XY UU RMT: Promote Synergy (Like a Boss)

Yay for buzz words! This is a new(ish) team I've been working on, and it has some very nice offensive chemistry. My biggest problem is with my 6th, where I've tried oodles of things, but nothing quite works right. It holds up against a lot of things but there are some teams I simply can't touch and that's worrying. I'm open to any suggestions, be it EV spreads, other pokemon to try, or different roles/ sets- I love experimenting.

Pass the Vape (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

I'm pretty happy this guy fell into UU, because he is pretty awesome. HP and mixed defense investment make him a tough out and almost impossible to OHKO. He basically comes across as a wish-passer/ mixed tank. I've run alot of sets on this guy, and this is the one that has been the most successful. Past sets included sub/ acid armor in place of heal bell protect, but I figured heal and protect is a much more support oriented set up and it works better, especially heal bell, which can get burns and paralysis off of the rest of my team that would normally screw them. IV's are to better take foul plays from sableye/ umbreon.

Sackman (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 64 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Knock Off

This is pretty standard sableye set, as I understand it. I prefer knock off over foul play since with no atk investment it's not going to do much damage as is, and blasting items could completely wreck a pokemon's use, and since fear of a prankster WoW or taunt drives people out often, you can often get a free shot with a strong prediction. The EV spread is to have a decent balance of Def/SpD bulk, be able to take most things and stall recover. The 24 speed is to speedcreep other Sableye's and mess them up with a taunt.

Jackie Chan (Mienshao) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out

One of my favorite UU mons ever, he is a dynamite momentum keeper. Completely unboosted his atk hits 349 and his speed is 339 which is enough to outspeed alot of unprepared mons. Fake out is enough to smack alot of things, as well as break sash, it's also some priority on a team which, notably, has a gross lack of it. That's probably the biggest reason i keep it over say, Poison Jab, which I've seen more often. Regenerator makes him by far my favorite hit and run attacker, as a LO fake out/ uturn is essentially cost free and packs a punch. Anything he can't just mess up with a HJK or knock out is hit and run worthy.

Red Eyes Blackish Dragon (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

He's a pretty nasty special sweeper. Puts a pretty good hole into most things. I know he's S tier viability, but he's a little hit or miss. Draco meteor hits like an ice cream truck full of bricks, but it's very unnerving to use if there's a fairy literally anywhere, which is often considering usage statistics of Florges and, to a lesser extent, Togekiss and Aromatisse. I used to run mixed Hydreigon (with iron tail and superpower replacing flame and roost, with 28 atk investment) but I found that 99.99% of the time there wasn't really a reason to use those moves, unless I was stuck 1v1 vs a Blissey being the only thing that comes to mind. It's effective at what it does, but it is very fragile, and can't even touch Florges. That said, it has very nice synergy with mienshao, as it eats a psychic move meant for it after a Uturn out

Wishful Thinking (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Trick
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Scarfrachi is quite wonderful. I like to lead with him alot, but he has wonderful potential as a pivot, momentum attacker, or even a late game sweeper. In alot of ways, he's the most important piece of my team. Adamant nature is there to get the most bang out of the hits, especially because with scarf outspeeding really isnt an issue. Trick was recently added to break stall, or as a desperation item grab in case of a knock off hit. Iron head with its 60% flinch and speed is the main threat this thing poses, as it can flinch hax to a kill by itself. The key thing here is that Rachi is my best answer to Florges, that I've mentioned alot and is a major threat to my team. It can't be toxic'd and takes a moonblast very very well, and can possibly answer with a OHKO iron head if the Florges EV spread isn't very very specialized. U-turn also nails unprepared things like Mega-Absol and Alakazam and keeps momentum moving. Zen headbutt is an often debated move, and one of the most controversial ones on here. I like it because 40% flinch is nothing to laugh at, on top of being a powerful STAB that has good neutral coverage (plus devastates unsuspecting Roserade, Toxicroak, Crobat, Infernape...it plays well in UU). The convention my high ranking friends tell me is fire punch over Zen, and while it plays okay, I don't think it has the same flair or power. Although the 10% hax do ruin me. Even after all that, I think my favorite part is it's synergy. It and mienshao bouncing around make games fun, and it can take toxic's and poison jab/sludge bombs that would devastate togekiss.

