Multi Gen Ubers Video Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ubers doesn't get videos very often so this thread will be an index for finding quality videos and for sharing your own. Also, feel free to discuss videos in this thread.

Smogon's Youtube Channel

Uberscasts:
1st Uberscast (BW2, audio only)
3rd Uberscast (BW2, XY speculation)
4th Uberscast (XY)
1st Ubers Minicast (XY)

Edgar's Youtube Channel

Check out his Live to the Top series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Also see his commentary on his Ubers games in SPL:
Week 5: Furai
Week 6: Problems
Week 7: TGMD

He also has his own brand of Uberscasts that are very worth checking out.
Uberscast

Last edited:

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
A while back I narrated an xy botw battle between furai and hack and I posted it in the thread for vids to be uploaded but they still havent.

If you wanna see it... (scroll a bit ) audio sucks but I got a new mic for christmas so if I decide to do more (theres a huge stockpile of spl replays, thatd be cool i guess) they will sound much better.

I screwed up a bit but that was like the 19999th time I tried so i was done.

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
approved by Melee Mewtwo

I am going to attempt to do a huge resurrection job with this thread and write up an archive of good videos for people, Ubers needs more love on Youtube

1. Edgar a.k.a. Dblacstardust on Youtube: Edgar's Youtube Channel

Edgar's POCL content:

Week 2 vs Steve Angello
Week 3 vs Puregenius
Week 4 vs Fixed

Edgar's Standalone videos/lives:
Showcasing Trick Room Victini
Showcasing Scolipede
A video on why Edgar doesn't like "Top 10" laddering videos
Swords Dance Mega Scizor
Showcasing Mega Mawile
Showcasing how good Gothitelle is
Nasty Plot Mega Lucario

########

2. aim a.k.a. Pokeaimmd on Youtube: Pokeaimmd's Youtube Channel

Pokeaimmd did a Ladder to Top Ten in Ubers a couple of months ago, the playlist can be found here

Aim's standalone videos/lives:

Ubers Open Week 1 Round 1 vs ZoroarkForever
An Ubers Wi-Fi battle between Aim and Edgar
A discussion on the Shadow Tag Suspect (slightly out of date)
Another Ubers Wi-Fi battle
A one-off Ubers match between Aim and Problems

Pokeaimmd does a ton of other videos across all the tiers, with his "Top Ten" series having been completed/in progress in every major tier

########

3. Piexplode recently started up his own Youtube channel: Piexplode's Youtube Channel

He has an XY UMS or XY Ubers Metagame Series where he discusses different things each episode, this can be found here

Piexplode and Level 56 have a match and test Diancie
Piexplode plays Iampie and uses an interesting Giratina-Origin set
Piexplode plays Pokeaimmd

Piexplode also does videos on other random tiers such as RBY LC and RBY OU

Joryn also recently started: Joryn's Youtube Channel

########

4. Joryn does funny replays and sets that are hilarious to watch, the playlist containing gems such as Chatot, Special Mega Khan and Acrobatics Yveltal can be found here

Joryn plays on the lower ladder with Slurpuff
Joryn uses a randomised team on the ladder
Some douchebag called LustrousPalkia does a Gastrodon analysis for Joryn

Joryn also plays Smogon Doubles and uploads Let's Plays too

########

5. the official Smogon Youtube channel can be found here: SmogonU Youtube Channel

the most recent Uberscast discussing UPL, Gens III/IV/V and Shadow Tag
the 4th XY Uberscast

These Ubercasts are worth checking out purely to see how sexy Hack, Shrang, Melee Mewtwo, Sweep and the rest of our tier leaders and best players look :), and the content is of course great too.

