aerow. This thing really doesn't have solid switch ins without predictions tho. EDIT: Just a nitpick, I think bullet seed is better on it right?

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I chose Seed Bomb since Bullet Seed doesn't 2HKO if it only hits two times both turns. But yeah, overall Bullet Seed is better, so I should have made it a slash (which I guess Yagura can fix if that set wins).

My vote goes to TCR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)