Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Return
- Belly Drum
- Protect

One of the best ways to check slurpuff is through fake out from the likes of kangaskhan or Hariyama. With protect slurpuff has even fewer offensive checks and the only notable priority that can hit slurpuff now is aqua jet from gatr and kabutops, and bullet punch from Hariyama, which Hariyama relied on fake out to get slurpuff into KO range from bullet punch, so it can also be a surprise to your opponent and you'll end up getting an extra turn to hit something with a +6 play rough.

Editing this in cuz double posting is gay.

Golurk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch / Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Choice scarf golurk is actually a pretty decent spin blocker. Sure, it gets hit super effective by every spinner. But this actually checks some important stuff in the metagame. If you bring it in on Sandslash while it spins, Sandslash gets 2hko'd by ice punch and knock off fails to knock golurk out. Life orb freeze dry and non-life orb ice beam have a low chance of knocking golurk out, and shadow punch has a good chance (99%min, so pretty much guaranteed) and fire punch/drain punch always OHKO. Kabutops dies to earthquake if you bring golurk in on a spin. Golurk has the perfect amount of speed needed to outspeed pyroar by 1 point with a scarf, it's like it was meant to be! Scarf-Golurk obviously outspeeds the base 105s in the tier, and can hit Mismagius with shadow punch and scyther with ice punch.

Last edited:

Heatmor @ Life Orb | Flash Fire
Rash | 132 Atk / 252 SAtk / 124 Spd
Fire Blast | Giga Drain | Knock Off / Superpower | Sucker Punch

Alright this first set is baller. Heatmor is so freaking underrated right now, but given the right support is actually an incredible wallbreaker in NU atm. It has amazing mixed coverae rivaled by literally nothing in NU, and has Flash Fire to check some of the biggest threats at the minute, including Eruption Typhlosion and Specs Magmortar. Unlike Mixed Magmortar though, Heatmor doesn't have to rely on the poor Hidden Power Grass, but instead has the ever powerful Giga Drain to knock Seismitoad upside the head. The last two slots also let it stand out from Mixed Magmortar, as it has strong Priority to pressure faster offensive pokemon, as well as Knock Off or Superpower to easily smash common special walls such as Audino.

Ninetales @ Leftovers | Flash Fire
Timid | 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Flamethrower | Energy Ball | Nasty Plot | Will-O-Wisp

Ninetales is a great mon, but Nasty Plot + Will-O-Wisp is easily my favorite sets. Common checks to it such as Assault Vest Hariyama are baited in and burnt to easily wear them down, not only to convince the opponent you are a bulkier set, but to open holes for yourself in order to sweep later in the game. It is incredibly self sufficient unlike other Ninetales, and acts as its own wallbreaker. outside of that its just as good as any other Ninetales, with good Fire / Grass coverage and Nasty Plot, as well as Flash Fire to smash opposing fire types!

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Ninetales @ Leftovers | Flash Fire
Timid | 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Flamethrower | Energy Ball | Nasty Plot | Will-O-Wisp

Ninetales is a great mon, but Nasty Plot + Will-O-Wisp is easily my favorite sets. Common checks to it such as Assault Vest Hariyama are baited in and burnt to easily wear them down, not only to convince the opponent you are a bulkier set, but to open holes for yourself in order to sweep later in the game. It is incredibly self sufficient unlike other Ninetales, and acts as its own wallbreaker. outside of that its just as good as any other Ninetales, with good Fire / Grass coverage and Nasty Plot, as well as Flash Fire to smash opposing fire types!
Hmm, I'm not particularly sold on the idea on WoW Ninetales when it doesn't really need to burn its switch-ins. I mean Pyroar can make use of it since it has the raw power to take advantage of the chip damage, wearing down opponents on the switch-in, and it has enough room for the move too. Some of the most common foes Pyroar likes to burn are Hariyama, Dragalge, Audino, and Lanturn, if not to simply force the latter two to Heal Bell. Between Nasty Plot and Psyshock, Ninetales doesn't need Will-O-Wisp to cripple them, since it can do way more damage on the former two on the switch, whereas the latter two risk getting overpowered. Psyshock Ninetales already wallbreaks decently, so I'm not too sure what merits WoW Tales brings, aside from dodging Sucker Punch.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Watchog @ Choice Band
Ability: Analytic
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Zen Headbutt / Giga Impact / Iron Tail

