Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
There's that potential, but I don't think anyone's actually done testing to see how difficult different combos are to follow up with this new DI so far. My guess is that it likely won't be anything worse than combo DI from previous installments.
Being able to increase/decrease your knockback can mean just getting yourself out of range of someone's jump for example. Making someone have to decide whether they want to short hop/full hop/double jump just to reach you for a combo is going to be where this makes the biggest impact.

Being able to increase/decrease your knockback can mean just getting yourself out of range of someone's jump for example. Making someone have to decide whether they want to short hop/full hop/double jump just to reach you for a combo is going to be where this makes the biggest impact.
Well yes, I realize that it's going to make an impact. I was just thinking at the moment, it seemed mostly the same as DIing to get out of combos in previous games.

yes.

http://smashboards.com/threads/blas...m-tourney-locators-invitation-tourney.368643/
also, for everyone concerned about the kill times in this game (and everyone else), here's some insightful statistics from a 27-set tourney, collaborated with by the Amazing Ampharos we know and love. It's more than mere speculation that stock length will slowly decrease as players get better as well, as the nature of mastering a Smash character's moveset (outside of dumb shit like rising pound) means that more aggressive options will be found. stocks last roughly the same as in brawl in tournaments, though if you want to experience this don't pick villager or megaman ty.

I for one was really surprised when I saw videos of players doing 2-stock only matches, the format seems far too quick for me and a few posters in the thread made some excellent points about comebacks. (Edit: I later learned this was the default in For Glory mode...) Posts that stuck out to me from the stats thread:

Look - Smash's 3-4 stock matches allow Smash to really become the unique fighting game it is. Smash is fundamentally different than other fighters, and has so many map-based and platforming mechanics in its fighting system, that we have to let players interact and strategize around these elements during a match. Reducing match time reduces the amount of mechanics within's Smash system that flourish and have an effect on the fight - the mechanics that make it unique and interesting fighter to begin with.

There is stage control, respawning mechanics, gimping, spatial-based mindgames, and more There is a huge stage-centric aspect to Smash that other competitive fighters don't have, and it is de-emphasised in short matches because fights become more about the aggressive-skillset, and less about the strategic, tactical, and creative skillset. Certain strategies, playstyles, creative styles, and tactics won't come to life in super short matches.

Quick matches will get us rock-em-sock-em matches where players are more aggressive, but unique playstyles and pace variation won't be as useful a skillset to master. Playing uniquely and formulating unique and skill-based tactical ways to defeat their opponent will likely not help you as much - instead, fights will be about aggressive dexterity, much like the more traditional competitive fighting game.
and

Casual-competitive players favor Final Destination, so the mode happens on Final Destination (either that, or Sakurai took the no-items fox-only meme too seriously). These players want to prove they're good, so Global Smash Power exists. And where will these players play? At home, where they might be interrupted by family or pets or whatever; or on the train or subway commute where they might only have five minutes to squeeze in a match; or on their lunch break at work, where the faster format lets them do a few matches with several friends each rather than everyone playing once before they have to go back to work.

For these players, short sets are ideal, because they have external conditions and responsibilities that can't always wait.

At tournaments, we use more stages, we know how good we are from external record-keeping (i.e. results) rather than internal, and we play in large groups at a venue that someone rented out for the day or the weekend.

For us, a longer set is ideal, since it reduces variance and also gives players more time to adapt.

Why, then, should tournaments use a ruleset designed for another setting?
These guys hit the nail on the head. I think that conforming to other fighting game match lengths is an absurd idea-- Smash has always set itself apart and to actively work against that with a shorter game format seems silly to me. There are concerns about hosts and TOs with matches running too long, but I think that's moreso on the TO and the venue.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone knows at which time will the demo be on the E-shop? Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the info BTW how is the demo? I heard they were some glitches and bugs, will it be updated in the public one? I think they should IMO

As long as you don't play Peach apparently you should be fine lol.

I fully expect that upon arriving back from work tomorrow that I will be unable to download the demo due to the store crashing hours earlier.

That and I wish Gamestop gave something for reserving, my brother got me the pre-order and bought the game as a present for my birthday a month ago and so far as I know, they didn't give anything for it. Should've done it at Walmart lol.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Thanks for the info BTW how is the demo? I heard they were some glitches and bugs, will it be updated in the public one? I think they should IMO
demo is p shit because the settings of the match are fixed to items on medium, 2 minute time match, but u can at least make it better by playing on the "omega" battlefield so items arent on

Pic of the day. Well, I'd better post some pictures from the Wii U version once in a while, right? We've brought back the Castle Siege stage from Fire Emblem!

(Comment)

Most of the games in the Fire Emblem series have a different unique setting and have fields without much height, so it was hard to narrow down what venues to focus on. Castle Siege and Colosseum are two stages that aren't exclusive to specific games in the franchise.

i notice that the 3DS version doesn't have a lot of music only 114 tracks worth compared to brawls 244+ (both original remixed and smash bro original stuff) i bet they are holding out for the wii u version simply because even though cart tech has come a long way from the days of yore at the end of the day a CD/DVD format will have more space to hold.

and of course there is the possibility that connecting with the Wii U version might add more to both versions and of course the chance of DLC.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
i notice that the 3DS version doesn't have a lot of music only 114 tracks worth compared to brawls 244+ (both original remixed and smash bro original stuff) i bet they are holding out for the wii u version simply because even though cart tech has come a long way from the days of yore at the end of the day a CD/DVD format will have more space to hold.

and of course there is the possibility that connecting with the Wii U version might add more to both versions and of course the chance of DLC.
What? The WiiU high density disks can hold up to 25GB+ apparently. That's 3 times more than even the biggest 3DS cartridges. 114 tracks is still a lot of music. Half the time I'm not even listening to the music because I am concentrating on what I am doing or have the volume low enough that I can't hear it. I highly doubt music would be on the top of the list when it comes to transferring data between the WiiU and the 3DS... If anything it'll just be character packs/records. Nothing more.

