Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I've been running into a ton of Slowking, Tangrowth, and Moltres, as I'm new to RU it has been causing issues, only one loss so far but still far to close. Any tips to get around/destroy those three if they are on the same team?
You'll probably be seeing Amoonguss used over Tangrowth most of the time, but the point still stands that these cores can be quite annoying. However, they aren't impossible to deal with.

Life Orb Druddigon is a good Pokemon to help out with the Regenerator core to start off. All 3 Pokemon take heavy damage from Outrage, and even Tangrowth gets cleanly 2HKO'd by a Life Orb Sheer Force boosted Gunk Shot. It doesn't really have any trouble switching in on either member of the Regenerator core either as long as Amoonguss's Spore has already been used up.

Calm Mind Psychic-types such as Reuniclus, Cresselia, and Sigilyph do pretty well against this core too. Once Spore's been used up they can also set up on and defeat both members of the Regenerator core (bar dtail Slowking), and they can break through afterwards. In general, Psychic-type Pokemon tend to do well against RU's defensive cores.

Exploud is another Pokemon that works well. just switch it in with Stealth Rock up and neither Pokemon wants to take repeated Boombursts, even Assault Vest Slowking is taking over 40% from Exploud, and it won't be able to do enough to KO in return, not to mention Stealth Rock pushes AV Slowking into 2HKO range regardless.

In general, Pursuit+a Pokemon that appreciates Slowking removed is a good way to combat this. Pursuit puts Slowking in a checkmate position, preventing it from safely switching into its partners and possibly taking it out right then and there, clearing the way for the Pokemon in question. Good users of Pursuit include Spiritomb and Escavalier w/ some Speed creep, and Pokemon to pair with these Pursuit users include Moltres and Delphox.

hope i helped!

phantom

Banned deucer.
edit: fk mlk imo

SubCM Cresselia pretty much destroys these kinds of brainless Regen/FWG cores you see on the lower ladder and can even overpower Moltres after a boost or two.

Substitute / Calm Mind / Moonlight / Psyshock OR Moonblast with Leftovers and a physically defensive spread is best.

A lot of lower ladder cores don't really have anything for this, so you can rip through these teams easily with Cresselia.

There's also Offensive Stealth Rock Druddigon, which doesn't do half had against a lot of these Pokemon.

hope i helped!
That was incredibly helpful actually. The ironic thing was I actually was going to use Druddigon but switched to Golurk at the last second.

On a side note I recall when you first joined and everyone thought you were crazy for using the sets/mons that you did. Then you started murdering teams with them. Gotta say it's kind of cool to have my first post here be responded by you. I've always liked people who could make teams outside of the box work.

I can haz autograph?

edit: fk mlk imo

SubCM Cresselia pretty much destroys these kinds of brainless Regen/FWG cores you see on the lower ladder and can even overpower Moltres after a boost or two.

Substitute / Calm Mind / Moonlight / Psyshock OR Moonblast with Leftovers and a physically defensive spread is best.

A lot of lower ladder cores don't really have anything for this, so you can rip through these teams easily with Cresselia.

There's also Offensive Stealth Rock Druddigon, which doesn't do half had against a lot of these Pokemon.
Haha, yeah Im' still in the 1300's. I'll be honest though, I thought Cress was banned (But maybe that was 5th gen?) but I've always wanted to use it so thank you for that tip.

It's important to note that even if they want to quick ban it they traditionally allow it in the tier before they make a decision on whether is should be quick banned or not.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Will Mega Gallade be allowed in RU when ORAS is released?
Yup, unless UU council decides to quickban it (which means it goes to BL and RU doesn't get to have it), since their way of managing the tier is different from OU/RU
Not 100% sure yet, but the RU council may be doing quick bans as well with the introduction of ORAS (just like in RU beta). But we will be letting them in the meta at least initially (I think). :]

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
At the very least, Mega Gallade (and all the other Megas of Pokemon currently RU / NU like Altaria, Lopunny, Sharpedo, and Sceptile) will be usable for a week or two to see how they fare.
They will be spammed to no end. I think it will be pretty evident with-in the first week to know which ones are OP, and which ones arent.

Just a small speculation: Megacamerupt will be a strong powerhouse in the future and be killing anything with Sheer Force stabs in RU...

