LC Chespin [QC: 3/3] [GP: 3/3]

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
talked a lot with Goddess Briyella in PM and I think we decided on having two sets, and at the least delaying GP so we can clean this up. Like I told her, I'm perfectly fine with a Bulk Up set (most of my arguing with her was simply to understand what her set did, how it works, etc) but I do not think it should just largely replace the other set. Heysup my set certainly looks like a "so what" set because it is lol. It was tailor made for that specific team, and tailor made to beat Pokemon like Pawniard, Misdreavus, Gastly, etc as opposed to being a more standard set. It was my fault for not posting a more standard one with a better EV spread, as I simply copy/pasted from an import I had. So ofc it is going to be bad as a standard, I simply used it as a basis to get the general idea flowing. I have already talked to Goddess Briyella about how this needs cleaned up. Goddess Briyella a Brave nature was simply used to lower Speed as much as possible, Honedge was only an example of a Pokemon that I was preparing for (I am aware it isn't exactly meta).

Imo we need two seperate sets, as the way Goddess Briyella explained her BU set was that it is actually meant to be a sweeper. It is not something like CM Spritzee, in that BU is basically a filler move that it can use if the situation arises to it. One BU set, and one Pivot set imo, as Chespin's unique ability and bulk allow it to switch into tons of Pokemon, and give it the chance to set up something like hazards, set Leech Seed, hit a Rock Tomb / Low Sweep, w/e you want to do. I really like Heysup's idea of Spikes / Roar being on the set, I'm just concerned as to how that would do moveset wise, as in my experience Chespin should use at least 2 attacking moves (I use Seed Bomb / Low Sweep).

1) If one of the primary reasons for using a Pokemon is banned or altered in some way, I think it goes without saying that the over all analysis should at least be reevaluated.

note: even if there's just an new opinion or thought brought to the table, it should be reevaluated. The job is called quality control after all.
Also Heysup that is exactly what we are doing right now. The thing is we never got the chance to discuss it until right now, because of when Briyella's post was made.

When I used Chespin for fun I think Spikes and Roar were two of the better moves that are sort of being understated here.
agreed
The set TCR listed above is a very much "so what" set in that it doesn't actually do much (its attack is not that high as to run 3 attacking moves (only one of them being STAB)). I think it needs some utility besides just switching into something (especially other Pokemon that can set up hazards or burn it or something).
I already said earlier in this post as well as to Bri in PM, but I would just like to state it further that I personally used Chespin as a "glue" Pokemon, something to patch up weaknesses to my team, so on paper it obviously looks like shit, but it was meant to be a lure to Pokemon like Pawniard (Low Sweep, while also having utility) or to stop Tirtouga (Seed Bomb as well as STAB) while also being a counter to Misdreavus (Payback + 108 Brave EVs). Obviously the EV set would definitely be changed now, but it was extremely relevant during the end of Missy era.

Just trying to get some discussion going here, I also kinda want to see more utility on a possible Pivot set. I was thinking a moveset of Spikes / Seed Bomb / Synthesis / [Low Sweep / Rock Tomb / Roar / w/e] but I'm not too sure

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
talked a lot with Goddess Briyella in PM and I think we decided on having two sets, and at the least delaying GP so we can clean this up. Like I told her, I'm perfectly fine with a Bulk Up set (most of my arguing with her was simply to understand what her set did, how it works, etc) but I do not think it should just largely replace the other set. Heysup my set certainly looks like a "so what" set because it is lol. It was tailor made for that specific team, and tailor made to beat Pokemon like Pawniard, Misdreavus, Gastly, etc as opposed to being a more standard set. It was my fault for not posting a more standard one with a better EV spread, as I simply copy/pasted from an import I had. So ofc it is going to be bad as a standard, I simply used it as a basis to get the general idea flowing. I have already talked to Goddess Briyella about how this needs cleaned up. Goddess Briyella a Brave nature was simply used to lower Speed as much as possible, Honedge was only an example of a Pokemon that I was preparing for (I am aware it isn't exactly meta).

Imo we need two seperate sets, as the way Goddess Briyella explained her BU set was that it is actually meant to be a sweeper. It is not something like CM Spritzee, in that BU is basically a filler move that it can use if the situation arises to it. One BU set, and one Pivot set imo, as Chespin's unique ability and bulk allow it to switch into tons of Pokemon, and give it the chance to set up something like hazards, set Leech Seed, hit a Rock Tomb / Low Sweep, w/e you want to do. I really like Heysup's idea of Spikes / Roar being on the set, I'm just concerned as to how that would do moveset wise, as in my experience Chespin should use at least 2 attacking moves (I use Seed Bomb / Low Sweep).

Also Heysup that is exactly what we are doing right now. The thing is we never got the chance to discuss it until right now, because of when Briyella's post was made.

agreed I already said earlier in this post as well as to Bri in PM, but I would just like to state it further that I personally used Chespin as a "glue" Pokemon, something to patch up weaknesses to my team, so on paper it obviously looks like shit, but it was meant to be a lure to Pokemon like Pawniard (Low Sweep, while also having utility) or to stop Tirtouga (Seed Bomb as well as STAB) while also being a counter to Misdreavus (Payback + 108 Brave EVs). Obviously the EV set would definitely be changed now, but it was extremely relevant during the end of Missy era.

