Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of electrike, I wouldn't say it's "worthless" against the gym, it outspeeds both bunnleby and marill, ohkoing the latter. It also gets twave fairly early on, and we all know the value of a fast twave. It resists fletchy's a-ace, making it a pretty good swap in for him (WoW sucks, but w/e).

In case you were wondering about elec vs bunnel...

0 SpA level 20 Bunnelby mud shot vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Electrike: 18-22 (34.6 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk level 20 Electrike Spark vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bunnelby: 19-24 (37.2 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0- Atk level 20 Electrike Spark vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bunnelby: 18-22 (35.2 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk level 20 Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Electrike: 10-13 (19.2 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO

obviously, he steamrolls fletchy and marrill. Can't do anything to that defensive core (which I do think is slightly op, but w/e), but outspeeding and beating out the offensive core is enough reason for the player to at least consider it.

Anyway, if yall would like to start discussing a few trainers to add in as well there (lets aim for at least three) and i'll be adding this into the wrap up by tomorrow morning giving Chou Toshio time to get the next topic of discussion ready (ie what we must focus on for the next route).

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On the subject of electrike, I wouldn't say it's "worthless" against the gym, it outspeeds both bunnleby and marill, ohkoing the latter. It also gets twave fairly early on, and we all know the value of a fast twave. It resists fletchy's a-ace, making it a pretty good swap in for him (WoW sucks, but w/e).

In case you were wondering about elec vs bunnel...

0 SpA level 20 Bunnelby mud shot vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Electrike: 18-22 (34.6 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk level 20 Electrike Spark vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bunnelby: 19-24 (37.2 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0- Atk level 20 Electrike Spark vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bunnelby: 18-22 (35.2 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk level 20 Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Electrike: 10-13 (19.2 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO

obviously, he steamrolls fletchy and marrill. Can't do anything to that defensive core (which I do think is slightly op, but w/e), but outspeeding and beating out the offensive core is enough reason for the player to at least consider it.
No Marril on that team.

No Marril on that team.
Derp, that's right, marill got replaced with loudred...

with a 90 BP STAB...

off of base 71 SPA...

and a silk scarf....

Oh god that's gonna smart.

Calcs incoming

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Electrike: 42-49 (80.7 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk level 20 Electrike Spark vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Loudred: 18-22 (26 - 31.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Tangela: 42-49 (67.7 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Azumarill: 25-31 (32.8 - 40.7%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

0+ Atk Huge Power level 20 Azumarill Aqua Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Loudred: 57-67 (82.6 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Diggersby: 27-33 (38.5 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0+ Atk Huge Power level 20 Diggersby take down vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Loudred: 57-67 (82.6 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Timburr: 43-52 (65.1 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk level 20 Timburr Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Loudred: 50-60 (72.4 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(note that loudred outspeeds timburr)

So basically, loudred cannot swap into our best offensive threats, but nothing can swap into it either. Kinda just like every good offensive mon in the OU meta. Carry on I guess?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Derp, that's right, marill got replaced with loudred...

with a 90 BP STAB...

off of base 71 SPA...

and a silk scarf....

Oh god that's gonna smart.

Calcs incoming

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Electrike: 42-49 (80.7 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk level 20 Electrike Spark vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Loudred: 18-22 (26 - 31.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Tangela: 42-49 (67.7 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Azumarill: 25-31 (32.8 - 40.7%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

0+ Atk Huge Power level 20 Azumarill Aqua Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Loudred: 57-67 (82.6 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Diggersby: 27-33 (38.5 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0+ Atk Huge Power level 20 Diggersby take down vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Loudred: 57-67 (82.6 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Silk Scarf level 20 Loudred uproar vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD level 20 Timburr: 43-52 (65.1 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk level 20 Timburr Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def level 20 Loudred: 50-60 (72.4 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(note that loudred outspeeds timburr)

So basically, loudred cannot swap into our best offensive threats, but nothing can swap into it either. Kinda just like every good offensive mon in the OU meta. Carry on I guess?
Another reason why I put Ghastly in the abandoned warehouse.

The only things that can switch into Ghastly are Fletchingder and Gliger, the former having to worry about Stealth Rock and Venoshock, and neither particularly liking Night Shade, Hypnosis, or Lick. Both also become relatively easy to handle if they switch in on Taunt.

Wait, do we even have any Pokemon that can use SR available to the players? If not, we should probably put something like Drillbur or Aron in the abandoned warehouse to do something about that.

Last edited:

The only things that can switch into Ghastly are Fletchingder and Gliger, the former having to worry about Stealth Rock and Venoshock, and neither particularly liking Night Shade, Hypnosis, or Lick. Both also become relatively easy to handle if they switch in on Taunt.

Wait, do we even have any Pokemon that can use SR available to the players? If not, we should probably put something like Drillbur or Aron in the abandoned warehouse to do something about that.