I've previously written this pokemon off just because it looks really bad. I was doing some dex searches earlier today though and I was reminded that it had access to analytic. When you pair analytic with a usable base attack stat (85) and some really good coverage this thing can actually do some work. Frustration is obligatory stab and hits extremely hard even w/o an analytic boost. you have to run knock off on everything that learns it knock off is solid coverage for ghosts, bulky psychics and eviolite mons that you need to wear down. Low kick adds some more great coverage allowing you to bop steel and rock type mons that would otherwise switch in on you. The last moveslot is kinda up to preference imo, you can run zen headbutt to bop things like weezing and vileplume, iron tail for granbull and to a lesser extent slurpuff, or giga impact to destroy souls as a last resort. All in all this mon seems like trash but I've had some success with it, don't knock it 'til you've tried it I guess.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Hmm, I'm not particularly sold on the idea on WoW Ninetales when it doesn't really need to burn its switch-ins. I mean Pyroar can make use of it since it has the raw power to take advantage of the chip damage, wearing down opponents on the switch-in, and it has enough room for the move too. Some of the most common foes Pyroar likes to burn are Hariyama, Dragalge, Audino, and Lanturn, if not to simply force the latter two to Heal Bell. Between Nasty Plot and Psyshock, Ninetales doesn't need Will-O-Wisp to cripple them, since it can do way more damage on the former two on the switch, whereas the latter two risk getting overpowered. Psyshock Ninetales already wallbreaks decently, so I'm not too sure what merits WoW Tales brings, aside from dodging Sucker Punch.
wow ninetales is useful for burning hariyama and dragalge since it can't ohko either of those at +2 with psyshock unless it's holding life orb, which greatly cuts into its longevity. i'm pretty sure leftovers psyshock doesn't ohko qwilfish either. psyshock is probably better for life orb sets but for ones with leftovers will-o-wisp is the better option

Bouffalant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Head Charge
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

this set here is different from swords dance set as it gives up substitute for the ability to hit rotom and mismagius. lum berry sort of makes up for the lack of substitute by allowing you to avoid scald burns and whatnot. absolutely destroys stall and can wall break early game versus other play styles as well. best used with paralysis support

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
wow ninetales is useful for burning hariyama and dragalge since it can't ohko either of those at +2 with psyshock unless it's holding life orb, which greatly cuts into its longevity. i'm pretty sure leftovers psyshock doesn't ohko qwilfish either. psyshock is probably better for life orb sets but for ones with leftovers will-o-wisp is the better option
Non-LO unboosted Psyshock can be used in the same manner as Will-O-Wisp to hit Yama and Galge on the switch. If both Pokes are nailed on the switch with Psyshock, Ninetales can safely Nasty Plot in the future, knowing that Yama and Galge can no longer stop it. Not to mention that Will-O-Wisp not only still does not let Ninetales beat them (Pyroar can at least chip away at them with STAB Hyper Voice), but burned Yamas and Galges force out Ninetales regardless, so Psyshock's damage seems more worthwhile for Tales imo, even for Lefties Tales (I actually prefer Lefties NP + Psyshock Tales over LO ones due to better setup opportunities).

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 Spe
Bold Nature
-Calm Mind
-Roost
-Dazzling Gleam
-Psyshock

This Mon is probably the stall breaker yo end all stall breakers. Its so effective at breaking down stall teams thanks to reliable recovery, good mixed bulk, a decent set-up move and immunity to support moves like toxic and rocks. Its now flourishing in a slightly stall heavy meta where it can single handedly crush other stall teams. It also works as a nice win-condition for stall, against stall (if that makes sense) and at team previews will make any opponent play a different way, since if they want to set hazards, they are always risking them being bounced back.
This is the beautiful thing about thisnmon , when it isn't crushing stall teams or acting as a win-condition vs balance teams, it can bounce back hazards and can put an element of doubt in even the best opponents mind.
As for the set, I run Max defense so that I can set-up on steelix and anything which relies on a weak knock off, which is further aided by the item colbur berry which might not seem necessary but at times can be extremely useful.
I use psyshock over psychic/stored power since it allows me to beat cryogonal and other calm mind users setting up alongside me (which is often the case)
Overall, this set is quite underrated especially in a meta where stall is getting popular alongside hazard stack. Should these things be de-popularised for whatever reason, this set does become a liability, but in a meta like ours, its sure not to let you down.