Just trying to get some discussion going here, I also kinda want to see more utility on a possible Pivot set. I was thinking a moveset of Spikes / Seed Bomb / Synthesis / [Low Sweep / Rock Tomb / Roar / w/e] but I'm not too sure
My set is already decided, just waiting on yours. I think the basis of it, as we talked about in PM, should be that Chespin is a Spikes setter that isn't weak to Fighting like Ferroseed and can actually check/counter Drilbur and recover health easily. Just describe the ways it's better than Foongus as a pivot (Ground resist, maybe access to Leech Seed) and also the ways it's better than other Spikes setters. Chespin does way better against the most common Rapid Spinner, Drilbur, than the other common Spikes setters, those being Ferroseed and Trubbish.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK I didn't realize that we were waiting on my set, even after I said that I like Heysup's plan, but w/e I just calced a ton and honestly as a pivot a spread of 68 HP / 156 Def / 236 SpD Impish is a much better spread. With 25 HP (236 HP or w/e Bri's spread is) you take 3 HP from Stealth Rock (12% o 25 is 3), while if you reduce the amount of HP and increase Defenses, you bring that down to 2 HP (12% of 23 is 2.76, which rounds down to 2. If this is not how SR is calculated please tell me, but I'm fairly certain it rounds down to whole numbers). Some relevant calcs, I took both Bri's old EV Spread and mine as a side by side comparison

236 Atk Mold Breaker Drilbur Poison Jab vs. 68 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 10-12 (43.4 - 52.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 68 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 7-10 (30.4 - 43.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo U-turn vs. 68 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 8-10 (34.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Return vs. 68 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 12-15 (52.1 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby U-turn vs. 68 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 12-16 (52.1 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 15)

vs

236 Atk Mold Breaker Drilbur Poison Jab vs. 228 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo U-turn vs. 228 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 10-12 (40 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Return vs. 228 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 15-18 (60 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby U-turn vs. 228 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
(12, 12, 12, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 16)

So basically it doesn't really matter often, the biggest thing is that there is a much higher chance get a low roll, and that you take 2 HP instead of 3 HP from Stealth Rock or a Burn. The weirdest thing though is the Bunnelby U-turn, as it does less damage on your spread but everything else (including Bunnelby's Return) does more damage. IDGI.

Anyway, so that was the spread I came up with, I liked Heysup's idea for a moveset, and something like Spikes / Synthesis / Seed Bomb / [Low Sweep / Rock Tomb / Roar] or whatever else you want would work.

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
Level: 5
EVs: 68 HP / 28 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Low Sweep

So that is the set that I use, it gives you the bulk of 23 HP / 16 Def / 14 Def which with Eviolite is 23 / 24 / 21(?) as opposed to 25 / 21 / 21. 0 Speed IVs allow it to hit 8 Speed, so if it needed to underspeed anything it could, I make that a habit on any sort of tanky pivot, but in no way does that need to be on the set.[/hide]

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
unfixable

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Chespin boasts access to a unique ability in Bulletproof, which gives it an immunity to all 'ball' and 'bomb' moves including as Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball. This allows it to wall various Pokemon that rely on these moves as their STAB moves, such as Foongus and Gastly. Chespin's typing gives it useful resistances to common Water-, Ground-, and Electric-type moves. Its access to Spikes backed by its respectable bulk with Eviolite enables it to be a reliable entry hazard setter. Chespin has reliable recovery in Synthesis, which enables it to stay throughout the match. The icing on the cake is Chespin's access to reliable and somewhat strong STAB options, which not all Pokemon have the luxury of. However, Chespin's typing also leaves it with many common weaknesses to Flying-, Fire-, and Ice-type moves. Fletchling is very common as well, and Chespin can't stand up to it. Chespin is also very easy to set up on should it lack Roar or Taunt because of how passive it is. It has a massive case of four-moveslot syndrome, which severely limits its options. Its Speed lets it down a lot; it will usually be taking a hit before it can do anything in return. Chespin also receives competition from other Grass-types in the tier such as Cottonee and Foongus.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Seed Bomb
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Synthesis
move 4: Bulk Up / Spikes
ability: Bulletproof
item: Eviolite
evs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 236 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

This set takes a different approach to most defensive Pokemon by also including a boosting move in Bulk Up. Bulk Up allows Chespin to set up on many Pokemon and slowly wear down the opponent. Synthesis, in tandem with Bulk Up, enables Chespin to set up and keep itself healthy throughout the match. An important thing to note is that running Bulk Up enables Chespin to live an Acrobatics from Fletchling and OHKO in return with Rock Slide at +1. Rock Slide itself is a very nice move on Chespin because it Chespin naturally lures in Bug- and Fire-type Pokemon such as Larvesta and Ponyta. Seed Bomb is a very reliable STAB move that allows Chespin to beat down Chinchou and gets nice coverage all around with Rock Slide. Although Bulk Up is highly advised, running Spikes is not a bad idea because of the raw support it provides. Spikes also wears down switch-ins and is nice to help its Chespin's teammates through this mean.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is the item of choice over Berry Juice because it offers more sustainability and an overall higher boost in bulk; Synthesis keeps Chespin healthy as well. Chespin should invest more into Special Defense give a better reason to further boost it. Although Impish seems a bit odd when running a specially defensive EV set, it provides an overall larger boost by boosting Chespin's Defense stat to an even number to hit an Eviolite number. Running 28 Attack EVs is are to give Chespin one extra point in Attack. Overgrow should never be considered when running Chespin, as Bulletproof always outclasses it. Bulletproof is a unique ability and is phenomenal to wall Gastly and also wall Foongus, amongst other Pokemon. Thus, the benefits from Bulletproof far outweigh the niches of Overgrow.

