ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Mega Sceptile's appearance in anime format. Drooling @_@

Also, now that it has been revealed that Mega Evolution act 2 takes place in Hoenn and features new mega evolutions from Hoenn, I kind of see why they've split it into more than one act and waited such a long time between them. I think we can totally expect an act 3 by the end of 2015/beginning of 2016 showcasing Z/X2/Y2's mega evolutions.

Regarding ORAS, Rayquaza was shown in the ME act 2 poster (you can check it out on Serebii) and Coro Coro mentioned it has something to do with mega evolution... It would be too weird for Rayquaza to get a mega evolution while Groudon and Kyogre got primal devolutions, wouldn't it? Or maybe we're just going to end up learning that primal devolution was a kind of evolution that happened in the past... But that doesn't even make sense! If I got it right, when Groudon and Kyogre devolve, they regain their ancient, more powerful form. It's not the kind of mega evolution performed in the past, it's them "going back in time" to be how they used to be. Mega evolution is a process during which a pokémon reachs its true powers, goes on to the next level, it's directed towards the future, not the past! So I think Rayquaza's link to mega evolution is really weird. As the third member of the Hoenn trio, I'd expect it to devolve.

^The commentary seems to suggest that Mega-Sceptile might get a speed boost. I remember a lot of us were worried that it would get a speed drop with that giant tail when it was first revealed.

^The commentary seems to suggest that Mega-Sceptile might get a speed boost. I remember a lot of us were worried that it would get a speed drop with that giant tail when it was first revealed.
Who needs the commentary, just take a look at the way it moved! Just kidding, I'm glad to hear some confirmation, since even the slightest speed increase (like + 5) will turn it into the fastest dragon in the game, so it's a good thing the tail didn't in the way. Speaking of its tail, did you guys see how Mega Sceptile used it in the trailer? When I saw ORAS' animation, I thought the tail coming off was just a nice touch, but they took full advantage of the freedom they have in the anime and turned it into rocket drill! And the seeds on its back fire off energy missiles! Looks like Mega Gallade just got a rival when it comes to coolness.

I gotta say mega sceptile is my favorite so far, he just looks like a total monster (hey, he's even in that egg group!) but I wouldn't be surprised to see rayquaza take the cake in the awesomeness factor. My only worries for mega sceptile are whether he will be a physical or special attacker. He defs has a much better physical move pool, but his special attack is better as just a normal sceptile which would lead me to believe he will be a special attacker. From the video it looks as though he may be mixed, which would be cool too. I swear he better be able to outspeed greninja though...

I gotta say mega sceptile is my favorite so far, he just looks like a total monster (hey, he's even in that egg group!) but I wouldn't be surprised to see rayquaza take the cake in the awesomeness factor. My only worries for mega sceptile are whether he will be a physical or special attacker. He defs has a much better physical move pool, but his special attack is better as just a normal sceptile which would lead me to believe he will be a special attacker. From the video it looks as though he may be mixed, which would be cool too. I swear he better be able to outspeed greninja though...
Considering that Mega Sceptile gets Lightning Rod, I think it will be more specially-orientated, although a mixed set could be just as viable. Also, he only needs a base speed increase of 3 to outspeed Greninja, so, unless his speed is reducted (which, judging from the video it won't be), it will be a safe bet to assume that Mega Sceptile will be faster.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Considering that Mega Sceptile gets Lightning Rod, I think it will be more specially-orientated, although a mixed set could be just as viable. Also, he only needs a base speed increase of 3 to outspeed Greninja, so, unless his speed is reducted (which, judging from the video it won't be), it will be a safe bet to assume that Mega Sceptile will be faster.
I can still see M-Sceptile being a mixed attacker. I get the impression that Lightning Rod's primary reason for being M-Scep's ability is to block Thunder Wave, thus protecting its speed

Wow he looks fast.....

I'm still wondering if it will be as much as an increase as Mega Ala to where it can go Modest or + attack nature. I mean, if he gets a lightning boost it may not matter but I'd still like it as a possibility.

