CUTEABILITY RANKINGS (see post 205)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[01:23] <~blarajan> Eevee==>S
[01:23] <~blarajan> Mudkip==>B (same)
[01:23] <~blarajan> Chikorita==>A (same)
[01:23] <~blarajan> Surskit==>A
[01:23] <~blarajan> Nincada==>C
[01:23] <~blarajan> Larvesta==>B
[01:24] <~blarajan> Munchlax==>B
[01:24] <~blarajan> Riolu==>A (same)

are what the changes are going to be. If they haven't updated that's because it's a bitch to do. Please start discussing Pokemon we should focus our discussion on. Please do not spend all your time arguing an A rank should be S rank, or Tirtouga should not be S rank. Both of which are wastes of time at this stage.

Also, if someone could please find the Pokemon that are on the list twice, and which Pokemon aren't on the list at all, and compile it, that would be great, thanks.

--Cuteability staff

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
blarajan pokemon on the list twice:
  • foongus
  • inkay
  • omanyte
  • magikarp
also why is Bonsly so low? it should definitely get a rank boost given its cute no arms fall-over-and-roll thing it had going on in the anime and it's so adorable when it cries. obviously none of the cuteability staff have watched the Battle Frontier arc else they'd be forced to admire Bonsly's cuteability

- I want to bring up Lickitung again for a slight bump. It's not top-tier, perhaps, but it's definitely better than macle rank.
Reasons: Pink, squishy, cute beady eyes. Jessie owned one so it's probably at least somewhat adorable. It gives rather sticky, gross, but cute hugs with its tongue. C rank isn't too bad for Licky, if you ask me.

- Natu also needs a move up. That Bouffalant/Natu card sequence I posted should be enough. It's also one of the smallest Pokemon, being 8 inches, and it's a round, fluffy baby birdie. It doesn't have much fan art that I care for but the official art is already cute as is. Too cute for D. B rank please.

- Diglett for a rise, too. It's waaaaay too cute as other posters have already mentioned. I'd put it as high as B because it has a little support already.

- Is Bunnelby seriously staying in S? Buck teeth, deer-in-headlights expression, face looking like a posterior... C rank tops if you ask me. Buneary is cute and I don't
object to S for it, but this one is a big no from me.

- Stunky also needs a move down from A for being a buttface and for being so damn stinky. Same rank as Bunnelby. Could go further down to D for the stench.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i updated the things that blara was too lazy to do but didnt take out repeats cause i ouldnt actually remember what we wanted them as and im pretty picky so basically everything would drop one LOL

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
i updated the things that blara was too lazy to do but didnt take out repeats cause i ouldnt actually remember what we wanted them as and im pretty picky so basically everything would drop one LOL
foongus is in A and B and should probably stay in A because it's cuter than the dickens and it can guise itself as a pokeball what's more adorable? inkay is the same way, also omanyte is in C and A so you could dump it in B so it's fair, AND MAGIKARP IS MACLE AND A-RANK who fucked up there

Let me go into detail about my Natu argument, because it's the one I actually really, really care about. Something this adorable has no business being in D-rank.

- First off, Natu is tiny. It is eight inches tall, tied with Pokemon like Diglett and Foongus, and only taller than Joltik and Flabebe. This eight inches and below tier is very important, by the way--these are the ones that you can show to some dude in BW2/XY to get a Poke Doll. Only 15 Pokemon belong in there, and out of these, four (Shaymin, Dedenne, Klefki, Floette) are ineligible for LC. That leaves us 11 LC-eligible mons in this elite size tier. Of course, size isn't everything. But it is pretty big.

For some perspective on what eight inches is: a standard NBA basketball is 9 inches in diameter. You can pick that up in both hands and snuggle it to your chest, you can palm it, etc. Natu's small size allows him to perch on things like this:

Natu is also probably rather fluffy, being a baby bird and all. So Natu is like a smaller, rounder, fluffier basketball that you can pick up and hug. It's like a much less angry Angry Bird. How is that D-rank?

- Natu doesn't just look cute, it acts it too. From Bulbapedia:
Natu is a very cautious Pokémon that is easily spooked. It has the quirky behavior of staring at something until the thing moves.
Don't be scared, little birdie. If it stared at me, I would move to pick it up and snuggle it. Like, seriously. :heart:

- Natu is sorely lacking in good fanart (either that or I'm bad at looking for it), but that's okay. Natu is naturally cute. (See what I did there?)