I don't know if I could see Drillbur in there, but we got one the mighty Klutz Golem!

.........nah, lets go ahead and throw Aron an Drill in there. The Aron are eating the left over steel in the building while the moles ruin the building's foundation making it too expensive to build over. I'll get that written up tomorrow morning (would have today but farm work comes first).

Well, we do have Golett, right? But he's not OU viable and shouldn't be the player's main SR setter for very long at all. We might not need to add more SR setters now, but the sooner the better.

Also, because we have Golett, we should have an NPC at some point in the near future that won't let you move onto the next route if it's on your team.

Well, we do have Golett, right? But he's not OU viable and shouldn't be the player's main SR setter for very long at all. We might not need to add more SR setters now, but the sooner the better.

Also, because we have Golett, we should have an NPC at some point in the near future that won't let you move onto the next route if it's on your team.
I'm fine with it being the SR setter now. It has the bulk enough to act almost like a suicide setter and it will get some use before this as the crutch character to an extent. I don't think we should PREVENT a player from going anywhere with it on the team. We should just let the fact of it effectively becoming worthless as time goes on be the defining moment for rotating it out of the team. If we have in-game achievements this is the point where we decide that we should give the player an achievement for beating the Elite 4 and the Champion with it on the the team.

If we want a usable Stealth Rock setter from the beginning, then I'll say Aron might be better (Aron moved into the abandoned building to chow down on the steel inside)

Loudred has Scrappy; that's why Uproar is its only move. Will edit a trainer proposal in here shortly.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Loudred has Scrappy; that's why Uproar is its only move. Will edit a trainer proposal in here shortly.
Derp.

Yeah, definitely wanting Aron in the abandoned warehouse... We can put it at level 16-18. lol

Aron can also nicely help with Clefairy, and walls Chansey. Can't do jack shit to Gliger though.

Derp.

Yeah, definitely wanting Aron in the abandoned warehouse... We can put it at level 16-18. lol

Aron can also nicely help with Clefairy, and walls Chansey. Can't do jack shit to Gliger though.
That's fine, we're trying to avoid having gym leaders completely screwed over by one mon after all.

Trainer Proposal:

Mechanic Mac

Aron @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 18
EVs: 64 HP
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Metal Claw
- Headbutt

Electrike @ Magnet
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Snarl
- Thunder Wave

Marill
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail

Timburr @ Berry Juice
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Pound
- Low Kick
- Rock Throw

Intro: These dern moles ruinen mah builden AND mah team, I gots me a special mon from an earlier route to take care of these pests...

Loss: Dern it, looks lahk thers some other pests that ah need ta ahccount fer as well.

Talk to him afterwords: If ders a mon that gives yer team trouble, ya either need a plan ta play around it, a move ta beat it, or if the pests really gots ya beat, ya might needa entire mon ta beat it. Jus make sure tha mon's good for other things too!

I cheated a bit with electrike (seriously, looking at that thing's level up movepool you'd never guess it was a special attacker... gdi trollfreak), but it looks pretty balanced to me.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
that's good imo, but since elektrike(or w/e its name) will be introduced later(iirc magnemite replaced it rather than join it), we should make the player feel like "Spark! Where's the Volt Switch?!" after "Elektrike evolved to Lv.20! Elektrike wants to learn Spark, but it already has 4 moves.." and ragequit the game. Maybe replace it with magnemite here as well, but without Sonicboom.

that's good imo, but since elektrike(or w/e its name) will be introduced later(iirc magnemite replaced it rather than join it), we should make the player feel like "Spark! Where's the Volt Switch?!" after "Elektrike evolved to Lv.20! Elektrike wants to learn Spark, but it already has 4 moves.." and ragequit the game. Maybe replace it with magnemite here as well, but without Sonicboom.
There's no reason why we cannot introduce TM volt switch in a timely manner to avoid this. I mean, Aron has SR, which he doesn't pick up naturally, and volt switch isn't so overpowered of a move that it's gonna break Mac.

As for magnemite, I think an early magnemite might be a bit much both for the player and against the player. Not only is sonicboom amazing at low levels, but electric-steel is a giant pain in the rear to deal with at this point and mag's spa is already pretty friggen high. As far as in game pokemon go, magnemite is quite possibly one of the best of the best (not that this is saying much). It has bulk, great typing, very respectable offensive stats and a decent level up movepool.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
There's no reason why we cannot introduce TM volt switch in a timely manner to avoid this. I mean, Aron has SR, which he doesn't pick up naturally, and volt switch isn't so overpowered of a move that it's gonna break Mac.

