ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting: this means Primal Groudon only has to watch out for Primal Kyogre, since regular Kyogre can't remove extremely harsh sunlight.
Very true. Although depending on the mechanics of of combined Mega and Primal limits I imagine non-primal Groudon will become a very rare sight. And for that reason non-primal Kyogre will become much less common too.

I'm very curious as to how other weather effects have been changed. How will Solarbeam, Thunder, Hurricane, and weather-dependent healing moves be affected? What about abilities like Dry Skin, Rain Dish, etc.?
Already answered

This doesn't really mean anything for Singles, but for Doubles/Triples…

Assuming Primordial Sea can be overwritten, someone could use a Clawitzer with Entrainment to give Primal Kyogre Mega Launcher. If its new move follows the rules and becomes boosted, few Pokémon (if any) could survive.

Assuming Primordial Sea can not be overwritten, someone would have to bring a Mega Blastoise all the way from XD where it can be tutored Mimic. More work, but it could be worth it.

Again, this is merely a lot of speculation, but we won't know until someone tries it.
This might actually turn out to be really effective, since according to Serebii Origin Pulse can hit multiple targets and thus be really deadly in doubles/triples.

The Mega Launcher stuff bring back into question the mechanics of removing the Primordial Sea ability. If you remove it does the weather revert back to Clear Skies? (I think it would) and if that's the case all you're doing when you give Primal Kyogre Mega Launcher is replacing one 50% boost with another one.

Very true. Although depending on the mechanics of of combined Mega and Primal limits I imagine non-primal Groudon will become a very rare sight. And for that reason non-primal Kyogre will become much less common too
Yeah, I was reflecting about the pros and cons of Kyogre and Primal Kyogre.

Assuming no stat changes, since I don't want to speculate wildly:
- Kyogre can use Choice Scarf to outspeed lots of threats and hit hard with rain-boosted Water Spouts/Hydro Pumps as it has always done since gen 4. Still effective, but now it was to watch out for Primal Groudon and can't even hit it super-effectively with Ice Beam. A decrease in usage is to be expected.

- Primal Kyogre still has issues with switching into Primal Groudons non-fire moves, but it can always come in after a team-mate has fallen or a slow U-Turn. It has some perks over regular Kyogre in that it doesn't take damage from fire moves, and thus has an easier time staying healthy for Water Spout. On the other hand, Kyogre has never particularly fast for Ubers and that isn't likely to change.

Since primal devolution has been shown to activate in battle, I think it's safe to assume it's just another name for a mega evolution and there will be a 100 BST increase, so that Primal Groudon's attack/Primal Kyogre's sp.atk will lie between 180~200. This will further expand Primal Kyogre's edge over Scarf Kyogre, but the speed will always be an issue.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
It seems that Drizzle and Drought will still have some use in Singles, due to weather teams, but in Doubles these new abilities are mandatory. Nice to see Groudon can now really check Kyogre n_n

It seems that Drizzle and Drought will still have some use in Singles, due to weather teams, but in Doubles these new abilities are mandatory. Nice to see Groudon can now really check Kyogre n_n
Double Ubers perhaps. I doubt you'll see these 2 in anything except a special rules Nintendo tournament.

Also, Gallade just looks boss. Total Super Hero, and I can't wait to use him.

It is kind of "wild" speculation to assume where the metagame will go. But if the +100 BST (or whatever number) comes with any speed boost at all Choice Scarf becomes a lot less required for Kyogre. Personally, Kyogre's current ridiculousness makes me expect Primal Groudon will become super used to the point where you pretty much have to use Primal Kyogre. (like seriously the non-primal version of each one gets totally shit on by their primal rival) I think choice locked Water Spouts aren't going to be a thing we see much of at all anymore. You go primal or you go home.

at least that's my "wild" speculation. Neither one strictly beats the other, it depends on switching. And for that reason I don't really know that either one is claiming a throne. Maybe they've just become the two mad kings? Or maybe Xerneas is just kind of laughing from his throne while his possible greatest enemies neutralize each other.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Since primal devolution has been shown to activate in battle, I think it's safe to assume it's just another name for a mega evolution and there will be a 100 BST increase, so that Primal Groudon's attack/Primal Kyogre's sp.atk will lie between 180~200. This will further expand Primal Kyogre's edge over Scarf Kyogre, but the speed will always be an issue.
The primal Groudon/Kyogre cutscenes in front of Brendan/May in the previous trailer suggest that they can be activated before a battle, although that might be a special case like Zoroark's illusion in the BW event.

Now another speculation would be whether these forms are revertable mid battle so the player has access to both super and regular weathers depending on the situation.

Anyways, I'm just psyched at the thought of a Firemon countering waters. I've had thoughts of a Fire/Ground mon with Storm Drain before and how that could fill so many holes in my teams and perhaps Primal Groudon will provide just that n_n

Here's the thing about Primal Groudon. It's not the ability itself granting the immunity to Water moves, it's the weather itself. So Mold Breaker won't allow Water Moves to hit it!

If it was the ability, it would have triggered when Hydro Pump was used.
Would it? The weather is directly tied to the ability this time (unlike drought or drizzle where the weather persists for 5 turns regardless), so if the ability leaves so does the weather. Wouldn't that activate mold breaker?

Although that does mean that Groudon would be forced to switch if hit by Mummy, for all the novelty that would be.

Gah! I need to stop speculating on competitiveness of unreleased variables. But it's so addictive...

Looking back at the video, M-Gallade's animation is seriously awesome. Why oh why did you get Inner Focus?

Thanks. Well that's disappointing. It would have been nice for certain moves and abilities to get a boost. I was especially hoping those weather-dependent healing moves to get a boost. It irks me that just b/c they can heal more in one of four weather conditions (and not one of the better ones) that they only get a max PP of 8, whereas the standard healing move gets double the amount of PP.

AV Palkia seems to be a great partner for Primal Groudon, since the duo can wall pretty much everything Kyogre throws at them, but what about a partner for Primal Kyogre that can deal with P. Groudon? Any suggestions?

I think it's safe to suppose the new moves will have additional effects, so what do you guys expect?
What I can tell from what's confirmed. Both attacks allow you to hit multiple targets, but it doesn't specify if they hit adjacent pokemon.

For Precipice Blades, you can hear the super effective sound again when it hits Blaziken in the trailer, so I think it's safe to assume it's ground type. I really hope Precipice Blades isn't exactly like EQ. It seems from the animation that it will likely have a higher base power, but possibly lower accuracy. I don't want to speculate on it's ability to hit fliers since that's probably going to be exclusive to Thousand Arrows, but perhaps it has a chance to burn tying back to Groudon's new fire-type?

I think it's safe to assume Origin Pulse is probably water type. Originally I thought Origin Pulse looked too much like Psystrike to not be a water type version, but if what Serebii says is true and it's able to hit multiple opponents then I'm not so sure anymore. It could still be a water type version of Psystrike that hits all opposing pokemon I guess.

Both moves look like they may be original and not based on any previous signature moves, but we won't know until they reveal more about them. I'm pretty sure we got more clarification on Xerneas's and Yveltal's signature moves after they were revealed, so it's only a matter of time.

Would it? The weather is directly tied to the ability this time (unlike drought or drizzle where the weather persists for 5 turns regardless), so if the ability leaves so does the weather. Wouldn't that activate mold breaker?
Nope. Mold Breaker just bypasses the enemy's ability when performing a move. It won't cancel out a field ability like Drought or Drizzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)