move 3: Acrobatics
move 4: Earthquake
ability: Poison Heal
item: Toxic Orb
evs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spe
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Roost helps Gliscor stay healthy so that it can continuously check Pokemon such as Mega Medicham lacking an Ice-type move, Terrakion, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Mega Heracross, and Talonflame. Roost also helps with Toxic stalling. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from using healing moves, setting entry hazards, and setting up. Toxic spreads status to wear down opposing Pokemon. It also discourages many special attackers from switching in. Fling is useful for poisoning opposing Pokemon and enabling Acrobatics to be full power. Half powered Acrobatics can be used to OHKO -1 Defense Mega Heracross and 2HKO Mega Medicham as well as helping to overcome slower specially defensive Gliscor that carry Knock Off. Acrobatics is used over Aerial Ace as Gliscor can be used as a Knock Off absorber for teams after being poisoned, and Gliscor's ability to counter Mega Heracross through Acrobatics is the main reason for using this set. Earthquake is Gliscor's primary STAB move. Knock Off can be used to cripple special attackers such as Gengar on the switch in. It is also useful for crippling setup sweepers that switch in like Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable and Suicune, which this Gliscor set is complete setup bait for.

Gliscor can also use Stealth Rock if your team needs a setter. Ice Fang allows Gliscor to 2HKO Dragonite if Multiscale is broken, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Protect is useful for additional Poison Heal healing and Toxic damage opposing Pokemon. U-turn helps gain momentum against common switch-ins and allows Gliscor to function as a pivot. However, it is usually better to use Landorus-T rather than Gliscor for this role. Gliscor's moves are flexible, so pick them based on your team.

Set Details
========

The 252 HP EVs increase Gliscor's overall bulk. The 200 Speed EVs are used to allow Gliscor to outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Excadrill. The remaining 56 Defense EVs and the Impish nature make Gliscor as physically bulky as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Physically defensive Gliscor is best used on balanced and stall teams. Gliscor is a great sand offense check. It is important to note that Gliscor cannot check all physical attacks; examples of Pokemon it cannot check are Bulk Up + Taunt Talonflame, Scizor if Gliscor lacks Taunt, Mega Pinsir, Choice Band Staraptor, and Mamoswine. It is important to remember that Tyranitar occasionally runs an Ice-type move to lure and take out Gliscor. Try not to let Gliscor faint until it takes out the Pokemon that it only checks. Be wary of getting Gliscor's Toxic Orb Knocked Off before it is poisoned. After having Gliscor's Toxic Orb Knocked Off avoid using Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, unless Gliscor is no longer useful or can absorb a Toxic, by switching your designated absorber into status moves. If you expect a special attacker to switch in, use Toxic or Fling to cripple them, or use Taunt to limit its options. Fling can be risky at times if the opposing team has a Gliscor check that does not care about Fling, such as Skarmory. Do not use fling before Gliscor is poisoned.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Starmie, and Suicune are great partners because they cover Gliscor's Water- and Ice-type weaknesses. Rotom-W also has the added bonus of checking Mega Pinsir which Gliscor can only hurt through Toxic and Acrobatics. Bulky Grass-Types such as Amoonguss, Celebi, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur are good partners for their ability to check Thundurus, Suicune, and Clefable; Ferrothorn more so for its ability to check Latias and Latios. Gliscor appreciates checks to strong special attackers, such as Clefable and Heatran for Latias and Latios; Chansey, Latias, and Talonflame for Mega Charizard Y; Chansey and Latias for Landorus; and Jirachi for Mega Gardevoir and Greninja. Heatran also checks Gengar, which Gliscor gives opportunities to switch in. Jirachi has great synergy with Gliscor by checking Clefable, helping Toxic stall through paraflinching shenanigans, and taking Ice-type attacks while Gliscor handles most physical attackers that force Jirachi out. Gliscor also needs a teammate to absorb Scald, so prioritize having a Pokemon with Natural Cure, such as the previously mentioned Celebi, Chansey, and Starmie, on your team. Do not use Pokemon with the move Aromatherapy or Heal Bell your team with Gliscor because they have poor synergy with Gliscor.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There should be enough Speed to outrun Adamant Mega Heracross. Also, i think the physically defensive set should have Ice Fang / Acrobatics and U-turn instead of TauntToxic, akin to physically defensive Landorus-T. Ice Fang to 2HKO Garchomp and Dragonite (after SR for Dragonite) and hit other Flying-type Pokemon on the switch, while Acrobatics allows Gliscor to 2HKO Mega Pinsir after SR and deal with Mega Heracross. And both moves allow Gliscor to break Excadrill's Air Balloon, which would otherwise be a counter to Gliscor. Even if those two moves (Acro and Ice Fang) aren't considered good enough for main moves (they are for very specific targets and have limited utility), i still think U-turn should be a must on the set to break Excadrill's Air Balloon and not be a momentum killer as special attackers switch into you (unlike the SpD set you can't stomach hits from them), and be a great pivot in general. On the last slot anything can work really, from the two moves i mentioned to Knock Off, Taunt, Toxic, and Stealth Rock.