Usage Tips
========

Chespin is phenomenal at countering Drilbur, which is what this set does best. Drilbur cannot break through Chespin without running Poison Jab, which is not advised whatsoever, while Chespin severely dents it with Seed Bomb. Chespin also counters Pokemon such as Foongus and Gastly that rely on 'ball' or 'bomb' moves completely. This basically means you should to try and prevent Chespin from being worn down too much to the point where it is unable to check these Pokemon. Bulk Up should not be used recklessly, as Chespin is still able to be set up on in return. If running Spikes, try setting Spikes when Chespin forces a switch to slowly set and rack up entry hazard damage.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that have great difficulty with Drilbur are prime partners. This includes Pokemon such as defensive Chinchou and Magnemite. Chinchou in particular has nice synergy with Chespin and can keep it Chespin healthy through the use of Heal Bell. Chespin itself still doesn't appreciate opposing Fire- and Flying-types, which Chinchou keeps in check. When running Spikes, Pokemon such as Tirtouga and Larvesta that enjoy the opponents being worn down before they sweep make good partners.

Other Options
########

Bulk Up or Curse sets can be pulled off thanks to Chespin's high Attack stat; however, its offensive capabilities are far eclipsed by its defensive capabilities. Chespin also has access to Swords Dance to become an immediate threat, but it's often too slow to pull off a sweep. Stone Edge is interesting to hit potential Fire- and Flying-type switch-ins, but it has little use aside from this. Payback is interesting as it allows Chespin to OHKO Gastly. Brick Break hits Pawniard hard, deterring it from setting up. Poison Jab hits Spritzee for super effective damage, but has subpar coverage otherwise. Aerial Ace gets nice coverage and is also a way to hit Foongus. Low Sweep hits Steel-types and also has the benefit of lowering Speed for Chespin's team to take advantage of. Finally, Toxic is viable to hurt a ton of defensive Pokemon while also putting most other Pokemon on timers.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fletchling**: Fletchling resists Chespin's STAB moves and can easily set up a Swords Dance on it. Fletchling also has a powerful STAB attack of its own to dispose of Chespin with.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed wall Chespin and render it setup fodder.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Flying-type moves from Fletchling, Fire-type moves from Ponyta, and Ice-type moves from Snover all put a dent in Chespin, even though it is bulky.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed and resist Seed Bomb.

2/2

Last edited:
unfixable

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Chespin boasts access to a unique ability in Bulletproof, which gives it an immunity to all 'ball' and 'bomb' moves including as Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball. This allows it to wall various Pokemon that rely on these moves as their STAB moves, such as Foongus and Gastly. Chespin's typing gives it useful resistances to common Water-, Ground-, and Electric-type moves. Its access to Spikes backed by its respectable bulk with Eviolite enables it to be a reliable entry hazard setter. Chespin has reliable recovery in Synthesis, which enables it to stay throughout the match. The icing on the cake is Chespin's access to reliable and somewhat strong STAB options, which not all Pokemon have the luxury of. However, Chespin's typing also leaves it with many common weaknesses to Flying-, Fire-, and Ice-type moves. Fletchling is very common as well, and Chespin can't stand up to it. Chespin is also very easy to set up on should it lack Roar or Taunt because of how passive it is. It has a massive case of four-moveslot syndrome, which severely limits its options. Its Speed lets it down a lot; it will usually be taking a hit before it can do anything in return. Chespin also receives competition from other Grass-types in the tier such as Cottonee and Foongus.

Defensive
########
move 1: Seed Bomb
move 2: Rock Slide
move 4: Bulk Up / Spikes

Moves
========

This set takes a different approach to most defensive Pokemon by also including a boosting move in Bulk Up. Bulk Up allows Chespin to set up on many Pokemon and slowly wear down the opponent. Synthesis, in tandem with Bulk Up, enables Chespin to set up and keep itself healthy throughout the match. An important thing to note is that running Bulk Up enables Chespin to live an Acrobatics from Fletchling and OHKO in return with Rock Slide at +1. Rock Slide itself is a very nice move on Chespin because it Chespin naturally lures in Bug- and Fire-type Pokemon such as Larvesta and Ponyta. Seed Bomb is a very reliable STAB move that allows Chespin to beat down Chinchou and gets nice coverage all around with Rock Slide. Although Bulk Up is highly advised, running Spikes is not a bad idea because of the raw support it provides. Spikes also wears down switch-ins and is nice to help its Chespin's teammates through this mean.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is the item of choice over Berry Juice because it offers more sustainability and an overall higher boost in bulk; Synthesis keeps Chespin healthy as well. Chespin should invest more into Special Defense give a better reason to further boost it. Although Impish seems a bit odd when running a specially defensive EV set, it provides an overall larger boost by boosting Chespin's Defense stat to an even number to hit an Eviolite number. Running 28 Attack EVs is are to give Chespin one extra point in Attack. Overgrow should never be considered when running Chespin, as Bulletproof always outclasses it. Bulletproof is a unique ability and is phenomenal to wall Gastly and also wall Foongus, amongst other Pokemon. Thus, the benefits from Bulletproof far outweigh the niches of Overgrow.

