NU Sneasel

QC Checks: scorpdestroyer / Montsegur / Soulgazer

GP Checks: frenzyplant / fleurdyleurse

Overview
########

With two great offensive types in Dark and Ice, an amazing Speed tier, and a relatively good Attack stat, Sneasel is a good Pokemon in the NU metagame. It also has access to the coveted Knock Off, and it even has priority in the form of Ice Shard. However, depending on whether it uses Life Orb or Eviolite, it lacks bulk or power, respectively. It has pitiful defensive stats and five weaknesses, and is further hindered by its weakness to Stealth Rock.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Ice Shard
ability: Inner Focus
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Knock Off is a great STAB choice for any Dark -type, and Sneasel is no different. Boosted by Life Orb, Knock Off can take out lots of threats or severely damage and cripple them by removing their items. Pursuit is used to catch Pokemon switching out off -guard, and when boosted, it really packs a punch. Ice Punch is a great secondary STAB move with great coverage, hitting Grass-, Flying-, and Ground-types hard, while also getting good neutral damage on anything resisting Knock Off. Ice Shard is another Ice-type move, but it has priority, which allows Sneasel to hit faster Pokemon such as Sceptile and Swellow which would otherwise beat it. Ice Shard also allows it to pick off weakened opponents that carry Choice Scarf or carry priority moves. Low Kick can be used used to round off the coverage, and hits hit troublesome Steel-types such as Steelix and Pawniard hard.

Set Details
========

Sneasel's best stats, Speed and Attack, are maximized, while the last 4 EVs go in Defense rather than HP to allow Sneasel to take less damage from Stealth Rock and Life Orb. A Jolly nature is used because Sneasel's Speed tier is just so important. Life Orb is used to increase damage output so that Sneasel hits just about everything hard. Finally, the ability of choice is Inner Focus because it can block flinches from the likes of Fake Out.

Usage Tips
========

Entry hazards should be removed because Sneasel is vulnerable to them, especially Stealth Rock. Sneasel should not be switching into attacks, even resisted ones, as it is very frail. Sneasel likes picking off opponents as a revenge killer, as it isn't going to be sweeping many teams. It can also be used as a nice hole-puncher mid-game, as it hits really hard. Knock Off should always be the first option to use. Prediction is key, however, as Sneasel doesn't want to be switching in and out often.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that set entry hazards make good teammates because they give Sneasel an easier time picking off opponents. Accelgor, Crustle, and Roselia make good teammates for this role. For example, after Stealth Rock damage, Swellow is OHKOed by Ice Shard. Pokemon that can beat Fighting-types, especially Poliwrath, work well. Psychic-types are good for this role, as they beat Fighting-types for Sneasel, while Sneasel beats Ghost-types for them. Poison-types make for good teammates, as they can deal with Granbull, which is a huge threat to Sneasel. Garbodor and Qwilfish can switch into Bug-, Fighting-, and Fairy-type moves, set up hazards, and lure in Psychic-types for Sneasel to switch into. Vileplume makes for a good choice, as it can put threatening foes to sleep and beat Rock-types and Poliwrath. Psychic-types such as Exeggutor and Mesprit can deal with physical walls and appreciate Sneasel weakening special walls with Knock Off and Pursuit. Hazard removers work well as teammates, as Sneasel does not appreciate hazards. Swanna and Kabutops are good options for this role because they both resist Sneasel's Fire-type weakness, and Swanna resists its Fighting-type weakness. Lastly, status absorbers such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Roselia work well as they don't mind burn, paralysis, or poison very much.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Ice Punch / Ice Shard
move 4: Ice Shard / Low Kick
item: Eviolite

Moves
========

Swords Dance allows Sneasel to boost up its Attack to extremely high levels and tear through teams. Knock Off is a great STAB choice for Sneasel. Boosted by Swords Dance, Sneasel can take out or severely damage lots of threats, and cripple them by removing their items. Ice Punch is a great secondary STAB move with great coverage, hitting Grass-, Flying-, Dragon-, and Ground-types hard. Ice Shard is another Ice-type move, but is a priority move, so it can hit faster Pokemon such as Sceptile and Swellow which would otherwise beat Sneasel. It also allows Sneasel to pick off weakened opponents that carry Choice Scarf or may have their own priority. Low Kick is used to round off the coverage and hit Steel-types that pose a threat, such as Steelix and Pawniard.

