Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
i actually caught the original one in friend Safari. i guess i got 'lucky' to preserve it through all the generations. i guess i will evolve my New One before doing the ev training now. knowing my luck it will prolly Take me a week to finally get a competitive One xD
I would suggest getting an Ability Capsule and using it on the next Ferroseed you get. If it fails, it'll be HA. That's how it works IIRC.
It will fail in both cases; it'll fail on HA Ferroseed because it fail on HAs regardless, and it'll fail on non-HA Ferroseed because it has only one regular ability. Just tested it on Reckless Mienfoo and Torrent Blastoise, failed in both cases :\ Looks like you should stock up on a bunch of Rare Candies and evolve your new starting mother to make sure it's gonna evolve into Iron Barbs Ferrothorn (or just catch a new starting mother in Glittering Cave if that's easier)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would suggest getting an Ability Capsule and using it on the next Ferroseed you get. If it fails, it'll be HA. That's how it works IIRC.
Wouldn't it fail either way? Like I said, Ferroseed only has one ability so an Ability Capsule would fail if used on it regardless. If you had an Anticipation Ferrothorn and used an AC it would fail as well because they do not change HA to non-HA.

edit: ninja'd... sort of. I should have read The Dutch Plumberjack's post first
i actually caught the original one in friend Safari. i guess i got 'lucky' to preserve it through all the generations. i guess i will evolve my New One before doing the ev training now. knowing my luck it will prolly Take me a week to finally get a competitive One xD
I would suggest either just catching a regular Ferroseed from Reflection Cave so you already know it has it's regular ability, or catch a Ferroseed in the Friend Safari and evolve to make sure, but personally I would not be bothered to grind 10 levels just for that lol except rare candies

edit: and of course The Dutch Plumberjack also explained this also...

Not sure if this qualifies as a simple question, but it does deal with in-game mechanics so:

According to this source code (line 58), Pokerus is generated at the end of a (wild?) battle if bits 29-16 of a 32-bit random number are all equal to 0. Isn't this a 2^14 or 4 in 65536 chance? Why does the comment immediately above (as well as numerous other sources) state 3 in 65536?

Is the Shellos' form from hatching dependent on the mother? i.e. if I'm breeding a Ditto and a West Sea Shellos/Gastrodon, will the child definitely be West Sea no matter what or will it have a chance to be either of West Sea or East Sea?

Is the Shellos' form from hatching dependent on the mother? i.e. if I'm breeding a Ditto and a West Sea Shellos/Gastrodon, will the child definitely be West Sea no matter what or will it have a chance to be either of West Sea or East Sea?
I'm pretty sure the form is "locked" in accordance to the mother (or father, if using a Ditto) as of 5th and 6th gen. Additionally, Deerling forms follow suit (in 6th gen).

So, yeah, you will never hatch an East Sea Shellos with that pair.

I'm pretty sure the form is "locked" in accordance to the mother (or father, if using a Ditto) as of 5th and 6th gen. Additionally, Deerling forms follow suit (in 6th gen).

So, yeah, you will never hatch an East Sea Shellos with that pair.
Thank you.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Are the GSC In-Game tiers still being worked on? I'm playing through my old Crystal version and the thread hasn't been updated in over a year.
I believe the thread owner just gave up on it. You can try contacting a mod about running it yourself if you're interested, but I'm not sure how much interest there is in GSC tiering at the moment.

I have been trying to obtain a shiny snubble for my friend and it is nearly impossible to keep a chain going longer than 10 in any location on route 10. Even following the rules of going 3-4 patches of grass away and going to the most violent shaking patch of grass it often gets interrupted by a more common Pokemon like gollet or sigliph. I've tried getting snubble in the friend Safari but the only person who has a snubble has a jigglypuff and a floette and I've gotten three of each shiny except snubble......

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have been trying to obtain a shiny snubble for my friend and it is nearly impossible to keep a chain going longer than 10 in any location on route 10. Even following the rules of going 3-4 patches of grass away and going to the most violent shaking patch of grass it often gets interrupted by a more common Pokemon like gollet or sigliph. I've tried getting snubble in the friend Safari but the only person who has a snubble has a jigglypuff and a floette and I've gotten three of each shiny except snubble......
Yeah chaining isn't as good as it was in DPPt because of the lack of good grass patches. I'm assuming you have the Shiny Charm? You could try using the Masuda Method to breed for one, at least that way you are guaranteed a good nature and IVs (synchronise may fail in the wild). If you don't have a foreign parent you can hit up the Wifi forum SQSA thread and ask for a Ditto, there are a few very friendly users there who may donate one to you!

Or try your hand at TSV hatching if your friend doesn't mind that the OT won't be yours, to add to what Cant say had mentioned.

uote="Detective Barricade, post: 5743690, member: 227381"]Or try your hand at TSV hatching if your friend doesn't mind that the OT won't be yours, to add to what Cant say had mentioned.[/quote]
Im in aware of tsv hatching. I think I have a foreign ditto but what were the chances of it being shiny through breeding?

