Volbeat @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold/Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe or 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
-Thunder Wave
-Substitute
-Baton pass
-Tail Glow/Confuse Ray

The only reason volbeat is ever used is for its ability, prankster. This, with the combination of baton pass, has the possibility of providing deadly support to its teammates. Thunder wave helps to slow down threats that would outspeed and kill all of its teammates, and substitute is very helpful to ensure a successful baton pass. In conjunction with t-wave and confuse ray, passing a sub will often provide enough opportunities for a teammate to set up and sweep everything. On the other hand, tail glow can be used instead of confuse ray to boost the power of scarfed special pokemon tremendously (although the only reason they would be scarved is because they would be expecting a tail glow pass). With the confuse ray set, I have often been able to easily create opportunities for mega pinsir or volcarona to set up behind a sub. However, although volbeat's support capabilities are insane and can often decide the fate of a game, it is held back by its bland typing, terrible stats, four moveslot syndrome, and inability to do anything else. Its typing leaves it susceptible to many of bug's weaknesses, and does nothing to help it defensively (and support should be defensive). Its stats don't really help it to actually survive attacks either; if it can't survive, it can't support, so it relies on substitute + t-wave and possibly confuse ray stall the opponent. (Although the speed does help against sableye and klefki.) While it does get roost, thanks to its four moveslot syndrome, it is unable to run roost and provide the needed support at the same time. Finally, thanks to its stats, it has 0 offensive capability, and centers its play solely on baton passing to a teammate. In some matches where it gets no opportunity to play, this makes it completely dead weight. In addition, there are many times it gets no opportunity, such as if the opponent itself has substitute and setup, or if the opponent has taunt. I wasn't able to decide between C and D rank, but I decided the cons were enough to warrant a D rank.
(Sorry if this is hard to read; I feel kind of sick right now.)

Also, why is spinarak D-rank when it is completely outclassed by ariados? E-rank feels like a better fit.
Seriously don't know, I guess I ran out of random bug Pokemon with Sticky Web :[

I don't think we should list outclassed NFE's, like Swadloon and Spinarak, rather then putting them in E.

How about 50s?

My final words are that Slaking is marred by some fatal flaws, burn, Giga Impact Trapping, and Truant, but the entire point of Slaking's set that I made was to fodder something like a Smeargle, send it in with a 140 Power STAB Retaliate, and then escape into something that can either A.) Serve as a Cleric. B.) Ditto. Or C.) Lower Stats (I.E. Staraptor). The only reason I have Giga Impact on the set at all is for when Slaking has no other choice, or when the move is convenient, I.E. Against the last Pokemon, Slaking IS the Last Pokemon, ect.

Therefore, after taking in the opinions and points of the other debaters, I am willing to lower my original Goal of A Rank Slaking to:

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are good but they need support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon are used to check your counters once or twice, meaning that it cannot switch in and out repeatedly (Both Defensive and Offensive). Defensive Pokemon of this rank are Pokemon in this rank can have a positive type match up sometimes, but they may be useless in others. These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.
B- Rank.
You put up a good fight lol. I'm neutral so I'll let Falls and Cast decide. When do I get those 50s?

I don't think we should list outclassed NFE's, like Swadloon and Spinarak, rather then putting them in E.
I'm putting everything I get down, I'll let the community decide what stays by debating

Imma go to sleep, so any changes will be added tomorrow. Feel free to reserve more stuff, but check if it's already taken since I won't be there to tell you that it's already taken :p
/me looks at Croven and All Falls Down

Last edited:
So, guys. Wobbuffet. I thought Wynaut when deciding to do reserve it, so here I am. Being really awkward. Just like Wobbuffet is.

Wobbuffet has been deemed unworthy by the Monotyke and shall get D Rank!

Chao Mein(Wobbuffet)(M)@Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP, 228 Def, 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
-Counter
-Mirror Coat
-Encore
-Safeguard/Destiny Bond

Wobbuffet is a gimmick. It can really only run this set. Everyone knows what it can do. Therefore, everyone probably has a way of dealing with Wobbuffet. Safeguard protects it from status ailments at least. Shadow Tag is a cool ability. Taunt makes Wobbuffet Struggle. Honestly, there's not much to say. In Monotype, Wobbuffet is even worse since Ghost can take advantage of the fact that they're immune to Counter. There's such thing as switching out, but if a Pokemon stays in the back the entire time, what's the point in using up a slot on a thing that doesn't do anything. Bless my kind heart that Wobbuffet doesn't get E rank.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay...here we go.

For Mono Ghost...

Mega Banette for C Rank

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Protect / Will-O-Wisp

Mega Banette is alright. It has Prankster, which is quite good, and it has cool tools in its arsenal like Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Destiny Bond. This, along with a ridiculous 165 Attack with tools like Phantom Force, Sucker Punch, and Knock Off, it's a decent stallbreaker as well as a panic button. It can spread burns and be annoying and disruptive while it can get a free kill. Mega Banette also hits hard so it's not passive at all. However, it's pretty hard to use because its base form is both frail and slow, and Prankster doesn't activate on the first turn, which kind of limits its use. It also has no recovery, unlike Sableye, so it's easy to wear down, and unlike Sableye, Mega Banette is weak to Knock Off, so Mega Banette is overall not as effective as Sableye. It's workable though, but it needs good playing to do well.