Set Details
========

252 EVs go into Sneasel's best stats, Speed and Attack, to maximize them, while the remaining 4 EVs are put in Defense instead of HP to minimize Stealth Rock damage. A Jolly nature is used because Sneasel's Speed tier is very important. An Adamant nature can be used if you don't mind the Speed loss and want the power boost. Eviolite is used to provide just enough bulk to reliably set up. Inner Focus is the ability of choice and is used to block flinch chances from the likes of Fake Out.

Usage Tips
========

Do not stay in against Fighting-types, as Sneasel has a very bad matchup against them. Take out any Fighting-types before attempting a sweep. Always switch in as little as possible, as Sneasel really hates residual damage. Set up on bulky Pokemon that may not be attacking, or on predicted switches. Eviolite gives enough bulk for Sneasel to use Swords Dance and rip a team apart. Mid-game, Sneasel can still do work by spamming Knock Off and softening up opponents, so don't feel restricted to sweeping late-game.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that set entry hazards, such as Crustle, Roselia, and Accelgor, make for good teammates as they give Sneasel an easier time picking off opponents. For example, after two layers of Spikes, a Swords Dance-boosted Ice Punch will always OHKO Sawk. Pokemon that can beat Fighting-types, especially Poliwrath, work well. Psychic-types are good for this role, as they beat Fighting-types for Sneasel, while Sneasel beats Ghost-types for them. Poison-types make for good teammates, as they can deal with Granbull, which is a huge threat to Sneasel. Garbodor and Qwilfish are able to switch into Bug-, Fighting-, and Fairy-type moves, set up hazards, and lure in Psychic-types for Sneasel to switch in on. Vileplume makes a good choice as it beats Rock-types, Poliwrath, and can put threatening foes to sleep. Psychic-types such as Exeggutor and Mesprit can deal with physical walls and appreciate Sneasel's ability to weaken special walls with Knock Off and Pursuit. Hazard removers work well, as Sneasel does not appreciate hazards. Swanna and Kabutops are good options, as Swanna resists Sneasel's Fighting-type weakness, while both resist it's Fire-type weakness. Finally, status absorbers such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Roselia work well as they do not mind burn, paralysis, or poison.

Other Options
########

Sneasel does not have very many useful alternate options. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types, but Ice Punch will suffice most of the time. Taunt can be used to stop stall, but Sneasel would usually rather have coverage. A Choice Band set can be used, but Sneasel appreciates the ability to change moves. Focus Sash can be used effectively to ensure a Swords Dance boost, but should be used as a late -game cleaner only. Lastly, Fake Out can be used to hit faster opponents, but Ice Shard usually works just as well, and is boosted by STAB.

Checks & Counters
########

**Poliwrath**: Poliwrath is the biggest counter to Sneasel, as it resists both of Sneasel's STAB moves, takes little damage from Low Kick, and can either OHKO Sneasel with a STAB Fighting-type move or set up on it.

**Steelix**: Steelix is very physically bulky, takes minimal damage from any of Sneasel's moves bar Low Kick, and can OHKO Sneasel with a Steel-type STAB move.

**Granbull**: Granbull is one of the biggest checks to Sneasel, as it resists Sneasel's main STAB move, Knock Off, and has Intimidate to lower Sneasel's Attack. It can always OHKO with a super effective Play Rough in return.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Choice Scarf Sawk, Choice Scarf Primeape, Hariyama, and Gurdurr can all reliably beat Sneasel with a super effective STAB move. The first two have trouble switching in, however, as they do not appreciate losing their item, or taking an Ice Punch.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Any Pokemon that is able to take a hit and retaliate, such as Seismitoad, Garbodor, Bouffalant, and Feraligatr can typically OHKO Sneasel with ease.

