Rotom [QC 3/3]

taken over from FLCL, write-up completed by me

GP: --/--

Overview
########

Rotom's wide support movepool and ability to run multiple sets makes it a huge threat in the current NU metagame. Rotom's wide support movepool ranges from but is not limited to Trick, Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave, and Pain Split. Rotom's good defensive typing also allows it to pivot into Normal- and Fighting-type attacks, and is immune to Ground-type attacks due to Levitate. To back all this up, Rotom also hits the base 95 Speed tier, allowing to outspeed most threats in NU such as Zangoose and Feraligatr. However, Rotom is fairly weak without a Life Orb or Choice Specs. Furthermore, Rotom's good defensive typing can't cover up for its terrible defenses.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Trick
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Volt Switch allows Rotom to gain momentum as well as act as a pivot. Shadow Ball is a STAB, and has decent coverage with Volt Switch. Thunderbolt is an alternate STAB attack that does more damage than Volt Switch and keeps Rotom in. Will-O-Wisp can also be used to cripple physical attackers such as Kangaskhan. Trick is a mandatory attack that allows Rotom to cripple walls such as Audino, Cryogonal, Dragalge, and Seismitoad.

Set Details
========

252 Special Attack EVs allow Rotom to hit hard, while 252 Speed EVs max out Rotom's Speed. A Timid Nature is necessary as it allows Rotom to outspeed many key threats such as Choice Scarf Sawk, Choice Scarf Mesprit, and Gorebyss after Shell Smash. Levitate is the ability as Rotom has no alternate abilities.

Usage Tips
========

Rotom's great defensive typing allows it to abuse its many resistances and immunities and pivot into attacks, while being able to use Volt Switch to keep the momentum for the team. When pivoting out with Volt Switch, Rotom should be wary of Pursuit users such as Liepard and Tauros, as they can easily rid of Rotom. While Trick seems appealing at first for crippling walls, using it recklessly can give the opponent the advantage, as most of the time the opponent will outspeed your team and can start revenge killing. Rotom can also use this set as a revenge killer, to finish off faster threats.

Team Options
========

Due to Rotom's tendency to pivot in and out of the match many times during a battle, Rapid Spin or Defog support from Pokemon such as Sandlash, Kabutops, and Pelipper is almost crucial, as hazards can easily wear down Rotom. While Rotom is not weak to bulky Ground-types, they can block Rotom's Volt Switch and ruin the team's momentum, as well as gradually wear down Rotom. For this reason, Pokemon such as Lilligant and Ferroseed make good partners as they can eliminate these threats.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Pain Split
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe

Moves
========

Will-O-Wisp cripples and wears down physical attackers such as Sawk, Kangaskhan, and Tauros. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt are both powerful STAB attacks. Pain Split allows Rotom to recover health while draining it from the opponent. Hex is an option to hit burned opponents much harder than Shadow Ball, but it can't be granted that each opponent will be burned. Volt Switch is also an option over Thunderbolt to gain momentum, but this set especially likes to stay in on opponents and wear them down. Rest and Sleep Talk can be used over a coverage move and a status move, but Rotom is not bulky enough to use it effectively.

Set Details
========

The EVs allow Rotom to outspeed Adamant Kangaskan so it can burn it. The Defense EVs and HP EVs add onto physical bulk, allowing Rotom to take physical hits better when it burns an opponent. More Speed EVs can be moved to Defense if physical bulk is a problem, but outspeeding threats can be very crucial at time. 252 Speed EVs can be used to outspeed Jolly Sawk and Jolly Kangaskan.
Usage Tips
========

Rotom's great typing allow it to pivot into Fighting-, Ground-, and Normal-type attacks, so it is advised to take advantage of this. Rotom should prioritize burning physical attackers, as despite the investment, Rotom's defenses are still very passable. Rotom also fails against strong special attackers, as they can easily OHKO Rotom. Albeit a bit obvious, Pain Split should only be used when Rotom has lower health than the opponent, or else it would add to the opponents health.

Team Options
========

Special walls can cover up Rotom's very exploitable Special Defense stat. Pokemon such as Audino, Ferroseed, and Cryogonal in particular are great partners as Rotom can take Fighting-type attacks that threaten them. Granbull is a good partner as it has Intimidate to allow Rotom to switch into physical attackers, and can also take Knock Off well.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Shadow ball
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Specs
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Volt Switch is used to gain momentum, allowing you to switch into a favorable matchup. Shadow Ball is a STAB that does decent damage with the boost from Choice Specs. Thunderbolt is Rotom's stronger STAB, and does not force a switch such like Volt Switch. Trick cripples walls such as Audino and Seismitoad, who can't do much when locked into one move.