Golurk for B Rank

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

Golurk brings a few good niches to a Mono Ghost team: It is the only Ghost-type that can set up Stealth Rock, and it is a physical Ghost-type, something it shares only with Dusknoir, Mega Banette, and lol Shedinja (oh and I guess Trevenant and Aegislash). It sets up Stealth Rock decently well, and has a nice set of resistances and decent bulk to do so. It also packs a solid punch with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, and Ice Punch, so it puts some nice dents in the opponent's team. Being a strong Pokemon is nice and Golurk can also take on special walls that trouble it. It can run a Choice Band set decently well too, and it has a nice movepool to use. It's pretty slow though and has a lot of exploitable weaknesses. Overall though it's a nice physical attacker and Stealth Rock setter for Mono Ghost teams, the latter being especially important.

As for Mono Dragon:

Goodra for B Rank

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Muddy Water

Goodra is quite a nice Dragon-type Pokemon. Unlike the rest of its brethren though, Goodra's strength lies in its special bulk, which allows it to stomp on Mono Water, Mono Electric, and Mono Grass teams (And I guess Mono Fire). It has a wide offensive movepool, and in tandem with Assault Vest, it can use its two qualities excellently. Goodra can use a strong Draco Meteor to sting things like Thundurus, while Sludge Bomb gives it a chance against Fairy teams and the occasional Togekiss or Azumarill on the occasional Mono Flying or Mono Water team, respectively. Fire Blast is awesome to hit Steel-types. With all kinds of coverage, Goodra can excel as an offensive tank with an Assault Vest in tow. Gooey and Sap Sipper are both awesome abilities in their own right too. Overall a fine special tank, only problem is it has a bit of competition from the Latis and has no recovery, but it's a very good Pokemon nonetheless.

Salamence for A Rank

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw / Iron Tail

Salamence is great on a Mono Dragon team. Even though it's relatively subpar in standard, in Monotype it's quite a good Dragon. Its Scarf Moxie set is a great revenge killer and late game cleaner, being able to use a strong Outrage to revenge kill a lot of Pokemon and be able to sweep with the Moxie snowball, as it only gets stronger with each kill. Salamence is quite good at this, and also has Earthquake and Fire Blast to deal with Steel-types, and Iron Tail could be used to hit Togekiss, Sylveon, and Clefable if they pose a problem. It's a very good late game cleaner. In addition, it can also run a mixed attacker set and a Dragon Dance set, but the Scarf set is really good and is an outstanding addition to any Mono Dragon team.

Will try to do Togekiss tomorrow.

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Time to rank some antimeta Grass mons:

Roserade (Grass) for B rank

Roserade @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball/Sleep Powder/Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball
- Extrasensory

Basically Roserade is your best friend against Fire monos. With access to Technician, it's Hidden Power Rock destroys Mega Charizard Y when combined with a Scarf.

252 SpA Technician Roserade Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 340-404 (114.4 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Grabbing an OHKO on the biggest threat to the team isn't bad at all. The rest of the moves are just there since Roserade kind of lacks coverage besides Hidden Power that really add anything. Scarf Sleep Powder is also really convenient since most people get taken surprise by really fast sleep. Scarf Powder basically makes the switch fair game since most likely both people will switch, taking away momentum from both players which grass could really use since it's usually on the disadvantageous side in the first place. Really good Choice Scarf user for Grass for both its antimeta strat and the fact it has a high special attack so it's not just a dead weight to the team.

Other options: It runs a really nice LO set with Natural Cure and Rest as a side option underneath that. While Celebi is the better Natural Cure user, Roserade still hits harder so there's always that to consider.

Ludicolo (Grass) B rank

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam/Focus Blast

While I'd never run a SS water team in Monotype, Ludicolo does provide a nice niche of Rain sweeper on a Grass team. Once it sets up Rain, fire moves are severely weakened which greatly supports the rest of the team, and you have one of the fastest Pokemon in the meta. Surf/Hydro Pump takes care of pesky fire types, and the other two moves round out its coverage.

Things to note: if a Charizard switches in and tries to Mega Evolve and get a Drought up, you can always use Rain Dance again to nullify it immediately. This leaves Mega Charizard Y vulnerable and lets Ludicolo basically get a free kill on any one member of a Fire Mono. Also Rain Dance can be used to negate Hail from Abomasnow since Ice monos would love to spam that Blizzard against you. This is why Focus Blast is a slash since if you need to take care of some Ice monos you got this in reserve.

So yeah I believe Ludicolo and Roserade are worthy of B rank for their antimeta niches that help Grass. They're not central mons or the greatest supporters so I don't think they fit A rank, but they're too good to be C rank.

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are good but they need support (which may be hard to give) for them to function... These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Exploud (Normal) for B Rank

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Surf
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are good but they need support (which may be hard to give) for them to function... These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.

Exploud cannot fit the description of a B rank pokemon more perfectly. Last generation Exploud probably would have been D rank, but this generation, it got an incredible buff. A 140 base power STAB sound-based move called Boomburst. This move coupled with its hidden ability, Scrappy, can hit anything for some serious damage barring Rock types, Steel types, and the pink blobs (Chansey/Blissey/Porygon2). Even Ghost types and substitute users aren't safe from it!
Specs is really the only item Exploud ever uses, just because who wouldn't want that much power? Its other moves are just to hit the pokemon that can tank Boomburst well. Surf for rock types, a fire move for steel types, and Focus Blast for the few rock and steel types that aren't hit super effectively by water or fire moves (specifically Cradily, Omastar, Kabutops, Empoleon, etc). Its defenses are 104/63/73, so it's not gonna take many hits, but the high HP stat allows it to take one or two if necessary.
As the description of B Rank states, these pokemon need support to function, but the support may be hard to give. This could not be more perfectly tailored to Exploud's situation. Exploud isn't fast and it isn't incredibly bulky, so it really benefits from Sticky Web support. The thing is, Smeargle is the only way of providing this on a Normal team, so Sticky Web support can be a little difficult to get.
Basically Exploud hits incredibly hard, but it does need support in order to be of much use.