**Status**: Status significantly hinders Sneasel, as burns halve its Attack, paralysis slows it down greatly, and poison whittles its health down.

**Priority**: Gurdurr's Mach Punch, Feraligatr's and Samurott's Aqua Jet, Hariyama's Bullet Punch, and Kangaskhan's Fake Out can all quickly end Life Orb Sneasel.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
don't debate any longer, it's definitely worth it!
an SD set with eviolite is probably the best it can do, generally with sneasel it's either LO + 4attacks, or Eviolite SD.

I actually used to be a non-believer of Eviolite sneasel, but after trying it out a bit after being told off by people in the NP thread, it's actually really good. it has enough special bulk to generally SD on things it otherwise wouldn't, and at +2 Knock Off / Ice Punch / Ice Shard is scary.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
slash ice shard before low kick on the swords dance set. ice punch plus knock off has decent coverage and ice shard is much more useful than low kick for scarfers.

pursuit should also be before low kick as well on the first set since pursuiting the numerous ghost and psychic types in the tier is much more useful than hitting steel types, especially since they don't enjoy taking knock off very much and can tank low kick well, unless you hit them for 4x damage

remove x-scissor, power-up punch, aerial ace, subpunch, low sweep, brick break, fling, hone claws from other options since they shouldn't be considered at all

life orb is also good on the swords dance set, as is eviolite on the first set. in my opinion both sets should have life orb first and eviolite second since the drop in power is noticeable, but i'm not too sure

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In the Overview, I wouldn't say it's terribly frail since it actually has pretty respectable bulk with Eviolite. I would reword it to say it lacks immediate power with Evio but lacks bulk with LO

You don't need to mention what the EV spread does if it's just max / max, and you certainly don't need to explain what the last 4 EVs do lol

In UT for the first set it's not just for use as a revenge killer; STAB Knock Off and good coverage in general makes it a nice hole-puncher for midgame as well

Bastiodon is a bad teammate for Sneasel because it's pretty much deadweight on any team that isn't stall, remove pls. Also, if there's anything that makes Steelix and Rhydon stand out as partners you should add them, or else remove them. Torkoal is rather poor as a spinner in this meta too so I would list something more relevant like perhaps Kabutops which can deal with Scarfed Fire-types.

I would note that SD Sneasel can still use Knock Off to weaken counters early-game so it can still be useful even if it can't sweep.

Add Steelix into C&C

Will post more later but pls implement this stuff

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Don't use 4HP EVs on something with LO and is weak to rocks. Uneven hp means you take less from hazards and life orb in general, and give you 4 switch ins vs 3 and 10 LO turns vs 9. Move them to def or spd instead.

Pickpocket is pretty useless in every situation I can think of. Inner Focus should be first slash if not the only ability listed on both sets since Sneasel shouldn't ever try to take knock offs for the team, while Inner Focus at least have some situational use (correct me if I'm wrong on this QC).

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Im questioning Eviolite on the SD set. Sneasel is just so god damn frail that I feel Focus Sash would be more useful to guarantee at least one SD when rocks/spikes/t-spikes are off of the field. I just feel that the extra bulk provided by Eviolite is pretty useless. Pickpocket would work then I guess, but even then I'm going to say set details on the SD set only, if not OO, as Inner Focus is you're best ability on both sets due to it ignoring flinches (which could very easily be Sneasel's demise due to its shocking frailty).

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Water Drone implement Dat Blast's changes please!

Also I agree with removing Pickpocket. Inner Focus is much more useful to prevent Kangaskhan from revenge killing with Fake Out, and Pickpocket is pretty useless because Sneasel would a) rarely risk switching into something that has Knock Off and b) also has Knock Off for item removal itself.

When mentioning entry hazard setters in TO for both sets, also mention 1-2 KOs that entry hazards help Sneasel achieve. They need to be significant enough because otherwise, every Pokemon likes entry hazards anyway. If possible list a KO achieved at +2 for the SD set.

