XY OU #StopWithTheHax! 1766 (+replays) (150+ games)

Hello! And welcome to my third RMT thread, and the second OU team I've really enjoyed to play with.
I created a team a while ago, featuring ScarfChomp and M-Mawile (R.I.P. </3), which were two of my favorite pokemons. I had great success with it, reaching 1700, and some crazy records like 25-0 and other nice things like that. I stopped playing for a couple of months, and decided to come back last month. I even tried to move to UU, but the team didn't do very well and realized that OU is my place.
The team I said I was using with ScarfChomp and M-Mawile, was a hyper offensive team, and what destroyed me the most was just pure stall. Knowing that, and after the last wave of bans, I decided to create a more balanced team, with a nice defensive core, while having a good offensive presence.
I've already played 20 games with this team and showdown, and got a really nice start (18-2), but it was supposed to be a perfect one (20-0), but Showdown decided to just troll me (I missed 2 Draco Meteors in a row, and in the other game missed 2 Stone Edges with Landorus-T too), but I feel this team can still be better, that's why I created this thread, to listen to your opinions and decide where or what I can change :)
Edit1:

After more matches, I'm now 30-10 and in the 1450 mark. And I just realized showdown hates me, the amount of loss I'm getting purely based on hax is outstanding. Everytime I lose because some crazy hax, a little of piece of me dies...
Edit 2:
Got the 1600 mark, with almost 100 games played with this team, and I can say it's really nice. I have a check to a lot of the major threats (but sometimes when my only counter is dead it's almost a gg, but it doesn't happen that often), can revenge kill almost everything, loving to tank some hits that my oponent would never think I would. Well, I'm really liking it overall, but it's feel that there's spot for changes to make it even nicer to play with :)
Edit 3:

Got to the 100 games mark (got down a little, but basically for bad match-ups and some bad plays), not a bad ratio, but there's still lots of room for improvement...
Edit 4:
I said I wouldn't updated it anymore, but I just love playing with this team. Started to ladder again, and after getting haxed to death sometimes (and outplayed other times) I'm getting a better ranking.

I updated with some replays too :)
Edit 5:
New peak. Will keep playing to go even higher :)

Edit 6:
Just played someone important in the showdown, and his followers were mad I beat him. (Look at the latest replay update)
45 games and this Elo, but I got to 1686 after beating that guy.

Edit 7:
Changed Landorus-T spread a bit, to outspeed Charizard X after a DD.
Changed Heatran's Taunt to Roar. It let's my opponent play before me, but against stall teams (just look at the replay against the stall team) that was what won me the game.

Got to 50 games. My last game (I uploaded the replay) was the MOST BORING game I've ever played. Against a full stall team, after 70 turns the only fainted pokemon was my Ferrothorn (killed by his own Struggle). But I managed to win in the end (with some great plays, modesty aside), I just hope not to face teams like that again.

Team building process:
As I said, I decided to go for a more balanced team, and the heart of a balanced team is a good defensive core. And as you guys know, if you want a nice core, just go for the usual and use a nice FGW one.

FGW Defensive Core:

Heatran is the fire part of the FGW core. I've always hated him because he was the main (and almost only) counter to my dear M-Mawile, but deep inside I knew I hated him, because he was extremally good.

Ferrothorn is the grass part of the FGW core. Ferrothorn has that superb bulk, able to spread status and to lay hazards, what more can I ask for ?

I decided to go for Rotom-W, mainly because I used him in my last team, and he was amazing. But in this team, he wasn't helping much, because while being able to tank some hits, I needed a water type with more offensive power, which lead me to:

I've always hated Azumarill too, mainly because she was, almost all the time, what was preventing my ScarfChomp to unleashe his mighty Outrage. Azumarill has a great bulk while using AV while being able to destroy a lot of things.