:]
Counters:Crunch Steelix, Crits, Klinklang

Vivillon @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore

Double powder vivillon functions similar to double powder butterfree last gen. The main improvements on this set compared to last gen's butterfree are a flying STAB and compound eyes. Flying STAB is really good because it means that grass types can't block your powder moves. Compound eyes lets you reliably hit sleep powder, stun spore, and also hurricane. How you use this pokemon is you sleep powder first, then stun spore on the next pokemon that switches in. you'll effectively cripple 1/3 of their team in 2 turns. some great partners for this vivillon are trappers like trapinch, and pokemon that have similar checks and counters to vivillon like swellow.

edit: you can also use sash, but if you do theres no point in putting evs into hp.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell / Thunderbolt

Offensive Pivot Lanturn is a pretty awesome set. Lanturn is only seen as a defensive pokemon, but in reality its pretty nice offensive sets are quite strong, and are capable of surprising the opponent. It is able to pivot into a lot of attacks that offensive teams are unable to, and it can deal out damage while supporting offensive pokemon with Heal Bell to help support offensive teams>Verycoolset.

Delibird @ Focus Sash
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Freeze-Dry
- Fake Out / Toxic
- Destiny Bond
Oh look, another Pokemon without much use. Delibird is like my favorite NU Pokemon right now because it's just a bunch of fun to use and puts in the work. Crustle is often a better option in most cases, but Delibird has key notable advantages as to why one would use it. Freeze-Dry is the main reason really. 24 Special Attack EVs ensures that Delibird can 2HKO Seismitoad 100% of the time (Specially Defensive sets, etc). Freeze-Dry gets solid coverage in itself really and Delibird's isn't too shabby. It hits Golem and KOes it during the lead. Take the example of Delibird vs. Golem, Golem uses Stealth Rock, Delibird uses Freeze-Dry. From here, Golem has two options: Sucker Punch and risk the Spikes being set or Rock Blast and die from Freeze-Dry. Either way, this will probably end up with a Golem that's fainted and a Delibird that has set Spikes and is set to take something down with Destiny Bond. Spikes is for team support, as it's pretty explicitly known for. Fake Out is neat to break Sash leads and Toxic can be used for general uses like Audino crippling and such. Destiny Bond is another reason to use Delibird, taking something down with it is great. Encouraging the use of Delibird, a Pokemon often labelled as 'shitmon' and 'trash', when in reality it has its niches and doesn't deserve these titles. Maybe the latter statement is a bit of a stretch, but Delibird is still a cool Pokemon o3o.

upload_2014-9-16_15-20-30.png

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball

Sash Kadabra is a really cool mon that I've been trying out lately and it works fantastically as an emergency revenge killer and Late-Game Cleaner similarly to Alakazam in UU. Kadabra sits in a great base 105 Speed Tier and hits extremely hard. Magic Guard + Sash allows it to live any hit and revenge threats that are already set-up. Calm Mind can be used to pull off a late game sweep once the opponent's team is weakened. Psychic + Fairy is great coverage and the 4th slot is used to handle any specific threats that your team may have.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

So I've recently been using Sceptile more and more frequently, and it is a fantastic Gatr check. However the one thing that seems to constantly hard wall Sceptile is Dragalge. Every time I've used Sceptile Dragalge has just kept Sceptile from doing literally anything. So instead of using Hidden Power Ice as coverage I have Dragon Pulse which does about 45% and can with prior damage or hazards net a 2HKO where as Hidden Power Ice is a 3HKO at best. Focus Blast still hits things like Ferroseed if it would stop missing gdi. Giga Drain is the main thing that Sceptile relies on, and Substitute eases prediction and allows Sceptile to get down to Overgrow fairly easily.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Swift Swim / Poison Point
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Explosion