Serial Hugger (Togekiss) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Defog

This one has kept me up at night. I'm just not sure what to do with spot number 6- part of me wants a hazard setter like sash timid Galvantula which is what I used to run here but it just seemed weird, especially since most of my team is pretty set as far as speed goes so SW support isn't per se necesary. I put in HaxKiss due to its synergy with Scarfrachi but honestly it is very niche and I end up rarely using it. Once upon a time I ran Specs Raikou here for even MOAR momentum but it was just ehh. Mega aerodactyl was also once in this spot, but despite its ridiculous power it was still kind of "meh" because any credible team can account for it, and it is more fragile than the guy who conned Spongebob and Patrick to buy chocolate with glass bones and paper skin.
Togekiss for me is largely a guessing game- which I'm not a huge fan of. It's bulky...ish, but putting bulk into it takes away the potential for air slash hax. Even with max speed it's really not fast at all and can't really break many walls without a nasty plot. Defog is on there because UU really does not have many hazard breakers. All and all, while its presence is nice for Jirachi, it looks way better on paper than it does in practice.

So that's the squad- my biggest issues are as follows (as I see them, feel free to agree or disagree):
-Lack of an appropriate 6th member of the team
-Very apparent electric weakness
-Limited priority
-Lack of hazards/ hazard breaking (not REALLY needed- but could definately help)
-W/o togekiss, disparity in phy/special offensive balance

The mons that ruin this team's life

Screw this thing. All kinds of problems

Generally the way to break it is with a taunt, but doing so would be holding down Sableye as he is moonblasted and sacrificed to appease the sun god Ammon-Ra.

Sableye taunt delays the inevitable, but nothing I have handles this thing well. Those who are #team firepunch for Scarfrachi would probably site this nuisance (or galvantula) as the main culprits.

Without the threat of Togekiss, this thing causes problems with the mix of bulk, spiky shield, and even a potential rocky helmet

This hits on lots of problems. With special defense investment it can take a draco meteor from hydreigon and then ruin its day. Tbolt also wallops my team

I only saw this thing once, but it completely ruined my team. It was a Specs HP ice jolteon, and I got humbled by this thing.

It's strange that I don't have a very answer for my own mon. I know scarfdreigon is popular and I don't have any counters at all for it really it's baaaaad. Normal variants, etc life orb or mixed aren't too bad but otherwise... yikes.

Wow. That's alot of words. Hopefully I was thorough at least! I welcome any and all feedback you guys may have

Last edited:
Update: I've been running this in place of Togekiss. It's an interesting thought and covers some spots well, but still leaves a bit to be desired

upload_2014-9-15_14-39-21.png

LeBron (Nidoking) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt

The ability to set up rocks isn't per se needed on my team but the option is pretty great. Also it could attract mega blastoise to the field as a spinner and nail it with a Tbolt. Sheer force life orb also hits like a truck, even though its special attack is nothing too special to begin with. T bolt outspeeds mega blastoise, and if you predict the entrance it is a 2HKO and it's gone before it breathes. More importantly, it has, as I've seen in a few cases, VERY nice synergy with vaporeon, and provides a key wrinkle in the key electric problem. However it is fairly frail and puts more strain on vaporeon and sableye to be the resident tanks. It basically has it set up so if something happened to vap early, either a crit or a misplay, it's basically game over

Hmm I can't give a super detailed rate but why not try Amoogous? I use mega stoise and fortress myself and that thing is always a thorn in my side. I know you have a few bulky mons already but the shroom provides spore support or can run an AV to sponge hits and make life hard with giga drains and slugde bombs, it can handle several things on your threat list with ease, it can't do much for fortress but it can't do much to you in return. Another option is a powerhouse like mega-Aerodactyl as those earthquakes hurt a lot of things in the tier, if you can mega evolve before jolteon gets sent out then you can take care of it. I haven't played XY UU in a while so I'm not sure of all the shiny new toys there are to be played with.

For the record, you can't taunt Aromatisse if it's running the right ability.
I never tested aroma veil in non-doubles as I assume that it only protects allies from things like taunt and not itself. If it does work for itself then it can pass wishes and heal status with ease and most taunters don't want to take a hit from aroma anyway.

no, aroma veil protects itself in singles as well as doubles. but yeah, taunters don't want to take it on. I just was just referring to how it was a threat and how sableye can NOT beat it 1-on-1.

also, as for a rate. first of all sableye should have 252 hp/252 spdef. there's no need to invest in defense on sableye.

second of all, please please please run something to offensively check megastoise. literally the only way you're ever going to break that thing is with residual damage, and you have no switchins whatsoever. One thing I could tell you would be to run Choice Specs Hydreigon, as you get a lot of kills with that thing your team could use against threats. OHKO's sableye and does a lot more damage to megastoise to the point where it is weakened for the rest of the match. LO hydreigon with only special moves is inferior to scarf/specs hydreigon.

