XY OU My First Competitive Sun Team

Intro:
Hey everyone this is the first time I've made a proper competitive Pokemon team, even though I've always been interested in the competitive side of Pokemon. I've always enjoyed fire Pokemon and the idea of sun teams so i thought i'd give it a go!

Small Disclaimer!
While I've embraced the competitive battling scene and want to do the best I am able to I firmly believe in only using Pokemon actually obtainable in the Pokemon games, as such i choose NOT to use legendary Pokemon because the chances of getting a legendary Pokemon with the correct stats/nature is almost impossible. I know this puts me at quite a disadvantage but I'm willing to stay true to what I believe and have fun doing it.

Team Building:
I started with what i thought a good Sun team needs and revolves around, A sun setter and Chlorophyll sweeper. I chose a specially defensive Ninetales and a physical attacking Sawsbuck. I also added a special attacking Mega Charizard Y for extra sun setting because of drought only lasting 5 turns on switch in.

Now I'm not amazing at team building being my first time, but i know that Dragon type Pokemon are fairly common and powerful, so i need something to counter them. I chose a physical attacking Mamoswine.

I then thought i'd need something to counter every sun teams big weakness, Stealth Rocks. I also though i'd give the new Fairy type a go, so i chose a Specially defensive Togekiss.

I realized my team was lacking physical defense, rock moves and momentum. At the time i just wanted a completed team so i chose something to fit the bill, a physically defensive Probopass.

So i had my team a played a few games on Pokemon Showdown and found a few problems. My biggest one, My defog user(Togekiss) was weak to stealth rock and Probopass was not a very good fit for the team. So i swapped Togekiss for a physically defensive Scizor and swapped Probopass for a physically offensive Barbaracle.

This team proved to be significantly better, but now another issue revealed itself. Mamoswine my stealth rock setter was taking too much damage setting up rocks and overall was too important to loose. So i restructured my last 3 Pokemon to a physically offensive Garchomp, a physically defensive Metagross and Starmie as a rapid spinner.

This is my current team and it's going fairly well.

In Depth:

Phoenix (Ninetales) (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 29 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Protect

Ninetales is my primary sun setter, with Heat Rock to make it last 8 turns and a specially defensive set that makes water moves like scald and hydro pump useless if i switch in on them. Flamethrower as the only offensive in the sun hits fairly hard but the main focus is sun and Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers. Roar I've found is quite useful at stacking up Stealth Rock damage and getting rid of Substituted Pokemon and protect helps rack up some burn damage and scout potentially hard attacks.

Kodama (Sawsbuck) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 48 HP / 244 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 24 SpA
- Horn Leech
- Double-Edge
- Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

After looking at the primary chlorophyll sweepers i decided on Sawsbuck for a few reasons, Firstly because I planed on having Mega Charizard Y on my team this meant i already had a Special Sweeper and Ninetales provided special bulk. So in stead of the commonly used Venusaur, Sawsbuck was chosen and I have never regretted it. Sawsbuck's Decent attack plus life orb and stab Double Edge is a force to be reckoned with, I only recently switched to using Swords Dance in stead of Wild Charge and the +2 attack is monstrous! Jump kick allows Sawsbuck to seriously dent steel Pokemon too.

Smaug (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Air Slash
- SolarBeam

Mega Charizard Y acts as my special power house and an extra sun setter, I think with the changes to drought 2 weather setters is almost a necessity. I've come up against a few rain teams and the thing that sets us apart is i can swap to and from 2 sun setters while they struggle to send Politoad out at every chance, and once he's down it's practically game over. Fire Blast in the sun is self explanatory, destroying even foes that resist it in 2 hits most of the time. Solar beam gives it an edge against water Pokemon silly enough to think they can kill him in the sun. Focus blast destroys most steel and fighting Pokemon in 2 hits. I use to run dragon pulse in stead of air slash but found Charizard's bulk was not enough o stand up to dragons and dish them out, so i changed to air slash giving fighting Pokemon a nice surprise!

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

Next up is Garchomp. I used to run Mamoswine but found even with Thick Fat his fire weakness proved to much, Garchomp fills the dragon killer roll perfectly. Choice scarf allows him to outpace every dragon bar choice scarfed Latios and Latias killing every dragon in one hit, stealth rock support enables him to even kill multiscale Dragonite with no problem. Fire Fang is mostly a surprise with his high attack and the sun it does the job very nicely over Fire Blast or another special fire move more commonly seen, and allows me to fully EV his attack with no worries. Stone edge allows me to kill pesky Talonflame's too, coupled with rough skin, priority brave bird does more damage than its worth.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Bullet Punch

Metagross recently replaced Scizor as my tanky steel type Pokemon, and fits the role of a Stealth Rock setter nicely. Toxic helps to out tank other Pokemon and Bullet Punch overcomes his poor speed. I like Metagross's role in the team but I'm still experimenting with his moveset to get the most out of him.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 4 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Psyshock

Lastly Starmie is my Rapid Spinner, after using Defog users previously the change is interesting, Starmie's speed allows it to always get the spin in without a worry, and leftovers plus recover lets it live longer to spin more. Psyshock is used to pick on Gengar and other poison types and helps to do some damage to fighting types. Even in the sunlight Starmie is fairly useful and when the sunlight runs out scald deals some nice damage.