So I already saw that Galbia had posted this set earlier in this thread, and Scorp mentioned it in the NP thread, but hey its been a while and its a cool set. One thing I wanted to point out that Galbia had wrong is that Qwilfish can not learn Aqua Jet in conjunction with Swords Dance, which is unfortunate because it makes Qwilfish's job of sweeping much harder. I also have Black Sludge over Life Orb on my set to increase Qwilfish's longevity. Pretty much your opponent will assume from team preview that Qwilfish is gonna be a defensive variant because at least 90% of them are, and the other 9% is clearly on a Rain Team. Now as soon as you switch Qwilfish in your opponent will no something is up because of no Intimidate, so save Qwilfish for late game if you are planning a sweep. Swords Dance Waterfall / Poison Jab hurts a lot, and if at some point Qwilfish can not OHKO a physical wall and its at the end of its life you can Explode and take something else down. This set is a lot of fun and I recommend trying it out.

Sceptile @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 184 SpD / 16 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch

This set has by far, been the one set I have the most time to mull over with. I originally made it with Army of Armaldo lads in the irc chat (namely QQ and srk) over the possibility of a weakness policy lure sceptile that can sweep late game. Now that NUPL is over, I assume they are k with me sharing this set.

This pokemon is a 'perfect' lure as bo-one actually thinks of sceptile as a bulky poke, it would surprise you how many hits, and the variety of hits it can take before it dies.
I originally built it with a momentum core based around beating phys def vileplume, which plagued all my previous teams with a weakness that often meant I had to sacrifice pokes to it every time. So I built the EV spread so that sceptile could take a 252 modest sludge bomb off a vileplume. The 60 attack EV's allows it to ohko phys def vileplume with acrobatics at +4 and for the sake of EV efficiency we added 16 EV's in speed + a jolly nature to out speed the entire scarfed meta after an unburden boost.
After toying with it on secret ALTs on the ladder, I realised that it wasn't -just- a perfect vileplume lure, but an awesome late game sweeper. Its near impossible to predict this set, and when it gets going a couple of pokes have to get the sack, just due to sheer surprise.
Its a beautifully offensive check to lilligant, gatr, mespirit (HP fire/ice beam/u-turn variants) which is pretty frightening, as that was THE go to offensive core for a while. It also checks special slurpuff with flamethrower so it really shouldn't be the first Mon you go into unless you have a steelix to deal with the bd set.
This Mon FEEDs off weak hidden powers, uturns, nonstab super effective moves and checks so much of meta right now, but beware, it is slightly weak when not set-up and is almost immediately revenge killed by the likes of kangaskhan and anything with a decent sucker punch on it. The ban on spiritomb also helped physical sceptile since there isn't such a blatant counter.

Overall, this set is a nice gimmick to use in tournament situations where you look to gain an edge over the opponent through sheer creativity, not to say it can't ever be popular, that is.
Drain punch is to recover on random probopass that happen to think you only have leaf blade an acro. Earthquake can be used in this spot, but I liek mai recovery.
The set is quite self I explanatory and when backed up by a nice momentum core, it works wonders against unprepared teams.

BTW f*** khan :(

Sceptile @ Absorb Bulb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Synthesis

Since there's so much Sceptile hype atm, thought I would post this set. Sort of an anti-rain set, the idea is to switch on to a predicted water move such as Scald or an unboosted Waterfall and then do a bit of damage at +1. Obviously takes a bit of prediction to use as you don't want to switch into a Kabutops as it SDs etc, but is a pretty fun way to stop rain.

When in doubt, assault vest

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpA
Brave Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Sneak

- Giga Drain

im not claiming credit for this cuz i found out about it by Hot N Cold way back in the RU Beta stage. Giga drain is useful for luring in ground and rock types such as Seismitoad, Kabutops, and Rhydon. The EVs give you an 80% chance to OHKO Kabutops after rocks, and if you get an unlucky roll you can just finish it off with shadow sneak instead. Sticky hold lets Muk reliably switch into trick scarf rotom. Muk is really good vs rain because it's pretty much guaranteed a kill when it is in vs Ludicolo or Seismitoad. Giga drain actually lets muk defeat Seismitoad 1v1 because it gains enough HP to take 2 life orb earth powers.