Tyranitar (Rock) for S Rank

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 124 HP / 120 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Pursuit

Stone Edge and Crunch are simply as great STAB attacks, although the former has annoyingly low accuracy. Crunch helps with a few Ghost- and Psychic-types and acts as the reliable STAB attack. Fire Blast lets Tyranitar 2HKO several bulky Steel-types like Ferrothorn or Skarmory, and Ice Beam has a good chance to OHKO Landorus and Landorus-T (you can take a hit from Landorus, but you can only hit Landorus-T with Ice Beam on the switch). Pursuit is nice filler for the last slot, and it really helps if you need to remove a defogger to allow Shuckle to set hazards without fear of losing them or remove a fast Choice Scarf Pokemon like Latios or Chandelure. The Attack EVs let it 2HKO Slowbro after Stealth Rock, the Speed EVs speed creep Aegislash, the Special Defense EVs make sure that you get the most out of Assault Vest, and the rest was dumped into HP for overall bulk.

Although Tyranitar has a really clunky typing on Rock, it forms a nice glue for lots of teams. It owes that quality to its ability, Sand Stream, which, when used in tandem with an Assault Vest, lets it survive absurdly powerful special attacks. This lets it operate as a nice switch in to several special attackers, despite being weak to lots of types. While in the sand, other teammates also get the Special Defense boost, so they can play a little more recklessly. Sandstorm also will break Focus Sashes from Breloom, Infernape, Galvantula, etc, which is really crucial for a few Rock-type sweepers.

Support Tyranitar with physically defensive Pokemon, or allow it to support strong sweepers with Pursuit or by providing sand to let them set up comfortably. Tyranitar will be a force to be reckoned with in almost all matchups, either providing sandstorm to support the team, taking on almost any special attacker, or trapping certain threats.
Nominating Tyranitar (Rock) for S Rank.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Crunch/Ice Beam/Pursuit
- Fire Blast

A Staple of Monotype Rock, Tyranitar is able to support the rock team as a whole, check threats that rock teams would otherwise have problems with, and run a large variety of viable sets. With a combination of 135/95 offenses, reliable STABs, and insane movepool, Tyranitar can equip himself to take on several defensive threats, such as Skarmory, Slowbro, and Mandibuzz, all major threats for Rock. Also, although it may not be able to switch-in to each of these, Tyranitar could also opt to use Fire Blast or Ice beam to hit other major threats like Gliscor, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Scizor.

However, Tyranitar may also support with his extremely rare ability, Sand Stream. This is just an AMAZING ability for Tyranitar. Providing a 1.5x boost to his special defense and his rocky teammates for five turns (unless you use smooth rock), the team can take on a plethora of special attackers. This is very useful to the team, as many members lack reliable recovery, struggle with the weaknesses that rock brings, and simply need the support that the sand brings. In particular, however, Tyranitar can take on several special threats under sand, especially when sporting a snazzy assault vest. Greninja, Volcarona, Thundurus, Landorus, general water types (provided no scald burns), among many others. This is useful for stopping a dangerous set-up sweeper before it gets out of hand, like CM Jirachi, +1 Gardevoir-Mega, Quiver Dance Volcarona, and +2 Shell Smash Omastar, since the bulk that sand provides allows it to avoid an OHKO if no hazards are up, and retaliate with the appropriate coverage. Finally, Sand Steam also provides the often-forgotten residual damage on non-rock, steel, and ground types. This is useful for stopping sash leads, breaking breloom's sash which is a HUGE plus.

However, Tyranitar has his fair share of flaws. A common flaw with Rock types is the vulnerability to common attacking types, and priority in particular (Bullet punch, aqua jet, mach punch, vacuum wave, and Sylveon quick attack.) This problem is somewhat alleviated through sand stream, but is still a problem for Tyranitar. Rock/Dark typing also has a glaring weakness to fighting and ground. Along with his typing, Tyranitar is also crippled by his mediocre speed stat. Outsped by Scizor, Skarmory (Which isn't always a bad thing), Landorus-T, and many others, Tyranitar often finds himself taking a hit before being able to react. This contributes to my final point. Another flaw that Tyranitar has is the lack of reliable recovery. Sure, he can take on Greninja, Omastar, Volcarona, and other threats, but at that point, Tyranitar can be easily revenged by the opponent. In order to counter some of the threats listed above, the user needs to preserve him throughout the battle. This can prove to be a challenge due to Tyranitar's vulnerability to all entry hazards and the team's general reliance on Tyranitar to counter other Mons throughout the battle.

+2 252 SpA Omastar Surf vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 236-282 (58.5 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 336-396 (83.3 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 174-211 (43.1 - 52.3%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 291-348 (72.2 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 203-242 (50.3 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 300-354 (74.4 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

On the other hand...

4 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 300-356 (94 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 204-240 (61 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 276-328 (80.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In conclusion, Tyranitar is a truly indispensible member for any rock team, and, provided with the right support, allow Rock teams to overcome many flaws that the type is faced with overall. Also Tyranitar looks pretty badass.

Last edited:
Scrafty[Fighting] for A Rank

Thug(Scrafty)(M)@Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpDef
Careful Nature
-Bulk Up/Dragon Dance
-Rest
-Crunch
-Drain Punch

Scrafty is a very bulky Pokemon.On Fighting, just like Cradily, takes care of one of Fighting's biggest weaknesses: Psychic. Scrafty is immune to Psychic, so switch in on a Psychic move, and start setting up. Bulk Up set makes Scrafty a lot like Crocune, except it can wake up by chance a bit of the time. Shed Skin is very important since it means it can take Will-O-Wisps that Fighting types often get. Honestly, I think that you should run the Bulk Up set because Fighting lacks a lot of defense. Scrafty also resists those pesky Ghost types' STABs which is good.
Now, for the bad things. Obviously, there's the Fairy type. Scrafty can't take anything from them. They also wall it, so yeah. Scrafty's screwed against Fairies. Also, Scrafty's slow. Unless you're using the Dragon Dance set. Really both the Dragon Dance set and the Bulk Up set has its perks. However, you'll run into problems when using either set.
Conclusion is that Scrafty might not do much for Fighting against Fairies, but it's quite a need if you want to get rid of Psychic types.