Usage Tips
========

Chespin is phenomenal at countering Drilbur, which is what this set does best. Drilbur cannot break through Chespin without running Poison Jab, which is not advised whatsoever, while Chespin severely dents it with Seed Bomb. Chespin also counters Pokemon such as Foongus and Gastly that rely on 'ball' or 'bomb' moves completely. This basically means you should to try and prevent Chespin from being worn down too much to the point where it is unable to check these Pokemon. Bulk Up should not be used recklessly, as Chespin is still able to be set up on in return. If running Spikes, try setting Spikes when Chespin forces a switch to slowly set and rack up entry hazard damage.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that have great difficulty with Drilbur are prime partners. This includes Pokemon such as defensive Chinchou and Magnemite. Chinchou in particular has nice synergy with Chespin and can keep it Chespin healthy through the use of Heal Bell. Chespin itself still doesn't appreciate opposing Fire- and Flying-types, which Chinchou keeps in check. When running Spikes, Pokemon such as Tirtouga and Larvesta that enjoy the opponents being worn down before they sweep make good partners.

Other Options
########

Bulk Up or Curse sets can be pulled off thanks to Chespin's high Attack stat; however, its offensive capabilities are far eclipsed by its defensive capabilities. Chespin also has access to Swords Dance to become an immediate threat, but it's often too slow to pull off a sweep. Stone Edge is interesting to hit potential Fire- and Flying-type switch-ins, but it has little use aside from this. Payback is interesting as it allows Chespin to OHKO Gastly. Brick Break hits Pawniard hard, deterring it from setting up. Poison Jab hits Spritzee for super effective damage, but has subpar coverage otherwise. Aerial Ace gets nice coverage and is also a way to hit Foongus. Low Sweep hits Steel-types and also has the benefit of lowering Speed for Chespin's team to take advantage of. Finally, Toxic is viable to hurt a ton of defensive Pokemon while also putting most other Pokemon on timers.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fletchling**: Fletchling resists Chespin's STAB moves and can easily set up a Swords Dance on it. Fletchling also has a powerful STAB attack of its own to dispose of Chespin with.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed wall Chespin and render it setup fodder.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Flying-type moves from Fletchling, Fire-type moves from Ponyta, and Ice-type moves from Snover all put a dent in Chespin, even though it is bulky.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed and resist Seed Bomb.

2/2
Uh, thanks Gato, but I'm not sure what's going on with this yet. Should remove GP sign, my bad, but this is still going through set changes etc. Sorry!

I don't think saying Fletch can set up SD is right in checks and counters, given rock slide is a main slash.
196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 18-24 (72 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Can't even OHKO without prior damage actually.

You make it seem like fletch is a complete counter, Id rephrase it to like:

**Fletchling**: Fletchling can use it's priority Acrobatics to quickly dispose of Chespin, given it hasn't attained a few Bulk Up boosts. Fletchling should be wary of Rock Slide, however.

I'd also remove Bulk Up from oo since it's in a main set.

tcr

sage of six tabs
oh um yeah thats fine

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
Level: 5
EVs: 68 HP / 28 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Low Sweep / Roar / Rock Tomb

is my preferred, and a mention of Rock Tomb over Synthesis with BJ as an item can even be added, but there are far better BJ pivots (thats the set I use, but I also use a ton of other gimmicky stuff,so BJ pivot Chespin probably isnt the best set to be added). Also Brick Break can be added over Low Sweep for the rare times that Pawniard lives (28 Atk Chespin Low Sweep vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Pawniard: 20-28 (90.9 - 127.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO, 2hkoes Eviolite sets. This is problematic bc Defiant, but can obviously be played around with prior damage and what not)

Hey, I went ahead and wrote this up. I'd like two GP checks this time please :]. Fleur did one, but I edited more stuff n added stuff, so yeah! Ready for GP :].

Also, here's the bullets for quick reference:
Moves
========
  • This set is a Spikes setter that differentiates itself from Ferroseed thanks to its instant recovery and lack of a Fighting-type weakness
  • Seed Bomb beats Drilbur, a Rapid Spin user, this is a way it differentiates itself from other Spikes setter such as Ferroseed and Trubbish.
  • Synthesis allows Chespin to keep itself healthy throughout the match and repeatedly set Spikes should the need arise, it also allows it to pivot more easily.
  • Low Sweep OHKOes Pawniard switch-ins easily and is a great move in general for its ability to hit Steel-types, bar Honedge, and slow them down for a temmate.
  • Roar, on the other hand, can phase out Defog users as they come into play and meshes well with Spikes because the opponent will be worn down quickly.
  • Rock Tomb is a weaker Low Sweep but has the added benefit of nailing Fletchling switch ins, which can be useful at times.

Set Details
========
  • The allocated defensive EVs allow Chespin hit Eviolite numbers, achieving maximum bulk.
  • The allocated EVs also give Chespin the best all-around bulk.
  • Eviolite should always be used over Berry Juice, as Berry Juice serves no purpose on Chespin because it has Synthesis.
  • 28 Attack EVs provides a tiny boost in attack.
Usage Tips
========
  • Chespin finds its niche by being able to beat Drilbur, which Ferroseed and Trubbish fail to do, so be sure to highlight this!
  • Use this to pivot into Drilbur and Mienfoo
  • Ferroseed - No weakness to Fighting, Chespin has Synthesis
  • Trubbish - Chespin has much better bulk and Synthesis
  • Pivoting with Chespin is often a good idea
  • Using Spikes on switch ins then switching out is an example of this, slowly but surely setting hazards
  • Its better than Foongus in this regard because Chespin has a Ground-type resistance
  • Be sure to always highlight Chespin's perks over these other Pokemon!!