And do people tested out Zweilous on offense? I mean Houndoom is a popular idea against Delphox. Maybe there are other NFE/NU Pokemon which could work for these kind of teams

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
And do people tested out Zweilous on offense? I mean Houndoom is a popular idea against Delphox. Maybe there are other NFE/NU Pokemon which could work for these kind of teams
I have tested Zweilous on both common archetypes and it is, by far, better as a glue for stall teams, checking Psychic-types thanks to its typing and shuffling dangerous stuff with Dragon Tail. Rest / Sleep Talk / Crunch / Dragon Tail is a solid and viable set.
On the other hand, Substitute + 3 Attacks Zweilous is really underwhelming, due to Hustle's inconsistency (which also hurts the defensive set, but it's harder to punish on stall, since you have a lot of defensive backbone and ways of sustaining your HP), as well as lack of recovery, and a hard time forcing things out (sort of). So yeah, I'd only ever use it on the first scenario.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What are the best rapid spinners to pair with Sub Bulk Up Braviary? I usually use Hitmonlee, but I dunno if there are better options.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are the best rapid spinners to pair with Sub Bulk Up Braviary? I usually use Hitmonlee, but I dunno if there are better options.
Hitmonlee is probably the best spinner in the tier overall, but Sandslash and Hitmontop aren't bad defensive options considering Sub Bulk Up Braviary usually finds itself on balanced and more defensive teams. Slash beats Doublade 1v1 while Hitmontop has Toxic to allows Braviary to stall out defensive threats it might otherwise have trouble with.

hey n_n

I have come across the term "anti-meta" a fair bit. So, what are the characteristics of a Pokemon that is defined as anti-meta? What are some examples in RU at the moment?

phantom

Banned deucer.
From my understanding, It's a Pokemon that typically does well versus a lot of popular metagame trends and/or top-tier threats. One example of an anti-meta Pokemon is Spiritomb, considering it can defeat the entire S-rank and beats a lot of the boosting Psychic-types that have risen to popularity, and the rising prominence of Slowking on stall, which Spiritomb can Pursuit trap rather well further solidifies this point. Another example is Shiftry, which also deals with Doublade and boosting Psychic-types, but can also take on spike-stacking teams that have increased in usage as of late thanks to Defog.

Last edited:
From my understanding, It's a Pokemon that typically does well versus a lot of popular metagame trends and/or top-tier threats. One example of an anti-meta Pokemon is Spiritomb, considering it can defeat the entire S-rank and beats a lot of the boosting Psychic-types that have risen to popularity, and the rising prominence of Slowking on stall, which Spiritomb can Pursuit trap rather well further solidifies this point. Another example is Shiftry, which also deals with Doublade and boosting Psychic-types, but can also take on spike-stacking teams that have increased in usage as of late thanks to Defog.
Thanks man, much appreciated.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How viable is trick room as a playstyle? I know there are a ton of good pokemon to abuse trick room like rhyperior, reuniclus, exploud, clawitzer, pangoro, etc. I'll probably throw together a team later to try it out, but I wanted to hear others thoughts.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
How viable is trick room as a playstyle? I know there are a ton of good pokemon to abuse trick room like rhyperior, reuniclus, exploud, clawitzer, pangoro, etc. I'll probably throw together a team later to try it out, but I wanted to hear others thoughts.
as with any other playstyle that relies on control of something a little bit exterior to the main goals of a game (rain, sun etc), trick room is sort of reliant on the match up, generally triumphing vs offensive teams that can't really stop things from setting trick room up. however, ru trick room also has ways some ways of covering stall, so it's probably not that bad. however, it's really hard to work with 4 turns only, as opposite to rain/sun's 7 or the fact most tailwind users get one shot by everything and you can use that to your advantage, while trick room setters are generally beefier than that.

One of my favorite Megas is mega abomasnow, and since he's viable in RU, I want to use him. However, I can't find any 6th gen analyses for him. What moves should I use, and what EV spread should I use on him? I may as well ask what good teammates are for him while I'm here. Thank you all!

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
One of my favorite Megas is mega abomasnow, and since he's viable in RU, I want to use him. However, I can't find any 6th gen analyses for him. What's usable on him, and what EV spread should I use on him? I may as well ask what good teammates are for him while I'm here. Thank you all!
Use this. Swords Dance Abomasnow is viable too, although it's not there. However, I'm not sure on the exact spread, so I'll just leave it to someone else

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Use this. Swords Dance Abomasnow is viable too, although it's not there. However, I'm not sure on the exact spread, so I'll just leave it to someone else
Alternatively, you can use that same set with a bit of a bulkier EV spread to take volt switches/scalds a little better =).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)