Malamar (type dosen't matter) for E rank

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower
- Knock off

Tank malamar serves as a status absorber, and tries to grow as much physical bulk as possible to complement it's fullly specially defensive spread, although stronger wallbreakers, including most specs pokemon, don't have problems breaking it.

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off
- Switcheroo / Destiny Bond.

Due to taking both types neutrally, should malamar get a chance to use superpower, it's defense boost will give it extra padding against both the knock off that psychic teams hate or the fighing attacks that dark teams fear, although a pokemon with boosts under it's belt or a decent item can still break it, assuming they live. Switheroo gives up malamar's (often non existant) chance at sweeping to cripple one of the many things that wall it, although just as many walls are among them. Destiny Bond trades with opponent's who will always be using a more valuable member of the team than you. Can't handle any dragon dancer worth mentioning, or any scarf pokemon other than base 58-70 mons trying to be cute by 1upping pokemon like timid latias.

Malamar @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off

Malamar's ability to set trick room is probbably dependent on whittling opponet's down to the point that they have to switch out on it bluffling scarf sets, which does miss serveral OHKOs with not only SE superpower, but even it's stab attacks against even semi bulky mons tend to let down.

Malamar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Night Slash
- Topsy Turvy

Fast*cough* bulky *louder cough* malamar is an ultimate check to most bulky calm mind pokemon belonging to the crocune family, but is more than happy to just beat out completely uninvested base 115 things and those below, like mega latias, who has been known to pull out a 252bold cm/roost/stab/coverage set to abuse it's already good bulk. Taunt allows Malamar to lead against favorable things like stallbreaker mew, as well as prevent things from healing and switching to another wall. Nightslash is preferred due to keeping full damage on things that won't die in less than 3 hits and for the singular mega target, as well as insuring full damage on a superior mega gallade or dark type in the wings who also carry the move. Topsy Turvy goes through magic bounce and magic coat and turns any +1 boosts into -1 and so on.

Malamar in fact owns a wide support movepool in Taunt, trick room, dual screen, weather, switcheroo, but It's defenses, speed, offenses, and above all, uniqueness is absolutely pitiful. The idea of this set is to use his ability to attack and cast bulk up at once with superpower. Sadly he doesn't even get stab on that, and has no priorty for his newfound "bulk" which the majority of physical attackers laugh at. As a bonus his typing makes the common U-turn instantly lethal to him up to +2 defense. He also has access to the infiltrator ability, but he certainly can't kill any sub user, or even give it a status worth thinking about. If you see this in any ladder, delete your account and start with fresh ELO.

Last edited:

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay...here we go.

For Mono Ghost...

Mega Banette for C Rank

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Protect / Will-O-Wisp

Mega Banette is alright. It has Prankster, which is quite good, and it has cool tools in its arsenal like Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Destiny Bond. This, along with a ridiculous 165 Attack with tools like Phantom Force, Sucker Punch, and Knock Off, it's a decent stallbreaker as well as a panic button. It can spread burns and be annoying and disruptive while it can get a free kill. Mega Banette also hits hard so it's not passive at all. However, it's pretty hard to use because its base form is both frail and slow, and Prankster doesn't activate on the first turn, which kind of limits its use. It also has no recovery, unlike Sableye, so it's easy to wear down, and unlike Sableye, Mega Banette is weak to Knock Off, so Mega Banette is overall not as effective as Sableye. It's workable though, but it needs good playing to do well.

Golurk for B Rank

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

Golurk brings a few good niches to a Mono Ghost team: It is the only Ghost-type that can set up Stealth Rock, and it is a physical Ghost-type, something it shares only with Dusknoir, Mega Banette, and lol Shedinja (oh and I guess Trevenant and Aegislash). It sets up Stealth Rock decently well, and has a nice set of resistances and decent bulk to do so. It also packs a solid punch with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, and Ice Punch, so it puts some nice dents in the opponent's team. Being a strong Pokemon is nice and Golurk can also take on special walls that trouble it. It can run a Choice Band set decently well too, and it has a nice movepool to use. It's pretty slow though and has a lot of exploitable weaknesses. Overall though it's a nice physical attacker and Stealth Rock setter for Mono Ghost teams, the latter being especially important.

As for Mono Dragon:

Goodra for B Rank

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Muddy Water

Goodra is quite a nice Dragon-type Pokemon. Unlike the rest of its brethren though, Goodra's strength lies in its special bulk, which allows it to stomp on Mono Water, Mono Electric, and Mono Grass teams (And I guess Mono Fire). It has a wide offensive movepool, and in tandem with Assault Vest, it can use its two qualities excellently. Goodra can use a strong Draco Meteor to sting things like Thundurus, while Sludge Bomb gives it a chance against Fairy teams and the occasional Togekiss or Azumarill on the occasional Mono Flying or Mono Water team, respectively. Fire Blast is awesome to hit Steel-types. With all kinds of coverage, Goodra can excel as an offensive tank with an Assault Vest in tow. Gooey and Sap Sipper are both awesome abilities in their own right too. Overall a fine special tank, only problem is it has a bit of competition from the Latis and has no recovery, but it's a very good Pokemon nonetheless.

