The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, when you commit 9 penalties and 3 turnovers your team is unlikely to see success in the NFL. I'm hoping this is just a slow start for Pittsburgh and they will get it going after 5 turns.

Normally I'm fine with spanking (even with a belt), but looking at those pics, that's taking it way too far, you should never be spanking hard enough to cut a kid like that.

So come on, where's all the bleeding hearts calling for AP's suspension, got enough of them to axe Ray Rice after all. Or is child abuse more acceptable than domestic violence? /sarcasm

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok guys, much like the Ray Rice incident let's hang tight a second before passing judgment. All we see right now are some pictures of wounds from a single incident. Now, this does not make it right in any way, shape or form to inflict them, but let's not start assuming AP has a pattern of abuse without evidence.

For some perspective, one time when I was little my dad got me with the belt and I got a cut because I tried to run from it and it caught me a funny way. Did my dad abuse me? No.

Now, the above anecdotal example applies to me. I'm not saying this is what happened in AP's case, I'm just saying we don't know for sure because we were not there. For all we know he really IS a terrible father and beats his child, but he could also just have made a one-time mistake.

tl;dr - don't crucify the guy until we know the whole story, please.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
From what I've seen and heard, AP has fully cooperated with the authorities and has not lied about a single thing and is accepting responsibility. I've been spanked with wooden spoons plenty of times, but never a switch. He said his dad did it to him, and I don't doubt that at all, but times have changed and now corporal punishment is much less accepted (for better or for worse). Seeing the pictures, it looks like AP went a bit too far, and I read that he texted the mother saying something like "I gave him 5 extra licks and he didn't cry, kid's tough as nails". He didn't even know the damage he was inflicting, and therein lies the problem. This was not a malevolent crime, there is no pattern of abuse, and I don't see how the courts throw the book at him for this, but I guarantee the NFL will use this and make an example of him, unfortunately, because of all their recent ridiculous blunders.

Kudos to the Vikings for doing the right things, though. Rather than let his status for Sunday hang in the balance, thereby allowing the media talking heads to focus on whether he plays and detracting from the real story, they took the step to deactivate him. Of course, the first year since he's gotten into the league that I actually got him in a fantasy league, this happens. OH SHIT I JUST DID THE SAME TH

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I agree it doesn't look malevolent, I have a nasty feeling the media will spin this in an awful light though and i sincerely hope not, AP is my favourite NFL player...

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think the qq about physical punishment towards children is such bs and nonsense, a couple spanks when the kid's a brat isn't going to give them daddy issues. Setting no boundaries/punishments is the real problem.

That being said, difficult to tell to what degree the switch punishment was dealt out and if it was reasonable for the child's disobedience or if he went too far. I think cutting a kid up is too far and there should be some consequences. Haven't looked at the images to see how badly the kid was scuffed up.

NFL players are entertainers, not sports stars, first and foremost. Part of the big NFL media circus. If their public images go against the societal standard - domestic violence/abuse/DUIs/etc. - then they should be punished for putting that bad light onto their team/reputation. They don't simply exist to play the sport, sorry to anyone confused about that. They exist to make money in a public over-exposed setting by playing said sport, but off the field offenses are included in their contracts.

Seahawks lookin to put on again this season. That being said I'm not sure whether to be confident the Chargers aren't looking like they can fully execute or be very nervous about an upset/dark horse sort of game. A reckless team off the rails is probably more dangerous to a solid team with intentional execution than another intentional team is.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
If you think antonio brown should have been punished you are saying that hurdling defenders should be too, thats all he was trying to do.

From what I've seen and heard, AP has fully cooperated with the authorities and has not lied about a single thing and is accepting responsibility. I've been spanked with wooden spoons plenty of times, but never a switch. He said his dad did it to him, and I don't doubt that at all, but times have changed and now corporal punishment is much less accepted (for better or for worse). Seeing the pictures, it looks like AP went a bit too far, and I read that he texted the mother saying something like "I gave him 5 extra licks and he didn't cry, kid's tough as nails". He didn't even know the damage he was inflicting, and therein lies the problem. This was not a malevolent crime, there is no pattern of abuse, and I don't see how the courts throw the book at him for this, but I guarantee the NFL will use this and make an example of him, unfortunately, because of all their recent ridiculous blunders.

Kudos to the Vikings for doing the right things, though. Rather than let his status for Sunday hang in the balance, thereby allowing the media talking heads to focus on whether he plays and detracting from the real story, they took the step to deactivate him. Of course, the first year since he's gotten into the league that I actually got him in a fantasy league, this happens. OH SHIT I JUST DID THE SAME TH
the pictures showed a 4-year old with deep cuts a week after it happened. this was a kid where peterson is barely a part of his life, but he just has the right to hit him? anyone defending this but condemning ray rice is a lunatic. i'm not suggesting everyone takes a child psychology class but beating a 4-year old is nothing but abuse. peterson and rice are both complete scumbags. how anyone can say beating a child until and after he bleeds is socially acceptable. "but my granddaddy beat us", your granddaddy also might have been a racist it doesn't mean you defend something that is absolutely awful. guess what your parents or granddaddy might just have been pieces of shit if they beat you like this.

i wouldn't even care if these people weren't the same ones saying ray rice should never play again. "peterson cooperated with authorities" i don't really remember rice not cooperating or refusing to accept his punishment...he's just accepted it as a big mistake he made.

edit: oh my god someone said this could have been a 1 time incident, wasnt ray rice drunk and apparently the first time it had happened? we don't know the full story there either so why is it in peterson's case that we should give him the benefit of the doubt. why are we so afraid to just label both of them as shitty people

Last edited:
It shouldn't be possible with how talented the bucs are on defense.

It's a sad day. The Seahawks are 1-1 with a legit chance of being 1-2 next week. I don't want to see that but I don't want peyton to lose. Which brings me to my next point. This broncos team is just playing terrible football. The drives they allowed in the second half are disgraceful. Peyton getting shutout in the second half is disgraceful. This team is a shame to the game. The way they can't close out games is pathetic. You can't run the damn ball... why do you keep trying.. Then they keep this crap going until they face and lose pathetically to an inferior patriots team. Its pathetic and happens every year. Peytons stats are garbage compared to last year too(even if it was obvious to everyone he wasn't going to drop 5400/55 I wasn't expecting it to be this huge of a drop off).

Last edited:
while we're all bashing teams, how about a moment for the jets, blowing an 18 point lead so that later, on what would have been the game tying td pass, their dumbass offense coordinator had to call timeout to negate it

as a packers fan, that was the hardest i laughed all week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)