Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Brick Break
- Seed Bomb

Belly Drum Chesnaught. Sub against someone you force out, then Belly Drum as they try to break your sub. Then the Salac Berry will activate and now you have a monster at +1 Speed and +6 Attack. Although you die to most priority >.<
I posted exactly the same set and almost the same description.

Dunno if this has been posted or mentioned already (and apologize in advance for my ignorance if thus is the case), but... I just gotta as it isn't on the analysis, and is a massively underrated set. I never see this in usage, yet, whenever I use it in OU and doubles, I've tripped up many a team, resulting in two or more KOs when played right.

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP (or any stat other than Atk and Spe really; it doesn't matter) / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Destiny Bond
- Waterfall
- Crunch

This Sharpedo aims to do massive damage with it's two physical STABs and maximum attack investment. Protect gives it an opportunity to set up a speed boost. While the loss of life orb seems dumb, focus sash has an important role to play. Sharpedo usually can't take more than one hit, and thus any neutral (even resisted) attack will almost immediately result in its death. With focus sash it can survive that fatal blow. But what could possibly be the point of that?

With Destiny Bond at hand, Sharpedo can catch an opponent off guard (thus resulting in an instant KO) or him/her think twice. After doing massive damage with STABs (and hopefully taking out a poke), Sharpedo can proceed to take a hit from it's opponent and reduce its HP to 1 thanks to focus sash. Next turn, you'll now be free to destiny bond and bring down the opponent's pokemon (which is hopefully fresh and at full health after you've brought down another poke).

Obviously, this thing will need some hazard support to keep focus sash intact. If full HP is broken, you'll have to keep Sharkie alive strategoca;;y to STAB attack or DB an opponent not carrying priority, or at least not a strong or medium powered hit. And if the opponent has priority, you can play around with destiny bond if at full health, or simply keep the thing alive for another pokemon you want to take down. It's not expected to face everything out there.

This Sharpedo isn't an all out nuke sweeper, but it's more of a, say, a remote-controlled exploding katana. You slash things hard with it, gathering up your speed boosts and agility, 'til you find it's not that much of use anymore. Then... BOOM! you blow it up and leave the opponent devastated. It's like a hard hitting, lure-ish, supporter that can assist just about any team that needs help against a certain (non-priority) pokemon that must be broken down.

Seriously, this thing is good, and it shocks me how people never use or expect this thing. There's nothing better than getting rid of that full health Ferrothorn and proceeding to sweep with your, for example, Grass Knot Greninja.

Welp I don't usually read the posts above me so I never saw it at the time...
I posted exactly the same set and almost the same description.
It doesn't really matter who posted this first. This set really isn't that good. Even though you are at +6, Chesnaught isn't too particularly fast, and even at +1 with max investment you'll still get out-sped by many common threats such as Greninja and a couple of scarfers. Not to mention Talonflame destroys you.
Plus it's move set is mediocre at best. Something like Skarmory with Whirlwind ruins this entire plan and leaves Chesnaught useless, and Taunt shuts this down completely.

My bad, second post here. Just thought up this cool set and wanted to know what you guys though about it:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248Hp/ 168Speed/ 88Def
Jolly Nature
- Whirlpool
- Bounce
- Taunt/ Thunder Wave
- Protect

This Gyarados set has a specific job. And thats removing his main checks/ counters via trap stalling (Ie; Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Celebi) Taunt screws over all of these while theyre trapped, meaning they're only option is hitting Gyara with a weak attack. T-Wave is optimal if your team has trouble with fast mons. Bounce/ Protect stall Whirlpool damage, as well as providing free Leftovers recovery. Taunt is there because its such a good move on Gyara to stop all those dam walls. Also has enough speed to outrun Loom etc

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- SolarBeam
- Roost/Tailwind
one thing i noticed about zard y is that because of its speed it often gets forced out after a kill. this kind of made overheat appealing(to me at least)because of its obscene power. like watch this:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 72 HP / 4 SpD Latias in Sun: 162-191 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
doing over half to a bulky resist. this things power is simply obscene. it also kind of fits with the fact that it should be doing as much as possible then switching out, roosting when necessary. its a really powerful special attacker, basically sacrificing staying power(normally gets 1 kill every time it can get in anyways)for obscene power. while i do agree that fire blast is overall more consistent, the power to just fucking incinerate stuff that doesnt resist it is tempting.