Salamence for A Rank

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw / Iron Tail

Salamence is great on a Mono Dragon team. Even though it's relatively subpar in standard, in Monotype it's quite a good Dragon. Its Scarf Moxie set is a great revenge killer and late game cleaner, being able to use a strong Outrage to revenge kill a lot of Pokemon and be able to sweep with the Moxie snowball, as it only gets stronger with each kill. Salamence is quite good at this, and also has Earthquake and Fire Blast to deal with Steel-types, and Iron Tail could be used to hit Togekiss, Sylveon, and Clefable if they pose a problem. It's a very good late game cleaner. In addition, it can also run a mixed attacker set and a Dragon Dance set, but the Scarf set is really good and is an outstanding addition to any Mono Dragon team.

Will try to do Togekiss tomorrow.
I agree with all the rankings, but some of the explanations could be expanded upon. After all, one of the deciding factors for rankings is versatility.

One of Golurk's main niches is access to No Guard, meaning it can run moves such as Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge w/o worrying about misses. An example set might be:

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

I agree AV is Goodra's "best" set, but the suggested moves should at the least have BoltBeam coverage slashed. In the description its also worth mentioning a Hydration+Rain Dance set could be used to support a rain Dragon team:

Goodra @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Toxic
- Thunder/Protect/Draco Meteor

Finally, Salamence's versatility/unpredictability are what allow it to achieve an A ranking. MixMence and DDance sets are sort of thrown in as an after thought to scarf+Moxie when they are easily just as viable. Also, Intimidate is an excellent ability, yet it gets no mention whatsoever.

Acast

Malamar (type dosen't matter) for E rank

Malamar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Malamar in fact owns a wide support movepool in Taunt, trick room, dual screen, weather, switcheroo, but It's defenses, speed, offenses, and above all, uniqueness is absolutely pitiful. The idea of this set is to use his ability to attack and cast bulk up at once with superpower. Sadly he doesn't even get stab on that, and has no priorty for his newfound "bulk" which the majority of physical attackers laugh at. As a bonus his typing makes the common U-turn instantly lethal to him up to +2 defense. He also has access to the infiltrator ability, but he certainly can't kill any sub user, or even give it a status worth thinking about. If you see this in any ladder, delete your account and start with fresh ELO.
um...no. Just no. I have to admit, I'm of the opinion that Malamar gets more attention than it deserves, but E rank is just ridiculous. E is reserved for pokemon that are completely useless in the metagame and should never be considered when building a team unless it's a joke team. Malamar is far from useless, and you didn't even mention either of its best sets.

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Rock Slide

Malamar @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash

Not to mention it gets some support options with Reflect and Light Screen, and it can even use one of the most gimmicky, yet surprisingly useful moves in the game, Topsy-Turvy. I'm not saying Malamar is good, nor am I saying that I'll ever use it unless I decide to get adventurous, but Malamar is still solidly C rank in my opinion. Therefore, nominating Malamar (both Psychic and Dark) for C Rank

Tentacruel (Water) for A Rank

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

Tentacruel is a great asset to have on Mono-Water. Base 120 Special Defense plus Liquid Ooze as well as a Grass neutrality allow it to switch safely into one of Mono-Water's biggest threats-- Mega-Venusaur. It provides invaluable utility in laying down Toxic Spikes to rack up passive damage, spinning away hazards, and forcing switches or hampering certain boosting Pokemon (such as Calm Mind Clefable, Giga Drain Volcarona, and CroCune) with Acid Spray. Additionally, it can break down the opponent's Special Defense for a powerful sweeper to come in and take out problematic walls. While Tentacruel has many different other options that add to its utility, the one that will provide the most use is Knock Off.

This set is tailored to provide the most special bulk possible while outspeeding Jolly max Speed Breloom by 1 point (note that this is only to serve as a back-up to finish off a weakened Breloom). If outspeeding Breloom isn't an issue, running max HP and Special Defense is the way to go.

0 SpA Tentacruel Acid Spray vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 110-132 (42.1 - 50.5%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO < don't rely on Tentacruel to take out Breloom!

Tentacruel has many positive match-ups (i.e. Fairy, Water, Fire, Grass), but one will find it to be of much less use against certain teams. Toxic Spikes have no effect on Flying teams, and most of these have Pokemon that can hit Tentacruel super-effectively, such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Gyarados. Tentacruel is in the same boat against Steel teams, with Steel being immune to Poison, and Excadrill, Ferrothorn, and Earth Power Heatran walling/threatening the jellyfish. Ground teams as well pose a threat to Tentacruel, as most of their Pokemon outspeed and hit Tentacruel hard with STAB Earthquakes and Earth Powers, while Tentacruel cannot OHKO any of them, having no Special Attack investment. Fortunately, Mono-Water is such a versatile type that one can build the team to benefit from and support Tentacruel accordingly.

0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Tentacruel: 67-79 (18.4 - 21.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Tentacruel: 105-124 (28.8 - 34%) -- 99.4% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Tentacruel: 95-113 (26 - 31%) -- 6.9% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Aurorus (Rock) for C Rank.

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Fire / Dark Pulse

The set is fairly self-explanatory. Hyper Voice is fantastic STAB, Freeze-Dry hits bulky Water-types, Earth Power crushes Steel-types that resist Ice. Hidden Power Fire nails Ferrothorn or Scizor on the switch, but you probably won't be using it that much TBH, so Dark Pulse is also nice for helping break both Mew and Slowbro.