########

6. Me: my (LustrousPalkia's) Youtube channel

I upload a myriad of random content, lately I am taking a break from competitive mons but I'll probably start again soon :)

My Commentaries:

Uberstars: Hack vs Lair Of Judgment (Round 1)
Haruno's Tour Final: Kebabe vs Tomohawk (Match 2)
Hack vs El Poeta (POCL)
Celeberty vs Vileman, Ubers Open, Round 1, Game 1
Celeberty vs Vileman, Ubers Open, Round 1, Game 2

I also like uploading Alternative Ubers content such as Almost Any Ability and STABmons

AAA Ubers vs Shrang
AAA Ubers vs Aidin
Ubers Monotype vs N00b (minitour final)

Standalone Content:

A Video explaining why Shadow Tag makes Chansey unviable in Ubers
A Primal Groudon and Kyogre speculation video, after hearing about the new abilities (I literally only talk about Kyogre for 30 seconds because Primal Kyogre is bad compared to Primal Groudon)

Showdown Lives:

Showcasing Specially Defensive Palkia
Watching Aidin fall in love with DPP

I also upload other, non-competitive stuff, such as a Pokemon Emerald Battle Frontier series, which can be found here

Last edited:
oh, I thought you just had a few things to post. go ahead and make a new thread and I'll change the redirects and stuff;

I didn't know you did commentary on my games (or that you did commentary in the first place). Just watched my game vs El Poeta, I liked it :]

PISTOLERO

I didn't know you did commentary on my games (or that you did commentary in the first place). Just watched my game vs El Poeta, I liked it :]
I tend to do it in the evening when I'm bored or when I come home in the evening, your matches tend to be good ones as they're always fun to watch and commentate. There are never matches during the day UK Time, US evening usually tends to be when they happen, which means pushing 1 am or 2 am for me lol, but i have fun doing it and it's nice to watch good players play good games :). Guessing teams from team preview is fun too lol, I'm glad you enjoy them :]. Even though I don't enjoy playing the tier anymore (hopefully this will change) it's still nice to watch games and write analyses etc :]

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rather than having a ton of small channels where content is spread around (the larger ones don't focus on Ubers alone) we should have an official channel for Smogon Ubers that is maintained by several people. This would make accessing content much easier and convenient as well as condensing all the interest in a single channel which could lead to a larger following. Obviously more ideas can sprout up but I believe at the very minimum such a channel should cover:

~ Tour Battles with Commentary
It may be difficult if not nearly impossible for a single person to record, commentate, and upload all the Ubers tour matches worth watching, thus we could have several good users dedicated to doing this. I think commentary should be recorded live during a match despite the inconvenience; when the commentator does not know the outcome of the match the commentary tends to be of higher quality. Obviously tour battles should be complete both in the recording and in the commentary (team preview to when the match is decided). Tour battles would be the first section on this community channel.

~ Informative Stand Alone Videos
These not only help create a following, but they keep more casual / less experienced players up to speed with what is happening in Ubers and why. One person or perhaps the same team of people should work on these as to keep consistency in style and voice. Topics could range from latest metagame trends, to explaining a suspect, to subjects that are covered in the Ubers forums already such as team building and so on. There could even be sub-sections like "Top 10" videos (shudders) but unlike all the other Pokemon youtubers these would actually be watchable.

~ Friendlies Matches
Often times good matches can occur from friendly matches, and these can be not only enjoyable to watch but informative as well. Matches such as those from Battle of the Week could also be posted here for players who were unable to watch the match live.

~ Ladder Shenanigans
Another section on such a channel could be reserved for incredibly funny matches that occur on the ladder (we would have a quality control team to make sure only the best ones are posted) and I think it would be even more fun if a group of people commentated these as well (in this case it wouldn't be live because duh). In addition there could also be laddering session videos (with quality commentary would be best) with players using sets and Pokemon that would never be considered for a serious team.

There are obviously tons of other possibilities for sections on a Ubers community youtube channel but we really should have something like this if we are going to bother with actually posting videos on a channel.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
No good matches happen on ladder

good idea tho

also I lost my email for my main acc ;-; I'll make a new one some time and we can edit it into the OP.