Offensive/Support Pokemons:

After deciding on the FGW core, I needed to get some sweepers/things that are able to wreck teams with the necessary help. Since M-Mawile is banned, I decided to go for the next big thing, that is:

M-Pinsir is one of the best attacking megas in the actual metagame, and with the necessary help, getting rid/damaging his checks, he just sweeps entire teams.

Since I decided to use M-Pinsir I needed to have a good defogger/spinner. Thought about use Excadrill, Dolphan, and even Starmie, but we all know that Lati@s are the best defoggers. That's why I started to use Latios, but the third move slot was never used, and I felt I could fit this role with a better pokemon:

Latias does the defogging job as good as Latios did, but the additional bulk while being able to use Healing Wish made me swap the twins.

To finish the team up, I needed a good and fast attacker. I'd love to use ScarfChomp again, but using Lati@s and Garchomp on the same team is kind of a problem, since they share almost the same weaknesses, that's why I decided to go for Scarfed Landorus-T.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 SpA
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Before I say something about Heatran, I just need to say: Heatran is just too good. Heatran is my special wall, Talonflame/Fairy check, Skarmory killer and rock setter. He does his job so damn well and his special bulk is so damn good that I'm mad with myself because I haven't used him before. I almost always switch in a fire move or into a special attacker that can do much to me, lay rocks or toxic the next switch for my opponent and get the hell out waiting for the next oportunity to just come in, check something and make my opponent mad.
After 150 games edit:
Heatran is amazing. Main check to Talonflame and specially my main check and total counter to Clefable, it's funny how she can't do anything against it. Eats up almost any special attack aimed towards him, and makes a great switching defensive core with Ferrothorn. Nothing much to say about it, he needs Roar to beat Cleafable/Stall, while using Toxic to poison the next switch-in.

• Lava Plume is my STAB move, while having that nice burn chance. Toxic is to cripple switch-ins and Roar to shut down some threats that otherwise would just be able to wreck me.
• The EV spread is the usual one. Calm nature to be even bulkier, 252 SpD and 248 HP (to minimize hazard damage), while the rest of the EVs chunked into SpA.

Weaknesses/Team Sinergy:
Azumarill/Latias/Landorus-T (1/2x) - M-Pinsir (1/4x)
Ferrothorn/Azumarill/Latias (1/2x)
M-Pinsir/Latias/Landorus-T (Immune)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Ferrothorn is so annoying, period. This guy tanks physical hits like no one else (excluding Talonflame's Flare Blitz and random Close Combats), while being able to spread thunder waves, and checking Fairy pokemons. He is so good as a tank and staller, that sometimes I get sorry about some guys while I spam Leech Seed/Protect combo, while they get the famous para-hax. Normally I just switch him in into a physical attack that I know he'll tank like it's nothing, or a grass move/poison move that won't have effect on him, and just cripple the next switch in with T-Wave, Leech Seed whatever is coming on to steal a nice 25% of his life or just Power Whip the hell out of whatever is coming on.
After 150 games edit:
Ferrothorn, alongside with Heatran is my main "annoy the fuck out of my opponent, until he starts to make some bad decision, which will lead to my win". Well, what can I say about Ferrothorn after this amount of games played with...
The usual play is:
Switch into something physical to eat it up, while doing some Iron Barbs damage, Leech Seed the incoming thread (or T-Wave if there's a major threat that needs to be shut down), protect for the scout move (probably it's a fire move), and just play mind-games with my opponent (something like "I used a fire move, now he'll switch to his Heatran, let me use another one" and boom, Power Whip/T-Wave to the face. And if I have done that before, I'll change the style, and things like that).

• The EV spread is the one suggested by the Smogon's Dex, and it allows him to tank physical hits like a boss while being able to tank special attacks too.
• I was using Gyro Ball+T-Wave but it was counter-productive, meaning I'll use one each match. Knowing that, I got Power Whip instead (which even let me wreck incoming Rotom-W if I predict the switch), while keeping the T-Wave that is just so good to cripple incoming threats. Leech Seed is obrigatory, while Protect is there to scout and stall other pokemons. Not using Spikes because I just think it's too much work for a little Defog to clean it all up.