101 Sub'd
So i was looking at pokemon with more than 100 base HP and saw these 2 that could take advantage of 101 hp substitutes.

Muk @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Substitute

Muk was the first pokemon i looked at that had a base hp of 100 or more. Focus punch + Substitute means you can reliably use focus punch. Substitute is really useful against things that cant touch you like sceptile or lilligant (lilligant can put you to sleep, but if you have sleep fodder already Muk is a great switch in to lilligant), or even on most pokes on stall teams like audino and cryogonal. Setting up a substitute is really important for slow pokemon like Muk so that way muk can take advantage of forced switches and use the most optimal attack instead of trying to predict.

Aurorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Def / 132 Spe or 72 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Def / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature / Modest Nature
- Return / Freeze Dry / Nature Power
- Encore
- Substitute
- Toxic

This is an interesting set to say the least. Encore gives Aurorus free turns and it can set up a substitute and toxic the opponent. The EVs may seem fairly complicated, so i'll explain them: 72 HP gives Aurours 101 subs, 132 Spe lets aurorus outspeed Seismitoad so that Seismitoad is forced to use an attack on Aurourus otherwise Aurourus can encore Seismitoad into rocks or toxic, or if youre running freeze dry you can hit seismitoad with it. Atk or SpA is maxed out then the rest is put into Def. This set works pretty well against more defensive teams because you can setup a sub against audino, xatu can't switch into toxic because of ice stab, encore forces the opponent to attack you instead of using toxic / wish / heal bell / a bunch of moves stall teams use.

Cased

Banned deucer.
@ Weakness Policy
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire] or [Grass] depending on if you hate Ferroseed or Seismitoad

Arguably one of my favorite sets this metagame, I know there's a fair amount of priority this metagame but this is seriously a great set. I usually use this to break walls early-game, a lot of the 2-4 'mon defensive cores in NU struggle heavily once they lose a member, since there are so many ways to break stall this metagame, whether Knock Off / Hazard Spam and honestly there's no way any Stall can beat all the set-up Pokemon in this tier and they're all pretty common so I wouldn't advise using that honestly. But Balanced/Bulky Offense is getting very popular, and this set has really shined a bit more than I expected it to. Also one of the best Kanga switch-ins, obviously it can EQ but that's where ~~prediction~~ comes into play I guess, you can run some HP EVs to ensure that a 2hko isn't likely after 2 EQs but yeah.

Not much more to say on it tbh, break walls for other Pokemon in the tier and has a pretty decent surprise factor with Hydro/Beam/Hidden Power w.e, requires some Spin/Defog support obviously if you wanna keep Sturdy intact (I advise Healing Wish Mesprit / Memento Uxie if you're using this, but anything works obviously), early game is best to use it honestly. It's also nice bluffing AJet against things like Pyroar / Typhlosion but like I said before, ~~prediction~~

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Iron Head
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Fire Fang

Not mine, but I've seen it used successfully by few other players. Sheer Force Life Orb is a very standard combo to do a lot of damage without taking recoil. Rock Polish will catch people off guard when they're expecting a slower Steelix variant. After a Rock Polish boost, you outspeed normal Rotom, not scarf Rotom because i'm dumb and that obviously shouldn't have made any sense because SS Gorebyss gets outsped by Scarf Rotom. This means that you get outsped by a lot of other scarfers, but most of them actually can't OHKO Steelix. Steelix will tank physical hits without defensive investment, so it's very easy to set up with all the Steel-type resistance goodness.

Last edited:

Seaking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Scald/Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Drill Run

This set is pretty amazing, you might think Seaking doesn't have a very high attack stat and that's very true, but the point of this set is just it's sheer bulk.
Pure Water is already a great defensive typing physically, and it only has two weaknesses, Grass and Electric. Seaking's amazing ability makes it utterly immune to one of those. Seaking now has one weakness. One of the issues Seaking has is mediocre bulk. Assault Vest helps with that a lot, making it x1.5. This helps it stomach many heavy hitting special attackers. Another thing Seaking has is the element of surprise, people tend to forget Seaking has Lightning Rod and they just fire their Electric moves giving Seaking +1 SpA, pretty useless but it gives Seaking to cripple the opposing mon with Knock Off or potentially burning them with the ever-so haxy Scald. If you need an Electric-immune Water type who's not weak to ground and has pretty nice bulk, Seaking it is!