Okay, this isn't just directed at this particular Gliscor set but all sets that do this, but what exactly is the point of dropping the HP EVs to 244? 252 HP Gliscor still has the same amount of Poison Heal recovery and it still takes the same amount of damage from Stealth Rock. Dropping the HP 8 points makes Gliscor slightly less bulky overall with no real benefit in exchange. The difference in physical bulk is practically nonexistent (in fact, you take some physical hits worse with a 244/168+ spread than a 252/160+ spread), and using a 252 HP spread gives you ~.6% more special bulk, which is a little bit helpful when tanking weaker special hits like non-Life Orb Gengar's Shadow Ball. It's not a huge deal, but it's still a slightly inefficient spread, thus I think the HP investment on all of Gliscor's EV spreads needs to be raised to 252 unless that extra Def / SpD investment is really needed to survive a certain attack.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Okay, this isn't just directed at this particular Gliscor set but all sets that do this, but what exactly is the point of dropping the HP EVs to 244? 252 HP Gliscor still has the same amount of Poison Heal recovery and it still takes the same amount of damage from Stealth Rock. Dropping the HP 8 points makes Gliscor slightly less bulky overall with no real benefit in exchange. The difference in physical bulk is practically nonexistent (in fact, you take some physical hits worse with a 244/168+ spread than a 252/160+ spread), and using a 252 HP spread gives you ~.6% more special bulk, which is a little bit helpful when tanking weaker special hits like non-Life Orb Gengar's Shadow Ball. It's not a huge deal, but it's still a slightly inefficient spread, thus I think the HP investment on all of Gliscor's EV spreads needs to be raised to 252 unless that extra Def / SpD investment is really needed to survive a certain attack.
244 HP EVs give a poison heal number, i.e. an HP stat divisible by 8 and thus the most effective PH recovery. It's mandatory on SubToxic in order to restore all HP used for a sub in two turns and thus keep on stalling without losing any HP at all for your subs, but as this set doesn't run Sub, you probably have a point here ^_^

244 HP EVs give a poison heal number, i.e. an HP stat divisible by 8 and thus the most effective PH recovery. It's mandatory on SubToxic in order to restore all HP used for a sub in two turns and thus keep on stalling without losing any HP at all for your subs, but as this set doesn't run Sub, you probably have a point here ^_^
I get what the function of the EVs are. What I don't get is why that's important. Regardless of whether it's a 244 or 252 EV spread, Gliscor is still recovering 44 HP points every turn with Poison Heal. Even in the case of SubToxic, it doesn't matter because Gliscor's max HP is not divisible by 4. It'll still create 88 HP Substitutes, and it'll still restore 44 of that every turn with Poison Heal.

Sorry to be such a stickler about this. I just think people get too carried away with these "magic" HP numbers and apply them when they don't actually help (and sometimes even slightly hurt) too often. And again, it's not just this set. I've brought this up in a lot of other places because I've noticed it in many other instances as well.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I get what the function of the EVs are. What I don't get is why that's important. Regardless of whether it's a 244 or 252 EV spread, Gliscor is still recovering 44 HP points every turn with Poison Heal. Even in the case of SubToxic, it doesn't matter because Gliscor's max HP is not divisible by 4. It'll still create 88 HP Substitutes, and it'll still restore 44 of that every turn with Poison Heal.

Sorry to be such a stickler about this. I just think people get too carried away with these "magic" HP numbers and apply them when they don't actually help (and sometimes even slightly hurt) too often. And again, it's not just this set. I've brought this up in a lot of other places because I've noticed it in many other instances as well.
About SubToxic, I didn't know that o.0 I thought you didn't recover back an entire sub with max HP investment, as was stated in the SubToxic analysis, but now that you mention it (and I actually took the time to calc it .-.) that's flat-out wrong apparently.
and please don't apologise, the spread is indeed suboptimal then.

alexwolf I agree that the speed should be increased to outspeed neutral max speed base 75's. I will test out the other moves that you suggested.

