Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V3) (Rank changes are over until ORAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 26608-> A-
Just an amazing mon right now. Birds are as popular as ever and mega man just destroys them, as well as being an amazing offensive check to thundy. It provides momentum, utility, speed and coveredge and threatens all offensive and balanced teams. Its got heaps of pros over raikou and deserves to be ranked alongside mega zam and mega aero.
Just wanted to second this, I've been using M-Manectric for a week or two and it's much more useful than I thought. It's great against offense, being hard to switch into, and Volt-switch is great at gaining momentum. Thunder/Fire/Ice coverage is really nice and even though it lacks a bit of power, it's enough to force switches and nab KO's and 2HKO's on SE hits. You can spam volt switch pretty safely too, as it's immunities hate HP Ice, Garchomp and Gliscor (Spdef) take 96% and 70% minimum respectively and so Manectric isn't scared by them. Another option is Twave, which coupled with Intimidate and Manectric's high speed, can act as a pseudo-Thundurus to stop sweepers or mons such as M-Cham and M-Garde.

It's biggest problem is it's not good against stall and lost opportunity cost by nature of being a Mega-Evolution itself. It has a notable niche though, as being a fast intimidator that does well against offense and flyspam.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My problem with Mega-Manectric is that it probably has the greatest opportunity cost of any mega. Teams that use MManectric are usually hyper offense or in some cases bulky offense, and these teams often pack either a wallbreaker or a sweeper, since these are roles that are not easily filled by a non-mega and are definitely worth the slot. And while MManectric is certainly hold a very solid niche, being a great check to birds and Greninja, and being effectively the fastest nonscarfed Pokemon in OU (MZam and rarely run +Speed) it does hold a lot competition from Raikou who, while not quite as good at checking Pinsir and especially Talon (who can, if it's the SD variant, outspeed and Flare Blitz it easily), is a better answer to Thundurus (at least post-mega) since it has superior special bulk, and can also hold an item to either increase its power or special bulk. It's also more versatile, being able to run a CM set, which is a factor.
I do realise that MManectric is better at what it does than Raikou, and that the extra speed and ability to properly check Talonflame and Greninja is huge, but forfeiting a mega slot is a pretty big price to pay when Raikou does MManectric's job only marginally worse. And it really doesn't help that the kind of support a fast electric type provides is exactly the support a bunch of Megas (Hera Garde Medi Pinsir etc) really love. If MMane wasn't a Mega than moving it to A- would be an easy decision to make, but since it is, I think B+ is fine for it.

Last edited:
There's also the fact that while MManectric is good vs. flyspam, the same can't be said for the other popular offensive playstyle, sand. All of the most common sand Pokemon, whether it be Tyranitar, Excadrill, AV Azumarill, Garchomp/MGarchomp can beat MMan 1v1. Flamethrower doesn't OHKO Exca, and running Overheat gives your opponent a free switch into anything. I also think MMan is fine in B+.

I'm like afraid to bring this up even, but has anyone ever considered using Stoutland this gen? Sand Rush is in fact a good ability as illustrated by Excadrill, which makes Stoutland a good revenge killer in theory. As far as stats go, 110 Atk is good and 85/90/90 defenses are reasonable. It's got good coverage moves like Wild Charge, Fire Fang, Superpower and a utility move in Pursuit.

Worth ranking y/n?

I'm like afraid to bring this up even, but has anyone ever considered using Stoutland this gen? Sand Rush is in fact a good ability as illustrated by Excadrill, which makes Stoutland a good revenge killer in theory. As far as stats go, 110 Atk is good and 85/90/90 defenses are reasonable. It's got good coverage moves like Wild Charge, Fire Fang, Superpower and a utility move in Pursuit.

Worth ranking y/n?
I don't really think it's worth ranking considering Excadrill is around, who has superior typing and power. While Stoutland has great coverage, even with a choice band equipped it fails to 2HKO many common walls. Choice Band Adamant Fire Fang doesn't even OHKO Ferrothorn. If you're using Sand Rush though, you'd probably be using a Life Orb, and with this item equipped a lot of offensive Pokemon can switch in, take a hit, and KO back. It's simply not powerful enough to be considered for a rank imo.