Weaknesses/Team Sinergy:
Azumarill/Latias/Landorus-T (1/2x) - M-Pinsir (1/4x)
Heatran (Immune) - Azumarill/Latias (1/2x)

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

What an amazing pokemon this yellow little blob is, it just seems so cute and inoffensive, but, oh god, how it can wreck teams and tank hits. Azumarill, while using an AV, is just amazing, it can tank and then revenge kill or just tank and knock off whatever item that pokemon was holding with such ease that it's funny. This pokemon is my main check to a lot of different stuff, like Greninja, Latios using Surf, Keldeo and other pokemons that would wreck Heatran, while being able to check Arcanines, Talonflame and other pokemons that would kill Ferrothorn. But Azumarill's job is not just to check stuff and save Ferrothorn/Heatran, with it's ability 'Huge Power', great movepool and even access to a priority move, Azumarill helps me kill a LOT of stuff.
After 150 games edit:
Azumarill wrecks stuff. As you can see if you watch some of mine replays, one of the things that are my favorite about competitive pokemon is mind-games/prediction. As I said, I love to use mind-games with Heatran/Ferrothorn, and with Azumarill is almost the same, but the doubt is "will he switch out, or will he stay", most of the times I stay and just wreck what's there (only a few thing can't be 2HKOed by this pokemon). Excadrill, Bisharp, Landorus, Clefable, Talonflame (just count M-Venusaur out of this) can't OHKO it, and just get a surprise kill, or predict my switch and die for a STAB+Aqua Jet combo;

• The EV Spread is to maximaze bulk, while having the biggest attack as possible. I don't know if I need to run some EVs in speed to outrun something that otherwise would give me trouble, but with this spread I'm able to live some ridiculous things, like a T-Bolt from a Thundurus after rocks, and revenge kill it with Play Rough.
• Play Rough and Waterfall are there for powerful STAB moves, that wrecks anything that it's not resistant to it, while Aqua Jet is there for a way to deal with weakened foes and Knock Off is for coverage, while crippling the opposing team.

Weaknesses/Team Sinergy:
Heatran/Ferrothorn (Immune) - Latias (1/2x)
Heatran/Ferrothorn/M-Pinsir (1/4x) - Latias (1/2x)
Ferrothorn/Latias (1/2x) - Landorus-T (Immune)

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

What a monster. Everybody knows what M-Pinsir can do, everybody knows his movepool, everybody knows how to play him, but damn! even knowing all of this stuff, he still sweeps entire teams. After mega-evolving his attack goes to huge numbers, while his speed goes to a great number too. Hyper Cutter is being used to avoid status drop on the opponent switch-in, as Landorus-T/Gyarados/M-Manectric's Intimidate, while the 0 happiness is to maximize the damage on Frustation. M-Pinsir only enters the field when needed, which means that he almost never enters the field when rocks is up, and he always goes in to revenge kill something, to just get rid of that annoying pokemon that's giving me troubles, or just to scare the opposing pokemon. Whenever I predict the switch on M-Pinsir, I just SD and that pretty much means gg, if the checks on the other team are damaged/down as they need to be.
After 150 games edit:
Pinsir is a monster. I love to come in, scare whatever is there, set a SD up and then only a few things can hold this mon. And again, the mind-games come, I love to switch in and just attack, avoiding the revenge-kill that would happen if I SDed. Nothing much to say about it, it just kills stuff with a +2Frustation + Quick Attack combo. And got surprised a few times after eating up a attack I thought I wouldn't and just kill what was trying to finish me. He can even kill Counter Skarmory 1v1, which is amazing (set up two swords dances, Quick Attack and then finish with CC).