Agent Gibbs After doing some calcs, I would have to say that I agree with you on this. Gliscor would be bulkier with 252hp evs.
Example: 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Gliscor: 135-160 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- approx. 29.9% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 244 HP / 168+ Def Gliscor: 135-160 (38.3 - 45.4%) -- approx. 42.1% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal

EDIT: Finally this analysis is QC ready.

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
what the hell is the point of outspeeding Jolly megatar, anyhow?

If it's for bisharp, that's another story, though i'd like to say this:It's a huge loss of defensive bulk (which you could use to outright wall Bisharp), and for what? It's still tanking a quake from you a very large amount of the time, so the best-case is that it's SD'D, except:

+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 96+ Def Gliscor: 232-274 (65.5 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

of course, +2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 252-297 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal isn't much better. But you can roost on that, and then head is only doing like 50% (though it'll flinch you eventually.)

Max phys.D gliscor isn't necessarily doing that much better against Bisharp, but it's not doing so much worse that you need to torpedo your physical bulk just to 'beat' it.

'+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 96+ Def Gliscor: 297-351 (83.8 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal'.

I like alexwolf's idea of outspeeding jolly megacross, though it is kind of unfortunate that you can't roost on bullet seed if that happens. Still, it lets you take on SDcross very nicely, so there's that. Really, if you've already fucked yourself out of that much bulk, why don't we just go the extra mile?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
adamant mega heracross is rare, it's pretty pointless to outspeed just adamant.

252 hp / 60 def / 196 spe sounds fine, that outspeeds jolly megacross

you're also outspeeding mega ttar (which you can toxic) and breloom which is important espec if using acro

I changed the spread to have 196 spe evs for Jolly Mega Heracross. Thank you for your input.

Edit: changed to 192

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
hey, it may be useful for jumping mew trying to jump jolly mega hera. covering mew and mega hera in one slot w/ speed and acro is worth it imo.
no creeping in analyses :( it's very useful indeed, but it just can't be put into the official analysis.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nitpicky, but you probably want to explain that you'd rather use Acrobatics over Aerial Ace because Gliscor's commonly used to tank Knock Off, which he doesn't mind at all after being poisoned, and can KO Heracross and whatnot regardless of defense drops.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
actually so...

acro is the reason to use this. you counter hera, non-acro doesn't counter hera. pretty simple. my suggestion is the following set:

move 1: Roost
move 2: Earthquake
move 4: Taunt / Toxic / Fling

i feel like if you're using u-turn just use a landt and be done with it. fling is a pretty cool option that i tested after seeing it on mien stall, it lets you get full-powered acro which can be fucking strong fast and reliably.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Fling can also be useful for phys d sable and to a lesser extent mew. (Well, you're faster, or get knocked first. But taunt and soft are your best unactivated switchins, and soft requires weardown, which means stuff is getting burned or knocked.)

Also it rekts xatu, though not sure if that has much interest in switching in thanks to knock off. (Or, you know...usage.)

Full-powered acro is great for keld switch-ins btw.

On another note, team options. Firstly, holy crap chansey.

Secondly, an important note. Obviously stall teams like to use aroma/heal bell to take care of status. However, if scor gets knocked, this suddenly becomes a really bad idea.

Now, gliscor does his part to make up for this by sponging most status(even lava plume). But, scald. So if you're using gliscor, espc. as a knock sponge which i assume you are mostly, you need a scald absorber. Ideally this would be chansey or even spdlebi or maybe...idk, restalk cune, nc starmie, jelly or vappy even. It's better if they can take other status too, but scald is the main 1.

But, you really gotta have one, or you will run into problems.

Edit: and in usage tips, gotta say that you cant aroma after the knock, so refer all possible status to your designated absorber.

