Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

canno

formerly The Reptile
Mario and Link are surprisingly not terrible. I'm actually kind of hyped to play Dr. Mario now because F.L.U.D.D. is still shitty

The post back at page 90 doesn't show Sheik's B-Down, could anyone tell me what it is? Sheik, Marth, and Yoshi (Ike and Lucario as secondary) were what I played throughout SSBB and I'm wondering if it's worth for me to try to get good with Sheik again when I get the game.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
The post back at page 90 doesn't show Sheik's B-Down, could anyone tell me what it is? Sheik, Marth, and Yoshi (Ike and Lucario as secondary) were what I played throughout SSBB and I'm wondering if it's worth for me to try to get good with Sheik again when I get the game.
Sheik's down special is Bouncing Fish. It is basically just ZSS' down special I believe? It might have some kind of special unique quality to it, but it is basically just ZSS' attack on Sheik.

That's a flavour of it. It does damage to enemies and bounces off of them, but if an enemy isn't there it is just an upwards spring.

I disagree. If you want to blame anything, blame your own attitude. What right does anyone have to complain about free stuff? You're basically getting the bare basics of the game a few weeks early... For free. Nobody cares if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

Mew2
Well yes, that too.

Really there are any number of things to blame, not just one.

Still, its only a week before the demo is open for all.

The real kicker out of sheik's moveset this game is the grenades-- they pull people towards you, which makes followups super easy.

Don't see the issue with standing utilting and pivot utilting in brawl, although I did dedicate a small amount of time to executing just that... It's almost as important as short hopping.

Reactions: jrp
You told Nintendo you didn't want them to send you promotional material, so they didn't. There's no sliding scale here.
actually there is, apparently if you have an older club nintendo account there was no option for promotional material (it was just for a monthly newsletter) that a lot of people opted out of.

when they added the "promotional" box or whatever, it was opt-out by default for those who had older accounts, but opt-in by default for anyone that makes a new account. I've had an account for 4-5 years or something and have never known about it.

not too upset about missing out on the demo (c'mon guys, we're getting it Friday anyway), but I'm going to give emailing them a shot and suggest people in the same boat to give it a try as well.

actually there is, apparently if you have an older club nintendo account there was no option for promotional material (it was just for a monthly newsletter) that a lot of people opted out of.

when they added the "promotional" box or whatever, it was opt-out by default for those who had older accounts, but opt-in by default for anyone that makes a new account. I've had an account for 4-5 years or something and have never known about it.

not too upset about missing out on the demo (c'mon guys, we're getting it Friday anyway), but I'm going to give emailing them a shot and suggest people in the same boat to give it a try as well.
Also try opting in to emails anyway. (You don't need to register a 3DS, just 3DS material)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I completely forgot that the demo has a vs. mode. I need to use this more.

On another note, I heard that Doc's killpower isn't as reliable as it is in Melee. This saddens me.

breh

強いだね
In case anybody else had no fucking clue where the last one came from but knew it sounded REALLY familiar, it's this song from The Mysterious Murasame Castle (the one where Takamaru is from) that appeared in the Mario Bros. stage.

I'm glad that these remixes are better than brawl's so far.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've heard rumours that the current 3DS roster can be expanded by linking it up with the Wii U (in order to unlock further remaining characters). It seems unlikely at this point.

One thing that seems to be hinting in this favour is certain characters no longer being assist trophies who could potentially be characters unlocked in the Wii U version. Isaac from Golden Sun is a notable example, Ray MK II is another.

It has been stated that the Assist trophies would vary in the two version, and Isaac could very well be a Assist trophy only on the Wii U. However, given that the Golden Sun series games are on handheld consoles, this would be very likely in Isaac's case. So hopefully Isaac becomes playable when we get the Wii U version. Of course this is theorymon and Isaac could have been cut entirely as an Assist Trophy.

I've heard rumours that the current 3DS roster can be expanded by linking it up with the Wii U (in order to unlock further remaining characters). It seems unlikely at this point.

One thing that seems to be hinting in this favour is certain characters no longer being assist trophies who could potentially be characters unlocked in the Wii U version. Isaac from Golden Sun is a notable example, Ray MK II is another.