• Usual EV spread, nothing to say about that, no EVs on HP to minimize hazard damage.
• Frustation and Quick Attack as the STAB moves with the Aerilite ability, which is just ridiculous strong. I use Frustation instead of Return because I lost one game for a Ditto (and that made me really mad :x), Swords Dance is the "Bit of a threat to Omg, it's over!" button, and Close Combat is used for coverage instead of EQ, because Aegislash is not among us anymore.

Weaknesses/Team Sinergy:
Heatran (1/2x)
Ferrothorn (1/2x)
Heatran (Immune) - Azumarill/Latias (1/2x)

Ferrothorn/Latias (1/2x) - Landorus-T (Immune)
Heatran (1/4x) - Azumarill (1/2x)

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe/184 SpA/74 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Latias share the same "problem" that Azumarill has. It seems like a cute little pink thing, but when it starts to wreck things, oh man, only a few things can stop it. Latias is my defogger, M-Venusaur and fighting pokemons checker, destroyer of anything that does not resist dragon, and sometimes my savior with the Healing Wish. Latias has great stats, huge bulk and amazing offensive power (not as good as his blue twin, but just Healing Wish is enough to change them). I love to switch it in into an EQ, Draco Meteor whatever the hell is going to switch in (only if there's no steel/fairy types anymore) and get the hell out. But the thing I like the most about Latias is the possibility to completely change a game with Healing Wish, there were 2 games in those 20 I've played already, that I had already lost, but with some nice prediction I were able to "bring back" the only pokemon that could change that scenario, and win that game.
After 150 games edit:
Oh Latias, I'm sorry most of the time you're just a deathfodder, but that's sometimes your burden in this team. Latias is the glue of this team, I might hold her for the last turns of the battle, but you can be sure she will be totally useful. I'm not going to metion her ability to 2HKO Bisharp on the switch (again: predictions, predictions), the ability to take some hits you would not believe (as stated above), but the ability to just heal a pokemon that will save my ass and win the battle for me.

• This spread on Latias allows it to be 3HKOed by Thundurus' HP Ice if there's no rocks, while 50% chance of surviving a Greninja's Ice Beam, after SR damage, while having the huge speed and being able to kill a lot of stuff.
• Draco Meteor and Psyshock are the 2 STAB moves, that allows me to check a lot of threats in this metagame, Defog is there to help my M-Pinsir kill everything, and Healing Wish is an amazing way to almost "revive" one of my pokemons, being able to be a late game changer.

Weaknesses/Team Sinergy:
Heatran (1/4x) - Azumarill/M-Pinsir/Landorus-T (1/2x)
Nobody. But let's face it, what I'm afraid of ?
Azumarill (1/2x)
Heatran/Ferrothorn (1/2x) - Azumarill (Immune)
Heatran (1/4x) - Ferrothorn (1/2x)

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 38 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

I really liked playing with ScarfChomp, but with Latias in the team, this thing is just a much better option. Landorus-T with a Scarf is a monster, his EQ hits really hard, while being able to nail flying/fire types with Stone Edge. I love to see a Greninja lead in the oposing team, and just U-Turn, while killing it and making my opponent really mad. This pokemon is amazing in his role, revenge kill whatever needs to be killed, while being able to Intimidate what would become threats, and check Talonflame, Garchomp, M-Manectric, Greninja and a ton of other pokemons that otherwise could be potencial threats to my team. Knock Off is nice too, being able to cripple other pokemons, but it's rarely used. Overall, Landorus-T is amazing to this team, helping exactly where he's needed and killing tons of threats that otherwise could become problems in the late-game for my team.
After 150 games edit:
This Landorus-T set is getting a bit easy to predict, but guess what? I don't care, it's just too god. Landorus, Greninja, Lati@s, Tornadus and other stuff that would revenge kill it, killed being able to move. While having the ability to play the intimidate game, and again (I'm sure you're tired of hearing it), but after my opponent knows I have scarf, it's even better, because it's start to become a predict match and that's what I like.