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon such as Chinchou and Magnemite can form pivot cores with Chespin and enjoy Chespin's ability to wall Drilbur and Mienfoo
  • Chinchou in particular stands out for its ability to use Heal Bell to keep Chespin healthy
  • Pawniard enjoys Chespin's ability to take on Drilbur and Mienfoo and punishes Pokemon trying to remove Spikes via Defog
  • Tirtouga has nice synergy with Chespin, once again enjoying its abilities to take on Drilbur and Mienfoo, and likes Spikes support bc it wears down opponents

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, unfix. :P Here's a check for ya.

add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
Overview
########

Chespin boasts access to a unique ability in Bulletproof, which gives it an immunity to all 'ball' and 'bomb' moves, (AC) including as Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball. This allows it Chespin to wall various Pokemon that rely on these such moves as their STAB moves, such as Foongus and Gastly. Chespin's typing gives it useful resistances to common Water-, Ground-, and Electric-type moves attacks. Its access to Spikes backed by its respectable bulk with Eviolite enables it to be a reliable entry hazard setter. Chespin has reliable recovery in Synthesis, which enables it to stay throughout the match increases its longevity. The icing on the cake is Chespin's access to reliable and somewhat strong STAB options, which not all Pokemon have the luxury of. However, Chespin's typing also leaves it with many common weaknesses to Flying-, Fire-, and Ice-type moves attacks. Fletchling is very common as well, and Chespin can't stand up to it. Chespin is also very easy to set up on should it lack Roar or Taunt because of how passive it is. It has a massive case of four-moveslot syndrome, which severely limits it. Its Speed lets it down a lot; it will usually be taking a hit before it can do anything in return. Chespin also receives competition from other Grass-types in the tier such as Cottonee and Foongus.

Defensive
########
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Synthesis
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Rock Slide

Moves
========

This set takes a different approach to most defensive Pokemon by also including using a boosting move in Bulk Up. Bulk Up, (AC) which allows Chespin to set up on many Pokemon and slowly wear them down the opponent. Synthesis, in tandem with Bulk Up, enables Chespin to set up and keep itself healthy while setting up throughout the match. An important thing to note is that running Bulk Up enables Chespin to live an Acrobatics from Fletchling and OHKO it in return with Rock Slide at +1. Rock Slide itself is a very nice move on Chespin because it naturally lures in Bug- and Fire-type Pokemon such as Larvesta and Ponyta. Seed Bomb is a very reliable STAB move that allows Chespin to beat down Chinchou and gets nice all-around coverage all around in conjunction with Rock Slide. Although Bulk Up is highly advised, running Spikes is not a bad idea, (AC) because of the raw support it provides. Spikes also wears down switch-ins (add hyphen) and is nice to help its teammate through this mean.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is the item of choice over Berry Juice because it offers more sustainability longevity and an overall higher boost in bulk; Synthesis keeps Chespin healthy as well. Chespin should invest more into Special Defense to further boost it. Although an Impish nature seems a bit odd when running a specially defensive EV set, it provides an overall larger boost to bulk by boosting increasing Chespin's Defense stat to an even Eviolite number to hit an Eviolite number. Running 28 Attack EVs is to give give Chespin one extra point in Attack. Overgrow should never be considered when running Chespin, as Bulletproof always outclasses it. Bulletproof is a unique ability and is phenomenal to wall Gastly and also wall Foongus, amongst other Pokemon. Thus, the benefits from of Bulletproof far outweigh the niches of Overgrow.

Usage Tips
========

Chespin is phenomenal at countering Drilbur, which is what this set does best. Drilbur cannot break through Chespin without running Poison Jab, which is not advised whatsoever, while Chespin severely dents it with Seed Bomb. Chespin also completely counters Pokemon such as Foongus and Gastly that rely on 'ball' or 'bomb' moves, such as Foongus and Gastly completely. This basically means to try and Therefore, try to prevent Chespin from being worn down too much to the point where it is unable to check these such Pokemon. Bulk Up should not be used recklessly, as Timburr can Chespin is still able to be setup on Chespin in return and eventually beat Chespin one-on-one. If running Spikes, try setting Spikes using it when Chespin forces a switch to slowly set and rack up entry hazard damage.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that have great difficulty with Drilbur are prime partners,; this includes Pokemon such as defensive Chinchou and Magnemite. Chinchou in particular has nice synergy with Chespin and can keep it healthy through the use of with Heal Bell. Chespin itself still doesn't appreciate opposing Fire- and Flying-types, which Chinchou keeps in check. When running Spikes, Pokemon such as Tirtouga and Larvesta that enjoy the opponents foes being worn down before they sweep, such as Titrouga and Larvesta, make good partners.