Here's my breakdown of Mega Manectric.
Pros:
  • Lightning quick (pun intended)
  • Electric STAB is great
  • Access to Flamethrower
  • Intimidate gives it more room to operate, and makes it among the strongest HO checks to BirdSpam out there
  • Volt Switch helps it pull it's weight even when the match-up isn't optimal
  • Prediction and appropriate teammates allow it being walled by things to be less of an issue
  • Gets frailer things in safely
  • Not hit SE by any priority, and all OU priority is physical so Intimidate helps there
  • Hits Gliscor, Lando-T, Skarm and Ferrothron hard, can open holes for things walled by those four
  • The only fast VoltTurn Mega available, the only other two that can even fit that branch of offense are slow and bulky (Amphy and Scizor)
Cons:
  • Has to run Timid, unlike Mega Aero and Mega Zam. Loses out on some power there.
  • 135 Special Attack is underwhelming by Mega standards
  • Hidden Power Ice is weak against things it not SE against, and even then 4x effectiveness is really the only way you are OHKOing anything with it
  • Has issues with a few common mons, most notably Chansey and Tyranitar
Now, Mega Manectric is only truly walled by bulky Ground types due to the nature of Volt Switch. It can always cause chip damage while switching when faced against something that has decent special bulk, and that has two side effects. One, 3HKOs become 2HKOs after enough (sometimes as little as one or two) hits, and two, you can gain a favorable match-up, giving you the upper hand with regards to momentum. Mega Man does need a decent amount of support in the form of hazard control, and you also need to think about what will be coming in after you Volt Switch out. A strong Fighting type like Conk or Terrakion is almost a requirement due to TTar and Chansey being common switch-ins. A strong Water or Grass type like Ches, Azu or Keldeo is also almost required to deal with Hippo and a few other bulky Ground types that give it trouble. Now, it doesn't need support from specific Pokemon, but it does need support from certain types to function to it's full potential.

Also, it loses a lot outside of a dedicated VoltTurn team. If you are looking for a pro-offense Mega and really aren't thinking about or don't want to use a switching move, you are probably better off using Mega Aero or Mega Zam. The other two also give more upfront power in comparison because they can afford to run Adamant/Modest respectively. On one hand, Manectric sets the tone for a whole style of offense. On the other hand, there are better options if you are using it outside of that one branch of offense. Not to push my own team, but this Mega Manectric RMT showcases the one-of-a-kind role he can hold in an offense. No other Mega can really fill that role. However, being specific to a certain play style (even a very good one) limits its overall viability. It's S-Rank as a VoltTurn mon, but overall it fits right on the border between B+ and A-. I'd be fine with leaving it in B+ and making it that standard that things are held to to move up to A- (aka is this mon better/more viable than Mega Manectric?).

(Everything you said)
I agree, there's a lot of competition for a Mega-slot, and when you look at a mon like Raikou who can do a lot of what M-Manectric does without the mega slot, it makes it difficult to warrant.

So I'll quickly outline what would make it worth using over Raikou.

- Enough speed to revenge/force out Talonflame, Greninja and Scarftar (you can only Intimidate+volt switch Scarftar though)
- Powerful fire coverage a la Overheat, Flamethrower etc.
- Intimidate, which is the main reason. It has so many uses, forcing mons out, stopping sweeps, etc. You can abuse it pretty safely with volt switch or even just hard switching.

It doesn't seem like much, but it really does have a lot of utility in practice. It just does a lot more work in that one teamslot. I understand that Raikou has it's own things it can do, like CM, but that's a different role and can't really be compared to M-Manectric's job.