Also under TO, don't mention that Gurdurr and Swellow "appreciate status" -- Gurdurr doesn't exactly like Toxic or getting worn down and I'm not very comfortable in listing Swellow as a status absorber because that involves switching it into something (and Swellow's pretty papery, too). Replace Swellow with another status absorber (eg. Roselia or Hariyama) and rather than saying they appreciate status, say that they don't mind it as much.

Remove Hone Claws from OO, there's no reason to use it over Swords Dance.

--

To other QC: what are your opinions on SD Sneasel's 3rd and 4th moveslot? I don't really have that much experience with it but what are your thoughts on deslashing Low Kick and giving it a good mention under moves, because most Steels are hit hard enough by Knock Off and Ice Shard is really cool?

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
I've found Choice Band a very good item on Sneasel as well, as getting worn down by rocks and LO damage is very annoying. It gives it more power and I don't mind not being able to switch cause OP Knock Off is spammable as hell anyway :]. I would make it a slash after Life Orb on the first set.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
yup leave Choice Band in OO for now. Life Orb allows Sneasel to switch moves and considering it has useful moves, priority and good coverage I doubt the extra power is worth it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Life Orb:

you mentioned +2 Knock Off KOs Feraligatr after Spikes on the offensive set, which doesn't have SD :/ anyways find some nice KOs that LO Sneasel grabs and move this to SD

When you mention that you can use Adamant for the nature, it will be nice if you could find some KOs grabbed by Adamant and not Jolly, or a more specific reason than "more power", otherwise there's no need to put it there.

Swords Dance:

Mention that midgame, Sneasel can still do work by spamming Knock Off and softening up opens

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
SD:

List examples of entry hazard setters when mentioning them in Team Options of SD Sneasel. Also:

+2 252 Atk Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 255-301 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sneasel doesn't KO all variants of Feraligatr. You could mention that the KO is achieved only on DD Gatr, or change it to / add something like:

+2 252 Atk Sneasel Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sawk: 250-295 (85.6 - 101%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

Checks and Counters:

Hariyama and Gurdurr can take Ice Punch pretty well, even if the other Fighting-types get 2HKOed. Make sure you say that Sawk and Primeape are the ones that can't always switch into Ice Punch

after you implement, consider this QC 1/3

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Mention examples when mentioning types, namely the Psychic-types and Poison-types (you either had only one example or none at all). Psychic-types like Exeggutor and Mesprit can deal with physical walls and appreciates Sneasel's Knock Off / Pursuit support to weaken special walls, while Poison-types such as Garbodor and Qwilfish can switch into Bug-, Fighting-, and Fairy-type moves, set up hazards, and lure in Psychic-types for Sneasel to switch in on.

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Still need to remove the mention of the 4EVs from both set details, you don't have to mention them.

You also have random sections with much larger font, fix that.

The physical Fairy move is Play Rough not Play Tough when talking about Granbull.

Remember to mention that Icicle Crash + Knock off are illegal in OO so you can only use either of them.

Lastly, contrary to what most people want to think Eviolite Sneasel doesn't just fall over to every kind of priority in the tier so it's mostly relevant to the Life Orb set.

252+ Atk Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Sneasel: 67-79 (26.6 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Kecleon Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Sneasel: 78-94 (31 - 37.4%) -- 77.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Samurott Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Sneasel: 86-101 (34.2 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Hariyama Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Sneasel: 98-116 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(This is up for discussion for sure, if QC want it to be a general mention to Sneasel then fine.)

tehy

Banned deucer.
I couldn't disagree more about pickpocket. Sure, taking a knock kinda sucks, but he does resist it. (Shiftry is an example of a mon you cam switch into, then unleash an LO ice punch on.)

The thing with fake out is, if i think you have inner focus, it automatically becomes a terrible idea (unless it ohkoes anyhow). So you can kind of get away with it until pickpocket is revealed. And if it was revealed, at least you made use of it.

