Ball Cup

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Approved by The Immortal

Welcome to Ball Cup! I came up with the idea after playing some Challenge Cup and having Pokeballs as my items and thinking "There is no use for them" So this Other Meta will introduce poke balls through all generations and each one having an effect (Similar to some items currently in use with any metagame but some have new additions to them)

Below are the Pokeballs and their effect on the user holding the item!

Pokeball - Leftovers clone
Great Ball - Increases Move Power by x1.2
Ultra Ball - Increases Move Accuracy by x1.2
Master Ball - Critical Hit Ratio is increased by 1
Safari Ball - Increases all stats by x1.2 but adds truant effect
Level Ball - This pokemon’s moves will always go last
Lure Ball - Water Type’s have their speed increased by x1.2
Moon Ball - If the holder is a Fairy-type, all of its stats get increased by x1.1
Friend Ball - This pokemon’s happiness is increased by 50
Love Ball - If the opposing pokemon is infatuated, moves do x1.5 more power.
Heavy Ball - Increases the Pokemon's weight by 50%
Fast Ball - When switched in, the pokemon’s first move will always go first
Sport Ball - All Physical Attacks get x1.5 but has Special Attacks x0.5
Premier Ball - All Special Attacks get x1.5 but has Physical Attacks x0.5
Repeat Ball - Moves that hit multiple times have their power increased by 5
Timer Ball - After being in for 5 turns, this pokemon’s speed stat is increased to +2
Nest Ball - Same effect as Eviolite
Net Ball - Bug types have increased special defence by x1.2
Dive Ball - Prevents Burns on the user
Luxury Ball - Increases Defence and Special Defence by x1.5, lowers Attack and Special Attack x0.5
Heal Ball - Restored ¼ of health when switched out
Quick Ball - Speed is increased by x1.2
Dusk Ball - If the pokemon is a Ghost or Dark type, it has increased special attack x1.2
Cherish Ball - Increases Defence by x1.2
Park Ball - Special Effects on moves are increased by x1.2
Dream Ball - Move power is increased by x1.5 but has a 20% chance to fall asleep

Now with Ball Cup come some rules so please read below!

1. No Ubers
2. All standard OU rules apply.
3. Item Clause

Below if the Ban List for Ball Cup

No Ban List yet however after testing expect for something to appear in here.

Below are some of the threats I have included to give you an idea of what you can expect.
Gengar @ Park Ball
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ominous Wind
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse

Gengar becomes quite a threat thanks to its now pseud-Serene Grace which gives Ominous Wind a reasonable chance to boost all stats. From here, Gengar is very strong. Sludge Bomb is very likely to Poison threats - wearing down enemies slowly to help its sweep. Ice Punch is for the chance to freeze - not so much for power, and immobilize the opponent to fish for Ominous Wind boosts. Shadow Ball is a more powerful STAB move and has a nice chance to lower Special Defense, although Dark Pulse has the merit of flinch haxing to death.

Blissey (F) @ Cherish Ball
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss

Blissey has never had the Defence boost that it desperately needes so with the addition to the Cherish call it increases its Max Defence stat by x1.2. With the bulkiness with the new Defence and already good Special Defence it can do some serious Toxic stalling whilst replenishing its health with the combination of Wish and Protect. Seismic Toss is a great move also to deal more hazarding hits to pokemon that are immune to Toxic like Poison and Steel-types.

Shuckle @ Luxury Ball
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shell Smash
- Infestation
- Rest
- Toxic

Shuckle has the highest Defences in the whole game. With Luxury Ball increasing these by 50% shuckle will just simply be a tank that cannot be stopped. Contrary and Shell Smash combination increase Shuckle's Defence even further and being even more bulky. The only way that it could possibly be stopped is if Toxic has hit it followed by a taunt so it cannot rest.

Cloyster @ Repeat Ball
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Cloyster on its own is pretty scary to face once it has a Shell Smash in its hands. However with the Repeat Ball increasing Multi-hit moves by 5 power each will shred through teams, again a fast and Special Attacking pokemon is needed to take out Cloyster. With Access to Icicle Spear and Rock Blast being 30 Power now it can do serious damage especially paired up with Skill Link hitting 5 times.