EDIT: Response to you Celtic

Now, Mega Manectric is only truly walled by bulky Ground types due to the nature of Volt Switch. It can always cause chip damage while switching when faced against something that has decent special bulk, and that has two side effects. One, 3HKOs become 2HKOs after enough (sometimes as little as one or two) hits, and two, you can gain a favorable match-up, giving you the upper hand with regards to momentum. Mega Man does need a decent amount of support in the form of hazard control, and you also need to think about what will be coming in after you Volt Switch out. A strong Fighting type like Conk or Terrakion is almost a requirement due to TTar and Chansey being common switch-ins. A strong Water or Grass type like Ches, Azu or Keldeo is also almost required to deal with Hippo and a few other bulky Ground types that give it trouble. Now, it doesn't need support from specific Pokemon, but it does need support from certain types to function to it's full potential.
I disagree with some things you say here. There aren't really any grounds that can counter Manectric outside Spdef Hippowdon and Mamoswine above 70%, as the rest are easy 1-2HKO's due to 4x Ice weakness and slowness. Once Mamo is below 70% it dies to Overheat and deals a pittance with Ice shard in return.

I don't think you need a Fighting-type, one really good team-mate is Lando-I, since it's immune to Ground, and can demolish Chansey, Ttar and M-Venusaur. Manectric returns the favour by destroying Greninja and Talonflame who stop Lando-I from cleaning house. Actually Lando-T is another nifty partner who can form a double intimidate volt-turn core, and still handles Chansey and Ttar for M-Manectric.

Also idk what you mean about needing a decent amount of support, sure it wants to enter + exit battle a lot, but so does Greninja, Talonflame, Latis and it's no weaker to rocks then they are. And you don't care about burns or paralysis since you're an special-attacking electric type that volt switches 1st turn usually anyway, so you don't hang around to take damage. Manectric dosen't strictly need any support, but it's nice to have a ground immunity.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Isn't the whole point of Flyspam to exploit teams that rely on Mega Mane/Raikou/thundy to deal with Flying types? It's so easy to wear down versus those teams because it can barely even switch in once to Talon/Pinsir and can't even switch in on Raptor for fear of Double Edge. I wouldn't really say that it beats Flying spam, and I wouldn't say that is a reason for it to rise. That being said, I think it's really effective versus offense, I'm just not sure how good pure offense is compared to bulky offense right now. Still, I like Mane a lot. Just don't think it should be considered a good answer to flyspam at all.

Reg Tyranitar A -> A+. It's better than it's mega and should be a rank higher. It's both the best Sand Inducer and pursuit trapper in the tier. It's very customizable and easy to fit on teams. It has it's flaws like it's shitty defensive typing and speed, but I feel like they hold it back from being S instead of A+.

Kingdra should be moved from B ---> B+

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Agility

Let us consider this basic, Smogon recommended CritDra set. We all know and established the fact that with the Sniper + Scope Lens + Focus Energy combo Kingdra becomes a big menace to the OU even OHKO & 2HKO pokemon it shouldn't.

252+ SpA Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 160-190 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO

This with paired with a Speed Boost Baton Pass Scolipede will result in Kingdra out speeding too many things (Even some Scarfed pokemon if it's 4x).
Also with good prediction from the Trainer's part and Kingdra switches in on a Fire or a Rock pokemon (something it's resistant against), it is free to set up a Focus Energy and even sometimes an Agility. This will result in Kin

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Isn't the whole point of Flyspam to exploit teams that rely on Mega Mane/Raikou/thundy to deal with Flying types? It's so easy to wear down versus those teams because it can barely even switch in once to Talon/Pinsir and can't even switch in on Raptor for fear of Double Edge. I wouldn't really say that it beats Flying spam, and I wouldn't say that is a reason for it to rise. That being said, I think it's really effective versus offense, I'm just not sure how good pure offense is compared to bulky offense right now. Still, I like Mane a lot. Just don't think it should be considered a good answer to flyspam at all.
Mega Manectric is a good answer to flying spam because it can revenge kill every single Flying team in those teams, not because it can switch into them. The point is not to have Mega Manectric as your switch-in to Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, the point is to put a lot of offensive pressure and hopefully keep SR up, so that the two Flying-types get little switch-in and set up chances. And when they do get in or set up, you can just sacrifice something, and then force them out or revenge kill them with Mega Manectric. That's on HO teams.