• I was using a Adamant (with 212 speed, meant to outspeed M-Manectric), and it was going really well, but if I can't T-Wave the opposing M-Charizard X, he gets a DD, and my Heatran is down, it means gg. That's why I changed to a Jolly with 220 speed EVs, which means I can outspeed the M-Charizard X at +1, and OHKO it with EQ.
• EQ and Stone Edge are for the well known QuakeEdge combo, wrecking almost every pokemon. U-Turn is a great way to switch-in, and U-Turn in the switch, while killing Greninja and dealing big damage to Psychic types, and Knock Off is there for coverage, while allowing me to cripple a lot of pokemons.
Weaknesses/Team Sinergy:
Ferrothorn/Azumarill/Latias (1/2x)

Well guys, that's it, that's my team. I"ll keep playing with it, knowing the match-ups better and updating the thread with new informations. Let me know what you guys think about it, where/what/why should change to make it better, and I hope you guys have a great day! Thanks for reading/rating it :)

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe/ 184 SpA / 74 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 38 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Last edited:
Well, it's been a day since I created the thread and there are no replies, I'm feeling rejected, and after reading some of others RMT threads, I came up with a few doubts, that I'm looking to be solved by you guys :)
• EV Spread on Azumarill: I saw a couple of guys saying that a 240 HP/252 Atk/16 SpD is better than the one I'm currently using (apparently it's to turn some 2HKOs in 3HKOs)
• Use a 252 Spe/184 SpA/72 HP on Latias, which allows it to be 3HKOed by Thundurus' HP Ice if there's no rocks, while 50% chance of surviving a Greninja's Ice Beam, after SR damage. And is Psyshock really better than Psychic? I know it deals huge damage to Blissey, but I have other counters to that, while it hits harder defensive M-Venusaurs (which are the most common set) and Ferrothorn harder too
• Get rid of Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball and use Power Whip, but then I lose a bit of Fairy coverage, that way:
• Changing the Heatran to a bit more offensive set, maybe with Flash Cannon to nail fairies, but I really don't know what to swap with Flash Cannon, or if it's even necessary

If you want a more offensive Heatran, you can use a choice scarf Heatran and make Landorus your stealth rock setter. I use Scarfed Heatran and it works for a surprise factor, cause its really unexpected, and landorus makes a good bulky stealth rock setter with intimidate. You can always run stealth rock on Ferrothorn instead of T-Wave if you want to keep Landorus the way it is, Most of your offensive mons are relatively fast, so i don't see the thunder wave support too useful for them.

If you want a more offensive Heatran, you can use a choice scarf Heatran and make Landorus your stealth rock setter. I use Scarfed Heatran and it works for a surprise factor, cause its really unexpected, and landorus makes a good bulky stealth rock setter with intimidate. You can always run stealth rock on Ferrothorn instead of T-Wave if you want to keep Landorus the way it is, Most of your offensive mons are relatively fast, so i don't see the thunder wave support too useful for them.
I know I can change the scarf from Landorus-T to Heatran, but I really like to kill Greninja, Lati@s, M-Manectric and other fast stuffs that thinks they can just OHKO me, but maybe I'll give that I try.
I might give Heatran another coverage move, change T-Wave to Stealth Rocks on Ferrothorn and see how that goes...

It's been almost a week with one reply :(

Got the 1600 mark, with almost 100 games played with this team, and I can say it's really nice. I have a check to a lot of the major threats (but sometimes when my only counter is dead it's almost a gg, but it doesn't happen that often), can revenge kill almost everything, loving to tank some hits that my oponent would never think I would. Well, I'm really liking it overall, but it's feel that there's spot for changes to make it even nicer to play with :)

That's the last updated I'll make if i keep getting ignored

Got to the 100 games mark (got down a little, but basically for bad match-ups and some bad plays), not a bad ratio, but there's still lots of room for improvement...