For example, Natu has some of the cutest in-game animations ever. In Crystal, he gives you a sly little wink:

In Emerald, our excitable little birdie is jumping around. Such cuteness:

And my favorite, Gen V: Natu clumsily waddling on his little legs and stopping to flap his wings and cheep at you as if to call attention to just how adorable he is:

The trading cards are also great at showcasing the little bird's cuteness. This one is my favorite:

- That having been said, there is some legitimately good fanart of Natu:

This cute baby bird definitely needs to move waaaay up into the higher ranks. A-rank is mighty bloated right now and I'm not yet really confident about putting Natu with high-level cuties like Inkay, Phanpy, Torchic, and Kanto starters, but I think Natu is plenty good for B-rank.

Last edited:
*double-checks list* Please excuse my language, but WHY THE Fµ★♪ IS HAPPINY E RANK?!?!?! I mean, just look at how happy and cheerful she is!!! She's so adorable caring for her little eggy! Definitely A rank for sure, but B at the absolute worst! I bet she could arguably be S rank.

To whoever put Happiny in E rank: You really need to lay off the drinking and/or smokes.

To whoever put Happiny in E rank: You really need to lay off the drinking and/or smokes.
I largely agree that Happiny shouldn't be ranked so low, but it has a few glaring flaws in its cuteness that will probably keep it from getting above C+.

Happiny isn't quite as cuddly as it appears. Its egg is so large in comparison to its body that any badly-aimed hug or caress could break the egg, resulting in a messy and tragic trip to the Pokemon Center. Happiny is also outclassed as a mushy Normal-type by Igglybuff, Azurill, Munchlax, and Swablu.

I'd like to suggest dropping Carvanha to E/macle rank. Carvanha is hopelessly outclassed as a cuddly sea creature by every LC sea creature, from moist powerhouses like Horsea, Mantyke, down to Remoraid and female Frillish. One of its abilities, Rough Skin, should tell us that it is wholly unfit for cuddling, hugging, or other types of cute interaction, and its gaping maw and wonky teeth are singularly off-putting.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
*double-checks list* Please excuse my language, but WHY THE Fµ★♪ IS HAPPINY E RANK?!?!?! I mean, just look at how happy and cheerful she is!!! She's so adorable caring for her little eggy! Definitely A rank for sure, but B at the absolute worst! I bet she could arguably be S rank.

As I was part of the group that unanimously put happiny in Macle rank I'm surprised anyone thinks happiny is B rank material let alone S rank. First off, it looks like it is wearing yoga pants that don't match it's own skin tone. And it may be "happy" and "cheery" it isn't cute because it looks like it has a rat tail, which is possibly the most disgusting hair style of all time. Then that brings us to the egg in the pouch. Like wtf, are you a reptilian kangaroo? It's like the token jolly fat kid of LC, not cute but trying oh so hard to be. It's pathetic and I never want to look at it again.

Also I'm satisfied with the amount I drink and don't appreciate you questioning my life style choices, thanks.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Many people have agreed that Amaura is A Rank at least, but what stops it from achieving S Rank? It's by far the cuddliest manifestation of an Ice-/Rock-type one could ever conceive, and being an Ice-type amps up the cuddly factor. It is fairly large for a cutemon, but only means that one can ride around on it, or lean on its side while dozing off; weighing at only ~25 kilos there is little risk of injury should its large size manage to 'squash' you. Compare it with fellow A-Rank dino Tyrunt, where the most (only) remarkably cute thing about it is its random access to Charm, but fact of the matter is that its preferred method of play likely involves gnawing at your arms, with Strong Jaws no less. Hell, that may probably apply to Tirtouga as well blarajan :/. Amaura is just a friendly, cool & harmless bundle of joy, srsly just watch the anime episode.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amaura is very cute, but I think its size works against it, unfortunately. The cutest Pokemon in S-rank tend to be tiny, and while Amaura has an adorable demeanour, I think we should keep it A+/A rank.

amaura isn't worthy of s rank, its eyes are pretty disturbing from the right angle

