Poliwrath (QC 0/3)

QC: / /
GP: /

Overview
########

+ Good, balanced stats
+ Decent offensive typing
+ Plays different roles succesfully
+ Deals with threatening Water-types in the tier thanks to its typing and Water Absorb, such as Feraligatr and Carracosta
- Lacks reliable recovery
- Limited movepool with small other options

RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Scald
move 2: Circle Throw
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
ability: Water Absorb
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

• Scald threatens physically offensive Pokemon as it has a good chance to burn.
  • Circle Throw has negative priority, but can easily stop set-up by forcing a switch.
  • Rest is the only way of recovery Poliwrath has access to.
  • Sleep Talk allows Poliwrath to use attacks in its sleep, including a Circle Throw, that doesn't have negative priority when used by Sleep Talk.
  • Protect can be used as a scouting option as an advantage against the opponent.
  • Toxic can also be a decent option in order to wear down bulky Pokemon easier as the damage dealt increases every turn.

Set Details
========

• The EVs invested in HP and Defense max out Poliwrath's base Defense in combination with a Relaxed nature.
  • Water Absorb is simply amazing, it provides a free-switch in for Poliwrath and recovers it.
  • Leftovers heal Poliwrath a bit.

Usage Tips
========

• Switch in Pokemon Poliwrath walls, such as Feraligatr and Seismitoad and beat them up with Scald or either phaze them out.
  • When the opponent started to set-up, sent in Poliwrath to force a switch with Circle Throw. (except if the set-up is a ghost type)
  • Use this set when your team is built around stall, as Poliwrath can burn with Scald, force a switch with Circle Throw and recover with Rest and Sleep Talk.

Team Options
========

• Pokemon that set up on Poliwrath's weaknesses are amazing, such as Pawniard; They defeat Poliwrath's weaknesses and allow it to stall out other opponents.
  • Pokemon that set up entry hazards are useful too, as Poliwrath can use Circle Throw and hurt Pokemon when they're switched in.

SubPunch
########
name: SubPunch
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Toxic / Ice Punch
ability: Water Absorb
item: Leftovers
evs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Substitute is a really good option to prevent Poliwrath being statused. Besides, it grants Poliwrath an opportunity to set up or launch a Focus Punch succesfully unless the opponent has Infiltrator or uses a sound move.
  • Focus Punch is the move with the highest Base Power Poliwrath has access to. However, watch out, because Focus Punch fails if it gets hit the same turn.
  • Waterfall a great STAB move, and also has a secondary effect of flinching the opponent.
  • Toxic statuses Pokemon that resist its dual STAB, such as Gourgeist, this way Poliwrath can get rid of it.
  • Ice Punch grants coverage against a lot of types, and hits Vileplume well.
  • Encore is another option that can be used to trap the opponent in a certain move, and might give Poliwrath a free turn to set up a Substitute.

Set Details
========

• Water Absorb offers Poliwrath a great immunity against the Water-type.
  • Leftovers give passive recovery to Poliwrath and the ability to set up more substitutes.
  • 128 EV HP adds up to Poliwrath's good natural bulk.
  • 252 EVs in Attack in combination with the Adamant nature ensures Poliwrath to hit the hardest it is capable of.
  • 128 Speed EVs allow Poliwrath to outspeed Jolly Crustle and beat it with a STAB attack.
Usage Tips
========

• Sent in Poliwrath when predicting a Water-type move when it is at low health. This gives Poliwrath health back, upping its longevity.
  • Set up Substitute when predicting the opponent to switch or to inflict status, as Poliwrath forces quite some switches against Pokemon such as Pawniard and Feraligatr
  • This set on Poliwrath is useful to weaken Pokemon in order to allow partners to clean up.
  • When your team is bulky offensively based, or balanced, use this set on Poliwrath, since it works the best on bulky offensive or balanced teams.