The WiiU version will be the definitive version of Sm4sh. I am literally only buying the 3DS version so I can play Smash anywhere. I am a million times more excited by all the extra shit that should be in the WiiU version.

I've owned the Demo since Sunday, but I haven't really taken the time i wanted to to actually write out some thorough impressions over the school week, so I guess I'll just go ahead and say what comes to mind first.

The game is very, very fun. All my fears about the control scheme were erased in my first round of the demo, and the character modelling work is really great. Love the stylized victory screens for Megaman and Link. I tried the controller stand that came boxed with Kid Icarus: Uprising for a couple rounds it felt wonderfully natural to execute pretty much anything I wanted to do in my head. That's not to deride the 3DS as a standalone controller, but god does having something to hold it steady really help me especially as i am not practiced + i try to play for hours at a time + i am tweek >.>

as for the actual gameplay advancements smash 4 tries to make: the game is very, very fun. i have spent many weeks' worth of time playing every smash game and i'd say it feels more like 64 than both melee and brawl did in terms of ... you could say flow/movement in most phases of the game, but with shields existing and brawl recoveries as the exception. superior exchanges are impactful and landing a well-placed hit nets you a lot regardless of DI, but shieldbreak combos remain a thing of the past so you have room to breathe once you land on the ground at least.

I want to mention one technique in specific I think everyone should use. Sora/Namco seem to have deliberately added or at least kept in the new option to do retreating ftilts. It is pretty much what you could do with a wavedash retreating ftilt except with absolutely 0 superfluous execution. You just run in one direction, pivot in the opposite, and just press a to ftilt. You are literally allowed to do an ftilt in the opposite direction of your dash at any point in time, and you'll slide backward while attacking. So you can use it to pop people up and in front of you as Mario or Sheik, give yourself a ton of breathing room as Link, or just be a goddamn annoying kiter as Megaman. It is a basic form of character control that you should probably take the time to practice and grasp the concept of, and I'm pretty confident if you can execute a run or a shieldgrab you will find this easy once you understand it mentally.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I want to mention one technique in specific I think everyone should use. Sora/Namco seem to have deliberately added or at least kept in the new option to do retreating ftilts. It is pretty much what you could do with a wavedash retreating ftilt except with absolutely 0 superfluous execution. You just run in one direction, pivot in the opposite, and just press a to ftilt. You are literally allowed to do an ftilt in the opposite direction of your dash at any point in time, and you'll slide backward while attacking. So you can use it to pop people up and in front of you as Mario or Sheik, give yourself a ton of breathing room as Link, or just be a goddamn annoying kiter as Megaman. It is a basic form of character control that you should probably take the time to practice and grasp the concept of, and I'm pretty confident if you can execute a run or a shieldgrab you will find this easy once you understand it mentally.
I actually discovered this myself and I thought it was the weirdest mechanic. I'm not sure how you discovered it, but for me, it was originally a failed pivot grab. I'm glad someone else has been loving the demo and is really taking the time to enjoy it.

Can't check right now because I'm in school, but is the public demo live on the eShop now? It wasn't up at like 6:30 EST this morning even though it was supposed to be up at 4:00. I'm itching to try it out when I have some free time.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some guy who texture ripped or something said:
Their file names are "chr_10_page_1.tex (AFE29875-55.bin)_0" and "chr_10_page_2.tex (AFE29875-56.bin)_0" They are grouped and the same size as character select icons.
Possible DLC confirmed?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can't check right now because I'm in school, but is the public demo live on the eShop now? It wasn't up at like 6:30 EST this morning even though it was supposed to be up at 4:00. I'm itching to try it out when I have some free time.
Digged around in the nintendo site and found this.

"The public demo will be available for download in the Nintendo eShop beginning on 9/19/14 at 9 a.m. PT."

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...per-smash-bros.-for-nintendo-3ds-special-demo

So it should be available for na pretty soon.

edit: its out!

Last edited:
Played the JP 3ds version quite abit with a friend and if it's indicative of the WiiU version I'll probably be playing SSBM/PM for 4 more years.
It takes so fucking long to get kills in this game I feel, especially compared to Melee, everyone's recovery got buffed, air dodging doesn't make you helpless, gimping feels way harder too.

I dropped Brawl real quick because matches took forever, Smash 4 will have to be played at 2 stocks or I don't see this ever catching wind in the tournament scene outside of new-game-hype, people at EVO have complained about melee matches taking to long for 2 years now and this is way worse.

I'm just assuming a big part of it is both of us fumbling with controls a lot but man I've gotten up to the high 100%s and I'd still live, that's really rare in even low level melee play.

Holding my breath for the Wii U version, hopefully it'll be faster once I'm not ass/have a controller.

Edit: I looked around for opinions on this and found this: http://smashboards.com/threads/blas...m-tourney-locators-invitation-tourney.368643/ Pretty interesting.

Big part of the issue probably is that everyone is still garbo, should be fine later on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)