Nominating Hippopatas for S rank. Its oversided head, stubby legs and chubby physique are just so cute
Photo Evidence:

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Amaura is very cute, but I think its size works against it, unfortunately. The cutest Pokemon in S-rank tend to be tiny, and while Amaura has an adorable demeanour, I think we should keep it A+/A rank.
size is great stop judging amaura for its size and judge it off its personality you are submitting to the fat shaming patriarchal society that is today
amaura isn't worthy of s rank, its eyes are pretty disturbing from the right angle

Nominating Hippopatas for S rank. Its oversided head, stubby legs and chubby physique are just so cute
Photo Evidence:

you like hippopatas your cuteness taste is shit
Many people have agreed that Amaura is A Rank at least, but what stops it from achieving S Rank? It's by far the cuddliest manifestation of an Ice-/Rock-type one could ever conceive, and being an Ice-type amps up the cuddly factor. It is fairly large for a cutemon, but only means that one can ride around on it, or lean on its side while dozing off; weighing at only ~25 kilos there is little risk of injury should its large size manage to 'squash' you. Compare it with fellow A-Rank dino Tyrunt, where the most (only) remarkably cute thing about it is its random access to Charm, but fact of the matter is that its preferred method of play likely involves gnawing at your arms, with Strong Jaws no less. Hell, that may probably apply to Tirtouga as well blarajan :/. Amaura is just a friendly, cool & harmless bundle of joy, srsly just watch the anime episode.
ur cool i like you

Few random thoughts on things discussed so far:

I'd love Spritzee but the mask face with eyelashes is a little bit off-putting to me, sorry. Shame because it has everything else it needs to succeed. It's a small, very fluffy, pink little birdie that smells great. I'm honestly not sure where to place it. I don't feel nearly as strongly about it moving up from D as I do for Natu, but I could live if it went up to high C or even lower B. (I kind of want Natu in A but baby steps, and there's some stuff in B Natu is perfectly at home with (like Axew and Ralts) so there. A could also stand to be decongested a bit but let's not go into that yet.)

---

Happiny isn't the cutest thing in the world, but she definitely does not belong in macle rank. macle-rank is reserved for things that are truly atrocious, sometimes the ones that don't even look like they're alive or anything. The ones that are mean and covered in spikes or just plain un-huggable. Ferroseed, Nosepass, Drowzee. I think Koffing needs to move down too because it's fricking noxious as well, and so does Carvanha for being vicious and grumpy and unhuggable with that rough skin. Those are macle-rank Pokemon. Happiny, for all her flaws, is to me way above that, having both an acceptable appearance and a great personality.

Strong emphasis on the second part: I think the biggest thing that Happiny has going for her is her personality. Sure, you may not think that "jolly" and "happy" are "cute" but they would play a great role in deciding which Pokemon you want to play with. Happiny is a ball of love and happiness, gives stones to people she likes, and wants to take care of little eggs like big sisters Chansey and Blissey. Oh, not to mention that playacting is one of the most adorable things children do, and it should carry over here as well. She could make you trip up by hanging around people's feet, but my Labrador retriever does that and that doesn't make him any less adorable. (Heck, said Labrador retriever bit me in the face when I stepped on him, though the only reason he even got to reach my face was that I got down on my knees and apologized to him. Still a qtπ, though, that dog is.)

Happiny's physical flaws are grossly overstated as well. I see nothing reptilian about her, and in fact I think she's rather fluffy. She's still round and pink and she looks rather fluffy. Sure, hate on her hair--guess what? She does too. She still has a cute enough little face, and stubbly little arms and legs that add to her clumsy appeal.

I'm not even arguing for Happiny to be in top rank, but macle is waaaay too low. C-rank for Happiny is fine, and I actually wouldn't object to her going to B.

Also, to be clear, that thing Happiny has isn't an egg, it's an Oval Stone. It's not gonna get squished or splatted if you hug her, though you may want her to put it down first because it's still gonna make for uncomfortable cuddles.

---

I don't honestly believe Amaura is S-rank but size is kind of a poor argument to discredit her rise. Sure, little ones are easy to pick up and snuggle, but the big ones give nice big hugs so it really balances out. I wonder if Amaura likes to give warm hugs, though. She is Elsa in Pokemon form, after all...