Also you can take a knock from pawn and ohko with low kick, thx for free evio. Or pivot on the iron head, i won't judge.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
I couldn't disagree more about pickpocket. Sure, taking a knock kinda sucks, but he does resist it. (Shiftry is an example of a mon you cam switch into, then unleash an LO ice punch on.)

The thing with fake out is, if i think you have inner focus, it automatically becomes a terrible idea (unless it ohkoes anyhow). So you can kind of get away with it until pickpocket is revealed. And if it was revealed, at least you made use of it.

Also you can take a knock from pawn and ohko with low kick, thx for free evio. Or pivot on the iron head, i won't judge.
Shiftry isn't NU.

In any case, Inner Focus is a lot less situational. By having Inner Focus, staying in on Kangaskhan is no longer such a bad idea; without it, Sneasel really cannot afford to stay in because it could get outprioritized and flinched, which causes it to take unnecessary damage and lose a turn. In addition it allows Sneasel to beat a weakened Kangaskhan whose best play would be to Fake Out anyway. It doesn't matter whether or not you think I have Inner Focus because I still get a hit on Kangaskhan either way; without Inner Focus there isn't a guaranteed chance.

As for why Pickpocket sucks: There aren't many Knock Off users in NU that Sneasel like switching into (in fact, Sneasel shouldn't be switching in on anything unless necessary). Most things with Knock Off should have a coverage move that can beat Sneasel. Pickpocket is also bad because it weakens Sneasel's Knock Off, or potentially give it a less useful item (imagine stealing a Toxic Orb off Zangoose, or Choice Scarf off Mesprit). Finally, if you really wanted to remove an opponent's item, Knock Off is many times safer and more reliable, and you don't have to lose yours. There are times when Pickpocket could be useful, but those are a lot more situational and risky than Inner Focus.

For analyses we have to place the best option and Inner Focus is the only ability that improves Sneasel offensively, because it helps it to defeat weakened Fake Out users. Pickpocket is simply an option that annoys some opponents a little, but it doesn't help Sneasel's role half as much as Inner Focus does.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well firstly...

By weakened fake outters, you really mean kangaskhan, since it has sucker. After all, if they can take a hit and strike back, fake out is a really crappy gamble, so you just KO the next turn.

Also, kanga could switch :O. Yeah i know saccing for revenge is an option, js.

I don't think you can get either of those items, since pickpocket only works when they hit you. Turns out knock off won't activate it, though, so there's that.

Ultimately, almost all pokemon have some attack sneasel won't like. Now, a partial answer to that is 'don't switch in then', but sometimes you have no choice. So, you do what you have to do, predict. And pickpocket makes that easier.

For analyses, you can slash the second best option second. Not convinced if it's more than oo thanks to dumb knock off mechanics though.

Mention examples when mentioning types, namely the Psychic-types and Poison-types (you either had only one example or none at all). Psychic-types like Exeggutor and Mesprit can deal with physical walls and appreciates Sneasel's Knock Off / Pursuit support to weaken special walls, while Poison-types such as Garbodor and Qwilfish can switch into Bug-, Fighting-, and Fairy-type moves, set up hazards, and lure in Psychic-types for Sneasel to switch in on.
Implemented.

All-Out Attacker is the usual term i believe
I was going to do this but I forgot about it, thanks for reminding me.

Still need to remove the mention of the 4EVs from both set details, you don't have to mention them.

You also have random sections with much larger font, fix that.

The physical Fairy move is Play Rough not Play Tough when talking about Granbull.

Remember to mention that Icicle Crash + Knock off are illegal in OO so you can only use either of them.
Keeping Evs its important to say to get minimum stealth rock damage.
Fixed everything else. Also removed icicle crash because I couldn't see a situation where it is really worth it over ice punch.

Ready for 2nd check.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
All-Out Attacker
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Ice Shard
item: Life Orb

and Low Kick only mentionned in Moves. Pursuit is one of the main reasons that people use Sneasel.

Add in C&C that any Pokemon with good physical bulk can take a hit from Sneasel and do a ton to it.

Also just a reminder that you should have wrote it up AFTER the third qc ;)

QC 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)