Spikes Support
########
name: Spikes Support
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 4: Low Sweep / Roar / Rock Tomb
evs: 68 HP / 28 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD

Moves
========

Chespin differentiates itself from Ferroseed as a Spikes setter because of its access to instant reliable recovery in Synthesis and lack of a Fighting-type weakness. Seed Bomb allows Chespin to beat Drilbur, the tier's main Rapid Spinner, a trait that both Ferroseed and Trubbish lack. Synthesis keeps Chespin healthy throughout the match and allows it to repeatedly set Spikes and pivot much more easily. Low Sweep OHKOes Pawniard on the switch and is a great move in general to hit Steel-types and other switch-ins (add hyphen) and slow them down. Roar, on the other hand, directly phases phazes out Steel-types and forces the opponent's team to repeatedly rack up take repeated entry hazard damage. Rock Tomb is weaker than Low Sweep but has the benefit of being able to smack Fletchling switch ins on the switch and slow them down for a teammate to better take it on. These three moves all provide certain benefits and all are viable to use on Chespin.

Set Details
========

The allocated defensive EVs allow Chespin to hit Eviolite numbers, achieving maximum bulk all-around. This investment, alongside an Impish nature, allows Chespin to make full use of its Defense stat and allows it to be a very viable physical wall and pivot. Eviolite is always preferred over Berry Juice, as Berry Juice serves little purpose on Chespin because of its access to Synthesis. Bulletproof is an extremely useful ability because it allows Chespin to wall Gastly and Foongus with ease, making it the preferred option over Overgrow. 28 Attack EVs is are a minor investment, (RC) but provides a tiny boost in Attack, (AC) which could potentially be helpful.

Usage Tips
========

Chespin finds a key niche in its ability to take on and beat Drilbur with ease. Ferroseed and Trubbish, the other Spikes setters, both fail to do this, so be sure to highlight on Chespin's ability to do so! Chespin has no Fighting-type weakness, allowing it to differentiate itself from Ferroseed; it also has much better bulk than Trubbish and access to reliable instant recovery moves. Chespin should use its high physical bulk to pivot into Drilbur and Mienfoo, and either setting Spikes or usinge Synthesis as they switch it forces them out. Chesping should not try to set Spikes should not try to be all set at once, but rather more so they should be set gradually set throughout the match. Chespin recieves competition from Foongus, as it which has access to Spore and is another bulky Grass-type pivot; however, Chespin has a nifty Ground-type resistance, therefore seperating itself from Foongus. Always be sure to highlight on Chespin's perks and benefits over its competition when using it.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Chinchou and Magnemite that appreciate Chespin's ability to wall Drilbur and Mienfoo, such as Chinchou and Magnemite, make for good partners; these two Pokemon in particular stand out for their synergy with Chespin and ability to form a pivot core together with Chespin. Chinchou stands out for its access to Heal Bell, keeping Chespin healthy by ridding it of harming status. Magnemite is able to pivot into Chespin with Volt Switch and really appreciates Chespin's ability to take on Drilbur. Pawniard also likes Chespin's ability to wall Drilbur and Mienfoo and is able to punish Pokemon trying to remove Spikes via Defog thanks to Defiant. Tirtouga has nice synergy with Chespin and, once again, enjoys Chespin's ability to take on both Drilbur and Mienfoo; Tirtouga also appreciates Spikes support to wear down opponents foes for late-game sweeping.

Other Options
########

Bulk Up or Curse sets can be pulled off thanks to Chespin's high Attack stat; however, its defensive capabilities by far eclipse its offensive capabilities ones are far eclipsed by its defensive capabilities. Chespin also has access to Swords Dance to become an immediate threat, but it's often too slow to pull off a sweep. Stone Edge is interesting to hit potential Fire- and Flying-type switch-ins, but it has little use aside from this. Payback is interesting, (AC) as it allows Chespin to OHKO Gastly. Brick Break hits Pawniard hard, deterring it from setting up. Poison Jab hits Spritzee for super effective damage, (RC) but has subpar coverage otherwise. Aerial Ace gets nice coverage and is also a way to hit Foongus. Low Sweep hits Steel-types and also has the benefit of lowering targets' Speed for Chespin's team to take advantage of. Finally, Toxic is viable to hurt a ton of defensive Pokemon while also putting most other Pokemon on timers.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fletchling**: Fletchling resists Chespin's STAB moves and can easily set up a Swords Dance on it. Fletchling also has a powerful STAB attack of its own to dispose of Chespin with. Chespin can catch it off guard with Rock Tomb, however, so Fletchling has to be sure Chespin is not carrying this move. Fletchling also doesn't enjoy switching into Leech Seed either, but this is not as much of a problem as Rock Tomb is. Low Sweep also lowers Fletchling's Speed, which can be detrimental to it. Finally, Chespin can even Roar away Fletchling as it switches in, thus racking up entry hazard Stealth Rock damage, but Fletchling is still usually going to prevail against Chespin.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed wall Chespin and render it setup fodder. However, if Chespin is running Low Sweep, then these aforementioned such Pokemon have to worry about Chespin. No Steel-types, bar Ferroseed, particularly like to take Leech Seed, bar Ferroseed, though. Honedge walls Chespin regardless, but, (RC) it too, (RC) (overpunctuated) does not like to take the residual Leech Seed damage.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Flying-type moves from Fletchling, Fire-type moves from Ponyta, and Ice-type moves from Snover all put a dent in Chespin, even though it is bulky. Chespin can dent all of these Pokemon with Rock Slide or Rock Tomb, though it really should not be staying in on any of these Pokemon them. It is worthwhile to note that it is usually immune to Sludge Bomb thanks to Bulletproof, technically removing Chespin's Poison-type weakness.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types, such as Foongus, Cottonee, Ferroseed, and opposing Chespin, are immune to Leech Seed and resist Seed Bomb. Such Grass-types include Foongus, opposing Chespin, Cottonee, and Ferroseed. However, these Grass-types fail to do much to Chespin in return, thus creating a stalemate.