I'd like to preface my remarks with thanks to OP; this thread has been a great introduction to LC, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite metas.

Few random thoughts on things discussed so far:
Happiny isn't the cutest thing in the world, but she definitely does not belong in macle rank. macle-rank is reserved for things that are truly atrocious, sometimes the ones that don't even look like they're alive or anything. The ones that are mean and covered in spikes or just plain un-huggable. Ferroseed, Nosepass, Drowzee. I think Koffing needs to move down too because it's fricking noxious as well, and so does Carvanha for being vicious and grumpy and unhuggable with that rough skin. Those are macle-rank Pokemon. Happiny, for all her flaws, is to me way above that, having both an acceptable appearance and a great personality.

Strong emphasis on the second part: I think the biggest thing that Happiny has going for her is her personality. Sure, you may not think that "jolly" and "happy" are "cute" but they would play a great role in deciding which Pokemon you want to play with. Happiny is a ball of love and happiness, gives stones to people she likes, and wants to take care of little eggs like big sisters Chansey and Blissey. Oh, not to mention that playacting is one of the most adorable things children do, and it should carry over here as well. She could make you trip up by hanging around people's feet, but my Labrador retriever does that and that doesn't make him any less adorable. (Heck, said Labrador retriever bit me in the face when I stepped on him, though the only reason he even got to reach my face was that I got down on my knees and apologized to him. Still a qtπ, though, that dog is.)

Happiny's physical flaws are grossly overstated as well. I see nothing reptilian about her, and in fact I think she's rather fluffy. She's still round and pink and she looks rather fluffy. Sure, hate on her hair--guess what? She does too. She still has a cute enough little face, and stubbly little arms and legs that add to her clumsy appeal.

Also, to be clear, that thing Happiny has isn't an egg, it's an Oval Stone. It's not gonna get squished or splatted if you hug her, though you may want her to put it down first because it's still gonna make for uncomfortable
Whaaa? This is excellent news! I'm glad to see that Happiny isn't holding an egg; I think it enhances its cuteability substantially, especially because it's like Haps is practicing with an Oval Stone for when it's a Chansey and thus gets its egg. It's somewhat similar to how young girls will play with dolls. I imagine that Happiny is dreaming of the day when it will evolve, get its Eviolite, and wall the ever-loving bejeezus out of anything running a special attacking move*.

In light of these developments, I suggest that Happiny move to B-.

Let me go into detail about my Natu argument, because it's the one I actually really, really care about. Something this adorable has no business being in D-rank.

- First off, Natu is tiny. It is eight inches tall, tied with Pokemon like Diglett and Foongus, and only taller than Joltik and Flabebe. This eight inches and below tier is very important, by the way--these are the ones that you can show to some dude in BW2/XY to get a Poke Doll. Only 15 Pokemon belong in there, and out of these, four (Shaymin, Dedenne, Klefki, Floette) are ineligible for LC. That leaves us 11 LC-eligible mons in this elite size tier. Of course, size isn't everything. But it is pretty big.

For some perspective on what eight inches is: a standard NBA basketball is 9 inches in diameter. You can pick that up in both hands and snuggle it to your chest, you can palm it, etc. Natu's small size allows him to perch on things like this:

Natu is also probably rather fluffy, being a baby bird and all. So Natu is like a smaller, rounder, fluffier basketball that you can pick up and hug. It's like a much less angry Angry Bird. How is that D-rank?

- Natu doesn't just look cute, it acts it too. From Bulbapedia:
Don't be scared, little birdie. If it stared at me, I would move to pick it up and snuggle it. Like, seriously. :heart:

- Natu is sorely lacking in good fanart (either that or I'm bad at looking for it), but that's okay. Natu is naturally cute. (See what I did there?)

For example, Natu has some of the cutest in-game animations ever. In Crystal, he gives you a sly little wink:

In Emerald, our excitable little birdie is jumping around. Such cuteness:

And my favorite, Gen V: Natu clumsily waddling on his little legs and stopping to flap his wings and cheep at you as if to call attention to just how adorable he is:

The trading cards are also great at showcasing the little bird's cuteness. This one is my favorite:

- That having been said, there is some legitimately good fanart of Natu:

This cute baby bird definitely needs to move waaaay up into the higher ranks. A-rank is mighty bloated right now and I'm not yet really confident about putting Natu with high-level cuties like Inkay, Phanpy, Torchic, and Kanto starters, but I think Natu is plenty good for B-rank.
When I see this pokemon all I see is a severed bird head with wings and feed glued to it, and if you think that shit is cute you are warped.