And finally, the sixth spot seems pretty simple to me. You have some problems with stuff like Vaporeon and Milotic (aka bulky waters that can take hits from hydreigon) other than being able to setup on them with Kiss. It would work much better if you put a Roserade on this team. It would offer more spikestack support with Sableye and give you protection against bulky waters.

The sets:
Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire/ Sleep Powder/ Rest

Just try specs on hydreigon, I think you'll find the added power is very nice :] also gives you more protection against fairies which can win if jirachi goes down.

Last edited:
no, aroma veil protects itself in singles as well as doubles. but yeah, taunters don't want to take it on. I just was just referring to how it was a threat and how sableye can NOT beat it 1-on-1.

also, as for a rate. first of all sableye should have 252 hp/252 spdef. there's no need to invest in defense on sableye.

second of all, please please please run something to offensively check megastoise. literally the only way you're ever going to break that thing is with residual damage, and you have no switchins whatsoever. One thing I could tell you would be to run Choice Specs Hydreigon, as you get a lot of kills with that thing your team could use against threats. OHKO's sableye and does a lot more damage to megastoise to the point where it is weakened for the rest of the match. LO hydreigon with only special moves is inferior to scarf/specs hydreigon.

And finally, the sixth spot seems pretty simple to me. You have some problems with stuff like Vaporeon and Milotic (aka bulky waters that can take hits from hydreigon) other than being able to setup on them with Kiss. It would work much better if you put a Roserade on this team. It would offer more spikestack support with Sableye and give you protection against bulky waters.

The sets:
Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire/ Sleep Powder/ Rest

Just try specs on hydreigon, I think you'll find the added power is very nice :] also gives you more protection against fairies which can win if jirachi goes down.

Love specsdreigon! It's working quite nicely recently- I'm now juggling between that or scarfdreigon and they're both working very well, but leaning specs. As for the Roserade it's an interesting idea, but in most of the games I've played it (it won one singlehandedly after sleep powdering a slaking) it is just not really strong enough to scare out the kind of things I would like- giga drain barely touched milotic and sludge bomb didn't hit florges all that well. Plus it re-exposed my big flaw with electric types...

But the grass thing gave me a thought- what about whimsicott?

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD/ 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast/ Memento
- Leech Seed

Love specsdreigon! It's working quite nicely recently- I'm now juggling between that or scarfdreigon and they're both working very well, but leaning specs. As for the Roserade it's an interesting idea, but in most of the games I've played it (it won one singlehandedly after sleep powdering a slaking) it is just not really strong enough to scare out the kind of things I would like- giga drain barely touched milotic and sludge bomb didn't hit florges all that well. Plus it re-exposed my big flaw with electric types...

But the grass thing gave me a thought- what about whimsicott?

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD/ 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast/ Memento
- Leech Seed
the cotton puff doesn't has much power behind it so you would have to be very smart about how you play it and I've used megastoise to kill them with little issue, all I did was switch out and use my florges to heal status and pass wishes to keep her healthy. I would try out Whimsicott, Amoogous and Roserade and see if any help you, I use megastoise as my win condition often so I have a flygon and entei that keep her safe from grass types like I mentioned or if they are weak enough stoise can just pick them off.

Any sets for Amoonguss you'd recommend? Can't seem to find a savory one
Well what are you going for? I find both the popular sets pretty good, if you don't want spore support an AV set would work. I'd have to dig up a set I used to use.

edit* this is the one I used, it served me well.

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Grass Knot
- Foul Play

also look at the analysis here which has like 5 sets even if it's billed as RU, it still can be used well.

No, please do not use AV amoongus in a tier that isn't ubers. The main reason to use amoongus outside of it's great hp and typing is spore - which you cannot use with AV.
Either go with max hp max def / spdef, or a mixed spread like the RU one.
I do recall feeling more relieved when I found the shroom was using an av set instead of a spore one when i was fighting against it.I used av when the tier was new but then abandoned it when I made a new team that did not need it. Spore puts you opponent is the position of temporarily sacking their Mon to save the rest of the team from sleep. In hindsight the spore sets are better in keeping opponents on their toes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)