How do I get an Art badge? A Guide to Contributing Art to Smogon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can also get feedback from artists by asking in #smeargle, Smogon's art channel on IRC. Read this guide (with links on the left) for details about smogon's IRC community.
I'd also like to emphasis this. We're beginning to become a small group of regulars in there, so some new faces to mix up the crowd would be nice. If you've got art to either share or want advice on, it's just to bring it up as art is never off-topic. If you want a direct link to the channel, there's one right here: #smeargle

For questions regarding art for the Smog, please post in this thread, or contact @Bummer
I can confirm this.

Zracknel said:
Part III: Cool stuff that is cool that you cannot get an art badge from (but is cool)

1) The CAP project

Smogon has a community-wide Create-A-Pokemon project in which competitive pokemon are made through a large-scale, community effort. Artwork is a part of that process. If you'd like to participate, read The CAP Mission Statement, then visit the CAP forum and read the stickied threads there.
Birkal said:
That being said, we also appreciate the variety and large quantity of flavour contributions that we get here at the Create-A-Pokemon Project. We will continue to show our gratitude by awarding Community Contributor badges to those who contribute through other means. This could be anything, from leading pre-evolution processes to participating on the CAP Policy Review Committee. Furthermore, we've increase the scope of the Artist badge to include those who place within the gallery. Since that artwork is being contributed to our site, it will result in the artist being considered for the badge.
Needing updates...

Thread this was posted: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/introducing-the-cap-contributor-badge.3490672/

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Considering the badging of spriters for XY Sprite Project I have the requirements in the OP but for spriters to get the badge they must be:

-Spriters who can make good front and back sprites, their work being largely self-motivated and are capable of producing work that can be easily QC'd.
-Animators that will create regular and rare animations, who edit sprites to make them more suitable for animations, such as adding poses
-Quality Control Spriter: art can be up for interpretation but all sprite projects will be following a specific style. Spriters with a high degree of QC work have an eye for quality and are helpful to bring other spriters to a higher level of work. No one spriter is perfect and QC people should help in how they know best.

This will largely be handed out by myself in consultation with the artist badge leaders Birkal and Zracknel based on a large quantity of work.

Question:
The Smeargle's Studio rules state that it's okay to post original music here as well as visual art. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to earn a badge by writing music, as I doubt that any of Smogon's articles are in need of a theme song. Am I just out of luck? That would be kinda disappointing, but I just don't see any way I could contribute to the site with music.

Question:
The Smeargle's Studio rules state that it's okay to post original music here as well as visual art. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to earn a badge by writing music, as I doubt that any of Smogon's articles are in need of a theme song. Am I just out of luck? That would be kinda disappointing, but I just don't see any way I could contribute to the site with music.
While smogon's articles might not need a theme song/background music, please consider posting your work here in this forum before getting in touch with Ace Emerald of Smogon's Youtube efforts. I believe it'd be possible to get a badge (either artist or social media) for musical efforts depending on how much you were able to contribute!

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Question:
As Zracknel said, if you can get the music approved by Ace Emerald that would be really cool, especially since we can incorporate it into an intro for the casts. I was hoping I could show an intro before casts while streaming too, so that would rock xD

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus
Just wanted to let you know that since the Art4Articles reqs were changed, you might want to edit this. thanks

Bummer Edit: It has now been implemented.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to add that Smogon's tournament e-zine, The Competitor, is also often in need of art. Specifically, we tend to need interview avatars (here's an example interview.) These are smaller, detailed pieces that will often find use over multiple interviews, making them quite valuable for us.

Anyone that's been approved for work in The Smog is also automatically approved for helping with The Competitor. If you're interested in contributing and don't already have access, shoot me a PM and I'll add you asap. Articles tend to move at a faster pace in The Competitor, but it's a fun area to contribute~

so either I missed it or something, but WHERE do you post your art?
Right here in this forum!

If you happen to check out some of our artists' threads, you can see how they present their work. This forum is (almost) exclusively for art threads :)

If you have any questions or that still doesn't make sense, feel free to reply or send me a PM.

asgdf

could've been worse
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Hi!
The "Read about how to make an application" link from II.1 / II.3 and the first link from II.5 seem to lead to error messages.
I assume the artist application one is meant to link to this?

The first link isn't working for me either, but the second is, so I'm not sure what the issue is there. It's a link to the artist approval forum. The missing link was to the approval guidelines for applications in that forum, but I can't find them anywhere, not sure what's happened there. Just try the second link again I guess, since it seems to be working fine.

Hmm-- it looks like the old artist approval intro has been removed from the forums. I've removed the faulty link and written a temporary short description about how to make an artist application. Hopefully I got that right!

Sorry about that!

Ritter Edit: Broken link was in the Art for Articles section as well, so I just copied in the same short description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)