I like Amaura as much as the next person but I'd hold off on arguing it, or any of the A-ranks for the matter, for S. S to me should be really exclusive and already looks a little bloated especially when things like Scraggy and Tirtouga are there mostly on a "because I said so" basis which leaves less room for things that are legitimately outstandingly cute. (Not hating, really, Scraggy is an easy A rank for me.)

---

Let's focus instead on cleaning up the lower ranks, especially macle tier. macle is for things that are absolutely atrocious and should be as small as possible. None of Clamperl, Goldeen, Gothita, Happiny, Lickitung, and Magikarp are that, so get those out of there. D rank if you must, but not macle.

Scatterbug and Kricketot are borderline choices for me, especially the former, which is a little derpy for what I'd want in a bug, but not Ferroseed-terrible. I'm not as adamant about getting them out of macle, but D seems to fit them better because while I don't particularly like them they don't strike me as being in the same category of awful as Ferroseed and Nosepass. I understand them staying there, though, by virtue of being not-so-cute bugs.

Everything else is pretty terrible, though, as far as I'm concerned. (Yes, even Whismur. Dead eyes = not at all cute.)

On the other hand, some things do need to be moved down: Koffing and Carvanha are clear macle choices for me. Carvanha is mean, vicious, and not at all cuddly. Koffing spews out toxic gases and doesn't seem to be nice to hug.

D: Already made my case for Natu moving waaay up. Diglett is something that has already been supported and deserves to move up for many of the same reasons Natu does. It also has a cute video early in the thread.

Igglybuff gets unwarranted hate and is about as cute as Happiny, and I support Happiny going up to C. The same rank sounds good for Igglybuff. It doesn't have the same b'aww personality that Happiny has but it's a bouncy little ball of fluff.

Koffing to macle please. It's the worst in D and there are some current occupants of macle far more appealing than it is.

C: Vanha needs to go to macle for reasons I've covered above.

Purrloin has no business in C-rank. After Skitty, it's the cutest kitty cat in the game, and it's got a bit of mischief to it which makes it cuter. If you're tired of goody-two-shoes Skitty, then Purrloin is the perfect fit for you.

Flabebe really, really needs to go to A, if not S. I cannot say this enough: Flabebe is the cutest Pokemon that was introduced in XY. It's tiny, affectionate, has a cute little face, cute floppy ears and an adorable little crown, and its appearance just lends itself to being delicately placed between your fingers how is that not adorable. The possibility of it latching onto things that aren't flowers, though not canon, just adds to its sheer cuteability. I've been holding off nominating things to A for the time being, but this one is just the exception that needs to be made. It's utterly tiny, cute, and has a loving and caring personality. The whole package.

Klink belongs in D if not macle. Apart from being hard metal and rather flat and with sharp teeth making cuddling an uncomfortable affair, Klink also looks like each head lost one eye each. Yuck.

Hoothoot's big red eyes are a massive turnoff. This thing is like Patrat, really, early game mon that has big scary eyes and learns Hypnosis. Do not want. D rank if only because being a round bird thingy could be a potential saving grace, macle or Patrat works too.

Chingling is adorbs in a Mudkip (I agreed with those who wanted Mudkip in A, but B is full of cutestuffs so okay) kind of way, is round and has stubby little appendages; it's not something I'm adamant about because this is more a vote of sheer favoritism if anything, but a move to B would be cute.

Feel free to disagree with my proposed changes. I don't expect everything to be popular much less to happen but these are a few things to think about.

---

Fennekin is still unranked. Easy A rank as far as I'm concerned because it's the cutest starter since Gen III came around and the reason I plunked down a little over one month of my income to buy a 3DS + the game. No lower than B, please.

Espurr is unranked too. It could go to C or D. It has some cuteness potential and its evos are lovely but its stare is pretty fucking creepy and its color scheme is not that appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)