Aurorus really doesn't have a whole lot going for it in Rock, but it is unique enough to carve out a decent enough niche as a great special wallbreaker with access to Ice STAB, including the rare Freeze-Dry. This allows it to break several physical walls like Skarmory, Hippowdon, etc which get in the way of the majority of Rock types.

Aurorus' main flaw is how it requires a significant amount of support to really be effective in a match. Sure, it has Freeze-Dry, but lots of fast Water-types can simply revenge kill it with ease, leaving the Rock user in a bad spot. It has possibly the WORST defensive typing in the game, as it is weak to some of the most common types. This necessitates providing Aurorus with free switches to deal with the likes of Iron Head Skarmory, Hippowdon, and other physical walls. You absolutely need to play smart with Aurorus since it can either make or break a match depending on how and when you get it in the match. Sticky Web and Stealth Rock really are important for helping wallbreak, outspeed slightly faster Pokemon, break Skarmory's Sturdy beforehand, etc. Alternatively, Trick Room and Tailwind are also great ways to support Aurorus.
Nominating Aurorus (Rock) for C Rank.

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nature Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Fire
Ok ok, this post might seem like a joke, but I'm entirely serious. Although Aurorus is often useless in OU, UU, RU, or even NU, in Monotype, Aurorus truly shines in Rock Monotype. Aurorus is a unique pokemon that, due to its unique qualities, can fill a niche that very few rock types, if any, can fill. Before I go on, I should probably explain my moveset. Even with a speed stat of 58, Timid Scarf is able to outrun many threats to rock monotypes, mostly Ground, Dragon, Water, and Grass types. I'm pretty bad with EV's, but with a Timid Scarf, i believe Aurorus is able to reach a speed stat of 354, outspeeding fully invested Pokemon with a speed stat of 110. This allows it to get key OHKO's on Gliscor, Garchomp (Mega), Landorus-T, Zygarde, Tangrowth, Swampert, Kingdra, and Ludicolo with a combination of Freeze Dry and Hyper Voice. Earth Power nails Pokemon that resist Ice STAB, and the final slot is mainly used for extra coverage, depending on what you want to hit. Because of this, Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Steel types, and Psychic can be used to nail certain fighting types.

It is notable that Rock has a grand total of 4 other viable Rock special attackers (Omastar, Diancie, Cradily, and Mixed Tyranitar), none of which can consistently threaten the aforesaid Pokemon, due to needing to rely on a sash, being threatened by a faster super effective STAB, having considerably weaker ice beams, and lacking Freeze Dry. With Aurorus, Rock Monotype finally has an answer for some of its major threats. Also, due to the sheer surprise factor, your opponent will often leave a Landorus, Garchomp, Charizard-Y, Swampert, Kingdra, or whatnot in battle, expecting to OHKO, only to fall victim to Aurorus' frosty fierceness. Rock Monotype also welcomes any possible Special attackers, as it finds itself struggling against physical walls, such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz.

Aurorus, just like in standard tiers, does have many flaws which hold it back from being in higher ranks. Ice/Rock is probably one of the worst defensive typings you could ask for. Weak to common priority (Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, Aqua Jet), compounds Rock's vulnerability to Fighting Monotypes, and also dreads steel types, just like any other rock type. The ice typing also makes it weak to Stealth Rock, and, since Rock has zero wish passers, Aurorus can only switch out so much, a difficult situation for a scarfer. These weaknesses often make Aurorus almost useless against Steel or Fighting monotypes. Aurorus has lots of competition with Omastar as well, since Omastar has the arguably better typing, trading Ice STAB for a Steel neutrality.

Overall, Aurorus needs major support from its teammates in order to succeed, and, through its niche movesets, may prove to be valuable against some teams that Rock dreads.holycrapthatsoundedsostupidwhydidiwritethisbeforeew

Last edited:

Acast

Hawlucha (Fighting) for A Rank

Typical set:
Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Sky Attack
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance/Stone Edge

My own gimmicky set:
Hawlucha @ Dread Plate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Fling

Hawlucha is an amazing late game sweeper. Before the Unburden boost, it already has a great base 118 speed stat, but afterward it'll be outspeeding almost anything, even if the opponent has a 2x boost to its speed or is holding a scarf. If it can somehow get both the Unburden and a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha will plough right through most teams. Works especially well against opposing Fighting, Grass, and Bug teams, but beware of Mega Pinsir.

Pro:

Great speed
Unburden is an amazing ability for a late game sweeper such as Hawlucha and Unburden is an incredibly good combo with STAB Acrobatics
Access to very high power STAB attacks as well as Swords Dance

Con:

Very, very frail
No priority (Ice shard and Mega Pisnir's Quick Attack will always hit it first)
Less than desirable base attack stat (92 isn't awful, but it's not great)

Hawlucha is most useful on a hyper offensive team, which isn't too difficult to build with Fighting types. This is because Unburden can only be taken advantage of once. If Hawlucha is switched out, it can't get the Unburden boost back, so it's generally more effective to just damage as many things as possible until Hawlucha faints.

The first move set I listed is by far the most common set. Sky Attack is a powerful move and giving Hawlucha a Power Herb allows it to use Sky Attack the first turn and gives it the Unburden boost all at once.

The second move set is somewhat of a gimmick that I came up with when trying to figure out a better way to utilize Hawlucha. Fling is a Dark type move, so Dread Plate boosts its power by 1.2x, just a little less than a Life Orb. When holding any of the various Plates, Fling's base power is 90, so by giving Hawlucha a Dread Plate and Fling, it suddenly gets access to a slightly boosted 90 base power Dark type move to bop those Psychic and Ghost teams that Fighting types hate so much. Admittedly, Fling is a one-use-only move which is an unfortunate drawback, but Sky Attack is essentially the same way in practice. The main difference is that the Sky Attack set has a little more power while the Fling set has quite a bit more coverage.