Malamar @ Master Ball
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Substitute

Malamar is not a common pokemon to use in battle, but when it holds a Master Ball and with two moves being Psycho Cut and Night Slash with increased critical hit ratio paired up with Contrary and Super Power can do huge amounts of damage to the opponents. Substitute is there to avoid status conditions like Burn and Paralysis.

So this is Ball Cup I hope you enjoy the concept of it!

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Fast ball is so overcentralizing. Makes revenge killing wayyyy too easy.

Premier ball and sport ball, as well as the luxury ball, are grotesquely overpowered in this metagame compared to the rest of the items.

So Nest Ball provides an Eviolite boost for fully evolved Pokemon? I was a little confused by "doesn't not work."

Anyway, seems to me that everything will want to run Knock Off...

Sport and Premier Ball basically replace Choice Band and Specs, provided you're not running mixed.

Is there any reason to not use these on a non-mixed attacker?

"Sport Ball - All Physical Attacks get x1.5 but has Special Attacks x0.5
Premier Ball - All Special Attacks get x1.5 but has Physical Attacks x0.5"

Is there any reason to not use these on a non-mixed attacker?

"Sport Ball - All Physical Attacks get x1.5 but has Special Attacks x0.5
Premier Ball - All Special Attacks get x1.5 but has Physical Attacks x0.5"
Yes, there is the opportunity cost of not using the other OP balls. Granted Item Clause is in effect anyway, so you can just stick those on another teammate without losing anything.

I really like the idea here, but the power level of the ball effects varies wildly right now. Some are pitifully weak while others are incredibly strong.
With the Item Clause, this is a good item to have in the game.
Out classes all the Plates and Muscle Band/Wise Glasses, but those usually weren't good most of the time anyway.
So a Focus Blast becomes about as accurate as Fire Blast? I'm in!
There are already 2 items that do this.
Not worth it. EVER.
This item is outclassed by speed lowering items, since there are advantages from lowering your speed (Faster in TR, stronger Gyro Ball) where as there are no similar advantages to lowering your priority.
What's the point of the Lure Ball if Quick Ball does the exact same thing for everyone?
Moon Ball - If the holder is a Fairy-type, all of its stats get increased by x1.1
Excluding HP of course?
Happyness is Maxed by default in the Teambuilder, so this doesn't really do much.
No need for Choice Scarfs, Fast Balls cover all of your revenge killing needs.
See above.
Skill Link+Repeat Ball=150 BP moves.
Timer Ball - After being in for 5 turns, this pokemon’s speed stat is increased to +2
This is interesting. I like it.
P2 + Dusclops core FTW!
I can't really think of anything that would value this over Luxury Ball or other defense boosting items.
I kinda like this one. Slap this on something that resists Water and let it switch into Scald all day long.
Luxury Ball - Increases Defence and Special Defence by x1.5, lowers Attack and Special Attack x0.5
Blissy says hi. Also Trick users.
2 Words. Momentum Stall.
Dusk Ball - If the pokemon is a Ghost or Dark type, it has increased special attack x1.2
Entirely outclassed by both Premier Ball and Great Ball.
So to be clear, the secondary effect chance of a move like Iron Head would be boosted from 30% to 36%? Because that isn't much.
Dream Ball - Move power is increased by x1.5 but has a 20% chance to fall asleep
Insomnia/Vital Spirit FTW!

Smh stall is really good in this namely regen cores such as alomomoongus:
Alomomola/Amoonguss @ Park Ball / luxury ball
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold
- Wish/Spore
- Scald/Giga Drain
- Protect/Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off/Hidden Power Fire
This is a real boon to stall as it can come in and get SO MUCH HEALTH it is quite insane. Zodiax please add this to the threat list :V
I meant heal ball *_*

Last edited:

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Smh stall is really good in this namely regen cores such as alomomoongus:
Alomomola/Amoonguss @ Park Ball
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold
- Wish/Spore
- Scald/Giga Drain
- Protect/Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off/Hidden Power Fire
This is a real boon to stall as it can come in and get SO MUCH HEALTH it is quite insane. Zodiax please add this to the threat list :V
This is a great set! Once I am at a stable computer (because this one is trash) I will add it on there!

