An Ode to UU open [Team Archive]

~ Introduction ~
What's Chimpin guys? My Name is Callofluckynbad and I am back again, once again to basically show off the teams that New Breed and a few others used in order to do extremely well in UU open. These teams basically encapsulate what UU was throughout the Open and also the type of thought and strategy required in order to perform at such a high competitive level like New Breed was able too :]

~Round 1-3~

Choice Band Krook Team

This was probably my most successful team used in UU Open. The only loss it notched up was vs New Breed in Round 3 (I'm garbage) and after then I think it went something like 6 or 7-0, which is a fair testament to how solid the team was. Basically, the team is centered around a Bulky Offensive core with a few hard hitters and an Alakazam chillin' in the back. The team essentially wears down the opponent's team, forcing plenty of switches with all the powerful hitters and good type synergy, hoping for Alakazam to be able to clean up late game. The team was fairly weak to Dugtrio, but I was the only one really using it so it wasn't too big of a deal.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn
- Trick

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Roost

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Duggy Trap + Slurpuff

This team was used around the time that Scarf Hydreigon was extremely popular and could basically punish a lot of the Bulky Offensive teams that were running around. I didn't end up using it but I think a couple of my frens gave it a go and I also managed to sweep Chimpact twice with a variation of this team using Slurpuff so basically it is a fucking lord.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Aromatherapy

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin

Choice Band Heracross Balance

I made this team to basically try and check the majority of the metagame in one team. A lot of bulk but a Volturn Core + a solid win condition in Suicune aided by Heracross' wallbreaking potential made this team pretty solid against a lot of archetypes that were being run. Unfortunately, the lack of Dragon resist really hurt me vs New Breed but I spose it's hard to build a perfect team, especially in XY.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-uu-863015 - Me vs McMeghan
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-18745 - Me vs Kevin
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-155627904 - Koko vs Tricking (Koko got really unlucky and the team still nearly won)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-152847442 - Koko vs U-turn out using the variation of the team with Sableye over Suicune
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-17827 - Wasn't open but another replay of Koko using the team

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 212 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head

Crobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 128 HP / 204 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Trick Room

My buddy TGMD used this team in first round and Chimpact used it in one of his uploads :] Honestly, I don't think the team is that good, it's just a fun team to mess around with and generally does pretty well against more Offensive teams due to the nature of TR vs HO. Lucario and Hydra were just there cause I didn't wanna bring Full TR cause I don't like the idea of solely relying on Trick Room to try and win games.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Atk / 116 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 SpA
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Tri Attack
- Trick Room
- Recover

Victini @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- Grass Knot

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch
- Close Combat

Tailwind Tornadus

The team that if I had brought it to Game 3 vs New Breed, I probably would have won. Honestly, a really solid team, I think Joey might have used it in a later round where it managed to beat Stall which showed that it was decently matched up vs a lot of different archetypes. Brought Slurpuff back cause it was a threat and a pretty fun offensive answer to Hydreigon. Mixed Tornadus is a threat, Ampharos was still extremely solid and Scarf Rachi in case I was feeling luckynbad.

Couldn't find the replay of Joey winning with it :[

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 228 Def / 16 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Aromatherapy

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Trick

I got destroyed by New Breed

At this point, I was eliminated and my buddy New Breed came to me looking for some squads, which I was happy to help him out with. He also asked if I wanted to build with him, I thought it would be pretty fun and now yeah, Kevin is my favourite Virgin Queensland (BAN ME PLEASE) :]]]]]]

These teams were basically ones I built after my elimination to help Pokeaim and Kevin, and more reflects the tour style of building, where counterstyling is such an important aspect of winning in XY.

~Round 4 - Finals~

Whimsicott Bait + Offensive Cune

Appropriately titled 'Afro Smash Counterstylin' in my teambuilder, this was the team me and Joey came up with for his Round 5? or maybe 6, clash with Alan. The idea of the team was to basically trap a lot of the Pokemon that Alan loved using (Raikou, Empoleon & Magneton) in order to allow for CM cune to have a field day. U-turn Whimsicott was there to bait in Empoleon, U-turn Rachi for Raikou/Magneton and basically just a strong Offensive Dual Dragon core backed up with Tailwind from Whimsicott to bring it home. This team also packed Offensive CM HP Fire Suicune in case he brought Abomasnow which was normally his answer to Suicune.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-20352 - The replay of Joey vs Afro
- Joey's narration :]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Memento

Suicune @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 248 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Memento
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Toxic Spikes + Calm Mind Chandelure

Having played Bad Ass a few times and looking over his replays, a lot of his teams had a distinct weakness to the combination of T spikes + Chandelure so we decided to build around that. The team did get a bit unlucky but it honestly didn't get the favourable match up that was really needed for it to work but still a pretty solid team nonetheless.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Mixed Victini + Swords Dance Absol

Probably one of the most fun teams we built (and honestly, one of the most solid too). Mixed Victini has basically 0 switch ins at the moment and when you combine the raw breaking power it has with such a fast, strong set up sweeper like Mega Absol, it can usually snackwrap a game pretty quickly. Thunder Victini was the real selling point, basically ensuring a win vs Bad Ass when he brought Alomomola who had no idea what was about to hit it. Paired these two with Dugtrio + Suicune who in itself is a pretty decent core for eliminating Roserade and Mega Ampharos in order to allow for Suicune to CM to it's hearts extent. Thunder Wave Plot Togekiss was also there in case he wanted to bring Mega Aerodactyl, who after being Thunder Waved only has like a 15% chance to break out of Para, Flinch and hit Stone Edge so although a Mexican as shit strategy, an effective one nonetheless. I almost forgot, this team also contains SD Iron Tail Absol, which is basically my favourite Absol to run in this metagame as it OHKOes every relevant fairy in the tier and provides neutral coverage vs stuff like Toxicroak (which it can OHKO at +2).

