The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As President Shinra noted, August's stats are now up.

Have fun dealing with the drops to the tier and all that junk, and remember that you cannot use them for this challenge this month though you should probably know that by now.

Is anybody else impressed that Snorlax is a Dark Horse while Milotic remains above the threshold?

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Solid amount of Froslass and Tornadus usage. My guess is they will be UU by the end of the month. Also lol Lets let Miltoic drop when we eventually take Alomomola. No access to a computer right now so I wont't build a team just yet, as I kinda want A rank to get my final points lol. Also Zam usage is dropping, which is surprising imo. Crobat is finally top 5 where he deserves, same with MegaDactyl. Usage looks like a pretty good indicator of the mea right now, except for that god damn Florges which I doubt will go down for a long time.

Topped ladder with similar team so this should work for A rank this month.

User: DH1 xMarth
This user has not played any ladder games yet.

Florges | 16.26120%
Tentacruel | 4.86651%
Noivern | 4.28401%
Dugtrio | 2.01267%
Cobalion | 1.41070%
Cresselia | 0.94820%

Total: ~31%

First Dark Horse attempt

Last edited:
I dont think snorlax will be a dark horse for long tbh. With hera out of the way, its going to have an easier time coming in on physical attackers not named shao. Ill be making a team by this weekend.

But, just speculating, we are going to see some huge changes next month. With slowbro and mew gone, thats 20% of top usage that is gone. I think we may see mega amphy rise alot as a toge check along with Queen who rose 1.5% almost. So, we may get some interesting dark horses next month! :-)

But, looking at the meta now, im feeling either sticky web or stall will be really viable thanks to mew and heras depature.

Edit: i have a team, but will playtest first. Its made to take advantage of mew leaving and.toge dropping specifically. With everybody playing with new toys, ill have a team to counter/check most of the new threats. Well in theory anyway! :-)

Last edited:

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Aromatisse 2.02586%
Snorlax 3.95660%
Jellicent 0.87602%
Chesnaught 6.51426
Jirachi 9.20796%
Tentacruel 4.86651%

total - like 27

Idk if i'll actually get around to laddering with this team until after ULT ends, but it's godly so

Kitten Milk the team im testing is really similar to yours. Aromatisse tenta and lax form a great core to check the pokes that will rise even more in usage thanks to bro and mew leaving, specifically the nidos. Chesnaught will be able to handke vap and quagy very well.

Good team you have there though!

CoolStoryBrobat ill be posting my team tonight when i have a chance to create a new alt.

All i want to say now is that Winter is Coming...

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok 1 last time hopefully.

Alt: RIP Savior Dog

Savior Dog (Houndoom)
Alomomola
Snorlax

Jirachi
Toxicroak
Granbull

~27.2%

Let's see how this team does!

Fresh Alt: FrostyPaws

User: frostypaws

Dark Horses in bold...

Abomasnow: 1.22%

Nidoqueen: 5.42%
Aromatisse: 2.03%
Snorlax: 3.96%

Tentacruel: 4.87%
Rotom-H: 5.78%
Total: 23.28%

Who would've thought that Tenta would have more usage than Snorlax...

Up to about 1250 already after 45 minutes. The only poke i'm not too sure about is Rotom-H at this point. It's good, but we'll see!

Let's see how this team does!

Fresh Alt: FrostyPaws

User: frostypaws

Dark Horses in bold...

Abomasnow: 1.22%

Nidoqueen: 5.42%
Aromatisse: 2.03%
Snorlax: 3.96%

Tentacruel: 4.87%
Rotom-H: 5.78%Chandelure:10.23%
Total: 27.73% now...

Who would've thought that Tenta would have more usage than Snorlax...
Subbing out Rotom-H for Chandy.

alright I guess we'll see.