Considering Heatran has quite a lot of problems against physical attackers, I would suggest Will-O-Wisp over Toxic. This is because although Toxic tends to wear down pokemon faster than WoW, WoW can cripple the opposing pokemon badly. Especially if it's a physical attacker (bar Guts pokemon.) Also, if you want to run Leftovers, I would personally go for Protect over Taunt. This is because recovery is good with Heatran, it can take most hits but it can't recover back it's health. That's why I would recommend Protect over Taunt, but if you think Stall is a pretty big problem, whatever floats your boat. :]

Heatran @ Leftovers/Air Balloon
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 SpA
Nature: Calm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect/Taunt

Also, on your Ferrothorn, why do you run T-Wave with it Gyro Ball? I'm pretty sure Thunder Wave would affect Gyro Ball's damage seeing as Gyro Ball's power is based on the difference between you and your opponent's speed. Since you are crippling it's speed with T-Wave, it would half the damage the power of Gyro Ball, I think.(Don't take my word for it though.) So instead of T-Wave, I would run Knock Off or Power Whip over Thunder Wave. Power Whip offers 120 base damage without STAB. Also, as an alternative to Power Whip, you could run Knock Off to get rid of things like the Eviolite of a chansey or a Choice Scarf off a Landorus-T. Or, if you really do want to cripple your oppponent's speed, I would personally run Power Whip or Knock Off over Gyro Ball.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 88 DEF / 168 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
- Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Knock Off/Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave/Power Whip / Knock Off
- Protect

That's pretty much all I have to say about your team, I hope I helped :]

P.S(badum tss): Good luck in the ladder btw :D

Thanks for the rate man!
I forgot to edit the description, I already got Power Whip instead of Gyro Ball. T-Wave is amazing to cripple switch-ins, I couldn't get rid of it.
About Heatran, it seems a good idea to use WoW instead of Toxic, I'll try that out, even though it makes not kill Talonflame on the 1v1. About the protect over Taunt, it seems as a good idea too, as to use it as a scouting/leftovers recovery play, but it leaves me completely open for CM Magic Guard Clefable...
But I'll try that changes out and updated the thread with my opinions :)

I said I wouldn't updated it anymore, but I just love playing with this team. Started to ladder again, and after getting haxed to death sometimes (and outplayed other times) I'm getting a better ranking.

I updated with some replays too :)

And in those replays you can see the importance of T-Wave and the necessity I have to run Taunt or Heatran to completely wall Clefable and other stuffs.

seeing your team, i feel BU/BB/Taunt/Roost can do trouble to you if Lando-T is gone or weaken since heatran is slower and has Lava Plume as the only attack but oh well, good player can save Lando-T for that.

seeing your team, i feel BU/BB/Taunt/Roost can do trouble to you if Lando-T is gone or weaken since heatran is slower and has Lava Plume as the only attack but oh well, good player can save Lando-T for that.
Haven't faced that yet, but I almost always switch Heatran into TF, and if I see a bulk up, or Taunt I'd work that around with Landorus-T and Azu.
Unless he keeps that for the last pokemon, but I always try to stay with Landorus/Azu with Heatran left if the player is keeping a TF as his last attacker

Was maybe thinking to change Pinsir's Quick Attack to Feint. That way if I manage to get a SD up, and a Tf switches in me to scare me out, I can OHKO it if rocks are up, but it might harm me to the point I'd lose some KOs against Keldeos and stuff like that, because of the 25% power drop...
And giving Landorus a Jolly nature to outspeed Charizard X after a +1, but I think that would make some common OHKOs become 2HKOs...

Last edited:
Since I'm not getting any rates, I'm starting to think my team has very small-to no flaws (but I don't believe it)

After I started to ladder again, and get a really nice rate (80% win), and beat a guy with almost a 1900 Elo, and he stated the whole battle that I was bad and he was amazing (please, watch the replay), I decided I'll keep updating this thread, and if the mods think it's not a RMT (not my fault, but I still really appreciate the ones that tried to help me), I"ll move it to the Team Showcase subforum...