Also with the Rayquaza bit, hopefully it will fully clarify the distinction between primal de-evolution and regular Mega evolution since it says Ray has the secretary to it all.

Wow he looks fast.....

I'm still wondering if it will be as much as an increase as Mega Ala to where it can go Modest or + attack nature. I mean, if he gets a lightning boost it may not matter but I'd still like it as a possibility.

Also with the Rayquaza bit, hopefully it will fully clarify the distinction between primal de-evolution and regular Mega evolution since it says Ray has the secretary to it all.
Could this possibly mean he will get two forms, a Mega Evolution and a Primal Devolution? Very interesting what they're doing with Rayquaza, everybody knows he's getting something but what exactly remains a mystery.

Could this possibly mean he will get two forms, a Mega Evolution and a Primal Devolution? Very interesting what they're doing with Rayquaza, everybody knows he's getting something but what exactly remains a mystery.
I like the idea of having a mega and a primal form for rayquaza, but I just don't see how it would happen. I mean he's almost forsure gonna get a boost in both attacks and also speed,and I think it's safe to say they aren't making a defensive rayquaza, so I don't see how they could make two rayquaza forms because they would have stats that are too similar. They could go like mewtwo and make a sp.atk and atk form, but which one would be mega and which one would be primal? It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm not saying I don't want two rayquaza, but I think there will only be a primal form.

I like the idea of having a mega and a primal form for rayquaza, but I just don't see how it would happen. I mean he's almost forsure gonna get a boost in both attacks and also speed,and I think it's safe to say they aren't making a defensive rayquaza, so I don't see how they could make two rayquaza forms because they would have stats that are too similar. They could go like mewtwo and make a sp.atk and atk form, but which one would be mega and which one would be primal? It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm not saying I don't want two rayquaza, but I think there will only be a primal form.
The only reason I said what I did was because Rayquaza has been linked to Mega Evolution in the scans but Primal Devolution through speculation, you figure it would be fun to say why not do both. Wouldn't be out of the ordinary in terms of Game Freak, lol.

I mean if their was a candidate for two it may best be him but its hard to see how you could make two for him unless you don't want him to be the mixed monster he's always been. I mean its not that long of a wait for it but still its gonna be like us suddenly seeing char x in the origins thing if he suddenly gets two (or that's how it would feel to me).

And your post made me see my phones spell check make secrecy into secretary....that's just silly.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wow he looks fast.....

Rayquaza confirmed to have a desk job.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
First Mega Sceptile's appearance in anime format. Drooling @_@

Also, now that it has been revealed that Mega Evolution act 2 takes place in Hoenn and features new mega evolutions from Hoenn, I kind of see why they've split it into more than one act and waited such a long time between them. I think we can totally expect an act 3 by the end of 2015/beginning of 2016 showcasing Z/X2/Y2's mega evolutions.

Regarding ORAS, Rayquaza was shown in the ME act 2 poster (you can check it out on Serebii) and Coro Coro mentioned it has something to do with mega evolution... It would be too weird for Rayquaza to get a mega evolution while Groudon and Kyogre got primal devolutions, wouldn't it? Or maybe we're just going to end up learning that primal devolution was a kind of evolution that happened in the past... But that doesn't even make sense! If I got it right, when Groudon and Kyogre devolve, they regain their ancient, more powerful form. It's not the kind of mega evolution performed in the past, it's them "going back in time" to be how they used to be. Mega evolution is a process during which a pokémon reachs its true powers, goes on to the next level, it's directed towards the future, not the past! So I think Rayquaza's link to mega evolution is really weird. As the third member of the Hoenn trio, I'd expect it to devolve.
Ooh, video review time!