Last edited:
This is ready for the third check. I added Chansey, Aerodactyl, Celebi, Alomomola, and Talonflame while removing Latios and spruced up the usage tips and moves. I made the changes to the set and added the other recent suggestions.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 2: Taunt / Toxic / Fling
evs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe

Moves
========

Roost is Gliscor's essential recovery move. It helps it Gliscor stay healthy so that it can continuously check Pokemon such as Mega Medicham lacking an Ice-type move, Terrakion, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Mega Heracross, and Talonflame, and Mega Medicham lacking an Ice-type move. Roost also helps with Toxic stalling. Taunt helps prevents opposing Pokemon from healing, setting using recover, entry hazards, and setting up moves. Toxic is useful to help spreads status and to wear down opposing Pokemon. It also discourages many special attackers from switching in. Fling is useful for poisoning opposing Pokemon and enabling full power Acrobatics to be full power. Acrobatics (full or half power?) can be used to OHKO -1 Defense Mega Heracross and 2HKO Mega Medicham, (comma) as well as helping to overcome slower specially defensive Gliscor that carry have Knock Off if ran along side Taunt. Acrobatics is used over Aerial Ace since Gliscor can be used to take as a Knock Off absorber for teams after being poisoned, and Gliscor's ability to counter Mega Heracross through Acrobatics is the main reason for using this set Gliscor. Earthquake is Gliscor's primary attacking STAB move which happens to be Stab. Knock Off can be used to cripple special attackers such as like Gengar on the switch in who would be immune to its other moves. (Gengar is only immune to Earthquake) It is also useful for crippling setup sweepers that switch in, like such as CroCune and Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable and Suicune, (comma) which this Gliscor set is complete setup bait for and common switch ins.
(line breaks)
Gliscor can also use Stealth Rock if your team needs a setter. Ice Fang is useful since it can allows Gliscor to 2HKO Dragonite if Multiscale is broken, Garchomp, and Landorus-T, and Dragonite if Multiscale is broken. Protect is useful for additional Poison Heal healing and Toxic damage on through Poison Heal and wearing down opposing Pokemon through Toxic. U-turn helps gain momentum against common switch-ins (dash) to Gliscor and allows Gliscor to function as a pivot. However, it is usually better using to use Landorus-T rather than Gliscor if you are using Gliscor as a pivot. Gliscor's moves are flexible, (comma) so pick them based on your team.

Set Details
========

The 252 HP EVs optimizes increase Gliscor's overall bulk. The 192 Speed EVs are used to allow Gliscor to outspeed max Speed Jolly Mega Heracross. The remaining 64 Defense EVs and the Impish nature are to make Gliscor as physically bulky as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Physically defensive Gliscor is best used on balanced and stall teams. Gliscor is a great sand offense check. It is important to note that Gliscor cannot check all physical attacks; examples of Pokemon it cannot check are such as Taunt Bulk Up Talonflame, Scizor if you do not have Gliscor lacks Taunt, Mega Pinsir, Choice Band Staraptor, and Mamoswine. It is important to remember that Tyranitar occasionally runs an Ice-type move to lure and take out Gliscor. Try not to let Gliscor faint until it takes out the Pokemon that only it checks Gliscor is your only check are taken out. Be careful wary of getting Gliscor's Toxic Orb Knocked Off before it is poisoned. If you expect a special attacker to switch in, (comma) use Toxic or Fling to cripple them, (comma) or use Taunt to prevent limit their its options. Fling can be risky at time if the opposing team has a Gliscor check that does not care about Fling, (comma) such as Skarmory.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Starmie, and Suicune are great partners since because they cover Gliscor's Water- and Ice-type weaknesses. Rotom-W also has the added bonus of checking Mega Pinsir, (comma) which Gliscor can only hurt effectively through Toxic or and Acrobatics. Bulky Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Celebi, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur are good partners for their ability to check Thundurus, Suicune, and Clefable, and Ferrothorn more so for its ability to check Latias and Latios. Gliscor appreciates checks to strong special attackers, (comma) such as Clefable and Heatran for Latias and Latios; (comma to semicolon) Chansey, Latias, and Talonflame for Mega Charizard Y; (comma to semicolon) Chansey, (remove comma) and Latias for Landorus; (comma to semicolon) and Jirachi for Mega Gardevoir and Greninja. Heatran also checks Gengar, (comma) which Gliscor gives opportunities to switch in opportunities. Jirachi has great synergy with Gliscor by checking Clefable, helping Toxic stall through paraflinching shenanigans, and absorbing taking Ice-type attacks for Gliscor, while Gliscor handles most physical attackers that force out Jirachi out. Gliscor also needs a teammate to absorb Scald, (comma) so prioritize having at least one of the Pokemon with Natural Cure (you never mention Pokemon with Natural Cure) already mentioned on your team. Do not use the move aromatherapy on Pokemon with Aromatherapy or Heal Bell on your team because they with Gliscor since it would make them have poor synergy with Gliscor.