On balanced teams, Mega Manectric is used more like a fast non choiced revenge killer than can revenge kill Mega Pinsir, as Talonflame is usually dealt with Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Slowbro, or Tyranitar, all common Pokemon on balanced team.

Mega Manectric is a good answer to flying spam because it can revenge kill every single Flying team in those teams, not because it can switch into them. The point is not to have Mega Manectric as your switch-in to Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, the point is to put a lot of offensive pressure and hopefully keep SR up, so that the two Flying-types get little switch-in and set up chances. And when they do get in or set up, you can just sacrifice something, and then force them out or revenge kill them with Mega Manectric. That's on HO teams.

On balanced teams, Mega Manectric is used more like a fast non choiced revenge killer than can revenge kill Mega Pinsir, as Talonflame is usually dealt with Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Slowbro, or Tyranitar, all common Pokemon on balanced team.
On that note I'd say it's worth mentioning that Manectric beats/forces out a lot of defoggers and spinners like Skarm, Scizor, Mandibuzz, Starmie and Excadrill (outside of sand). The Lati's get dented by HP Ice, but will KO you.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I'm going to make a nomination that's probably going to be controversial, and I'm not entirely comfortable with it myself, but I think Ferrothorn should be dropped down to A.

Now, let me make this clear : Ferrothorn is a great wall. It has a fantastic typing, a very useful ability, it deals with a ton of stuff, has really good utility, and fits on a lot of teams very well. However, there is one big problem with Ferrothorn that no other A+ rank really shares, and which bothers me a lot, and that it's very easy to take advantage of. Because while it walls half of the metagame, there are also quite a few Pokemon that can put it in a really bad position. Pokemon, such as Mega-Heracross, Mega-Medicham, Mega-Charizard-Y, Landorus-I, basically most wallbreakers can scare it away, and it doesn't help that tease Pokemon also threatens whatever switches in with a lot of damage. Some of these are also known to carry Substitute which makes them even harder to switch out of. Sure, Ferrothorn can Twave them on the switch. But what if it doesn't? You can't perfectly predict what will switch in and when, so it's very easy to find yourself in a nasty situation against these wallbreakers. And yes, it can Protect on MMedi's HJK. But MMedi can also Sub on the Protect. It all boils down to prediction, but if you make one wrong play you put the rest of your team in danger.

Ferrothorn is pretty much the definition of a double edged sword, and this especially shows up in teambuilding. Whenever I decide put Ferrothorn on a team, I suddenly need something that can switch into Landorus, Heatran, MMedi, MHera, etc... otherwise, I'm going to risk losing something every time I have to sand Ferro in. This is all very hard to fit one team, to the point where I become reluctant to use Ferrothorn no matter how many threats it walls. And it really doesn't help that a lot of Pokemon it would be able to beat (Greninja, Latis, Jirachi,) tend to carry coverage to beat it. Oh, and the ubiquity of Magnezone really makes life hard for Ferrothorn too. And unlike Skarm, it needs its leftovers too much to really be able to afford Shed Shell.

There's also the fact that the A+ rank is really, really strong right now. I'm not kidding when I say that every A+ rank besides Talonflame, MDos, YZard and maybe MHera I could conceivably see in S, and Ferrothorn isn't quite at that level.

I honestly think Ferrothron is on the same level as Slowbro. Both wall a large portion of the metagame, are very easy to fit on teams, and are very hard to wear down, but both can give free turns to very dangerous stuff. They have TWave which lets them play around this somewhat, but can still find themselves being a liability for their team if they find themselves facing these threats, no matter how useful they are in the long run. They're very comparable in many ways. So yeah, I feel Ferrothorn should be moved to A, at least until the metagame stops being so hostile to it.