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail
- Sucker Punch

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Defog
- Roar

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Specs Yanmega

This was one of the two teams that was used during New Breed's finals wins and was basically just trying to take advantage of Lowgock's overuse of Balance, which basically has 0 answers for Yanmega. Togekiss + Scarf Shao pair really nicely together in terms of what they can wear down for each other and Sub Toxic Jirachi is just a complete cunt so I didn't see a reason not to bring it. The team was honestly meant to have Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega but actually was blessed with Speed Boost, which basically won Kevin the game. So i'm gonna call it my innovation hehe bwoi,,,,,

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 228 SpD / 16 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Punch
- Toxic
- Iron Head

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Semi Stall + Volturn + Hazards

This was the second team that Kevin used vs Lowgock and honestly, it exceeded my expectations. The idea to use Doom Desire in conjunction with Togekiss + Spikes was amazing and due to Lowgock's reliance on Mega Aero to check Togekiss, it basically made it impossible for him to stop defogging. Curselax was also a Pokemon I saw Lowgock had a problem against so I didn't see any problem with adding him to the squad :] Mola was basically there to provide some Wish support to Chester and force CB tini to lock itself into Bolt Strike all the time, which took a lot of pressure of the rest of the team.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Doom Desire

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Hammer Arm
- Leech Seed

~Shoutouts~

New Breed - Probably the biggest legend I met in this tour, you're a funny ass nigga, great player and yeah I spose i'll be seeing you in the finals :]

My skype boys - Omfuga , blunder , Afro Smash , aim , chimpact , gr8astard , Sinclair , Soulgazer , Artemisa , Edgar , John, Shox, Key , just a bunch of fuckin' frens, honestly funniest niggas, so glad you let me into that skype group cause it's been a BLAST. Also Wepwn is a (BAN ME PLEASE).

Bouffalant - My little indian fren :]

My co-leaders - Ernesto and kokoloko , thanks for everything you have done for me this generation, i've really grown as a person and a player, ur still a (BAN ME PLEASE) tho koko :]]]

To everyone else, thanks for being a fren :] Sorry if i've forgotten anyone but I love you all :toast:

~ Conclusion ~

This tournament has really helped me grow as a player and honestly, being knocked out round 3 by Kevin was probably one of the best things that has happened to me on this site (as weird as that sounds). I learnt a lot about what is required to be a really good tour player and met a whole bunch of awesome niggas and one (BAN ME PLEASE) (pwn). But yeah, hope you enjoyed and yeah, until next time.

Later.

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I almost want to try UU out now. I've watched a few of aim's battles in the tier, and it looks hella fun. I'm lousy at team building, so this might really help me.

ey y y y nice teams nigr

I know this is more of a showcase than looking for rates, but how does the Yanmega team deal with Chandy, particularly Specs? I know it's not as common as SubCM (although that's kind of a problem for your team as well), but you essentially have no switch-ins for it. Although, you stated that it was meant for balance teams so w/e. I really don't think there's anything that needs fixing to be honest, but I would run Shadow Ball over Sleep Talk on Yanmega, because OHKOing Chandys not invested in bulk (who die if rocks are up) is pretty cool, as well as killing Tini and Offensive Rachi after rocks. It's mainly to hit them on the switch, however, as in most cases they'll just outspeed and kill you, so I think using Giga Drain is a good idea as well, as you get to smack Swampert, Rhyperior, etc, which is really nice considering you'll be getting rid of their Electric immunity, letting Amph Volt Switch easier.

thats all i really have, lol. again, nice teams :^)

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Sorry if i've forgotten anyone but I love you all :toast:
no you haven't forgotten anyone

fucker

,,l,,

real talk this took a lot of effort and is really well done, congrats lochie bruv n_n this is probably a better resource than your teambuilding thread HA

Just an archive of average teams :]. There are a few teams that stand out to me as being the ones that really pulled through in important matches and that would be the CB Krook team, Mixtini and VoltTurn Stall. I think I ended up going like 5-0 with the CB Krook team pre Togekiss meta and it was just really solid and also had a great matchup against the most common team archetypes at the time.

The Mixed Victini I love just because the team just works so well together. Victini + Absol is insane and pretty much ensures no playstyle has a good matchup against it. Add in the fact that you also have dual Bulky Waters + Dugtrio and it actually becomes incredibly hard to stop Suicune and your basically forced to make a play every time to avoid losing your check.

The Spikes Stall was probably the best just in terms of idea wise, Mew leaving and the lack of people running Defog in tour matches and Doom Desire + Spikes puts insane pressure on Defog users and limits switches greatly. Curselax is also a savage with hazards up as with Heracross leaving and Infernape usage dropping it only really left Mienshao as something that could potentially stop it.

Really solid archive, I have probably used all of these teams at least once, was really fun building alot of these with you big dog.

Thanks for putting this together. I was curious on one of the sets you detailed in the Mixed Victini + Swords Dance Absol team.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Could you explain the Timid nature and the 100 Speed investment? What threats were you trying to out speed? Thanks!

Thanks for putting this together. I was curious on one of the sets you detailed in the Mixed Victini + Swords Dance Absol team.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Could you explain the Timid nature and the 100 Speed investment? What threats were you trying to out speed? Thanks!
The EVs are to outspeed defensive Roserade and any walls below that :]

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well done Calloflochie, I always knew you from the beginning as a super good teambuilder. Congrats on this and all your recent successes, maybe I can learn a thing or two from this in itself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)