GP 2/3

Last edited:
Implemented Weebl ! I do have one concern though: Spiker. I don't think this sounds very good at all, Spikes setter sounds much more formal and actually relates to what Chespin is doing with the SPikes, ya feel?

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
3/3 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Chespin boasts a unique ability in Bulletproof, which gives it an immunity to all 'ball' and 'bomb' moves, including Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball. This allows Chespin to wall Pokemon that rely on such moves as their STAB moves, such as Foongus and Gastly. Chespin's typing gives it useful resistances to common Water-, Ground-, and Electric-type attacks. Its access to Spikes, (comma) backed by its respectable bulk with Eviolite, (comma) enables it to be a reliable entry hazard setter. Chespin has reliable recovery in Synthesis, which increases its longevity. The icing on the cake is Chespin's access to reliable and somewhat strong STAB options, which not all Pokemon have the luxury of. However, Chespin's typing also leaves it with many common weaknesses to Flying-, Fire-, and Ice-type attacks. Fletchling is very common as well, and Chespin can't stand up to it. Chespin is also very easy to set up on should it lack Roar or Taunt because of how passive it is. It has a massive case of four-moveslot syndrome, which severely limits it, and its Speed lets it down a lot, as it will usually be taking a hit before it can do anything in return. Chespin also receives competition from other Grass-types in the tier such as Cottonee and Foongus.

Defensive
########
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Synthesis
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Rock Slide

Moves
========

This set takes a different approach to most defensive Pokemon by also using a boosting move in Bulk Up, which allows Chespin to differentiate itself from other defensive Pokemon by letting it (the clause afterward seemed like an afterthought pre-change, which it shouldn't be because it's describing the move, and the part about boosting was repetitive; also, the original was slightly awkward.) set up on many Pokemon and slowly wear them down. (*) Synthesis, (remove comma) in tandem with Bulk Up, (remove comma) enables Chespin to keep itself healthy while setting up throughout the match. An important thing to note is that runningBulk Up enables Chespin to live an Acrobatics from Fletchling and OHKO it in return with Rock Slide at +1. (move sentence to *) Rock Slide itself is a very nice move on Chespin, which because it naturally lures in Bug- and Fire-type Pokemon such as Larvesta and Ponyta. Seed Bomb is a very reliable STAB move that allows Chespin to beat down Chinchou and gets nice all-around coverage in conjunction with Rock Slide. Although Bulk Up is highly advised, running Spikes is not a bad idea instead (remove comma) because of the raw support it provides. Spikes also wears down switch-ins, helping Chespin's teammates and is nice to help its teammate through this mean.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is the item of choice over Berry Juice because it offers more longevity and overall higher bulk; Synthesis keeps Chespin healthy as well. Chespin should invest into Special Defense to further boost it. Although an Impish nature seems a bit odd when running a specially defensive EV spread set, it provides an overall larger boost to bulk by increasing Chespin's Defense stat to an even Eviolite number. 28 Attack EVs give Chespin one extra point in Attack. Overgrow should never be considered when running Chespin, as Bulletproof always outclasses it. Bulletproof is a unique ability and is phenomenal by allowing Chespin to wall Gastly and Foongus, amongst other Pokemon. Thus, the benefits of Bulletproof far outweigh the niches of Overgrow.

Usage Tips
========

Chespin is phenomenal at countering Drilbur, which is what this set does best. Drilbur cannot break through Chespin without running Poison Jab, which is not advised whatsoever, (first slash on scarf and in oo iirc) while Chespin severely dents it with Seed Bomb. Chespin also completely counters Pokemon that rely on 'ball' or 'bomb' moves, such as Foongus and Gastly. Therefore, try to prevent Chespin from being worn down too much to the point where it is unable to check such Pokemon. Bulk Up should not be used recklessly, as Timburr can set up on Chespin in return and eventually beat Chespin one-on-one. If running Spikes, try using it when Chespin forces a switch to slowly rack up entry hazard damage.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that have great difficulty with Drilbur are prime partners; this includes Pokemon such as defensive Chinchou and Magnemite. Chinchou in particular has nice synergy with Chespin and can keep it healthy with Heal Bell. Chespin itself doesn't appreciate opposing Fire- and Flying-types, which Chinchou keeps in check. When running Spikes, Pokemon that enjoy foes being worn down before they sweep, such as Titrouga and Larvesta, make good partners.

Spikes Support
########
name: Spikes Support
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 4: Low Sweep / Roar / Rock Tomb
evs: 68 HP / 28 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD

Moves
========

Chespin differentiates itself from Ferroseed as a Spikes setter because of its access to reliable recovery in Synthesis and its lack of a Fighting-type weakness. Seed Bomb allows Chespin to beat Drilbur, the tier's main Rapid Spinner, a trait that both Ferroseed and Trubbish lack. Synthesis keeps Chespin healthy throughout the match and allows it to repeatedly set Spikes and pivot much more easily. Low Sweep OHKOes Pawniard on the switch and is a great move in general to hit and slow Steel-types and other switch-ins and slow them down. Roar, on the other hand, phazes out Steel-types and forces the opponent's team to take repeated entry hazard damage. Rock Tomb is weaker than Low Sweep but has the benefit of being able to smack Fletchling on the switch and slow them it down for a teammate to better take it on. These three moves all provide certain benefits, (comma) and all are viable to use on Chespin.