0:04: GAH! Chibi Mairin, KILL IT WITH FIRE! Actually does anyone think that Mairin is related to the Steel family in the 17th movie? She dresses similar to them (and true, that's because she was designed after her Chespin, but that was also the gimmick of the characters in the 17th movie).
0:17: Mega Sceptile doesn't look too bad from the front, it kind of looks like it has chest hair now. Very manly.
0:34: How come that attack didn't hit M-Sceptile but got pierced though/absorbed? Also that was a yellow energy beam instead of blue flame. M-Sceptile has Lightning Rod as its Ability so it could have been an Electric-type attack, but Bulbapedia says Alain's Charizard doesn't know any Electric-type moves (nor can Charizard learn any normally). So I wonder what that was?
0:38: I think I heard "speed" there. I'm guessing that might be confirmation of increased Speed? It's ORAS website says it was quick legs but that's not really a confirmation of increased speed.
0:43: MY TAIL IS THE TAIL THAT'LL PIECE THE HEAVENS!
0:44: Okay, who drew that? Was it one of the artists kids?
0:47: Aww, Chibi Alain. AND OMG CHIBI MEGA CHARIZARD X! I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!

Unless they want to do anything special with it, I'll say that it'll remain mostly a Special Attacker. I'm sure its Attack stat will go up, but considering that Lightning Rod ups Special Attack they may want to focus on that a bit more. Maybe they could raise Attack a bit more up, but it'll probably not be as much as Special Attack, if anything it'll at least equal Special Attack, however as I said Lightning Rod would push it most not to being a Special Attacker. Something like 70/85/65/105/85/120/530 to 70/105/75/125/95/160/630 (special oriented) or 70/115/75/115/95/160/630 (equal oriented)

And if it gets a Speed increase I think it'll be able to outspeed Greninja, considering that Sceptile already has 120 and Greninja has 122... (I think we can maybe expect at least over 150. Of course if Mega Greninja ever comes out...)

Note this reply is to the whole "Mega/Primal Rayquaza" in general. Personally I don't really care what they're calling it, Primal Deevolution is still Mega Evolution by another name. If Rayquaza gets a Mega Evolution it'll be called a Primal Deevolution since it's the trio master and it probably too had greater power then it does now in order to bring balance to the world and stop P-Groudon and P-Kyogre from fighting.

As for why would Groudon's and Kyogre's Primal Deevolution be considered Mega Evolutions even though they're recalling ancient power they have? I imagine MEga Evolution is just an umbrellea term to cover all these temporary evolutions that gives a Pokemon a major stat boost. Normal Mega Evolution comes from the Pokemon calling forth power within them using the strong bond it as with its trainer. But who's to say that's how all Mega Evolutions need to work, especially for Legendary Pokemon? Primal Deevolution seems to be a form of Mega Evolution where that power within already exists, whether inside the Pokemon or maybe the environment around it, and it's calling it back to gain tremendous power. OR maybe they do form a bond with someone and Mega Evolve, maybe the Blue and Red Orb are going to be their "Primal Stones" and they'll use the bond power from Archie/Maxie to Primal Deevolve before the two realize what's going on and can stop them. That explanation would explain why we can then Mega Evolve them normally if they still need the bond to Primal Deevolve and the first time they do it they do so by taking it from Archie and Maxie.

And for their being two Rayquaza forms, as I said they'd only really do that if they want to make a Rayquaza that can specifically counter Groudon and Kyogre individually. Like G-Rayquaza will have high Special Attack and high Defense (105/100/150/190/100/115//760) while K-Rayquaza will have high Attack and Special Defense (105/190/100/100/150/115//760) and maybe change to a Dragon/Electric-type, if anything to get rid of its quad weakness to Ice-type attacks and a STAB for its Electric-type moves. And maybe like P-Groundon and P-Kyogre it could get a move that'll be Super Effective against their main types (like G-Rayquaza could get a Special Flying-type move that does super effective damage against Ground-types (Erosion Storm) and K-Rayquaza could get a physcial Dragon-type move BUT make it a dual-type Dragon/Electric move so that its super effective on Kyogre (Ethereal Charge)). HOWEVER I think they'll probably make only one Primal Rayquaza and it'll be a mixed attacker with maybe more Speed (maybe a bit added to its defenses to get it to 100. Something like 105/150/90/150/90/95//680 to 105/180/100/180/100/115//780. Or 105/175/100/175/100/125/780 if you think they'll give it a bit more speed, but personally I think they would focus more on power).