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Seaking @ Assault Vest
If you need an Electric-immune Water type who's not weak to ground and has pretty nice bulk, Seaking it is!
Look at my title. But really, if you need an electric immune water not weak to ground and has nice bulk, look no farther than seismitoad. Seismitoad's base stats are better than everything except for a tiny bit in special defense than seaking, but the much higher hp makes seismitoad more specially bulky. Seismitoad has the movepool to run a physical set similar to your set with ice punch/poison jab instead of megahorn to hit grass types. It also has a nice special movepool. Seismitoad has the defensive abilities to be a fast stealth rock pokemon that is a great matchup against a lot of typical leads. By being a ground type, seismitoad can run a different ability to give it whatever utility you need (water absorb for a good water check, swift swim for rain teams, poison touch for phyiscal sets i suppose). Yes it is 4X weak to grass moves, but usually with hp investment, hp grass from non grass types are generally not an OHKO anyways. Seaking is just too weak offensively without a life orb (which still does not hit that hard) and not that bulky defensively to utilize assault vest. I suppose the only seaking set that makes it somewhat stand out is an agility life orb set (though dd feraligatr hits much harder and gets plenty of speed after +1). I would highly recommend using seismitoad, feraligatr, or Samurott instead of seaking

Look at my title. But really, if you need an electric immune water not weak to ground and has nice bulk, look no farther than seismitoad. Seismitoad's base stats are better than everything except for a tiny bit in special defense than seaking, but the much higher hp makes seismitoad more specially bulky. Seismitoad has the movepool to run a physical set similar to your set with ice punch/poison jab instead of megahorn to hit grass types. It also has a nice special movepool. Seismitoad has the defensive abilities to be a fast stealth rock pokemon that is a great matchup against a lot of typical leads. By being a ground type, seismitoad can run a different ability to give it whatever utility you need (water absorb for a good water check, swift swim for rain teams, poison touch for phyiscal sets i suppose). Yes it is 4X weak to grass moves, but usually with hp investment, hp grass from non grass types are generally not an OHKO anyways. Seaking is just too weak offensively without a life orb (which still does not hit that hard) and not that bulky defensively to utilize assault vest. I suppose the only seaking set that makes it somewhat stand out is an agility life orb set (though dd feraligatr hits much harder and gets plenty of speed after +1). I would highly recommend using seismitoad, feraligatr, or Samurott instead of seaking
Well, first off, toad has much better things to do than run an av set, he works best as a stealth rock setter and cannot do that with av obviously. Also, Seaking has a bit of a stronger physical movepool than Seismitoad, Megahorn has a higher bp and he can run Waterfall unlike toad. You're probably thinking, well toad can run Scald to burn things, that's true but Seaking can switch in on thunder wave, get +1 and do decent damage with Scald. Without av toad has pretty unimpressive special bulk uninvested. Seaking has the superior special bulk with av, and toad just can't function with it as nicely, both of them having roughly the same attack stat (92 to 95) but toad misses out on a few things Seaking has. Toad does outclass it when running completely special though. The agility life orb set is just pathetic.

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain/Energy Ball
- Spikes
- Encore
- Final Gambit

So basically this set allows accelgor to cripple lead hazard setters a lot , either by hitting some of the most common and weak to grass
leads with Giga drain/Energy ball, 2HKOing them on the switch or encoring them in a setup move/hazard (shell smash/SR/SD,etc). This either lets you safely setup your own hazards after KOing them or force a switch and letting you setup on less threatening foes. Also, an unexpected Giga drain may allow you to go back to full health and make the best out of your Focus Sash but Energy ball can be used too for more power.

4 SpA Accelgor Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 272-324 (65.7 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Accelgor Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Golem: 308-364 (101.9 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Accelgor Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 276-328 (66.6 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Accelgor Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Seismitoad: 204-244 (49.2 - 58.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Accelgor Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kabutops: 292-344 (111.8 - 131.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Finally Final Gambit on the other hand allows accelgor to KO many of the other hazard stackers that resist his STAB avoid them stacking beside you and letting you bring one of your offensive mons untouched as well as avoiding the opponent to remove the hazards while doing some damage.