The check has mostly been implemented. I disagree using Crocune in the analysis since I do not expect a portion of the target audience to know what it is. Also, I am working on a better way of phrasing the Natural Cure part.

Edit: I have figured out the phrasing issue, added Tehy recent suggestion, and implemented the amcheck.

Last edited:
Amcheck
Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 2: Taunt / Toxic / Fling
evs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe

Moves
========

Roost helps Gliscor stay healthy so that it can continuously check Pokemon such as Mega Medicham lacking an Ice-type move, Terrakion, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Mega Heracross, and Talonflame. Roost also helps with Toxic stalling. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from using healing moves, setting entry hazards, and setting up. Toxic spreads status to wear down opposing Pokemon. It also discourages many special attackers from switching in. Fling is useful for poisoning opposing Pokemon and enabling Acrobatics to be full power. Half-powered Acrobatics can be used to OHKO -1 Defense Mega Heracross and 2HKO Mega Medicham as well as helping to overcome slower specially defensive Gliscor that carry Knock Off. Acrobatics is used over Aerial Ace since as Gliscor can be used as a Knock Off absorber for teams after being poisoned, and Gliscor's ability to counter Mega Heracross through Acrobatics is the main reason for using this set. Earthquake is Gliscor's primary STAB move. Knock Off can be used to cripple special attackers like such as Gengar on the switch in. It is also useful for crippling setup sweepers that switch in like Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable and Suicune, which this Gliscor set is complete set up setup bait for.

Gliscor can also use Stealth Rock if your team needs a setter. Ice Fang allows Gliscor to 2HKO Dragonite if Multiscale is broken, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Protect is useful for additional Poison Heal healing and Toxic damage on opposing Pokemon. U-turn helps gain momentum against common switch-ins and allows Gliscor to function as a pivot. However, it is usually better to use Landorus-T rather than Gliscor as a pivot for this role. Gliscor's moves are flexible, so pick them based on your team.

Set Details
========

The 252 HP EVs increases Gliscor's overall bulk. The 192 Speed EVs are used to allow Gliscor to outspeed max maximum Speed Jolly Mega Heracross. The remaining 64 Defense EVs and the Impish nature make Gliscor as physically bulky as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Physically defensive Gliscor is best used on balanced and stall teams. Gliscor is a great sand offense check. It is important to note that Gliscor cannot check all physical attacks; examples of Pokemon it cannot check Taunt + Bulk Up Talonflame, Scizor if Gliscor lacks Taunt, Mega Pinsir, Choice Band Staraptor, and Mamoswine. It is important to remember that Tyranitar occasionally runs an Ice-type move to lure and take out Gliscor. Try not to let Gliscor faint until it takes out the Pokemon that it only checks. Be wary of getting Gliscor's Toxic Orb Knocked Off before it is poisoned. If you expect a special attacker to switch in, use Toxic or Fling to cripple them, or use Taunt to prevent limit their its options. Fling can be risky at times if the opposing team has a Gliscor check that does not care about Fling, such as Skarmory.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Starmie, and Suicune are great partners because they cover Gliscor's Water- and Ice-type weaknesses. Rotom-W also has the added bonus of checking Mega Pinsir which Gliscor can only hurt through Toxic and Acrobatics. Bulky Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Celebi, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur are good partners for their ability to check Thundurus, Suicune, and Clefable;(RC, add semi colon) Ferrothorn more so for its ability to check Latias and Latios. Gliscor appreciates checks to strong special attackers, such as Clefable and Heatran for Latias and Latios; Chansey, Latias, and Talonflame for Mega Charizard Y; Chansey and Latias for Landorus; and Jirachi for Mega Gardevoir and Greninja. Heatran also checks Gengar, which Gliscor gives opportunities to switch in. Jirachi has great synergy with Gliscor by checking Clefable, helping Toxic stall through paraflinching shenanigans, and taking Ice-type attacks while Gliscor handles most physical attackers that force Jirachi out. Gliscor also needs a teammate to absorb Scald, so prioritize having a Pokemon with Natural Cure on your team. The best Pokemon for this role are the Pokemon that have already been mentioned with Natural Cure. Do not use Pokemon with the move Aromatherapy or Heal Bell your team with Gliscor because they have poor synergy with Gliscor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)