As for Rayquaza being the secret to Mega Evolution. Well it was sorta hinted that Mega Evolution in Kalos is connected to the sundial in Anistar City which looks to be something that Diancie made (thus connecting Mega Evolution to Diancie). So maybe to explain why Mega Evolution exists in Hoenn they're going to use Rayquaza. How? I don't know, obviously it's something shoehorned in to explain why Mega Evolutions are in Hoenn when they're suppose to be a Kalos thing. If I was forced to come up with a reason, hmm, maybe in order to stop P-Groudon and P-Kyogre in ancient times it needed to take their (and maybe it's own) primal energy and spread it throughout the region where they were fighting which would later become Hoenn. Being Steven is a geologist, he went over to Kalos to study up a bit on the Mega and Key Stone and when he came back he unknowingly tapped into the primal energy within the land that has enabled Pokemon there to Mega Evolve. I think that we'd buy that.

Last edited:
Mega Sceptile will be almost completely immune to paralysis since neither electric type attacks nor the grass powder moves can hit it. I think they'll definitely be highlighting its speed. I would'nt be surprised if the boost is on par with Aerodactyl.

It's hard to predict how the offensive stats will be boosted. It's not unprecedented for the weaker offensive stat of the normal form to become the stronger stat after ME. Lucario is one but Luke's stats were already within 5 base points of each other. Charizard and Mewtwo are a couple others but GF gave those two formes to compensate. For Mega Sceptile to have higher Atk than SpA it would need to gain 20 more points in Atk.

tl;dr: I if were to guess I'd guess that MegaSceptile's SpA will be higher than it's Atk.

The hypothesis of Rayquaza having a Mega AND a Primal is not a bad idea. I can imagine it having a more offensively-orientated Mega while having a tankish Primal (Remember, lore-wise, Rayquaza is supposed to put a stop on both Kyogre and Groudon, when in actual gameplay Kyogre OHKOes with Ice Beam while Groudon can comfortably use Stone Edge with its enormous physical defenses)

The hypothesis of Rayquaza having a Mega AND a Primal is not a bad idea. I can imagine it having a more offensively-orientated Mega while having a tankish Primal (Remember, lore-wise, Rayquaza is supposed to put a stop on both Kyogre and Groudon, when in actual gameplay Kyogre OHKOes with Ice Beam while Groudon can comfortably use Stone Edge with its enormous physical defenses)
Ya but when one thinks of it, Ray can call them both to a halt cause of mix attacking sets as he can pick and choose how to strike em (IE, Outrage for Kyogre, Draco Meteor for Groudon). In the end really its just more who knows what they are gonna do with em.

I could see having a Primal Rayquaza in Alpha Sapphire and a Mega Rayquaza in Omega Ruby. One could simply be more physical-oriented and the other one special-oriented (baseless speculation tho).

Ooh, video review time!

0:04: GAH! Chibi Mairin, KILL IT WITH FIRE! Actually does anyone think that Mairin is related to the Steel family in the 17th movie? She dresses similar to them (and true, that's because she was designed after her Chespin, but that was also the gimmick of the characters in the 17th movie).
0:17: Mega Sceptile doesn't look too bad from the front, it kind of looks like it has chest hair now. Very manly.

0:34: How come that attack didn't hit M-Sceptile but got pierced though/absorbed? Also that was a yellow energy beam instead of blue flame. M-Sceptile has Lightning Rod as its Ability so it could have been an Electric-type attack, but Bulbapedia says Alain's Charizard doesn't know any Electric-type moves (nor can Charizard learn any normally). So I wonder what that was?
0:38: I think I heard "speed" there. I'm guessing that might be confirmation of increased Speed? It's ORAS website says it was quick legs but that's not really a confirmation of increased speed.
0:43: MY TAIL IS THE TAIL THAT'LL PIECE THE HEAVENS!
0:44: Okay, who drew that? Was it one of the artists kids?
0:47: Aww, Chibi Alain. AND OMG CHIBI MEGA CHARIZARD X! I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!

