The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even not being a Packers fan, I can't decide whether the mornhinweg timeout or the James Jones double funble is funnier. At least this horrible week of injuries and drama has a little comic relief...

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm getting destroyed in all of my fantasy leagues... but the Seahawks / Lions / Vikings and soon the Bears lost.

Go Packers!!

What do you guys think about the Robert Griffin situation? For the team's sake I hope they just keep starting Cousins since Griffin is just pathetic at this point.

On a sadder note, this is not the 2-0 start I hoped the Raiders would get :(

Also Niners vs Bears reffing is atrocious...

Last edited:

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
As a Bucs fan, it's really pissing me off how we're losing to back-up QBs. I can tolerate a loss to Carolina, a somewhat respected rival, but to St. Louis? Damn it, this is embarrassing. I'm tempted to blame the offense. Our O-line sucks, like it's really bad. Bad to the point where even if our QB doesn't play like complete ass he still gets restricted on making solid plays. The amount of pressure on the pocket is killer to us making any sort of ground.

At this rate, it's just going to be another one of those 4-12 seasons. Oh well, I'm used to it now.

Cutler is playing like shit... holding on to the ball for far too long on almost every play. The guy has about 50 yards passing FIFTY! through almost an entire half of football. He's had Forte wide open on multiple plays, but every time he chooses to haul it deep to either Jeffery or Marshall and comes away with nothing.

and to top it off, these officials are just ruining this game.... let them play football ffs

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
The officials are mostly making the right calls here, blame the players for commiting the fouls. The frank gore one was kinda bullshit though (on his td run)

What do you guys think about the Robert Griffin situation? For the team's sake I hope they just keep starting Cousins since Griffin is just pathetic at this point.

On a sadder note, this is not the 2-0 start I hoped the Raiders would get :(

Also Niners vs Bears reffing is atrocious...
The Skins need to shop one of their QBs thats for sure. They should just let Cousins start the rest of the year.

Last edited:
The officials are mostly making the right calls here, blame the players for commiting the fouls. The frank gore one was kinda bullshit though (on his td run)
the overturn of the sideline Marty B catch was total bullshit, even if it might have been the technically correct call

Cutler is playing like shit... holding on to the ball for far too long on almost every play. The guy has about 50 yards passing FIFTY! through almost an entire half of football. He's had Forte wide open on multiple plays, but every time he chooses to haul it deep to either Jeffery or Marshall and comes away with nothing.

and to top it off, these officials are just ruining this game.... let them play football ffs
It's funny how quickly things turn in the 2nd half. >.>

Will admit those Kyle Fuller interceptions were nice though.

Edit: Fucking dammit, just curse your new stadium with a loss in its very first home game why don't you? Against a team depleted with injuries at that...sigh...

Last edited:

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Loved the start to our season so far. The last time the Panthers had a 2-0 start was 2008, before that was 2003 and those were both two of the best seasons we have ever had. (and with a much better QB now and maybe the best defense we have had in franchise history), I am hoping we can excel. Not sure what to think of our offense, honestly Derek Anderson made Kelvin Benjamin look like a monster, but Cam Newton made all of our receivers look good /except/ Benjamin, who would get hit in the numbers and drop the ball, just to make some insane circus catches later. He's still very raw and needs more play time, Avant, Olsen, and Cotchery definitely showed that we have upgraded our receiving corps though :)

WaterBomb , Your Steelers are up next so good luck :) I'm not sure how good ya'll offense or defense is this year. Offense seems one dimensional in terms of 1 great reciever in Brown, and we of course need to stop Bell which stopping the run is what our team does very well. In terms of Defense you guys don't seem as tough, but the Steelers have been Carolina's bane in the regular season for years now.

Regardless, Cam looked great, all of our RB's are injured, Defense looked solid, Melvin White looked amazing, good start to the year :)

Carolina's secondary is still a weakness imo but the front 7 covers it up for now. The 2003 Panthers had a very solid secondary.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Why is it weak? We've upgraded our safeties, our guys are developing. You say they are a weakness because NFL.Com/ESPN says that's their weakness; where in reality, we've upgraded to an actual #1 CB in Cason, who was lackluster last year and the year before, but held Megatron to 80 yards? Which in itself is good, Stafford threw just south of 50 passes, targeted Megatron most of the day and Cason nearly shut down Megatron in the 2nd half. Melvin White is our #2 and was an undrafted Rookie FA last year, dude has only had upside this year. Has an interception (off Megatron via Harper batting it) and shut down Tate the entire 2nd half of the game. Roman while not his self from 4 years ago, has been just as good as our Safety tandem of last year (Him and DeCoud have been stout). I think that if you compare our front 7 to our DB's, you won't ever be satisfied, but I think at this point, people just need to man up and say our DB's aren't as bad as they are made out to be, same with our WR's. The biggest weakness for our team this year is our OLine. No solid LT - they got torn apart a bit.