Team Options
========

• Ferroseed is an awesome teammate as it sets up and can switch into Poliwrath's weaknesses without problems and take them out.
  • Pokemon that set up entry hazards are very good too, as they allow Poliwrath to KO more easily.
  • Thunder Wave or Sticky Web support is useful because it allows Poliwrath to outspeed a whole lot more Pokemon in the tier.
  • Pokemon that take advantage of the Pokemon that Poliwrath can weaken, such as U-turn or Volt Switch users, make good partners, too.
Other Options
########

• Choice Specs along with a special moveset.
  • Bulk Up to boost up Poliwrath's physical stats.
  • Earthquake hits Electric-types better than all of its other moves.
  • Belly Drum + Swift Swim can be used on rain teams.
  • Mixed set with moves such as Scald and Brick Break.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fast Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon with an advantage over Poliwrath, such as Mesprit or Unburden Slurpuff, can KO Poliwrath without problems after using a STAB attack.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types, such as Tangela and Gourgeist, completely wall Poliwrath in anything it does and can burn it or KO it with one of their STABs.

**Taunt** Taunt users prevent Poliwrath from setting up a Substitute or recovering from Rest, and makes it very vulnerable for offensive attackers.

**Status**: Poliwrath is severally crippled by burn and paralysis, because they cut its Speed and Attack, allowing it to hit less powerful and slower. Rest doesn't have to fear status since it changes the status to sleep.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rest talk should be the first set IMO, as it has very good physical bulk when fully invested and walls a decent chunk of physical attackers, especially pawniard.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, ice punch should be either the main slash or before bulk up on the sub punch set. Being able to hit grass and flying types is always good, especially vileplume.

You still didn't change it...
My point was to put it in the main set instead of bulk up or slash it before BU. Poli is pretty slow, so it doesn't get many opportunities to set up. It works better as a hard hitter, not a sweeper.
Keep in mind that I'm not qc, but this is what is most logical IMO.
i think BU is a better option and you should jjust witch out of vileplume into fire types or smth.

Also, again, 70 base is not slow. base 55 and under can be considered slow, 70 is average

On the SubPunch set, Substitute and Focus Punch should be listed as the first moves because they're obv most important when the set is named after them, after them Waterfall and the filler move in the last place. (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this).
Bulk Up is not really the best option on the set, I'd say all of Ice Punch, Encore and Toxic are better as they allow Poliwrath to somewhat deal with things that trouble it such as Gourgeist (walls dual stab poli completely), Vileplume, Dragalge, Tangela, Exeggutor, Roselia, Pelipper, Altaria etc. depending on which one it is. I'd probably do Toxic / Ice Punch in the last slot with Encore and Bulk Up mentioned in Moves with Bulk Up maybe only in OO. Cleric support is not needed enough to have a mention in Team Options, you're using Sub to bypass status and Spiritomb is gone now.

There needs to be a bigger mention of Poliwrath being able to beat a lot of dangerous sweepers by virtue of its typing - it's the perfect answer to all of Feraligatr, Carracosta, Barbaracle, Sneasel, Pawniard, Kabutops etc. At least some of them should be mentioned (especially Gatr) as big reasons to run Poliwrath.

In OO, merge Belly Drum and Swift Swim as they are meant to be used together and don't really work without each other.

In Usage Tips, make note of what kind of teams these sets fit on, RestTalk is best on stall while SubPunch works well on balance/bulky offense.

On the SubPunch set, Substitute and Focus Punch should be listed as the first moves because they're obv most important when the set is named after them, after them Waterfall and the filler move in the last place. (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this).
Bulk Up is not really the best option on the set, I'd say all of Ice Punch, Encore and Toxic are better as they allow Poliwrath to somewhat deal with things that trouble it such as Gourgeist (walls dual stab poli completely), Vileplume, Dragalge, Tangela, Exeggutor, Roselia, Pelipper, Altaria etc. depending on which one it is. I'd probably do Toxic / Ice Punch in the last slot with Encore and Bulk Up mentioned in Moves with Bulk Up maybe only in OO. Cleric support is not needed enough to have a mention in Team Options, you're using Sub to bypass status and Spiritomb is gone now.

There needs to be a bigger mention of Poliwrath being able to beat a lot of dangerous sweepers by virtue of its typing - it's the perfect answer to all of Feraligatr, Carracosta, Barbaracle, Sneasel, Pawniard, Kabutops etc. At least some of them should be mentioned (especially Gatr) as big reasons to run Poliwrath.

In OO, merge Belly Drum and Swift Swim as they are meant to be used together and don't really work without each other.