Fresh Alt: LukeDH

Dark horses in bold:

Amoonguss: 2.29%
Porygon2: 4.67%
Alomomola: 3.03%
Nidoqueen: 5.31%
Aerodactyl: 12.68%
Krookodile: 6.68%

Total usage: 34.66 (AKA just squeaking by)

first thoughts: Amoonguss and Alomomola seem like pretty darn good DH's. Otherwise I was somehow able to escape with that much usage.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hmm... I don't think I'll be able to do anything this round, but in my head I've been toying around with the idea of Mega-Abomasnow, Blizzard Kyurem, stallbreaker Sigilyph and Rhyperior. Glancing at the stats, the highest usage on any of those is Rhyperior at 2.06%. Maybe I'll try to put something together for next month (assuming the stats don't change dramatically between now and then).

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm... I don't think I'll be able to do anything this round, but in my head I've been toying around with the idea of Mega-Abomasnow, Blizzard Kyurem, stallbreaker Sigilyph and Rhyperior. Glancing at the stats, the highest usage on any of those is Rhyperior at 2.06%. Maybe I'll try to put something together for next month (assuming the stats don't change dramatically between now and then).
You got literally all month to try your hand, unless you just want to avoid getting bunced out of the Hall of Fame by someone else using the same Dark Horses as you. Even then I'd probably still shoot for it if I were you!

btw what set is Stallbreaker Sigilyph? Is it Stored Power or...

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You got literally all month to try your hand, unless you just want to avoid getting bunced out of the Hall of Fame by someone else using the same Dark Horses as you. Even then I'd probably still shoot for it if I were you!
Bah, I've been having trouble getting the team to actually cover most relevant threats. I might tinker with the concept some more for next , but in the mean time, I've been playing around with a Dog Rush team in its stead, and I think I've tweaked it enough to be willing to give it a shot. Playing with it on my main got me up to 1546.

OK, here goes. Using the alt Dhalgren, and the following team:

Aerodactyl 12.91%
Hippowdon 6.47%
Entei 5.41%
Starmie 4.34%
Amoongus 2.30%
Stoutland 0.57%

Comes out to 32% total.

btw what set is Stallbreaker Sigilyph? Is it Stored Power or...
Yeah, CM + Stored Power + Roost Sigilyph. Can set up against Blissey, Quagsire, Chesnaught, Gligar, and similar stall staples, and doesn't care about Unaware thanks to Stored Power's boost. It OHKOs Blissey with plenty to spare at +6, and wins most CM wars thanks to STAB Stored Power and pretty good speed. The big question is always whether to run Psycho Shift/Flame Orb, which does a decent job of checking physical attackers and keeps him safe from Spore (but can't touch Houndoom or Roost Hydreigon), or Life Orb and Air Slash/Dazzling Gleam for the coverage, which means getting chased out by strong physical attackers.

Last edited:
Hogg sigi did get dazzling gleam in coveragd tbis gen, so it can actually get past said dark types now.

Also, im up to about 1360-1400 as of this morning. Mega snow is such an underrated threat and a fantastic late game cleaner. He is actually able to beat most relevant threats and megas including amphy and aero once boosted. Im not going to give away too much, but i have loads of replays. I may actually do a RMT on this team!

Fresh Alt: shinra sux

Dark Horses in bold:

Feraligatr: 0.32452%
Jirachi: 9.20796%
Aromatisse: 2.02586%
Nidoqueen: 5.41587%
Infernape: 11.10718%
Snorlax: 3.95660%

Total: ~32% (or at least something below 35%)

From testing this team looks pretty good, as I've played like 10 games in the 14-1500s of the ladder and only lost once (due to a very SKILLFUL scarf Togekiss) so I think it should be fine.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Haven't had a chance to do much laddering yet - only played 10 games so far. It's doing alright thus far, taking all of its games on the low end of the ladder easily (except against one team with the odd combination of Vaporeon and a bulky Safety Goggles Metagross - as it turns out, all of my counters to one were pretty completely walled by the other). I'm considering swapping Entei for Rotom-H, which will still keep me at about 32%, but we'll see.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Name is DH Meowiekins
View attachment 25979
Team is
Uxie .47%
Whimsicott 1.37%
Haxorus 10.13%
Crobat 15.88%
Alomomola 3.11%
Exploud .96%
31.92% total

Team is focused around Paralysis and Tailwind for speed control. Interesting experience while testing so far and it seems pretty fun. Alomo will definitely not be a dark horse for long but Exploud is a monster under Tailwind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)