The Panthers ofc don't have a Richard Sherman, Revis, ETC but they have Bene Benwikire, White, Cason, Godfrey and tbh it's the most solid we've been in a long time. (Would love Gamble back but what can you do - were improving!) :)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The rules state that a call should only be reversed if the evidence is clear. It was initially called a catch, and I don't remember the replay revealing anything that CLEARLY showed the ball spun after he went out of bounds. What I saw was his feet come down, the ball spin while his feet were still down, then he secured the ball and fell out. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't think there was enough evidence to reverse the call. Of course I'm just a fan so I'm probably wrong.

The rules state that a call should only be reversed if the evidence is clear. It was initially called a catch, and I don't remember the replay revealing anything that CLEARLY showed the ball spun after he went out of bounds. What I saw was his feet come down, the ball spin while his feet were still down, then he secured the ball and fell out. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't think there was enough evidence to reverse the call. Of course I'm just a fan so I'm probably wrong.
The issue (or at least as far as I understood it) was basically the same as the Calvin Johnson rule, in that he didn't fully maintain control over the ball as he was going towards the ground. The reason for this is because the ball was slapped by the defender on the way out of bounds. The ball jostled around a bit, but the catch was completed... however, according to the rules you have to have complete control of the ball while both feet make contact with the ground in bounds, so the jostling of the ball means that the pass wasn't complete.

They are supposed to call the rules, not what seems right
The rule is the issue, not the call. As I said, it was technically correct, but most fans would agree that plays like that should be ruled as catches. Instant Replay has allowed them to completely micromanage the sport to a level far beyond what it was intended for, and in the long run that's bad for the game. Possible simple solution - limit replays to a time limit (30 seconds/3 views from each angle/something). If you can't tell what the call should be in thirty seconds, the call should stand. In fact, that's already in the rule book! Irrefutable video evidence should be, you know, less refutable or something.

Ultimately the call was right and didn't matter, but I just don't like calls like that. There were several worse this week (the Harvin "touchdown" and apparently something similar in Buffalo), but I only mentioned it because it was on primetime and all.

Remember when the Bucs were all the talking heads' sexy playoff sleeper pick at the beginning of the season? Good times.
How many games until Mike Glennon takes over?

Also Foles looks terrible. I expected him to regress but not this bad.

How many games until Mike Glennon takes over?

Also Foles looks terrible. I expected him to regress but not this bad.
the thing about foles is that he had such an excellent season last year that even a slight dip in performance seems like a dissapointment. by simply throwing THREE interceptions this season (if and when) he'll face some criticism.

the guy is solid, and he is well suited to chip kelly's system. just dont expect historically great numbers like last season.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
"Andrew Luck is the most clutch QB ever! He makes his teammates better! He's an elite quarterback(TM)! He just finds ways to win games!" - Your Favorite ESPN Talking Head. Luck has been amazing the last two years and still hasn't come close to living up to the unreasonable hype and praise sportswriters have forced on him. Last week's Sports Illustrated had Andrew Luck on the cover and the words "The best QB in the NFL" in big letters next to it, with "The man we'll be calling" and "after the upcoming season" surrounding it in much smaller text. I can't wait to see the same talking heads try to decipher what's wrong with the Colts when the obvious answers are the quality of opponents they've faced and regression to the mean.

Fun facts: Nick Foles was the only winning QB to throw an interception this week and Adrian Peterson is kind of an asshole.

"Andrew Luck is the most clutch QB ever! He makes his teammates better! He's an elite quarterback(TM)! He just finds ways to win games!" - Your Favorite ESPN Talking Head. Luck has been amazing the last two years and still hasn't come close to living up to the unreasonable hype and praise sportswriters have forced on him. Last week's Sports Illustrated had Andrew Luck on the cover and the words "The best QB in the NFL" in big letters next to it, with "The man we'll be calling" and "after the upcoming season" surrounding it in much smaller text. I can't wait to see the same talking heads try to decipher what's wrong with the Colts when the obvious answers are the quality of opponents they've faced and regression to the mean.
I dont think the Colts are a SB contender or anything but they did dominate the Broncos and 49ers last season and they beat the Seahawks. Of course with Mathis out for the year and Houston having an easy schedule they might be in tough to win the division.

I do think Luck is a little bit overrated and its annoying how much the media slobs over him.

The irony is that RG3 still stole away the Heisman and Rookie of the Year from him. And look at the sorry state he's in these days. But then again, we'd never hear the end of Luck if he won those awards. Luck undoubtedly good and he does raise a so-so team to better heights like Manning did, but yeah the media coverage does get a bit tiring. Where's all the retractions about Cutler's toughness for example after he took that nasty helmet hit in the chest/gut and still did his part in getting the Bears to win?

The problem in Indy is Pep Hamilton and his terribad play-calling. I can't count how many times last night he called a run right up the middle for T-Rich on first and second downs, who also got 22 touches (also inexcusable, Bradshaw needs to be starting for what he can do in the running and passing game), then Luck has to bail them out on third and medium or long situations. This type of play-calling has been going on since the beginning of last season, and if the Colts are going to play to their full potential, they need to let Luck control the offense instead of babying him like a rookie game-manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)