Simisear (QC 0/3)

Overview
########

• Not very many Pokemon can switch into Simisear if they are slower, and Simisear has a fast Speed stat in NU.
  • Access to Nasty Plot, a great boosting move
  • It's ability Gluttony is useful for SubSalac sets
  • Simisear's low defenses mean it cannot take a hit from other powerful Pokemon
Nasty Plot
########
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Grass Knot
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Rock
ability: Blaze
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

• Grass Knot covers Water, Ground, and Rock Types
  • Nasty Plot boosts Simisear's SpA to dangerously high levels
  • Fire Blast for powerful STAB
  • Hidden Power Rock nails Fire Types, which resist Grass/Fire coverage, and it hits Altaria, who also resists it.

Set Details
========

• EVs for maximum damage and outspeed potential
  • Life Orb for maximum damage
  • Timid nature to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible

Usage Tips
========

• You can switch into a Pokemon that is threatened by Simisear, then Nasty plot
  • Dont switch it in against moves it doesn't resist
  • Dont switch it into Pokemon faster than it

Team Options
========
  • Bulky Water Types that don't take much damage from Grass Knot stop this set, so a grass type such as Vileplume would be useful
  • Pokemon that can defeat Pokemon faster than Simisear via bulk/priority are useful.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Grass Knot
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Knock Off
ability: Blaze
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty

Moves
  • Fire Blast is the STAB of choice on this set, meant for nailing anything that doesn't take a super effective hit from its other moves.
  • Grass Knot is there for the many Water and Ground-Types that populate the ranks of NU such as Barbacle or Carracosta, which both are both 4x weak to Grass Knot.
  • Superpower is there to defeat Pokemon such as Probopass and Bastiodon, which are 4x weak to the move. It can also be used to defeat bulky Normal Types such as Miltank and Lickilicky.
  • Knock Off can defeat other Psychic and Ghost-Types in the tier (also utility).
Set Details
========

• While Blaze is an extremely situational Ability, it is the only option to be used on this set as Simisear does not hold a berry for Gluttony.
  • Life Orb is to maximize damage; Simisear survivability is so low, slapping a Life Orb on it helps it a lot more than it hurts it.
  • The evs are optimized to nab KOs and outspeed, as mentioned earlier, nothing should go into the defenses. A Hasty Nature increases speed while decreasing Defense that it didn't need anyways.
Usage Tips
========

• Do not attempt to switch Simisear into an attack it does not resist, that is death.
  • Just click the move that is most useful against that particular Pokemon and hope to outspeed and KO
  • Simisear should be switched out against fast, offensive, Pokemon such as Kadabra, but if the opposing team carries Stealth Rock it can really hurt it.

Team Options
========

Good teammates for Simisear are Pokemon that can remove Water Types that do not take very much damage from Grass Knot. Some Pokemon that do this effectively are Leafeon and Vileplume. Other good teamates are Rapid Spinners / Defoggers to get rid of the Stealth Rock that it is weak to, and Pokemon that resist Ground and Rock-Type moves.

Other Options
########

• Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast if you don't want a miss to cost you the game, but it generally cannot secure the same KOs that Fire Blast can.
  • Yawn on the mixed set
  • Full Physical Sweeper (Knock Off, Gunk Shot, Brick Break, Shadow Claw, Superpower)
  • Taunt
  • SubSalac + Gluttony

Checks & Counters
########

**Priority**: Simisear really doesn't live many attacks, and priority users can really make a huge dent in it at the least
**Bulky Water Types**: Bulky water types that don't take much from Grass Knot or are facing the set without it can take Simisear's hits and KO back
**Fast Sweepers**: Pokemon faster than it and are sweepers can usually kill it in one hit
**Knock Off**: If the Salac Berry is Knocked Off it can severely weaken the SubSalac set
**Taunt**: This stops the Nasty Plot set from setting up

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Set orders should be switched, imo.

Moves - You mention Delphox, which is in RU anyways. So yeah, take that out.
Team Options - If you're really having problems with Grass-types, Vileplume is the best option. It can also take care of Ground- and Rock-types, which is mentioned in that.

SubSalac - Slash Grass Knot after Focus Blast. Focus Blast is hitting Rock-, Ground-, Steel-, Normal-, and Dark-types super effectively, right? Grass Knot takes care of Rock- and Ground-, as well as the Water-types that presently wall it. Fire Blast already hits Steel-, Normal-, and Dark-types pretty dang hard.

Other Options - Full physical sweeper, I guess. It gets Knock Off, Gunk Shot, Crunch, Brick Break, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw, and Superpower. Even more, it can't be burnt, and that's always nice.
Taunt can go into other options. A Taunt that fast is really nice to stop other setup sweepers, although it's dangerous to use because of how frail it is.

I dunno.

The changes were made. The only problem with Fire/Grass coverage is that all fire types and dragon types wall it, whereas no single type walls fire/fighting coverage.

I feel like Nasty Plot should get its own set and that SubSalac should be moved to other options. Sure Gluttony + Salac Berry is nice and all, but it's a one-time thing that can't always be executed. Nasty Plot sets can set up when they need to and can wield a Life Orb as well. I've messed around with SubSalac and Nasty Plot and always went for Nasty Plot over SubSalac. Speaking of Nasty Plot, I feel like it does need a bigger mention overall because it's Simisear's only viable boosting move and that's more worthy than just a small mention. Maybe change that bullet in Overview to 'somewhat large movepool' 'Nasty Plot enables it to boost its SpA to threatening levels!', something along the lines of that.

Simisear is such an awkward Pokemon, its only niche seems to be in its Speed. But im not sure if the All Out Attacker is really viable in this meta. It has Knock Off and 101 Speed, but its still much weaker than the main All-Out attacker Fire-type, Magmortar. And the other main one lately, Heatmor, can do the whole Knock Off thing better, because its ability isnt ass. I do think the NP set is viable, because its significantly more powerful than Ninetales, while also outspeeding Specs Typhlosion.

I'd also really recommend you use Simisear more, munchyoshi. Because your usage tips are really lacking. I didnt learn much of anything reading them. Usage tips should be specific things.

And finally, dont talk about Gluttony in the overview if its only in OO. Blaze could be mentioned a bit though

Yeah can I just abandon this, I haven't really given this much thought since a while ago and am kind of busy to playtest Simisear, someone can just take this over, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)