Last edited:

RichieTheGarchomp

Banned deucer.
MMan is good. It's not the next big thing, but it isn't complete shit either. The few major flaws of it is that I think it is somewhat weak. 135 SpA isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it's not good. It's bulk is meh but it will survive a hit or two. It also is outsped by Scarf users, but Scarfmons have decreased in usage.
However; it has notable niches. It out speeds multiple threats and walls most of the meta. Ferrothorn is out? Flamethrower. Lando T is out (hopefully below half health) use HP ice. Every viable Water Type, 2HKOed by TBolt.
It is also bird spam check. That's easy to explain,though.
Sadly it's big problem is I think it's a waste of a mega. If you need a mega with good attack and speed with an amazing move pool, run Aerodactyl. Then you can run Rhypherior for bird spam if you need one.
All in all, even with its notable niches, I think it's o.k at B+ for now.
Edit. What am I thinking? This is A- at best.

Last edited:
Doesn't being able to break stall and neuter physical attackers simultaneously qualify as having more than one role?

Mew can absolutely switch into a lot of strong physical attacks. I mean, he can't stop Mega Charizard X, and you can't switch him into a Mega Heracross Pin Missile, but the vast majority of offensive threats won't be able to 2HKO Mew. Mons that are slower than Mew can't get off a 2nd attack without being burned, and there aren't many physical attackers faster than Mew which can 2HKO it.

Part of what gives a Pokemon an "A rank" is the ability to check a large portion of the metagame without requiring team support. That's exactly what Mew does. It checks a huge portion of the metagame, and it requires no team support in order to do its thing. And that's just with the Will-O-Wisp moveset. It can take physical hits, break stalling, force switches, inflict burn and knock off items. Or you can forego the option to knock off items and keep momentum, with U-turn or Volt Switch. Its options are just so vast. What gives Mew an extra boost is the fact that it can still run many other movesets effectively, making it not nearly as predictable as many other Mons.

In any case, I'm not going to continue with my argument, because given the fact that 6 people liked your comment in a short period of time, clearly my opinion is unpopular.
While new is good, the powercreep is really the name of the current meta. It can't really check any of the scarier sweepers, such as charizard, pinsir, sub gyara, dd mttar, it also does not do wonders against sand offens, though burning exca is huge. It does do a good job in breaking stall, and it checks a good portion of the meta, which is why it is and should stay A, but I just find it a lot less useful in general than most other A+ mons, which all just seem to have more general usefulness.

Oh, I was totally unaware that Mew for A+ has already been the subject of debate. Is that something I would be able to find in this thread? But yeah, if it was just recently debated, then sorry for bringing it up again so soon.

I think the main reason I decided to make an argument for it is because I was just having incredible success with it. I have a team that got to the 1700s in the ladder (the highest I've ever gotten) and Mew was consistently my team MVP. I find there's almost never a match in which it isn't extremely useful, and it's pretty much a godsend against tough stall teams.
Every Pokemon can be useful on select teams, that does not mean they are more useful in general, and sometimes a certain set can just do wonders on a team needing it, my best team for instance contain a rain dance | tail glow | surf | psychic manaphy, but that does not mean it is overall a good mon.

I'm not trying to promote manaphy, or calling it as useful as mew, but neither am I going to belive mew will ever be as useful as the current A+ mons.

If I have written new instead of mew anywhere, I apologize.