Unless they want to do anything special with it, I'll say that it'll remain mostly a Special Attacker. I'm sure its Attack stat will go up, but considering that Lightning Rod ups Special Attack they may want to focus on that a bit more. Maybe they could raise Attack a bit more up, but it'll probably not be as much as Special Attack, if anything it'll at least equal Special Attack, however as I said Lightning Rod would push it most not to being a Special Attacker. Something like 70/85/65/105/85/120/530 to 70/105/75/125/95/160/630 (special oriented) or 70/115/75/115/95/160/630 (equal oriented)

And if it gets a Speed increase I think it'll be able to outspeed Greninja, considering that Sceptile already has 120 and Greninja has 122... (I think we can maybe expect at least over 150. Of course if Mega Greninja ever comes out...)

Note this reply is to the whole "Mega/Primal Rayquaza" in general. Personally I don't really care what they're calling it, Primal Deevolution is still Mega Evolution by another name. If Rayquaza gets a Mega Evolution it'll be called a Primal Deevolution since it's the trio master and it probably too had greater power then it does now in order to bring balance to the world and stop P-Groudon and P-Kyogre from fighting.

As for why would Groudon's and Kyogre's Primal Deevolution be considered Mega Evolutions even though they're recalling ancient power they have? I imagine MEga Evolution is just an umbrellea term to cover all these temporary evolutions that gives a Pokemon a major stat boost. Normal Mega Evolution comes from the Pokemon calling forth power within them using the strong bond it as with its trainer. But who's to say that's how all Mega Evolutions need to work, especially for Legendary Pokemon? Primal Deevolution seems to be a form of Mega Evolution where that power within already exists, whether inside the Pokemon or maybe the environment around it, and it's calling it back to gain tremendous power. OR maybe they do form a bond with someone and Mega Evolve, maybe the Blue and Red Orb are going to be their "Primal Stones" and they'll use the bond power from Archie/Maxie to Primal Deevolve before the two realize what's going on and can stop them. That explanation would explain why we can then Mega Evolve them normally if they still need the bond to Primal Deevolve and the first time they do it they do so by taking it from Archie and Maxie.

And for their being two Rayquaza forms, as I said they'd only really do that if they want to make a Rayquaza that can specifically counter Groudon and Kyogre individually. Like G-Rayquaza will have high Special Attack and high Defense (105/100/150/190/100/115//760) while K-Rayquaza will have high Attack and Special Defense (105/190/100/100/150/115//760) and maybe change to a Dragon/Electric-type, if anything to get rid of its quad weakness to Ice-type attacks and a STAB for its Electric-type moves. And maybe like P-Groundon and P-Kyogre it could get a move that'll be Super Effective against their main types (like G-Rayquaza could get a Special Flying-type move that does super effective damage against Ground-types (Erosion Storm) and K-Rayquaza could get a physcial Dragon-type move BUT make it a dual-type Dragon/Electric move so that its super effective on Kyogre (Ethereal Charge)). HOWEVER I think they'll probably make only one Primal Rayquaza and it'll be a mixed attacker with maybe more Speed (maybe a bit added to its defenses to get it to 100. Something like 105/150/90/150/90/95//680 to 105/180/100/180/100/115//780. Or 105/175/100/175/100/125/780 if you think they'll give it a bit more speed, but personally I think they would focus more on power).

As for Rayquaza being the secret to Mega Evolution. Well it was sorta hinted that Mega Evolution in Kalos is connected to the sundial in Anistar City which looks to be something that Diancie made (thus connecting Mega Evolution to Diancie). So maybe to explain why Mega Evolution exists in Hoenn they're going to use Rayquaza. How? I don't know, obviously it's something shoehorned in to explain why Mega Evolutions are in Hoenn when they're suppose to be a Kalos thing. If I was forced to come up with a reason, hmm, maybe in order to stop P-Groudon and P-Kyogre in ancient times it needed to take their (and maybe it's own) primal energy and spread it throughout the region where they were fighting which would later become Hoenn. Being Steven is a geologist, he went over to Kalos to study up a bit on the Mega and Key Stone and when he came back he unknowingly tapped into the primal energy within the land that has enabled Pokemon there to Mega Evolve. I think that we'd buy that.
" How come that attack didn't hit M-Sceptile but got pierced though/absorbed? Also that was a yellow energy beam instead of blue flame."
The yellow glowy stuff that wrapped around M-Sceptile was probably him calling forth the energy to use his attacks.