PISTOLERO

Rather than having a ton of small channels where content is spread around (the larger ones don't focus on Ubers alone) we should have an official channel for Smogon Ubers that is maintained by several people. This would make accessing content much easier and convenient as well as condensing all the interest in a single channel which could lead to a larger following. Obviously more ideas can sprout up but I believe at the very minimum such a channel should cover:

It may be difficult if not nearly impossible for a single person to record, commentate, and upload all the Ubers tour matches worth watching, thus we could have several good users dedicated to doing this. I think commentary should be recorded live during a match despite the inconvenience; when the commentator does not know the outcome of the match the commentary tends to be of higher quality. Obviously tour battles should be complete both in the recording and in the commentary (team preview to when the match is decided). Tour battles would be the first section on this community channel.

These not only help create a following, but they keep more casual / less experienced players up to speed with what is happening in Ubers and why. One person or perhaps the same team of people should work on these as to keep consistency in style and voice. Topics could range from latest metagame trends, to explaining a suspect, to subjects that are covered in the Ubers forums already such as team building and so on. There could even be sub-sections like "Top 10" videos (shudders) but unlike all the other Pokemon youtubers these would actually be watchable.

~ Friendlies Matches
Often times good matches can occur from friendly matches, and these can be not only enjoyable to watch but informative as well. Matches such as those from Battle of the Week could also be posted here for players who were unable to watch the match live.

~ Ladder Shenanigans
Another section on such a channel could be reserved for incredibly funny matches that occur on the ladder (we would have a quality control team to make sure only the best ones are posted) and I think it would be even more fun if a group of people commentated these as well (in this case it wouldn't be live because duh). In addition there could also be laddering session videos (with quality commentary would be best) with players using sets and Pokemon that would never be considered for a serious team.

There are obviously tons of other possibilities for sections on a Ubers community youtube channel but we really should have something like this if we are going to bother with actually posting videos on a channel.
thing is we like having our own little channels :]

all these ideas are great though, i actually have a HUGE stockpile of Ubers material that fits most of these categories, and I'd be more than happy to take care of Ubers Videos in general and host it on my channel (giv me moar viewz plz :D). for example, i worked up an information 18 video series about the different arc types, with each video going through a rundown of the particular type etc etc and their roles and different sets.

also, when i have time i will make a new thread like Melee suggested and write up a huge complete archive for all 3 Ubers generations :]. I will take the thread and project on as my responsibility and update it myself whenever i can/should :], hope that's okay Melee Mewtwo

Last edited:

PISTOLERO

One thing you guys could consider is partnering or something with the official smogon chan and have content shared or whatever the fuck youtube does there / linked. Could help grow and expose both your private chan and the smogon one. Probably a better bet than trying to do one private merged chan.

Check with Ace Emerald since he knows this stuff a lot better than I do and I'm sure he'd be interested in you guys.

Also, thank you lusty you're an angel for taking this over.

~ Friendlies Matches

~ Ladder Shenanigans

In all honestly I do like this idea, a channel that's a hub for ubers content would be really good.

thing is we like having our own little channels :]
I have to agree with that as well though, I enjoy haveing my own channel and being able to upload whatever I want on it. That being said having a channel that is like a hub for smogon ubers content doesn't mean we have to do away with our own small channels. I feel like a channel that is similar to luminose sation in the sense that we'd each pick a day or two of the week and upload a video could be cool, and an occasional group event would be pretty sick. So I feel something like that would work, that way there'd still be a sorta main channel for ubers, and we'd keep all our small channels.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not purposing a hub for content.

If you still don't understand I can explain in even more detail, but having a mess of videos with sub-optimal production values and 5 views each spread across a ton of different obscure channels representing all of Smogon Ubers is silly.

