XY RU RU Team needs a bit of help

To be completely honest, I suck at RU. I've been trying to make this team work, but typically loses to things like Jolteon and Stall teams. Gallade seems to also be a problem. Any help would be appreciated :]

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpA / 152 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Protect

Sharpedo is my late-game cleaner, and the main focus of this team. 2 main physical stabs in Waterfall and Crunch while Ice Beam can be used to take down physical walls such as Non-AV Tangrowth and Gligar. He can also be a good check to Jolteon after 2 Speed Boosts, but only OHKOS when Stealth Rocks or Spikes are on the field.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Magneton exists simply for taking down bulky water types such as Alomomola and Omastar. I've also been trying to use it for trapping Registeel and Bronzong, the latter working effectively while the former, not so much. Also loses to other electric types which seem to be a big problem to my team. I've been thinking of replacing him with Heliolisk or Jolteon.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Knock Off

One of the 2 physical walls in my core, Cofagrigus main job is to wall things that can typically counter Sharpedo, mainly Poliwrath and Barbaracle, who can set up on Sharpedo easily. Having Mummy and burning things is quite fun too.

Drapion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Drapion... is probably the worst member of my team. Thinking of a good partner for Cofagrigus, Drapion resists both of it's weaknesses and can also play the role of a decent special wall. It used to be a utility set with black sludge and more of a defensive spread, but realized that an AV Drapion actually takes hits better than a Drapion fully invested in SpDef. Any replacement for this guy would be nice.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Gligar, another physical wall. Also serves as my hazard remover so Sharpedo can come in without taking a lot of damage, considering its frailness and it's Life Orb recoil. EQ used to be Acrobatics, but the former is bit more useful for my team. U-turn may be switched to Knock Off or Rocks, but a slow Volt-Turner is extremely useful for getting Sharpedo in unscathed.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Surf

This monster easily helps weaken or even faint potential threats to the team. Not much more to say but he just spam Boombursts.​

Any RU pros please RMT and give suggestions because this tier looks extremely fun if played correctly. Thanks.

Replays weren't working, sorry you can't see the team in action.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, you might want to add a few more lines of description to each Pokemon before this ends up getting locked, rmt rules :x.

Either way, i'm here to try and help you out with your team, so lets hop to it!

You said that you felt that you struggled with Electric-types, and that you've been thinking of replacing Magneton a bit. I'd definitely agree. I've never really liked Choice Scarf Magneton in this metagame, and i'd advise trying out Life Orb Jolteon over it. Life Orb Jolteon naturally outspeeds Choice Scarf Magneton and because it can get to that kind of speed without using a boosting item, it can hit much harder thanks to Life Orb's boost. Without being Burdened by a Choice Item, Jolteon can switch moves too! Personally my two favorite coverage moves to use on Jolteon or Hidden Power Water and Signal Beam, but you can play around with other Hidden Powers/Shadow Ball if you want.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch

Secondly, Assault Vest Drapion is pretty mediocre imo (just a general note: most RU Pokemon shouldn't be holding Assault Vest, Escavalier, Slowking, Druddigon, and Eelektross are the only ones i'd ever use with it tbh), and i definitely agree with trying to replace it. One Pokemon you could try out in Drapion's place is Druddigon. Druddigon would pretty much completely seal your vulnerability to Electric-type moves, gives you a handy Delphox check and Fire-type resist in general (Sharpedo's really frail so i wouldn't count on it often for those kinds of things honestly), and most importantly gives your team a way to set up Stealth Rock, something you currently lack. There are two ways to go about using Stealth Rock Druddigon, bulky offensive and defensive, and you can choose which one you think would work best here.

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin / Sheer Force
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Punch

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch

Lastly, i'd suggest trying out Eviolite Doublade over Cofagrigus. Doublade can easily take on the vast majority of things Cofagrigus can (it takes on Cobalion and Virizion even better!) while providing a great offensive presence and a giving you solid way for your team to get around Aromatisse and Abomasnow: two Pokemon that you'd struggle with if you did the last two changes without adding Doublade. It should help out quite a bit with your Gallade problem too thanks to its absurd physical bulk and access to Shadow Sneak.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Hope i helped!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm no regular RU player but I think Gligar is better off running Immunity instead of Sand Veil. Good luck with your team!
Immunity is actually illegal with Defog, Defog is a gen 4 HM move while immunity is a BW and after hidden ability :x.

Immunity is actually illegal with Defog, Defog is a gen 4 HM move while immunity is a BW and after hidden ability :x.
Whoops sorry bout that! Really hard memorizing all the TM/HM/Tutor compatibility combinations. Thanks for clearing that out Molk!

Hey dude, you might want to add a few more lines of description to each Pokemon before this ends up getting locked, rmt rules :x.

Either way, i'm here to try and help you out with your team, so lets hop to it!

You said that you felt that you struggled with Electric-types, and that you've been thinking of replacing Magneton a bit. I'd definitely agree. I've never really liked Choice Scarf Magneton in this metagame, and i'd advise trying out Life Orb Jolteon over it. Life Orb Jolteon naturally outspeeds Choice Scarf Magneton and because it can get to that kind of speed without using a boosting item, it can hit much harder thanks to Life Orb's boost. Without being Burdened by a Choice Item, Jolteon can switch moves too! Personally my two favorite coverage moves to use on Jolteon or Hidden Power Water and Signal Beam, but you can play around with other Hidden Powers/Shadow Ball if you want.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch

Secondly, Assault Vest Drapion is pretty mediocre imo (just a general note: most RU Pokemon shouldn't be holding Assault Vest, Escavalier, Slowking, Druddigon, and Eelektross are the only ones i'd ever use with it tbh), and i definitely agree with trying to replace it. One Pokemon you could try out in Drapion's place is Druddigon. Druddigon would pretty much completely seal your vulnerability to Electric-type moves, gives you a handy Delphox check and Fire-type resist in general (Sharpedo's really frail so i wouldn't count on it often for those kinds of things honestly), and most importantly gives your team a way to set up Stealth Rock, something you currently lack. There are two ways to go about using Stealth Rock Druddigon, bulky offensive and defensive, and you can choose which one you think would work best here.

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin / Sheer Force
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Punch

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch

Lastly, i'd suggest trying out Eviolite Doublade over Cofagrigus. Doublade can easily take on the vast majority of things Cofagrigus can (it takes on Cobalion and Virizion even better!) while providing a great offensive presence and a giving you solid way for your team to get around Aromatisse and Abomasnow: two Pokemon that you'd struggle with if you did the last two changes without adding Doublade. It should help out quite a bit with your Gallade problem too thanks to its absurd physical bulk and access to Shadow Sneak.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Hope i helped!
Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between HP Ice and HP Water on Jolteon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)