Last edited:

Nani Man

__what__ does nani mean
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Heatran (S rank) for Steel

Heatran is an absolute necessity for Steel teams due its beautiful ability, Flash Fire. With this, it prevents the enemy from sweeping through with fire moves. Heatran can be versatile and run many viable sets as seen below:

Sets:
ScarfTran
#######
Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- AncientPower / Hidden Power Ice
- Flamethrower / Flash Cannon

SpecsTran
########
Heatran @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
- Overheat
- Earth Power

BalloonTran
########
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Modest Nature
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

BulkyTran
########
Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
- Stealth Rock / Roar
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect

The scarf set is a beautiful revenge killer as once it absorbs the fire moves, the enemy would not expect Heatran to outspeed and get attacked by its powerful Overheat. This handles major threats that would spam fire moves otherwise and try to waste away your team. The air balloon set is just as good, though due to lacking speed, you must preserve the balloon carefully in the event that ground moves are being used. This is a major pain for scarf threats such as Garchomp, Nidoking, Darmanitan as they all lose the ability to Fire Blast/Flare Blitz/Earthquake if locked into that and must allow something to get hit by a powerful Fire Blast. Just like the balloon set, caution is required with the SpecsTran as well, though this is best reserved for pesky walls such as Mandibuzz/Hippowdon/Mew and so on.

Now, for the bulky variant of Heatran. This offers a great core with Steel as Heatran+Skarmory+Ferrothorn/Doublade/Scizor (the offensive set is still applicable here) is deadly and requires little effort keep it working. The major threats are fighting and ground, in which Skarmory covers well and can switch to Ferrothorn/Heatran/Doublade/Scizor to play with the opponent. This is most effective on balanced teams and really is troublesome to handle.

Pinsir for A-rank

Pinsir @Pinsirite
Ability: Any
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat / Earthquake
The classic mega pinsir set is just as great in monotype, if not better. Not much needs to be said about this; swords dance when given the opportunity, then sweep everything with aerilate and a coverage move. Mega pinsir is relatively fast compared to other pokemon, and most faster things are frail and can be KO'd or nearly KO'd by +2 quick attack. It's sheer power, speed, and coverage that gives mega pinsir an A-rank. Factors that prevent it from being S-ranked include its weaknesses to rock, its relative frailness, the fact that it needs to waste a turn to set up, and the presence of a few pokemon (although not as common as in OU) that can still wall it, and fast pokemon that can survive quick attack. However, with a little support, mega pinsir can easily decide a game by destroying half the opposing team.

Darmanitan for A-rank

(image taken from the beautiful April Fool's sprites)
Darmanitan @Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Earthquake/Superpower/U-turn/Rock Slide
-Another option from above
-Another option from above
Behold, a base 140 attack. Behold, a STAB flare blitz, boosted to 156 power by sheer force. Behold, the easy sun support it gets in ninetales and/or mega charizard y. This thing is definition of destruction. Even if the opponent resists flare blitz, flare blitz will still destroy. Even if the opponent is a dedicated physical wall, it will fall if it's not water type. I think darmanitan should be A-ranked for the same reasons as mega pinsir: its sheer power, speed, and coverage options; while its rock weakness and frailness keep it from being considered from S-ranked. Unlike mega pinsir, darmanitan does not need to take a turn to set up; however, it is severely limited in its sweeping potential due to its reliance on a choice scarf. (Although in most cases flare blitz would do the most damage anyways.) The most support it really needs is sun support and possibly hazards.

Nani Man

__what__ does nani mean
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've asked Anttya to place a limit of how many Pokemon you can reserve. I think a maximum of three is fair. This is to give other people a chance and to not hog them all for yourself just for the sake of having it. also, great activity guys keep up the great posts.

Another good thing to keep in mind when ranking Pokemon is to think "if I was a new player and saw the rankings, those are the pókemon I should consider putting in my team" . Example, if I was looking at steel, I should be able to draw that heatran and skarmory are essential due to being S rank and are necessities/extremely important to have in my team.

truedrew

Banned deucer.
Alright, just for the record, I am NOT trolling with this recommendation. Without further ado:

Slaking for A rank:

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
6HP/252Atk/252Spe
Jolly Nature
-Retaliate
-Giga Impact
-Night Slash
-Earthquake

Now, I know what you're all thinking: "Slaking for A rank? What the hell are you smoking and where can I get some?"
It's true, Slaking is looked down upon in OU and other tiers because of it's awful inhibitor: Truant. Which only allows it to attack every other turn. But, that's perfectly fine, because if you use Slaking the correct way, it'll be out before you need to worry about it.

Now, for those of us uneducated on this beautiful monster, let's look at its base stats:

BST: 670
HP:
Atk: 160
Def: 100
Sp. Atk: 95
Sp. Def: 65
Spe: 100

Despite its lazy nature, and obese appearance, Slaking boasts not only natural bulk and defense that put some tanks to shame, but also a WHOPPING 160 Attack and 100 Speed. Fully invested with the above set and Choice Band giving Slaking a Stat Total of 442HP/419(628 After Choice Band Boost)/328 Speed. AND Slaking gets a 140 Power Same-Type-Attack-Bonus move in Retaliate, making it one of the most threatening Revenge Killers around. Or, alternatively if you need to send it in and are willing to risk a few turns, you also have a 150 BASE POWER STAB in Giga Impact. This, combined with 100 Speed, and full investment, to ensure you that slaking will leave a dent in anything unresisted. And for Ghosts? 70 Power Night Slash (With a 12.5% chance of becoming a 105 Base power move on crit), allows Slaking to overcome any ghosts that stand in Slaking's way. Not even Cofagrigus can stand up to Slaking, for fear of giving it Mummy and suppressing Truant. Earthquake is coverage for steels like Ferrothorn and friends who carry rocky helmet or iron barbs, so that Slaking takes as little damage as possible, while still murdering. Sadly, there are threats like burn, Protect, and Skarmory who are immune to EQ, or incapacitate Slaking and requires it to rely on Blissey or Chansey as a cleric with Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, but Slaking still otherwise destroys many of the Pokemon it comes up against with its natural bulk, outrageous attack, high Base Power STAB moves, and Choice band.

