CAP 19 CAP 19 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just want to notify you people my most recent post back on page 5 is now my final sub, i know i didnt overhaul it and tbh i couldnt be bothered to make yet another concept to match it being fast n stuff so i'm just going to leave it as it is and hope for a vote somehow, hope the next cap is a much easier one for all of us and i wish everyone here the best of luck! :D some amazing designs from all of you

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

A cleaning sponge that was cruelly mistreated by a bored teenager with a penknife and now seeks vengeance against all mankind or at the very least one or two small children here and there. Because it is a sponge it can absorb water and it cannot fall asleep because it's a sponge. Obviously. The witch doctor who enchanted it also gave it the ability to command electricity, in addition to its natural poison abilities as it hasn't been cleaned in a while and still has bits of decaying pot noodle stuck to it. Why exactly it was given electrical powers is a mystery, but since it is yellow it probably isn't too much of a stretch. On account of the fact that it is in fact a sponge it has high offensive capabilities and agility but is lacking defensively, except where it isn't. It likes thunderstorms, injured cats and the songs of Vanilla Ice, but dislikes toy soldiers, all moving objects and the French.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Main Design

Supporting Material

Click the thumbnails to see the full pictures:
Action Pose

Animated progression of the design from sketch to finished art

Backstory:
This is a symbiote of two separate creatures, a Computer and an Acid Battery, who are joined together permanently, and rely on each other to survive. The computer creature is sightless, but provides locomotion, computation, and data storage. By itself, it has no power source, nor any ability to think subjectively. The acid-filled battery creature generates electrical power, and provides sight and subjective reasoning to the partnership. If separated from the computer, it will generate more and more electricity until it overloads. Unfortunately, the amount of data the computer provides is a bit too much for the battery's brain to comprehend, and it has been driven a little insane. So this pokemon is somewhat schizophrenic when making decisions.

The computer body is flat, with the yellow markings being advanced circuitry. The idea for the flat body started from me working with concepts of a computer motherboard. I've stylized it to be much less literal, but that's the origin of the idea. So assuming that the flat body is also flexible, it lends itself to some lithe, free-flowing movements. The fat acid battery glob is along for the ride, but controls all the movement of the symbiotic duo. The action pose shows that interaction a little better than the main design.

Typing:
Pretty obvious, I think. Acid Battery connotes Poison, Computer connotes Electric.

Abilities:
Storm Drain - Like most acid batteries, if you add water, it boosts its ability to make electricity.
Insomnia - Perfect, because this computer is on 24/7!

Stats:
Since this is a computer, it is extremely fast. The battery generates lots of power, for big special attacks.

As always, I had great fun making this design. The typing was a challenge to come up with a cohesive design, but once I got into it, I really enjoyed fleshing it out. I love several other designs in this thread and I'm looking forward to seeing which one we pick!

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

http://i.imgur.com/YRTtah7.png
A cleaning sponge that was cruelly mistreated by a bored teenager with a penknife and now seeks vengeance against all mankind or at the very least one or two small children here and there. Because it is a sponge it can absorb water and it cannot fall asleep because it's a sponge. Obviously. The witch doctor who enchanted it also gave it the ability to command electricity, in addition to its natural poison abilities as it hasn't been cleaned in a while and still has bits of decaying pot noodle stuck to it. Why exactly it was given electrical powers is a mystery, but since it is yellow it probably isn't too much of a stretch. On account of the fact that it is in fact a sponge it has high offensive capabilities and agility but is lacking defensively, except where it isn't. It likes thunderstorms, injured cats and the songs of Vanilla Ice, but dislikes toy soldiers, all moving objects and the French.
10 out of 5 would read again. Hopefully the artwork would make it be able to sponge hits better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

It's a sonar platypus! These monotremes have poisonous spurs, which will cause quite a commotion if you happen to pick it up. My design has spurs all over it, meaning it has numerous options of intoxicating its foes. Platypi also utilize electric pulses in the water to navigate themselves. Similarly, this Pokemon uses the electrical current generated by its bill and tail nets to guide itself through murky waters. It draws in water with its sheen of fur, which makes it a strong swimmer capable of adjusting its buoyancy, similar to Floatzel. As you can tell from its daunting pose, this Pokemon is a fierce competitor with a vital spirit that won't surrender. Its streamlined for speed and has a plethora of means for special attacks (electric webbing in claws / tail / spurs / netting), while maintaining a bit of beefiness in its coating to tank a few physical attacks when necessary.

My Supporting Art features a few ideas to spark some flavor interest. As a predator, it sticks its tail in the water and waits for passing prey. In this case, poor Finneon got an awful shock! By utilizing the electric current in their netting, this Pokemon can navigate the darkest and murkiest water. It can shoot shots of acid out of the spurs located across its back and tail, leaving enemies helpless. Finally, the webbing in its claws conducts electricity, making it to discharge any extra energy to zap an opponent.

Had a blast drawing this design. Best of luck to all the artists!

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Art submissions are now closed! Stay tuned for the polls.
Thanks so much to all our wonderful contributors and commenters! Every single contribution is invaluable to this project, we appreciate each of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)