Zodiax

not this
I just realized that this with a regenerator user restores 58% upon switching out
Hello thanks for pointing this out. One thing which has not been sorted out yet is a ban list and once something seems to be too over powered I will sort it out and put it on the ban list. But I just want people to know the general idea of this other meta and want to explain that things will change if something feels like it should.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sport Ball, Premier Ball, and Luxury Ball are pretty much the go-to items now. Luxury Ball blows Eviolite out of the water (Blissey immediately comes to mind), and a free Choice item boost from the Sport and Premier Balls with no consequence for purely physical or special attackers respectively is just crazy. A free 1.5 boost to to any stat for any Pokemon other than using Eviolite is pretty much why Soul Dew is banned in OU, so I feel that a nerf is needed, such as bringing the multiplier down to 1.3.

I think this is really cool idea for a metagame! It allows for some really cool strategies! For instance, here is a three mon core I came up with:

Alakazam @ Dream Ball
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Seismic Toss
- Trick

I originally wanted to use a dream ball + insomnia combo. Then I realized that all legal Pokemon with insomnia suck. Thus, this set was born. Synchronize is so that falling asleep is much less threatening to you, and even threatening to the opponent! You can also trick it to a defensive Pokemon to cripple them.

Celebi @ Fast Ball
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Heal Bell
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt

Celebi here is to be a bulky revenge killer, and wake up Alakazam. While Celebi doesn't have the greatest physical moves, having a hard hitting U-Turn that always goes first is pretty cool.

Scrafty @ Heal Ball
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Substitute

Finally Scrafty. Scrafty is here to patch up the rest of the cores weakness. A bulky attacker with access to a sudo regenerator, while still keeping it's ability is pretty awesome if you ask me.

I originally wanted to use a dream ball + insomnia combo. Then I realized that all legal Pokemon with insomnia suck. Thus, this set was born. Synchronize is so that falling asleep is much less threatening to you, and even threatening to the opponent! You can also trick it to a defensive Pokemon to cripple them.
I'm pretty sure self-inflicted status conditions do not trigger Synchronize. Also, some Pokemon to think about with Vital Spirit are Primeape and Electivire.

Primeape @ Dream Ball
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Assuming Dream Ball effect the base power of the moves, here are some calcs.
252 Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 612-722 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Primeape Stone Edge vs. +1 4 HP / 252 Def Shuckle: 80-96 (43.9 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Electivire @ Dream Ball
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop
- Iron Tail
- Thunderbolt

252 Atk Electivire Cross Chop vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 380-448 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Electivire Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola: 348-410 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Electivire Iron Tail vs. +1 4 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 82-98 (45 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Hey, on the Friend Ball deal, make it up the base damage for Return (and lower Frustration) by whatever damage 50 friendship does (found out it's 20), so that would give an advantage in some way (of course, with less than 1.2x damage, you should up the increased friendship)

I'm pretty sure self-inflicted status conditions do not trigger Synchronize. Also, some Pokemon to think about with Vital Spirit are Primeape and Electivire.

Primeape @ Dream Ball
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Assuming Dream Ball effect the base power of the moves, here are some calcs.
252 Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 612-722 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Primeape Stone Edge vs. +1 4 HP / 252 Def Shuckle: 80-96 (43.9 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Electivire @ Dream Ball
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop
- Iron Tail
- Thunderbolt

252 Atk Electivire Cross Chop vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 380-448 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Electivire Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola: 348-410 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Electivire Iron Tail vs. +1 4 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 82-98 (45 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Oh yeah, I forgot about vital spirit! Also, I thought synchronize not applying to self inflicted status only applied to moves, but apparently not. Huh. Thanks for the subjections though!