now for tailwind. i mentioned that zard y was often forced out after a kill. with tailwind, it can perform a good late game cleaner role. it has obscene power, and with tailwind, it becomes really fast. a fast zard y is a deadly zard y. with tailwind, would be checks are now useless against it. examples include thundurus(paras it tho, but can open the way for something else) mega pinsir(QA doesnt kill) scarf exca(not common but did check) terrakion, scarf mag, raikou, mega manectric, and a few others. just be sure to get powerful priority out of the way(it only dies to cb talon brave bird) and SR off the field and you have a p good late game sweeper. its also p unexpected. and it changes zard y to a sweeper as opposed to a wall breaker, and a powerful sweeper at that. sometimes no roost sucks tho.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- SolarBeam
- Roost/Tailwind
one thing i noticed about zard y is that because of its speed it often gets forced out after a kill. this kind of made overheat appealing(to me at least)because of its obscene power. like watch this:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 72 HP / 4 SpD Latias in Sun: 162-191 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
doing over half to a bulky resist. this things power is simply obscene. it also kind of fits with the fact that it should be doing as much as possible then switching out, roosting when necessary. its a really powerful special attacker, basically sacrificing staying power(normally gets 1 kill every time it can get in anyways)for obscene power. while i do agree that fire blast is overall more consistent, the power to just fucking incinerate stuff that doesnt resist it is tempting.

now for tailwind. i mentioned that zard y was often forced out after a kill. with tailwind, it can perform a good late game cleaner role. it has obscene power, and with tailwind, it becomes really fast. a fast zard y is a deadly zard y. with tailwind, would be checks are now useless against it. examples include thundurus(paras it tho, but can open the way for something else) mega pinsir(QA doesnt kill) scarf exca(not common but did check) terrakion, scarf mag, raikou, mega manectric, and a few others. just be sure to get powerful priority out of the way(it only dies to cb talon brave bird) and SR off the field and you have a p good late game sweeper. its also p unexpected. and it changes zard y to a sweeper as opposed to a wall breaker, and a powerful sweeper at that. sometimes no roost sucks tho.
Flame Charge is also an option, I've used it to good effect on a sweeper Zard-Y. Tailwind only lasts so long and can possibly be outstalled by smart switches. At +1 Speed you outspeed like everything relevant anyways besides ScarfChomp who you can't KO back regardless. Although a sacrificial Tailwind opens up possibilities for slow, powerful mons to come in and do damage so it's up to preference.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Smack Down

I think smack down support landdorus therian is a unique thing to run. It's pretty weak compared to rock slide or stone edge, but stonedge or rock slide are used mostly to deal with the quad weak birds which smack down hits pretty hard as well. Smack Down can be used to pressure or get rid of landorus's usual switch in the form of rotom was and skarmory and to a lesser extent gengar by threatening the earthquake after smack down. The 16 speed is there to out speed defensive rotom was as an earthquake will kill after prior damage if defensive and should kill if specially defensive. You can also invest in more speed if rotom tends to speed creep. You can also invest in more attack to OHKO the birds but I don't find it necessary because as said before smack down nearly kills them if they are at full HP.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Smack Down
I have a couple of problems with this set, but they're problems that I think you've already noticed: Smack Down just isn't as strong vs. birdspam, even though it can hit Rotom-Wash, Gengar, and Skarm better than it could normally. I'd stick with Stone Edge as it still does decent damage to Rotom-Wash switching in, after which you can u-turn or switch out to a proper counter. It might have a niche for teams that need a lure to get rid of Skarm but I don't think it will help much vs Gengar (esp SubWisp).

I have a couple of problems with this set, but they're problems that I think you've already noticed: Smack Down just isn't as strong vs. birdspam, even though it can hit Rotom-Wash, Gengar, and Skarm better than it could normally. I'd stick with Stone Edge as it still does decent damage to Rotom-Wash switching in, after which you can u-turn or switch out to a proper counter. It might have a niche for teams that need a lure to get rid of Skarm but I don't think it will help much vs Gengar (esp SubWisp).
You can always put more attack investment to get rid of the birds if it's that much of a problem.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
-Focus Blast/Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball/Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Trick/Fire Blast