As for magnemite, I think an early magnemite might be a bit much both for the player and against the player. Not only is sonicboom amazing at low levels, but electric-steel is a giant pain in the rear to deal with at this point and mag's spa is already pretty friggen high. As far as in game pokemon go, magnemite is quite possibly one of the best of the best (not that this is saying much). It has bulk, great typing, very respectable offensive stats and a decent level up movepool.
I did say no sonicboom. And the player has timburr and bunnelby. And since we're giving Protect at the gym, and venoshock and another move as tms(I forgot the name) I think this is enough new moves for a town this early

I did say no sonicboom. And the player has timburr and bunnelby. And since we're giving Protect at the gym, and venoshock and another move as tms(I forgot the name) I think this is enough new moves for a town this early
I am not sure what you mean by "no sonicboom". Do you mean we change mag's level up movepool to not include it, or did you mean just don't give the trainer's magnemite sonicboom? I dislike the former solution and the latter doesn't address the problem of mag being OP in the player's hands.

Also, when I said "reasonable time", I was not implying that volt switch needed to be introduced this town, but by the second or third gym would be entirely reasonable.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
by "no sonicboom", i meant not in the trainer's team. I'm not sure whether elektrike or magnemite was accepted, but either way changing movepools isn't something we'll do at all.
"reasonable time" isn't now, and till that time the trainer will be fed up with it.
OR,
if we go with eelktrike for the trainer, and want to retain the proposed set, maybe the trainer can tell the player how he improved his Pokemon by teaching them many TMs.

Chou Toshio, thank you for responding and clarifying with me about the way this game should be. But I have to be honest... I'm bummed out that there is a zero percent chance of turning this into a hack...

I mean, I knew it was always a pretty low chance and that we shouldn't take the game too seriously, but to find out it was never possible is heartbreaking.

On a side note, despite my four years of lurking before joining as a member, I was never once aware until now that we actually had ties to the pokemon company. Is that the reason why they changed drizzle and the like to five turns instead of perma-weather?

Well anyway, on the characters end, I've been very busy IRL and its about to get worse, so this'll be my last post for about a week. If no one has any qualms, I will proceed to coloring the characters since I am satisfied with V.2.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Chou Toshio, thank you for responding and clarifying with me about the way this game should be. But I have to be honest... I'm bummed out that there is a zero percent chance of turning this into a hack...

I mean, I knew it was always a pretty low chance and that we shouldn't take the game too seriously, but to find out it was never possible is heartbreaking.

On a side note, despite my four years of lurking before joining as a member, I was never once aware until now that we actually had ties to the pokemon company. Is that the reason why they changed drizzle and the like to five turns instead of perma-weather?

Well anyway, on the characters end, I've been very busy IRL and its about to get worse, so this'll be my last post for about a week. If no one has any qualms, I will proceed to coloring the characters since I am satisfied with V.2.
I didn't say there was a zero chance, but it won't be done in official association with Snogon/this thread, but by independent developers for their own fun/by their own interpretation (all content here is free for use).

Will update OP with town, summarize underground passage, and post next route info shortly.

BTW, should next route be north or west?

My gut says west, as it seems too early for a sea route.

I didn't say there was a zero chance, but it won't be done in official association with Snogon/this thread, but by independent developers for their own fun/by their own interpretation (all content here is free for use).

Will update OP with town, summarize underground passage, and post next route info shortly.

BTW, should next route be north or west?

My gut says west, as it seems too early for a sea route.

And I'd like to be fighting less water type pokemon really as we sorta just had a beachy route before the forest.

In that case I'll pitch into this project with an NPC proposal.
Policeman NPC blocking the route north. If you try to go north he steps in front of you and says "Sorry, this area is off-limits due to a reported Team Lucksack incident. Please come back later when we've cleared it up."
I think we can be a liiittle more specific then that. Maybe say something like "A telephone poll got knocked over in the recent incident, making this route unsafe for everyone! Those lucksack maggots are gonna pay for this...."

I think we can be a liiittle more specific then that. Maybe say something like "A telephone poll got knocked over in the recent incident, making this route unsafe for everyone! Those lucksack maggots are gonna pay for this...."
To be fair, if you were traveling and you saw a police blockade and you asked why it were there, you'd probably get "nothing to see here, move along." So what we're getting is pretty good!

To be fair, we're already making fun of ourselves, why don't we break the fourth wall a bit and have, instead of an officer, a guy on all sorts of drugs blocking us from going past him by saying, "Yo, the plot fairies were just talking to me. They told me that I must block you and only you from accessing this route for the time being. They told me that they didn't plan for you to come back here until much later in the game. What kind of game do you think they were talking about?"

To be fair, we're already making fun of ourselves, why don't we break the fourth wall a bit and have, instead of an officer, a guy on all sorts of drugs blocking us from going past him by saying, "Yo, the plot fairies were just talking to me. They told me that I must block you and only you from accessing this route for the time being. They told me that they didn't plan for you to come back here until much later in the game. What kind of game do you think they were talking about?"
Idk, seems a little on the nose even for us at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)