If I wasn't clear enough I'll also say that such a channel should also start from the ground up. Of what is currently out there, it is not nearly as good as it could be: commentaries are incomplete and lackluster, discussion videos are hampered by poor quality, and irrelevant talk (videos should either be dense discussion between multiple players or scripted), quality stand alone original content is non-existent, videos that make links between competitive Pokemon and casual Pokemon are non-existent, and there are no great original video series for Smogon Ubers (Ubers cast is the best there currently is but its not nearly as engaging as it could be and has not been consistently followed up on). For this reason the Ubers community as a whole should collaborate together and develop the best ideas that are worthy of turning into videos; the more people we have involved in this (especially involvement from the most skilled players) the better the content will be. I'm not saying that it would be an easy project, the contrary actually, but it would certainly be feasible if the right people put in the time to help make it happen rather than pointlessly diffuse video creation efforts as things have been currently progressing. Having a single channel that all players are dedicated to maintaining not only has better content, organization, and production value, but also funnels all viewers to a single channel while keeping the followers of that single channel up to date on all content created by the community. Organization and initiative is the difference between a pile of ore and the Eads Bridge.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
there are no great original video series for Smogon Ubers (Ubers cast is the best there currently is but its not nearly as engaging as it could be and has not been consistently followed up on).
**cough** XYUMS **cough**

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi MM tagged me and I'm skimming the thread atm, but I felt like this was the most important point to respond to. So about a year ago, UU tried this. A few users (myself included!) got together and made the account SmogonUU that we could use whatever and however we wanted to make video content. At some point, chaos approached us and asked us why we formed a splinter channel. We talked it out, and he made us understand that splinter channels are just ultimately drawing away from having content that is easier to access for all viewers. Our channel will always be strongest if we can centralize activity.

Obviously if you all want to have your own smaller channels, or a shared Ubers channel, that's your collective business. But I really hope you all will consider working with the official channel. Its really easy to get content up, all you have to do is submit a video file to me, and if the video is good it goes right up! If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact me via PM or tag wherever. Hope this helps!

PS ignore my signature/avatar, its a long story but I swear I'm professional ;_;

I'm not purposing a hub for content.

If you still don't understand I can explain in even more detail, but having a mess of videos with sub-optimal production values and 5 views each spread across a ton of different obscure channels representing all of Smogon Ubers is silly.

If I wasn't clear enough I'll also say that such a channel should also start from the ground up. Of what is currently out there, it is not nearly as good as it could be: commentaries are incomplete and lackluster, discussion videos are hampered by poor quality, and irrelevant talk (videos should either be dense discussion between multiple players or scripted), quality stand alone original content is non-existent, videos that make links between competitive Pokemon and casual Pokemon are non-existent, and there are no great original video series for Smogon Ubers (Ubers cast is the best there currently is but its not nearly as engaging as it could be and has not been consistently followed up on). For this reason the Ubers community as a whole should collaborate together and develop the best ideas that are worthy of turning into videos; the more people we have involved in this (especially involvement from the most skilled players) the better the content will be. I'm not saying that it would be an easy project, the contrary actually, but it would certainly be feasible if the right people put in the time to help make it happen rather than pointlessly diffuse video creation efforts as things have been currently progressing. Having a single channel that all players are dedicated to maintaining not only has better content, organization, and production value, but also funnels all viewers to a single channel while keeping the followers of that single channel up to date on all content created by the community. Organization and initiative is the difference between a pile of ore and the Eads Bridge.
I like the general idea of structured collaboration. Considering the ease and better publicity of using the existing smogon chan, I don't think we need to exactly start from the ground up except in organizing the production of content. As far as that goes, keep the discussion going in this thread (its better than PMs cause anybody can chip in). I guess for starters we need to work out:

- What type of videos need to be made regularly? (stuff like intro to ubers, ladder sessions, tourny commentary, etc maybe?)
- How often do these videos need to be produced?
- Who is available when to help put these together?
- Anybody with fancy editing skills, or otherwise, that could add to the simple record your voice over a video?

There's probably more that ought to be settled but that's off the top of my head.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
- For the first question this is something we would have to decide as a whole, but commentary videos seem as though they will take the least amount of effort and scripted stand alone videos the most. Specifically what types of videos we would start with would needed to be decided by everyone involved.

- Depends on how many people we have and what videos we have decided to make (stuff like tour matches with commentaries happen when they happen while other videos will need to be initiated).

- I would be available to work on such a project a couple hours a day.

- I have about a year and half's worth of editing experience (I use Final Cut X for all my videos) and I have a mic that is actually pretty good.

I think question number three needs to be the first one to be gauged so see if it's even worth continuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)