I really like the team I prefer Roar on Heatran>Taunt for some chip damage (if rocks are up) and that handles CM Clefable, too.

Maybe a heal beller would be nice cause burns from scald if u switch azu or lati in keldeo are annoying and its nice against stall but I really think there is no place for it.

Hello bro , this team is nice.
I suggest Magnezone instead of non-setter Ferrothorn to trap and then knock out the Steel-type Checks of Pinsir (Ferrothorn , Skarmory ecc..) , you maybe have seen this Magnezone - Pinsir combo , it's one of the best combos in the OU metagame. With the replacement of Ferrothorn you can no longer wall some notable pokemons in OU, To fix this i suggest Empoleon for setting rocks and check that pokemons. I also suggest Substitute Pinsir to avoid Status Moves and for a free Swords Dance if your opponent switched.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Choice scarf instead of Specs is better imo , because you can outspeed pokemons that can create you problems.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Knock Off / Flash Cannon / Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Roar

Empoleon is the best alternative to Specially Defensive Setter Heatran , He is sometimes used in medium and high ladder to check relevant pokemons (Azumarill , Latios and Latias , Talonflame , Greninja , Heatran ecc.).

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Close Combat

Adamant instead of Jolly it's better imo , because can let you to do more damage and then sweep safely when you also have the substitute. Run jolly if you have problems with Mega Gardevoir.

I really hope that this will help you.

That's all , Folks!

Last edited:
I really like the team I prefer Roar on Heatran>Taunt for some chip damage (if rocks are up) and that handles CM Clefable, too.

Maybe a heal beller would be nice cause burns from scald if u switch azu or lati in keldeo are annoying and its nice against stall but I really think there is no place for it.
I like Taunt because I can taunt things like Chansey/Blisseys, other Heatrans and stuff like that, before they Heal Bell/Wish/SR, but Roar seems like a good option too, I might test that later.
A heal beller would be so nice, but unfortunately, there's no room for it in this team

Hello bro , this team is nice.
I suggest Magnezone instead of non-setter Ferrothorn to trap and then knock out the Steel-type Checks of Pinsir (Ferrothorn , Skarmory ecc..) , you maybe have seen this Magnezone - Pinsir combo , it's one of the best combos in the OU metagame. With the replacement of Ferrothorn you can no longer wall some notable pokemons in OU, To fix this i suggest Empoleon for setting rocks and check that pokemons. I also suggest Substitute Pinsir to avoid Status Moves and for a free Swords Dance if your opponent switched.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Choice scarf instead of Specs is better imo , because you can outspeed pokemons that can create you problems.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Knock Off / Flash Cannon / Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Roar

Empoleon is the best alternative to Specially Defensive Setter Heatran , He is sometimes used in medium and high ladder to check relevant pokemons (Azumarill , Latios and Latias , Talonflame , Greninja , Heatran ecc.).

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Close Combat

Adamant instead of Jolly it's better imo , because can let you to do more damage and then sweep safely when you also have the substitute. Run jolly if you have problems with Mega Gardevoir.

I really hope that this will help you.

That's all , Folks!
Great suggestion. I'll just talk about the one I'm not too sure, because the others I'll be more deep. Sub on Pinsir seems like a good ideia, but I can't give SD away, I prefer to have the possibility to have a +2 up, which sometimes give me the chance to sweep the rest of the team, than killing one pokemon while he breaks my sub, and can't OHKO the rest because I'm not at +2. It's very rare for me to SD/keep my Pinsir if I have the chance to be burned/paralized, unless I see no use to my Latias, and will deal as much damage as possible, switch out and then use Healing Wish to "revive" it.