I will once again talk about good ol' Mega Manectric. I completely disagree with the notion of Mega Manectric being an inconsistent Flying Spam check, it is in fact one of the best offensive Flying Spam checks in the game, being able to outpace every single Pokémon on these teams, nerf their Attack with Intimidate and just Thunderbolt or even Volt Switch them. What mainly makes Mega Manectric so great at checking Flying Spam is that with these traits comes a beautiful base 135 Speed stat, which allows Thunderdog to outpace just about every single Pokémon on the playstyle aside from Scarf Staraptor, including Mega Aerodactyl. When people say its base 135 Special Attack is low, I just don't know what they're trying to prove, since it has exactly the same power as the rare Sash Alakazam, which isn't considered weak in the slightest. It's pretty strong for a non-Scarf attacker of its Speed, to be perfectly honest. Mega Manectric brings a whole lot of utility just on its own, so I don't quite it believe it faces competition for a Mega slot, at least not on Hyperoffense teams. It can beat a large slew of common threats with the combination of its STABs, coverage, power and Speed: a notable trait is that Mega Manectric is one of the safest switch-ins to any Mega Scizor variant that hasn't boosted yet and defensive variants stand basically no chance against it.
Its flaws are the aforementioned competition for a Mega slot, but again, this is highly dependent on the team it needs to fit on, as well as its overall frailty, especially on the special side. Its 105 pre-Mega Speed is also not exactly the best, but it's not exactly horrendous, either, considering the many Pokémon commonly run these days that have 100 or less Speed.
I do believe Mega Manectric has what it takes to be A-, but I do understand why it's in B+.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so I feel like 90% of you are viewing Mega Manectric the wrong way. Its not a nuke made for blasting through teams if it gets a switch in. Megaman was designed to rack up chip damage with Volt Switch and, with its amazing coverage and speed, clean up a weakened team or allow a sweeper to. It also has the amazing utility as an offensive Bird check and it beats dangerous mons to offensive and balanced teams like Keldeo and Thund-I. Its only notable flaws are using the mega slot and having difficulty switching in due to low bulk which Intimidate mitigates somewhat (I know there are few more flaws but they arent very defining). Overall it is literally the definition of an A- rank, some flaws but overall unnoticeable by a slew of positive traits. Mega Manectric for A-

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok so I feel like 90% of you are viewing Mega Manectric the wrong way. Its not a nuke made for blasting through teams if it gets a switch in. Megaman was designed to rack up chip damage with Volt Switch and, with its amazing coverage and speed, clean up a weakened team or allow a sweeper to. It also has the amazing utility as an offensive Bird check and it beats dangerous mons to offensive and balanced teams like Keldeo and Thund-I. Its only notable flaws are using the mega slot and having difficulty switching in due to low bulk which Intimidate mitigates somewhat (I know there are few more flaws but they arent very defining). Overall it is literally the definition of an A- rank, some flaws but overall unnoticeable by a slew of positive traits. Mega Manectric for A-
Ok THIS I can agree with. These are all true things about Mega Mane, just please don't raise it because of it's ability to beat bird spam, because I just feel like it's lacking in that department (seriously if it requires you have another check like Landorus-T or Slowbro is it even that good of a check? :V)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
My question, is when exactly is this doing that outside of frail offensive teams such as HO? The way I look at A- imo is that all the mons that reside in that rank can actually threaten or go to toe to toe with multiple playstyles either easily or with minor support, offensively and defensively I might add. M-Manectric only can handle Hyper Offense in most cases. It's not really threatening to stall cause it lacks the power, it doesn't really threaten bulky offense cause the idea behind residual damage can go both ways really. You either effectively pile up enough residual damage for M-Manectric to get some KOs, or it ends up becoming less efficient due to hazard damage piling up from it, coming in over and over attempting to revenge kill. The flaws I think are noticeable enough that it doesn't warrant an A- rank. I don't really care where it gets ranked honestly cause it is sort of a high B+ mon anyways so some things make sense but there are some traits people are overrating with M-Manectric that I feel shouldn't be emphasized at all, such as the bird spam related stuff.

RichieTheGarchomp

Banned deucer.
I like this post. I like it a lot. It shows the pros and cons of MMan over the biased reports to make a Pokemon go up or down in rank.
Sadly, I'm more of the guy who thinks Megas were created to wall or wallbreak. I mean there are a few pokes that don't follow this opinion but the majority does. As I said, Rhypherior basically forces a switch out on stuff like Starapetor and Tflame. MMan could of been better, but don't all megas need improvement?