In Usage Tips, make note of what kind of teams these sets fit on, RestTalk is best on stall while SubPunch works well on balance/bulky offense.
I think i've completed this. I mentioned a few threats in overview

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
  • 80 Speed EVs allow Poliwrath to outspeed several other threats, such as Adamant Slurpuff.
Wait, huh? 80 Speed EVs doesn't even really achieve much of anything as far as I can tell, since it hits a very random 196 Speed (which is exactly neutral 0 Spe base 80). You tell me whether SubPunch Poliwrath should run less or more speed, depending on the relevant Pokes sitting in that tier and whether it needs to outspeed them or not.

Wait, huh? 80 Speed EVs doesn't even really achieve much of anything as far as I can tell, since it hits a very random 196 Speed (which is exactly neutral 0 Spe base 80). You tell me whether SubPunch Poliwrath should run less or more speed, depending on the relevant Pokes sitting in that tier and whether it needs to outspeed them or not.
edited it to 252/252/4

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In the Overview, cut the coverage movepool thing idek what that means, and add that Poliwrath is really weak (Focus Punch's high Base Power is the only reason why an offensive set works at all). Cut the part about its weaknesses too. It has five weaknesses, of which only Grass is used as a common coverage move in NU. Instead, just say that Poliwrath has no reliable recovery.

Mention Protect and Toxic in moves as an alternative to RestTalk. It's not very good because Poliwrath switches into Knock Off a ton, but seriously fuck RestTalk.

Under Usage Tips, you don't use Poliwrath as a defensive partner to an offensive Fire-type. You use it on balanced/stall teams as a check to Pawniard, Feraligatr, etc. that can also phaze. In fact, Usage Tips should be really really simple: come in on shit you wall and click moves.

SubPunch should run 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe Adamant to outrun Jolly Crustle and prevent it from getting more than one layer of hazards. You even have a chance to flinch it with Waterfall and prevent any hazards from being set. Slash Toxic before Ice Punch. Toxic lets you beat most defensive stuff, and Ice Punch lets you weaken bulky Grass-types.

Usage Tips should reflect Poliwrath's role on the team more. You use it to check specific stuff (again, primarily Feraligatr and Pawniard) and to weaken things for partners to clean. It can Sub on a shitton of stuff, especially on stall and balanced, and proceed to toss out Toxic and Focus Punch etc.

In Team Options, mention partners that can take advantage of the stuff Poliwrath can weaken.

Add Specs to OO, cut Band because it's shit. Specs is pretty shit too, but it has priority.

Checks and Counters is really bad. Play with Poliwrath some more and see what checks/counters it because right now it looks like PKMN 101.

In the Overview, cut the coverage movepool thing idek what that means, and add that Poliwrath is really weak (Focus Punch's high Base Power is the only reason why an offensive set works at all). Cut the part about its weaknesses too. It has five weaknesses, of which only Grass is used as a common coverage move in NU. Instead, just say that Poliwrath has no reliable recovery.

Mention Protect and Toxic in moves as an alternative to RestTalk. It's not very good because Poliwrath switches into Knock Off a ton, but seriously fuck RestTalk.

Under Usage Tips, you don't use Poliwrath as a defensive partner to an offensive Fire-type. You use it on balanced/stall teams as a check to Pawniard, Feraligatr, etc. that can also phaze. In fact, Usage Tips should be really really simple: come in on shit you wall and click moves.

SubPunch should run 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe Adamant to outrun Jolly Crustle and prevent it from getting more than one layer of hazards. You even have a chance to flinch it with Waterfall and prevent any hazards from being set. Slash Toxic before Ice Punch. Toxic lets you beat most defensive stuff, and Ice Punch lets you weaken bulky Grass-types.

Usage Tips should reflect Poliwrath's role on the team more. You use it to check specific stuff (again, primarily Feraligatr and Pawniard) and to weaken things for partners to clean. It can Sub on a shitton of stuff, especially on stall and balanced, and proceed to toss out Toxic and Focus Punch etc.

In Team Options, mention partners that can take advantage of the stuff Poliwrath can weaken.

Add Specs to OO, cut Band because it's shit. Specs is pretty shit too, but it has priority.

Checks and Counters is really bad. Play with Poliwrath some more and see what checks/counters it because right now it looks like PKMN 101.
edited!

Hollywood

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)