About the Magnezone:
I see the point where Magnezone would be able to deal great amount of damage to some faster threats that otherwise he wouldn't with Specs, but without Specs you just lose a LOT of OHKOs you could get.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 392-464 (114.2 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (If he gets a Leech Seed on the switch, and then proceed to protect stall, I even lose the 1v1)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 306-362 (84.7 - 100.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (chance to OHKO on the switch)
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 186-220 (51.5 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Can only kill it, if he's not sand rush, which means I still can't beat him 1v1 if he does not switch in)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 300-354 (86.9 - 102.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 182-216 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 259-306 (80.9 - 95.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 159-187 (49.8 - 58.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 288-340 (90.2 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 177-208 (55.4 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 470-554 (119.2 - 140.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 288-338 (73 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 236-278 (83.6 - 98.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
While he can't OHKO me if he's looked into Thunderbolt:
252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 80-95 (24.6 - 29.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

I know almost all of this calcs I OHKO pokemons that could not OHKO/2HKO me back, but it's better to OHKO and not lose any health.
Are there some pokemons that I can kill that otherwise would just shit over me if I was scarfed? Can't think of anyone right now...

With that, I see how Magnezone would be really nice to this team, but I'm a bit afraid about the physical wall I'll lose (and the loss of T-Wave, but that's a minor nitpick). Overall, it seems an amazing addition, will totally try that out later.

If I decide to use Magnezone, Heatran will lose his place to Empoleon, which seems a great addition to the team. but my main problem would be:
No safe switch to M-Manectric and M-Venusaur as Heatran was, but that can be countered...

@ thread
And I'm really thinking about going to a Jolly nature on Landorus-T to outspeed and OHKO M-Charizard X after a +1 (since I'll lose my ability to T-Wave it).

Last edited:
Tried using the Magnezone+Empoleon on an alt, but it didn't go very well. I lost save switch-ins to a lot of pokemons, and get a bit destroyed by some offensive teams.
Magnezone was amazing, but he taking the spot of Ferrothorn is just not a good idea for this team. And Heatran is better in every single way than Empoleon...

@ thread
Got to 50 games. My last game (I uploaded the replay) was the MOST BORING game I've ever played. Against a full stall team, after 70 turns the only fainted pokemon was my Ferrothorn (killed by his own Struggle). But I managed to win in the end (with some great plays, modesty aside), I just hope not to face teams like that again.

Tried using the Magnezone+Empoleon on an alt, but it didn't go very well. I lost save switch-ins to a lot of pokemons, and get a bit destroyed by some offensive teams.
Magnezone was amazing, but he taking the spot of Ferrothorn is just not a good idea for this team. And Heatran is better in every single way than Empoleon...

@ thread
If you have problems with Magnezone + Empoleon try Magnezone + Heatran , maybe can fix this problems.

hey MaTucci just a quick thing i find really useful sometimes, you may consider changing the EV spread of ferrothorn to:

Impish: 252 HP / 88+ Def / 140 SpD / 28 Spe

The 28 Speed Evs may look like a waste but they actually allow you to outspeed paralyzed base 100 pokemon like mega medicham or mega zard x / y with a jolly nature and either surprise KO with power whip ( ~ 60% to mega medicham ) or leech seed or something if you decide its time to sack ferro.

Good luck with your team :D

If you have problems with Magnezone + Empoleon try Magnezone + Heatran , maybe can fix this problems.
The problem is losing Ferrothorn...
I can lose Ferrothorn or Heatran, they are walls which grants almost save switch-ins to anything. And whatever they can't switch in, Azu is there.

hey MaTucci just a quick thing i find really useful sometimes, you may consider changing the EV spread of ferrothorn to:

Impish: 252 HP / 88+ Def / 140 SpD / 28 Spe

The 28 Speed Evs may look like a waste but they actually allow you to outspeed paralyzed base 100 pokemon like mega medicham or mega zard x / y with a jolly nature and either surprise KO with power whip ( ~ 60% to mega medicham ) or leech seed or something if you decide its time to sack ferro.

Good luck with your team :D
Thanks for the advice! I'll do some calcs to see if it's turn some 2HKOs in OHKOs, but I'll surely test it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)