Final gambit kills Qwilfish, Crustle, Ferroseed,Uxie, Steelix, Garbodor, Probopass, Weezing, Camerupt and some others hazard setters you might want to KO before they get to stack hazards and avoid you sweepers/setup sweepers to come in unscathed.
The HP EVs are not 248 because without it accelgor misses some KOs with FG like Garbo.

I know it doesnt sound like Accelgors best set, but the unexpected giga drain on these mons (as well as pokemons like Gatr who try to come in and break the sash with priority) take a huge chunck of damage on the first turn giving you more chances to setup.

Guys...Thisbset actually works, if you don't think it does you a.) Havent tested it and are in a grouchy mood or b.)h8 fuken st00pif gimick omfl

The Rotter (Samurott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

OH MY JESUS HJAD! WHYU RUN SD ON A SPECIAL POKEMON!? UBAD PLAYA
Plz, this set is literally godly. The amount of physical walls you lure band nukebwith a life orb modest hydro pump is ridiculously funny, the hate you get on the ladder is also unreal (probably the main reason I reccomend this)

There is no doubt physical rotter is outclassed this gen. Both feraligatr and kabutops can do the same job easier with similar moves. However, there is still a small cult that like to believe that rott isn't totally outclassed in this regard which makes this set all the more deadly.

Let me put this scenario into your heads, you bring in your samurott on a rhydon, you set-up a swords dance as the opponent gets rocks, he then thinks "what do I have to take a +2 waterfall?"
He makes the appropriate switch into gourgeist
Nailed by ice beam, and ohkoed.
You now have created space for your own physical sweepers to reckon havock.

This set is a huge risk and gimmick, and its is surprisingly difficult to get an SD up without risking huge damage on samu itself.
But, this creates an alternate mind game on the opponent. Not everything is what they might end up looking like.

risk vs reward. Its your choice now

Guys...Thisbset actually works, if you don't think it does you a.) Havent tested it and are in a grouchy mood or b.)h8 fuken st00pif gimick omfl

Modest Nature
- Swords Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Plz, this set is literally godly. The amount of physical walls you lure band nukebwith a life orb modest hydro pump is ridiculously funny, the hate you get on the ladder is also unreal (probably the main reason I reccomend this)

There is no doubt physical rotter is outclassed this gen. Both feraligatr and kabutops can do the same job easier with similar moves. However, there is still a small cult that like to believe that rott isn't totally outclassed in this regard which makes this set all the more deadly.

Let me put this scenario into your heads, you bring in your samurott on a rhydon, you set-up a swords dance as the opponent gets rocks, he then thinks "what do I have to take a +2 waterfall?"

This set is a huge risk and gimmick, and its is surprisingly difficult to get an SD up without risking huge damage on samu itself.
But, this creates an alternate mind game on the opponent. Not everything is what they might end up looking like.

This is a god tier set plz put this on main analysis'

Modest Nature
- Swords Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

I'd use Waterfall and Ajet with Grass Knot/Ice Beam depending on what you want to get rid of. Since Feraligatr for example can beat Vileplume 1on1, it would appreciate getting Seismitoad removed a lot more and that's basically what a set like this is - Gatr support. All hail the king.

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Grass Knot / Ice Beam

Actually thought about this set yesterday and it's probably more effective overall in removing stuff and can actually clean up teams lategame with +2 ajets.

Cryogonal @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

One of the most popular ways to stop Cryogonal from spinning if running Rotom is (and was in BW2 RU) to Trick the Scarf into it/force it out with the threat of Trick.
This set stops that by removing the Choice Scarf on the switch and getting the 2HKO with Freeze dry. Life Orb is needed to guarantee the 2HKO without entry hazards (else you need Icicle Plate Ice Beam).
Knock Off doesn't stop to that as it can be used to remove useful items like Eviolite, Assault Vest, and Leftovers from Ferroseed, Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Probopass making them more easy to wear down. It can also be used to remove boosting items from Pokemon like Pyroar trying to come in on the Freeze Dry considerably weakening them.
Various Hidden Powers are more helpful a lot of the time and you also don't want to weaken Knock Offs from teammates like Liepard most of the time but this set is fun indeed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)