Set Details
========

The given EVs are straightfoward; they max out Rotom's Special Attack and Speed stats. A Timid nature is used to outspeed Pokemon such as Sawk, Lilligant, and Kangaskan. Choice Specs is the given item as it not only allows Rotom to hit hard, but it also allows Rotom to use Trick to its best extent, and allows Rotom to cripple walls.

Usage Tips
========

This set is mainly used as a wallbreaker, to break through walls such as Uxie. Tougher special walls with reliable recovery such as Audino should not be attempted to break, but should be crippled using Trick, rendering them useless. Like all of Rotom's sets, this set works as a good pivot as it can pivot into Fighting-, Normal-, and Ground-type attacks and can pivot out with Volt Switch.

Team Options
========

Hazard support from Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Crustle is very good, as it allows Rotom to score more common OHKOs and 2HKOs, such as the 2HKO on Dragalge. Sweepers such as Feraligatr and Kabutops make great partners as Rotom can greatly weaken opponents to the point where sweepers can easily finish them off.

Other Options
########

Almost all of Rotom's already available options are showcased in the above sets. A Substitute + Pain Split set can be used, but Rotom struggles to find place for Substitute, as it'll then have to give up on either Will-O-Wisp, Trick, or a STAB move. A Substitute + Charge Beam set is also viable to boost Rotom's somewhat average Special Attack. A Dual Screens set with Light Clay can work, but Rotom is generally too frail to use it. A Parafusion set with Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray can also work, but it relies on luck and getting unlucky and letting Rotom get hit rarely has a good outcome.

Checks & Counters
########

**Electric-type immunities**: Pokemon such as Sandslash and Electivire can switch into Choice-locked Rotom and force a switch. These Pokemon can also ruin the momentum of Volt Switch.

**Pursuit**: While Dark-types in general are a problem for Rotom, Pursuit users can stop Rotom from safely pivoting out with Volt Switch can easily OHKO it.,

**Bulky Pokemon**: Bulkier Pokemon such as Hariyama aren't very threatened by Rotom's average Special Attack stat, and can stall it out.

**Faster Revenge Killers**: Faster Revenge killers such as Typhlosion can outspeed Rotom and OHKO it.

**Priority**: Priority attacks, especially Sucker Punch, can pick off on a weakened Rotom.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just make sure to flesh out all of the points that you had from FLCL's analysis, giving QC checks to FLCL we knew he would explain things more in write-up so just make sure you do the same :)

Also make sure that C&C is formatted properly

Last edited:
Just make sure to flesh out all of the points that you had from FLCL's analysis, giving QC checks to FLCL we knew he would explain things more in wright-up so just make sure you do the same :)

Also make sure that C&C is formatted properly
I will. As for C&C, I was going to format it properly when I fully wrote this up :)

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mysteria

Your write-up is really vague lol, it really feels like you rushed a lot while writing this and some sections lack relevant informations, some lack good exemples, and some of the usage tips are kinda weird and just feels wrong (especially the first one). Heck I am going to be honest, when reading this it felt like you never used Rotom as some of the usage tips and team options are bad too. Checks and Counter also needs some work, just naming one thing for priority and faster revenge killers is bad, Muk being mentionned in special walls alone is weird, and the way u wrote the Dark-types part is... weird too.

and where's the skeleton? I think your best bet right now is to go play around with all the Rotom sets and re-write FLCL's skeleton (without removing stuff and adding irrelevant stuff, just re-do it in your own words and flesh out all the points).

Mysteria

Your write-up is really vague lol, it really feels like you rushed a lot while writing this and some sections lack relevant informations, some lack good exemples, and some of the usage tips are kinda weird just feels wrong (especially the first one). Heck I am going to be honest, when reading this it felt like you never used Rotom as some of the usage tips and team options are bad too. Checks and Counter also needs some work, just naming one thing for priority and faster revenge killers is bad, Muk being mentionned in special walls alone is weird, and the way u wrote the Dark-types part is... weird too.

and where's the skeleton? I think your best bet right now is to go play around with all the Rotom sets and re-write FLCL's skeleton (without removing stuff and adding irrelevant stuff, just re-do it in your own words and flesh out all the points).
Sorry :[ I actually did kinda rush this because I've got a lot coming up this following week (which I did not expect) and didn't want this to be reassigned due to inactivity. Reading through it is pretty, well, bad. I just came back from a small break to focus on sports/schoolwork and I think my mind's a bit boggled up. I've worked with rotom before and worked off of flcl's skeleton basically without adding much. Again, I'm sorry, and i'll work on this :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)