It has been stated that the Assist trophies would vary in the two version, and Isaac could very well be a Assist trophy only on the Wii U. However, given that the Golden Sun series games are on handheld consoles, this would be very likely in Isaac's case. So hopefully Isaac becomes playable when we get the Wii U version. Of course this is theorymon and Isaac could have been cut entirely as an Assist Trophy.
At the moment, it's nothing more than fan theory and hopes. I wouldn't buy into any hype for it for a while.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm really disappointed in Dark Pit as a character. Not only does he bear virtually nothing unique in his moveset, but even his Final Smash is just Zelda/Sheik's. Maybe I'll eat my words when I get to play both Pits in the full game, but as of now, I'm seeing no reason for this character to be in the game. Lucina is already an iffy addition, we didn't need this.

I'm really disappointed in Dark Pit as a character. Not only does he bear virtually nothing unique in his moveset, but even his Final Smash is just Zelda/Sheik's. Maybe I'll eat my words when I get to play both Pits in the full game, but as of now, I'm seeing no reason for this character to be in the game. Lucina is already an iffy addition, we didn't need this.
I can agree with you. As I think getting Dr. Mario back and adding Lucina and Dark Pit is cool, I don't see why those 3 made it in over characters like Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
I can agree with you. As I think getting Dr. Mario back and adding Lucina and Dark Pit is cool, I don't see why those 3 made it in over characters like Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake.
Ice Climbers were left out because there were issues with getting them to work properly on the 3DS version. Snake was only planned for inclusion in one Smash game, which was actually supposed to be Melee. Unfortunately, they were too late in production, so it couldn't be done. He ended up being included into a Brawl as a favor to Kojima and his son, as well as a way to introduce Snake and the Metal Gear series to a wider audience, and it worked. Snake honestly doesn't need to be in Smash 4.

As for Lucas and Wolf, it was probably the lack of popularity for the characters.

Doc Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit are there because they were relatively simple additions compared to other characters, they are an extra, not something that "took a spot" from whatever character people wanted instead.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Do you remember the roster in Melee? Where there were all kinds of clones - and plenty of them? Sakurai said that he doesn't like clone characters, but he added them into Melee to buff up the roster. It's pretty obvious that he did the same thing here... Sakurai just wanted 3 more characters after deciding on the main bulk of his roster and he chose some of the most popular Nintendo characters not already included - Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. They didn't "steal a spot" from anyone else, because if they were not in the game we would just have a 46 character roster as opposed to a 49.

Last edited:
he chose some of the most popular Nintendo characters there have ever been - Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario.
This is not accurate.
Lucina is debatable, but overall Fire Emblem isn't a very well known franchise.
Dr. Mario is only popular because of Melee, and I doubt you can say he is as popular as Mario/Link/Pikachu/Samus, etc.
Dark Pit is very obviously only in this game because Sakurai directed KI:U.

breh

強いだね
some of the most popular Nintendo characters there have ever been - Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario
If you haven't played FE:A you have no clue who Lucina is, if you haven't played KI:U you have even less clue who Dark Pit is, and Dr. Mario is something that is more "it exists" rather than "ZOMG I WANNA PLAY AS DR. MARIO".

As for Lucas and Wolf, it was probably the lack of popularity for the characters.
Lucas in smash more or less by himself introduced Mother 3 to a worldwide audience. Nintendo's enigmatic unwillingness to release Mother 3 to U.S. audiences is known enough that it was even joked about in the E3 video that the Robot Chicken people made. Lucas is to Mother 3 what Marth and Roy were to Fire Emblem. You can claim that Wolf is unpopular, I guess (frankly, a character I could not stand to play as), but I still think that removing him was a poor choice since he's a lot less of a clone of fox than falco is / was (yes, I know the hitboxes / damage / etc. on everything is different, but more or less every single move is the same in appearance between the two beyond (off the top of my head) falco's f-smash being a slash and fox's being a cartwheel).

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

aaaaaaaaa
Dat Music. There is no possible way to like it more. Smash has the best soundtracks ever.

OMG this:

Also the did 8Bit Retro on several of the Kirby songs, which is kind of awesome in its own way. I'm sure they'll also have remixes and the like.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)