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Im in aware of tsv hatching. I think I have a foreign ditto but what were the chances of it being shiny through breeding?
This is what TSV hatching is:

Every game has a secret trainer shiny value (TSV) that can only be found using special outside tools (keysav and powersaves, or viewing vs. recorder battles using keybv). For example, my TSV is 1185 on my primary game. Every egg has an egg shiny value (ESV) which is generated when you pick it up from the daycare center. This can be checked using the same tools as checking your TSV (keysav or keybv). When the ESV and the TSV match, the egg hatches shiny guaranteed. For example, if you had an egg with an ESV of 1185, you could trade it to me to hatch, and it would hatch shiny no matter what. So, people look for other trainers with known TSVs to hatch their eggs and then return them. Smogon has a list of members with TSVs, which you can find here, however the reddit SV exchange community is much larger, and you're much more likely to find a match there.

There's research currently going on about the actual effects of the shiny charm and masuda method. With the shiny charm, your chances are roughly 1:500 eggs. Without the shiny charm, it looks like they're roughly 1:800 eggs.

Last edited:
I wanted to learn about soft resetting when it comes to egg hatching and shinies. When do you reset game or is it faster to just hatch them continuously?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I wanted to learn about soft resetting when it comes to egg hatching and shinies. When do you reset game or is it faster to just hatch them continuously?
If you're talking about ESV hatching, I find it easier to fill up your party with eggs and save, then hatch them. Go and get them checked at the IV checker in Kiloude and if any of them have the ability+IVs you want take note which ones they are in your party and reset. Then go to a PC and move the good eggs into a box, then go and hatch the eggs you don't want. Repeat this until you have several 'good eggs' saved up, then you can get their ESVs checked...

If you're trying to hatch a shiny yourself, just hatch continuously until you get one

You can't soft reset eggs, the features of the Pokemon inside is determined when the game is generating it. (like after you accept or reject the egg currently ready for pick up) You only soft reset if you hatch an ideal Pokemon and you want to hatch it in a specific location or to have its ESV checked later when you have a bunch.

If you mean the Time Machine Breeding Method, it's faster to just continuously hatch eggs. The Time Machine method is really tedious for anything other than getting 6IVs (and only then if you already have 6IV parents) and Hidden Power spreads.

I have a bootleg version of Sapphire. It has a grey cartridge and it deleted my save file every time I used it starting a few months after I bought it. Does anyone know if there is any way to fix it? Maybe unscrew the cartridge and dig around, replace the battery or something? And if it gets fixed, would it be compatible with Coliseum, FRLG, and DPP? I thought about buying a new version, but my local Gamestop and many more don't sell GBA games anymore (or was it Game Cube games they stopped selling and they had the GBA stuff in the glass counter). Amazon is expensive (24$) and I don't necessarily trust used games that site or ebay since you might get scammed into buying another bootleg version despite the translucent appearance of the cartridge.

On a related note, I also have the legit versions of Ruby and Emerald. The internal battery of Ruby ran out a few years ago and the one for Emerald ran dry a few months ago. Does anyone know what sort of batteries all three of these games require and where to buy them? I bought them all in Japan in the Navy Exchanges of American bases around their original release dates. Just wondering if there might be technical difficulties since they might be international versions.

Last edited:
I have a bootleg version of Sapphire. It has a grey cartridge and it deleted my save file every time I used it starting a few months after I bought it. Does anyone know if there is any way to fix it? Maybe unscrew the cartridge and dig around, replace the battery or something? And if it gets fixed, would it be compatible with Coliseum, FRLG, and DPP? I thought about buying a new version, but my local Gamestop and many more don't sell GBA games anymore (or was it Game Cube games they stopped selling and they had the GBA stuff in the glass counter). Amazon is expensive (24$) and I don't necessarily trust used games that site or ebay since you might get scammed into buying another bootleg version despite the translucent appearance of the cartridge.

On a related note, I also have the legit versions of Ruby and Emerald. The internal battery of Ruby ran out a few years ago and the one for Emerald ran dry a few months ago. Does anyone know what sort of batteries all three of these games require and where to buy them? I bought them all in Japan in the Navy Exchanges of American bases around their original release dates. Just wondering if there might be technical difficulties since they might be international versions.
Replacing the battery would do little to fix your bootleg Sapphire game, as the GBA games only rely on it for the internal clock iirc. I can start up my Emerald game, but I can't do any clock-based events on it for example. It's probably not worth buying new batteries for them as you can still play the legit ones. (and your bootleg Sapphire if it can be fixed)

I have no idea though if them being possibly international versions would affect their compatibility with other stuff.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
If you mean the Time Machine Breeding Method, it's faster to just continuously hatch eggs. The Time Machine method is really tedious for anything other than getting 6IVs (and only then if you already have 6IV parents) and Hidden Power spreads.
To further expand on this (and I'm tagging .com to fact check me because he's the expert on this), TMM is also useful when used with powersaves (for save backup/restores) to SV hatch shiny flawless 12.5% females and incense breeders with optimal natures, as eggs generated off of the same save restore by a game without the shiny charm using the TMM will have different ESVs.

So, I have a question but I don't know if this is the right place to ask it. If it is not, then please redirect me to the correct thread. Now on with the question:
Is it possible to change your user name here on smogon? If so, can someone tell me how?(Just curious)
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)