Set Details
========

The allocated defensive EVs allow Chespin to hit Eviolite numbers, achieving maximum bulk all-around. This investment, alongside an Impish nature, allows Chespin to make full use of its Defense stat and allows it to be a very viable physical wall and pivot. (%) Eviolite is always preferred over Berry Juice, as Berry Juice which serves little purpose on Chespin because of its access to Synthesis. Bulletproof is an extremely useful ability because it allows Chespin to wall Gastly and Foongus with ease, making it the preferred option over Overgrow. 28 Attack EVs are a minor investment but provide a tiny boost in Attack, which could potentially be helpful. (move sentence to %)

Usage Tips
========

Chespin finds a key niche in its ability to take on and beat Drilbur with ease. Ferroseed and Trubbish, other Spikes setters, both fail to do this, so be sure to highlight capitalize on Chespin's ability to do so. (exclamation mark to period) Chespin has no Fighting-type weakness, allowing it to differentiate itself from Ferroseed; it also has much better bulk than Trubbish and access to reliable recovery moves. (more overview material than ut imo) Chespin should use its high physical bulk to pivot into physical threats such as Drilbur and Mienfoo and either set Spikes or use Synthesis as it forces them out. Chespin should not try to set Spikes all at once, but rather set them gradually throughout the match. Chespin recieves competition from Foongus, which has access to Spore and is another bulky Grass-type pivot; however, Chespin has a nifty Ground-type resistance, therefore seperating that allows it to differentiate itself from Foongus. Always be sure to highlight on Chespin's perks and benefits over its competition when using it. (again, more overview material than ut but it's your call on whether or not to move it as it fits okay here)

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate Chespin's ability to wall Drilbur and Mienfoo, such as Chinchou and Magnemite, make for good partners; these two Pokemon in particular stand out for their synergy and ability to form a pivot core together with Chespin. Chinchou stands out for its access to Heal Bell, keeping Chespin healthy by ridding it of status. Magnemite is able to pivot into Chespin with Volt Switch and really appreciates Chespin's ability to take on Drilbur. Pawniard also likes Chespin's ability to wall Drilbur and Mienfoo and is able to punish Defoggers Pokemon trying to remove Spikes via Defog thanks to Defiant. Tirtouga has nice synergy with Chespin and, once again, enjoys Chespin's ability to take on both Drilbur and Mienfoo; Tirtouga also appreciates Spikes support to wear down foes for late-game sweeping.

Other Options
########

Bulk Up or Curse sets can be pulled off thanks to Chespin's high Attack stat; however, its defensive capabilities by far eclipse its offensive ones. Chespin also has access to Swords Dance to become an immediate threat, but it's often too slow to pull off a sweep. Stone Edge is interesting to hit potential Fire- and Flying-type switch-ins, but it has little use aside from this, and Rock Slide or Rock Tomb usually do the job better. Payback is interesting, as it allows Chespin to OHKO Gastly. Brick Break hits Pawniard hard, deterring it from setting up. Poison Jab hits Spritzee for super effective damage but has subpar coverage otherwise. Aerial Ace gets nice coverage and is also a way to hit Foongus. Low Sweep hits Steel-types and also has the benefit of lowering targets' Speed for Chespin's team to take advantage of. (slashed) Finally, Toxic is viable to hurt a ton of defensive Pokemon while also putting most other Pokemon on timers.

Checks & Counters
########
(you mention leech seed four times in c&c and nowhere else)
**Fletchling**: Fletchling resists Chespin's STAB moves and can easily set up a Swords Dance on it. Fletchling also has a powerful STAB attack of its own to dispose of Chespin with. Chespin can catch it off guard with Rock Tomb, however, so Fletchling has to be sure Chespin is not carrying this move. Fletchling also doesn't enjoy switching into the rare Leech Seed, but this is not as much of a problem as Rock Tomb is. Low Sweep also lowers Fletchling's Speed, which can be detrimental to it. Finally, Chespin can even Roar away Fletchling as it switches in, thus racking up Stealth Rock damage, but Fletchling is still usually going to prevail against Chespin.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed wall Chespin and render it setup fodder. However, if Chespin is running Low Sweep, such Pokemon have to worry about Chespin, and no Steel-types, bar Ferroseed, particularly like to take the rare Leech Seed though. Honedge walls Chespin regardless, but it too does not like to take residual Leech Seed damage.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Flying-type moves from Fletchling, Fire-type moves from Ponyta, and Ice-type moves from Snover all put a dent in Chespin, even though it is bulky. Chespin can dent all of these Pokemon with Rock Slide or Rock Tomb, though but it really should not be staying in on any of them. It is worthwhile to note that it is usually immune to Sludge Bomb thanks to Bulletproof, technically removing Chespin's Poison-type weakness, but some Poison-types run Sludge Wave solely to deal with Chespin.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types, (remove comma) such as Foongus, Cottonee, Ferroseed, and opposing Chespin, (remove comma) are immune to Leech Seed and resist Seed Bomb and Rock Slide. However, these Grass-types fail to do much to Chespin in return, thus creating a stalemate.

Thanks frenzyplant :]. This is now done unless Goddess Briyella thinks it needs to be changed ^_^. Regarding your UT comments, I'm going to leave both there because they both directly relate to the topic of using Chespin in the first place, ya know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)