Summary:
The team is going fairly well with the changes from the original team, I could probably use some advice though due to my inexperience in competitive battling. Any feedback it welcome!​

Alright, so you have 4 EVs in special attack on your garchomp with 0 special attacking moves.....so, yeah. Either switch to fire blast or switch that. Also I would switch out bullet punch for EQ on metagross since both of your attacking moves are steel type. Other than that, your teams looks good!

metagross probably wants ice punch/zen head butt over toxic. toxic is sorta useless, since you're just wasting sun turns. anyway, what's starmie and metagross doing on a sun team o_O

Instead of Metagross I would recommend a heatproof bronzong. With sun being up steel is threatened quite a bit and heatproof could mitigate some of the incoming damage. Less offensive, but you can do a lot more with Bronzong because of it's supporting movepool. Light clay screens, toxic, stealth rock, pretty good attack for a gyro and EQ if you want more offensive capabilities.

Id suggest heatran>metagross. It isn't hurt by the boosted fire moves, has one of its very few weaknesses mitigated by the sun(water), gets a boost for it's fire moves, and overall has one of the best typings in the game. Also, use fire blast over fire fang on garchomp. Fire blast is a lot more useful and hits physical walls like ferrothorn/skarmory without worrying about rocky helmet iron barbs etc. Also, switch out starmie for a defogger such as lati@s. Water types on a sun team don't tend to work out well, as their STAB damage is halved.

Instead of Metagross
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

Instead of Starmie
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Instead of Garchomp
Donphan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback!

currently hovering around 1450, hopefully some changes will up that!

I didn't realize Garchomp had those 4 on SpAtk haha, i have swapped to fireblast. Have definitely had issues with iron barbs/rocky helmet ferrothorn!

Now have Metagross running:
Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

I liked the idea of toxic as it helps to wear down walls but i agree its wasting sunlight. Was also considering thunder punch as he is commonly walled by water Pokemon.

I never considered Bronzong i might try that out thanks for the suggestion!

I've not had any issues with Metagross taking fire hits anyway and Starmie is more for the Rapid Spin and Psyshock, so probably not the best fit i may try changing it around.

As i stated I didn't particularity want to use legendary Pokemon for my own reasons but i may try out a team with legendary Pokemonfor playing online, which more more than likely yield better results.

Once again thanks for all the feedback it is greatly appreciated!

Sup. It's really cool to see weather based teams and personally, I think weather is a pretty cool play style (Rain HO is AWESOME). Anyways, here's some nitpicks.

First, I'd probably drop YZard's Air Slash for Roost. Only relevant pokes I can remember off the top of my head with Air Slash are Conkeldurr and Mega Venusaur which are both 2HKOd by Sun boosted Fire Blasts. Probably the Lati twins and Bulky DD XZard too but you really shouldn't be staying in on those as the Latis and threaten you with Draco while XZard can and will setup on you. Roost prolongs YZard's HP and allows it to switch out and set Sun another day which I see could be crucial to your team as you only have 2 Sun setters.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 114-135 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Draco Meteor 2HKOs even after the SpA drop.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 163-193 (48.9 - 57.9%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO
Great chance to 2HKO, but XZard OHKOs you with Dragon Claw and a little bit of prior damage
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 232-274 (78.1 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would also suggest trying out Chlorophyll Venusaur over Sawsbuck. Venusaur has better mixed stats and could muscle past strong walls like Gliscor and Ferrothorn easier with a powerful Weather Ball under the sun and can lure in Heatran and beat it with EQ.
Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 148 Atk / 252 SAtk / 108 Spe
Mild Nature
- Growth / Sludge Bomb / Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain / Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Earthquake

The EV spread's not the best. I literally just thought about it now, while I'm writing this rate lol. Anyways, 108 Spe allows you to outspeed Scarfchomp under the Sun (fastest relevant thing I can think of right now). Outspeeding Scarfed Latios requires you to run a +Spe nature which reduces offensive capabilities. It's also a bit situational as Scarf Latios isn't really as common as LO Defog. The 252 SAtk is for maximum Weather Ball and Giga Drain power and the rest dumped into Atk for more EQ power. Growth is an amazing boosting move while Sludge Bomb allows you to hit the Faries, Latis and Dragonite.

Finally I would suggest Heatran. Heatran covers two of the biggest threats I see on this team. XZard and Talonflame. Heatran freely switches in on any XZard not running EQ and eats Talonflames Brave Birds like it's nothing.

These are all purely suggestions, feel free to ignore them lol. Good luck with your team!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)