Actually, Mega Sceptile fascinates me. Was that first attack Seed Bomb? What the hell kind of technique causes him to launch his tail? Is that just how he uses Frenzy Plant?
I just wish I knew how they're gonna capitalize on his new access to heavy artillery.

On the topic of two potential Rayquaza forms, I wouldn't be surprised. In the Pokemon lore, Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza weren't purposefully created as a trio. They all just kind of came into being at roughly the same time. Rayquaza's hat as the trio master isn't the most important thing about him, as virtually nobody talks about him besides "I saw a meteor" and "there's a pokemon that rests at Mirage Island". He wasn't created equally with Groudon and Kyogre (his BST is 10 points higher), and he probably only became the mediator for the other two because there wasn't anything else alive or nearby back when the world was new (and Planet Earth was down on its luck) that could contest against the both of them at the same time(He zapped; locked those suckers in a vault; they're trapped, and on his own stopped chaos. in its. TRAAAAAACKS.)
So they could give him whatever they want Rayquaza to have, because he already does whatever he wants.

As for the secrets to Mega Evolution:
Where do the trainer's keystones come from?
How are mega stones created?
Why is there a limited supply of each one?
How come jewelery adorning both stones is almost always a necessity? Do rare metals help amplify the light of evolution?
It's clearly for battle purposes first and foremost, but do Pokemon who change type upon MEvoing do so because it's the purest form of their species' genetic makeup? Do they do it out of recognition for what they need to last through a battle?
How (through lore) can they explain why some Pokemon have two distinct mega evolutions?

Last edited:
You guys really think they're going to make Mega Sceptile physical when Blaziken has already received an attack boost and Swampert is CLEARLY physically inclined?
Im fine with a mixed set. I love how freaking versatile his movepool is. Also swords dance helps. You know having some unpredictability over an specialization is always nice.

Hoping for a physically-based Mega Sceptile is pretty ridiculous tbh; it's way too hopeful. It's very clearly specially based, has been since Gen 3 and that's what it's role has been ever since, that said I'd expect mixed because there's only a 20 difference but come ON guys, Sceptile is very clearly a specially-based speedy attacker.

Hoping for a physically-based Mega Sceptile is pretty ridiculous tbh; it's way too hopeful. It's very clearly specially based, has been since Gen 3 and that's what it's role has been ever since, that said I'd expect mixed because there's only a 20 difference but come ON guys, Sceptile is very clearly a specially-based speedy attacker.
Like i said he will always be a specially oriented mon. But with swords dance and a decent movepool he has a thing going in his physical side as well. Ill personally run a Swords dance set for the pkeassure of laughing at heatran and chansey.
H
Just saying, unless they somehow neglect or decrease his physical atack it is still a viable choice.

You guys really think they're going to make Mega Sceptile physical when Blaziken has already received an attack boost and Swampert is CLEARLY physically inclined?
Not necessarily pure physical, but Sceptile has an amazing physical movepool and an already decent Attack to use it. I'll be fine with however the boosts go, but it'd still be nice to make use of that physical movepool when marching through the gyms and maybe the Battle Tower/Frontier.

I'd rather see those stats go to defenses, as even 10 pts would help. Sceptile's only relevant physical coverage is Earthquake, and Focus Blast hits the things he needs to hit just fine. Accuracy is a letdown though.

I think HP / 105 / 65 / 145 / 95 / 150 is a decent mixed attacker but I'd rather see the +20 in defense.

I'd rather see those stats go to defenses, as even 10 pts would help. Sceptile's only relevant physical coverage is Earthquake, and Focus Blast hits the things he needs to hit just fine. Accuracy is a letdown though.

I think HP / 105 / 65 / 145 / 95 / 150 is a decent mixed attacker but I'd rather see the +20 in defense.
Based on previous trends I'd say it's inevitable the remaining stat boosts would go to the "useless" attacking stat, rather than being something absolutely ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)