This set aims to lure in common Mew switchins and destroy them with your coverage and speed. Simple EV spread obviously max speed max SpA 0 Atk to reduce foul play, and then max speed nature to speed tie any other scarf 100 or etc. Focus Blast nukes Bisharp and Tyranitar who think they can Pursuit trap you, also you outspeed ScarfTar. Aura Sphere is if you are scared of missing. Psychic is STAB, but maybe Mew doesn't really need it that much, Shadow Ball also offers Mew perfect neutral coverage. Ice Beam hits Gliscor and Co, while also nailing +1 Dnite etc. The last slot kind of depends on your team, Fire Blast is for Scizor, Thunderbolt wrecks Slowbro, Skarm, Azu, Keldeo(if no Psychic)Pinsir, and Zard Y. Trick trolls Chansey I guess and a lot of other defensive pokemon that hate getting tricked scarfs. Obviously the main problem is that although you may get like one surprise kill sometimes you need good prediction and plus there are lots of other good pokemon that can run decent sets like this.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock

You would be surprised how reliable the old DPP lead Infernape still is. Specifically, it fills a niche being able to KO common Custap Berry leads like Skarmory before they can do anything at all with Fake Out and Fire Blast. It can then proceed to use Stealth Rock for free. It has a 50% chance of getting past lead Terrakion without it doing anything at all (speed tie) and can simply set up against anything that isn't packing a faster Taunt after Fake Out. I hope people are intelligent enough to know not to use Fake Out against Garchomp. Obviously, Defog is very annoying for this set as it will remove Stealth Rock that Infernape gives its life to set up, Bisharp and other anti-Defog measures like fast Taunt users are appreciated. Even with Defog, if Infernape gets a KO it will be worth it. Thoughts?

Well, given how Custap Berry isn't obtainable in XY...you kinda don't need to worry about it, so that "niche" isn't really a niche that exists.

This thread has been too long for me to follow so I'm not sure if anybody mentioned Whimsicott the annoyer yet. Whimsicott can be a very annoying pokemon, only checked by few other pokemons.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVS: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast

In this set, Whimsicott aims to catch any pokemon that uses a boosting move or a move resisted by it by using Encore. And then, Whimsicott can simply tank hits with its bulky substitute and leech off the opponent's health with Leech Seed. With the combination of Leech Seed and Leftovers, Whimsicott only loses 6% HP every turn if it decides to stall out the opponent. Max speed is mandatory on this set because it needs to outspeed max speed thundurus, the second fastest Prankster user in the game, behind Whimsicott. Unfortunately, Whimsicott cannot outspeed max speed Talonflame, and any Talonflame that is faster than Whimsicott will be able to OHKO it. Moonblast is there in case it gets taunted, plus it gets some decent damage off dragon types (0 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 152-182 (50.3 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). The purpose of this pokemon on the team is mainly to stop set-up sweepers by using Encore and completely destroy anything slower or anything that isn't immune to Leech Seed. The main checks and counters to Whimsicott are Max Speed Talonflame, Venusaur, and other grass types. In conclusion, this might be a cheap strategy since it utilizes Whimsicott's priority to abuse its Leech Seed+Substitute, but its effective at stopping sweepers and slowly stalling out slower pokemons

Last edited:

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

So with a bit of theorymonning and testing I found out Toxic Medicham is pretty legit. Just think about the few Pokemon that wall Mega Medicham for a second. Slowbro, Sableye, Mew, Cresselia and Doublade. What do they all have in common, all of them bar Doublade hate getting poisoned. So this set aims to take advantage of that by luring in Medicham's counters and poisoning them effectively putting a timer on them. This Medicham set does struggle against offense a lot but that is a problem Mega Medicham has in general. All in all a good lure for Mega Medicham's counters and puts in work against every Doublade less stall team.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
-Focus Blast/Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball/Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Trick/Fire Blast

This set aims to lure in common Mew switchins and destroy them with your coverage and speed. Simple EV spread obviously max speed max SpA 0 Atk to reduce foul play, and then max speed nature to speed tie any other scarf 100 or etc. Focus Blast nukes Bisharp and Tyranitar who think they can Pursuit trap you, also you outspeed ScarfTar. Aura Sphere is if you are scared of missing. Psychic is STAB, but maybe Mew doesn't really need it that much, Shadow Ball also offers Mew perfect neutral coverage. Ice Beam hits Gliscor and Co, while also nailing +1 Dnite etc. The last slot kind of depends on your team, Fire Blast is for Scizor, Thunderbolt wrecks Slowbro, Skarm, Azu, Keldeo(if no Psychic)Pinsir, and Zard Y. Trick trolls Chansey I guess and a lot of other defensive pokemon that hate getting tricked scarfs. Obviously the main problem is that although you may get like one surprise kill sometimes you need good prediction and plus there are lots of other good pokemon that can run decent sets like this.