Ok THIS I can agree with. These are all true things about Mega Mane, just please don't raise it because of it's ability to beat bird spam, because I just feel like it's lacking in that department (seriously if it requires you have another check like Landorus-T or Slowbro is it even that good of a check? :V)
It is a good check, but that's what it is: a check and certainly not a counter by any means. You can't switch it in on banded brave birds, etc. However given a free switch in, it can revenge kill/force out all the common birds of birdspam. It stops you from being swept by Talonflame, Staraptor and Sweeperella. It's a nice trait to have but probably not the main reason you'd use it. It's great at gaining momentum and putting pressure on offensive teams, it can be difficult to switch into, even with a ground-type. Flamer mentioned that it's good at wearing down a team for another sweeper which I couldn't agree more with. All things considered it packs quite a lot of utility into one teamslot. Another cool niche it has is being the only fast mega that isn't crippled by Thundurus.

Mega Manectric is useable against stall teams because the standard 4 attack moveset 2HKOs almost every major physical wall on stall teams. Skarm, Gliscor, Ferrothorn, Alomomola and Slowbro are all hit for heavy damage. Mega Manectric forces all of them out and, with correct usage of Volt Switch and surrounding U-Turners, can send stall teams scrambling with no easy window for Roosting and healing. It can snatch momentum against stall teams and wear them down quickly.

My question, is when exactly is this doing that outside of frail offensive teams such as HO? The way I look at A- imo is that all the mons that reside in that rank can actually threaten or go to toe to toe with multiple playstyles either easily or with minor support, offensively and defensively I might add. M-Manectric only can handle Hyper Offense in most cases. It's not really threatening to stall cause it lacks the power, it doesn't really threaten bulky offense cause the idea behind residual damage can go both ways really. You either effectively pile up enough residual damage for M-Manectric to get some KOs, or it ends up becoming less efficient due to hazard damage piling up from it, coming in over and over attempting to revenge kill. The flaws I think are noticeable enough that it doesn't warrant an A- rank. I don't really care where it gets ranked honestly cause it is sort of a high B+ mon anyways so some things make sense but there are some traits people are overrating with M-Manectric that I feel shouldn't be emphasized at all, such as the bird spam related stuff.
Actually, megaman inherently has a decent advantage against a large amount of fairly standard balance/bulky offense teams as well, as most run a combination of Lando-T, Ferrothorn, Talonflame, as well as the latis, ect, who all, apart from the Lati twins (who can be weakened enough by mons like Scarftran, Keldeo ect to enter OHKO range), cannot take any of Megamans standard moves and he has the ability to OHKO outright (Lando needs a bit of prior damage, off the top of my head i think PhyDef dies after 2 SR switchins, pretty easy considering how many times that thing needs to switch in). Shitty passive Stall is something that Megaman cannot beat but volt switch means it can pull it's weight, not to mention old stall is shit, the new innovated versions have some difficultty dealing with its shenanigans because Chansey is kind of a liability to have atm and not much else can continuously switch in.

Last edited:

Worth ranking y/n?
Well it's not 100% outclassed. It avoids the 2HKO from Choice Band Azumarrils Aqua Jet without rocks and EVs in defense. It needs 116 Defense EVs to always avoid the 2HKO, While being able to OHKO it most of the time with rocks. Granted, it's damage output is worse and it's lacking a set up move, but avoiding the 2HKO from Azumarrils Aqua Jet, something Excadrill can't achieve, might be enought for D Rank.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Well it's not 100% outclassed. It avoids the 2HKO from Choice Band Azumarrils Aqua Jet without rocks and EVs in defense. It needs 116 Defense EVs to always avoid the 2HKO, While being able to OHKO it most of the time with rocks. Granted, it's damage output is worse and it's lacking a set up move, but avoiding the 2HKO from Azumarrils Aqua Jet, something Excadrill can't achieve, might be enought for D Rank.
Not being weak to Aqua Jet <<< Resisting Brave Bird, Aerilate Quick Attack, Bullet Punch, and immunity to Prankster Thunder Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)