This is why I feel like Slaking is very worthy as A rank, for the best (And laziest) Revenge Killer in the tier.

honestly slaking for b rank for normal for the following reasons:

It is easily played around with protect/ baiting it into the wrong attack
its bulk while looking good, it is weak to entry hazards, and normal lacking common resistances makes it get worn out
Its nighslash is laughably weak against the bulkier ghost types and the set you have given is completely walled by skarmory to hell and back
Lastly the free turn the opponent gets due to truant is sometimes game breaking as say its vs bug and mega pinsir switches in the sd it sets u allows it to sweep nice nez

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scrafty[Fighting] for A Rank

Thug(Scrafty)(M)@Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpDef
Careful Nature
-Bulk Up/Dragon Dance
-Rest
-Crunch
-Drain Punch

Scrafty is a very bulky Pokemon.On Fighting, just like Cradily, takes care of one of Fighting's biggest weaknesses: Psychic. Scrafty is immune to Psychic, so switch in on a Psychic move, and start setting up. Bulk Up set makes Scrafty a lot like Crocune, except it can wake up by chance a bit of the time. Shed Skin is very important since it means it can take Will-O-Wisps that Fighting types often get. Honestly, I think that you should run the Bulk Up set because Fighting lacks a lot of defense. Scrafty also resists those pesky Ghost types' STABs which is good.
Now, for the bad things. Obviously, there's the Fairy type. Scrafty can't take anything from them. They also wall it, so yeah. Scrafty's screwed against Fairies. Also, Scrafty's slow. Unless you're using the Dragon Dance set. Really both the Dragon Dance set and the Bulk Up set has its perks. However, you'll run into problems when using either set.
Conclusion is that Scrafty might not do much for Fighting against Fairies, but it's quite a need if you want to get rid of Psychic types.
I'm more akin to put Scrafty at a B rank for fighting (worse for dark). While it does provide a nice immunity to psychic moves, most fighting teams are not built around an immunity core and instead opt to apply offensive pressure to always hold momentum. For instance, scarf Heracross (which will probably be an A rank 'mon) outclasses Scrafty vs psychic teams as it can easily break Slowbro--the main impediment to a fighting team succeeding against psychic. As for psychic coverage, things such as AV Conk or Gallade for Psychic or Cobalion for a predicted Psyshock can do the job w/o having to worry about being completely wrecked by the fairy coverage that is often run along side psychic moves.

252 Atk Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 258-306 (65.4 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also, only serving as fodder when playing a fairy team is not so great given fairy is one of the more common types encountered in the monotype meta. :/
B rank: These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.

Hawlucha (Fighting) for A Rank

Typical set:
Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature
- Sky Attack
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance/Stone Edge

My own gimmicky set:
Hawlucha @ Dread Plate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Fling

Hawlucha is an amazing late game sweeper. Before the Unburden boost, it already has a great base 118 speed stat, but afterward it'll be outspeeding almost anything, even if the opponent has a 2x boost to its speed or is holding a scarf. If it can somehow get both the Unburden and a Swords Dance boost, Hawlucha will plough right through most teams. Works especially well against opposing Fighting, Grass, and Bug teams, but beware of Mega Pinsir.
Pro:
Great speed
Unburden is an amazing ability for a late game sweeper such as Hawlucha and Unburden is an incredibly good combo with STAB Acrobatics
Access to very high power STAB attacks as well as Swords Dance
Con:
Very, very frail
No priority (Ice shard and Mega Pisnir's Quick Attack will always hit it first)
Less than desirable base attack stat (92 isn't awful, but it's not great)

Hawlucha is most useful on a hyper offensive team, which isn't too difficult to build with Fighting types. This is because Unburden can only be taken advantage of once. If Hawlucha is switched out, it can't get the Unburden boost back, so it's generally more effective to just damage as many things as possible until Hawlucha faints.

The first move set I listed is by far the most common set. Sky Attack is a powerful move and giving Hawlucha a Power Herb allows it to use Sky Attack the first turn and gives it the Unburden boost all at once.

The second move set is somewhat of a gimmick that I came up with when trying to figure out a better way to utilize Hawlucha. Fling is a Dark type move, so Dread Plate boosts its power by 1.2x, just a little less than a Life Orb. When holding any of the various Plates, Fling's base power is 90, so by giving Hawlucha a Dread Plate and Fling, it suddenly gets access to a slightly boosted 90 base power Dark type move to bop those Psychic and Ghost teams that Fighting types hate so much. Admittedly, Fling is a one-use-only move which is an unfortunate drawback, but Sky Attack is essentially the same way in practice. The main difference is that the Sky Attack set has a little more power while the Fling set has quite a bit more coverage.

Agree with the A ranking on this one, a team that is unprepared for Hawlucha can, and often will, get swept. Hawlucha is incredibly versatile as almost any consumable item can work. It may be worth it to mention some of those gimmicky sets beyond Fling (which I really like btw :D). Things such as Sub+Liechi Berry, Bulk Up+ChestoRest or SD&Baton Pass+Red Card are all fun to play and can cause some serious problems when the opponent is expecting the standard Power Herb set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)