The 'threats and their sets' section could definitely be improved.
Park Ball Gengar has a 12% chance to boost stats instead of 10%. Prettt much useless.Luxury ball Blissey completely and severely outclasses cherish ball Blissey. Repeat Ball cloyster kind of looks good on paper, but Sport ball will give a much greater benefit. IMO, Sport/Premier balls need to be nerfed to 1.3x, Repeat Ball should be buffed to +6/+7, Luxury needs to be nerfed to 1.2x/1.3x for both stats, and other balls (moon, safari, etc) need to be tweaked. How has no one talked about surprise quick balls to give much needed speed increases to certain Pokemon?

Yay that rivalry now has a use
Pyroar @ Love Ball
Modest/Timid Nature
Fire Blast
Hyper Voice
Dark Pulse
Attract

With Rivalry drop attracted pokemon get hit for ~187.5% it's regular damage

why does the shuckle set in the op have only 4 hp investment? you're going to get much better returns, relatively speaking, from investing in hp than in defenses since shuck's hp is so much lower than its defenses. the only time it makes sense to not fully invest in hp on a defensive mon is if the hp stat is much higher relative to defenses (such as alomomola), or if they're using draining moves/pain split

Item clause, so makes sense.

Expert Belts are for suckers.

85 Accuracy or more=perfect accuracy. Suddenly all those obnoxious 85 Accuracy moves that are really powerful can be made to have no cost. Pretty good, though it has to compete with some crazy stuff here.

Item clause, so being a Scope Lens clone makes sense.

Great for Slaking, and the fact that it's a weak Scarf, Band/Specs, and Eviolite all in one is actually interesting.

I realize the Lagging Tail not only exists but has various clones, but as far as I'm aware there's very little competitive (Or non-competitive, for that matter) use for the behavior.

OK. Weak Choice Scarf with no disadvantages but locked to a type. Why not.

A bit niche, but since it has no disadvantage for the things that can use it, it's pretty good, and making it even a little more powerful would invalidate stuff like the Expert Belt on Fairies. Neat.

Assuming that actually takes them past standard Happiness cap... um... well, 122 BP Return is... not... completely useless?...

... honestly, an item whose only usage is to boost a single move of a crappy type most Pokemon don't have STAB for needs more than a (Less than) 20% boost, especially when it has to compete with the Sport Ball.

Probably not enough of a boost to justify trying to employ Attract when the opponent isn't necessarily matching gender, can usually switch out to end the effect, and you're committing a move slot and your item slot to this whole thing. I like the idea, but I have difficulty imagining it ever being worthwhile.

Heavy Ball - Increases the Pokemon's weight by 50%
Thematically appropriate, and maybe even useful to some Pokemon sometimes.

Who needs Fake Out?

Choice Bands are for morons.

Choice Specs are for idiots.

Pseudo-Skill Link. Pretty good for existing Skill Linkers like Cloyster? At least as an option when you want something else to have the Sport Ball.

This is sort of weird, because the kind of Pokemon that would manage to stay in for five consecutive turns probably either has Speed taken care of on its own or doesn't really want to be fast. Also, the language here, strictly speaking, is saying that for instance +6 Speed would drop to +2 Speed at the five-turn checkpoint.

As in literally it's a second Eviolite or as in it provides the boost of Eviolite but for any Pokemon that wants it?

Eeeeeh.

A very specific niche, but one that can potentially be worth covering for a physical attacker who lacks Guts. Burn really is a severe problem for physical attackers.

Well, Eviolite Chansey just lost its place in the meta. Make way for Luxury Ball Blissey!

Yikes. Healing on anything. (Except Megas)

Well, this makes Lure Ball only relevant because item clause.

Only really worth it because item clause (Premier Ball), but sure why not.

Probably not going to see use all that often when there's Luxury Balls for anything that really really wants to wall.

Assuming you mean the chance of side effects to occur is increased by 20%, rather than some bizarre concept where Flinches are 20% more Flinchy (???), this is a very tiny bonus only likely to be appreciated by Pokemon that already have Serene Grace, and maybe not even them. Also having Togekiss' Air Slash have a greater than 2/3 chance of flinching the target just makes me sad.

Very nifty, and makes Insomnia/Vital Spirit less overwhelmingly niche. You can also use it just as a gamble: more power, risk of falling asleep. Is this chance of falling asleep after each move, before each move, at the end of any turn?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)