Outside of ScarfTar, none of these are really counters to the stallbreaker set. Bisharp, Scizor, Azumaril, and regular T-tar get burned, Gliscor, Skarmory, Slowbro, and Chansey get taunted, and to my knowledge Keldeo/Pinsir/Zard Y aren't traditionally considered Mew switch ins. Hitting ScarfTar is neat, but if you're expecting it to switch into you and you're choice locked you need to predict the switch in, at which point you may as well just burn it with the regular set.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Besides, if you're going to try and lure Mew's counters, at least run Stone Edge since that nails both Zards and Talonflame who completely counter the standard set, or even Earthquake to hit Heatran who likes switching into it a lot.

Greninja@Life Orb/Choice Band/Focus Sash (your preference really)
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Adamant/Jolly nature
- Waterfall
- Shadow Sneak/Night Slash
- U-Turn
- Rock Slide

I used to use this set until I got fed-up of those god damn Dragonites. Physical Greninja is pretty rare, yet it's actually pretty good. Nobody expects you to use a physical Greninja, so you could be creative and use this set. Waterfall covers Fire, Ground and Rock types pretty well with a chance to make them flinch. Shadow Sneak has priority and Night Slash has a high critical hit ratio, U-Turn is for emergency or a troll lead and Rock Slide will likely one shot Talonflame and Charizard Y.
The thing is, Physical Greninja IS bad. People think physical is so good and try to surprise you with Rock Slide all the time. But it actually has become normal.

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I don't know if anyone had ever posted this set, but it does a great job at luring the spec or scarf set since the opponent see no leftovers or life orb.
Keldeo has a superb coverage and hit a large portion of the metagame. This set is better against offensive or balanced teams, but it still have effectiveness against stall team.
Icy wind still has enough power to 2kho latios after SR.

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

So with a bit of theorymonning and testing I found out Toxic Medicham is pretty legit. Just think about the few Pokemon that wall Mega Medicham for a second. Slowbro, Sableye, Mew, Cresselia and Doublade. What do they all have in common, all of them bar Doublade hate getting poisoned. So this set aims to take advantage of that by luring in Medicham's counters and poisoning them effectively putting a timer on them. This Medicham set does struggle against offense a lot but that is a problem Mega Medicham has in general. All in all a good lure for Mega Medicham's counters and puts in work against every Doublade less stall team.
Pretty nice idea, the only thing that kinda bothers me is that Mew's Synchronize will poison Medicham as well. This may prevent Medicham from getting burned or paralyzed but can really limit its lifespan, which is already quite short (especially coupled with HJK's chance to miss). So Medicham may help weakening Mew but can find itself too weakened to take advantage of that later on, at least on paper. But if you mention Mew among the targets i guess this has not been an issue so far.

Pretty nice idea, the only thing that kinda bothers me is that Mew's Synchronize will poison Medicham as well. This may prevent Medicham from getting burned or paralyzed but can really limit its lifespan, which is already quite short (especially coupled with HJK's chance to miss). So Medicham may help weakening Mew but can find itself too weakened to take advantage of that later on, at least on paper. But if you mention Mew among the targets i guess this has not been an issue so far.
Yeah I wanted to mention Mew's Synchronize was annoying but forgot to do that. Still though it can kind of be used to your advantage if you use Toxic while Mew tries to burn you because a poisoned Medicham is more useful than a burned one.

Who needs Items?

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Less residual damage is a great asset to this TFlame. Acrobatics is already 110 Base Power, only losing 10 Base power in general and Recoil is obselete. Flare Blitz stays, but now you don't have to worry about this Sweeper losing HP so fast. Roost can be switched out for Tailwind or another move, but if you want to Recovery on Tanks it's good to have. Swords Dance is a must, which gives TFlame some Sweeping power.

Regardless of this already being posted, I decided to plop this on over. Deal with it.

Reactions: zbr

Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Abilit y: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb

Apparently linoone got extremespeed this gen. Combined with belly drum which boosts its pathetic attack to 1048, it can really sweep stuff late game. Only problem is that its really hard to force switches, and it is also very frail which might be a problem when setting up. 4hp evs give it an even hp number for sitrus to activate after belly drum, and quick feet>gluttony cause gluttony doesnt affect the sitrus berry while quick feet could come in handy. Its probably best used to clean up late game when steel types are gone. Might be functional in UU or under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)