OU Wobbuffet

QC Approvals: Valentine, Jukain, aim
GP Checks: frenzyplant, The Dutch Plumberjack

Overview
########
Although Wobbuffet is a very specialized Pokemon, it is very good at what it does: revenge killing and trapping. While Wobbuffet appears to have competition from a fellow Shadow Tag user, Gothitelle, Wobbuffet has some notable advantages over it. Wobbuffet is able to fit onto offensive teams more easily than Gothitelle, has a better matchup against offense, and has Encore to handle Pokemon that try to set up on it. While Knock Off's high usage is a problem for Wobbuffet, it can beat some common Knock Off users, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T, one-on-one. However, Wobbuffet is mostly one-dimensional, as it is limited to revenge killing and trapping, has no recovery outside of whatever item it is holding, and is hurt by its low Speed against defensive Pokemon that it would lock into a move with Encore.

Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
########
name: Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
move 1: Encore
move 2: Counter
move 3: Mirror Coat
move 4: Safeguard
ability: Shadow Tag
item: Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
evs: 52 HP / 232 Def / 224 SDef
nature: Bold

Moves
========
Encore can lock the foe into a move that a teammate can take advantage of and can prevent Wobbuffet from being set up on by sweepers such as Belly Drum Azumarill and Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X. Counter and Mirror Coat allow Wobbuffet to return damage back to a foe that hits it with a physical or special attack, respectively. Safeguard protects Wobbuffet and its teammates from status for a few turns, allowing teammates to come in safely on an Encored status move.

Set Details
========
The investment in HP and Defense allows Wobbuffet to survive a Knock Off from Life Orb Bisharp while holding an item, which can be handy in a pinch. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Defense to allow Wobbuffet to take special attacks much easier. Sitrus Berry is preferred over Leftovers because Wobbuffet wants to have an instant form of recovery and because it gets worn down a lot. Also, using up an item allows Wobbuffet to take Knock Offs better. However, Leftovers can be used instead for gradual recovery.

Usage Tips
========
Wobbuffet is a team supporter primarily for offensive teams by trapping or KOing Pokemon that are causing problems for Wobbuffet's teammates. Wobbuffet is best brought in when a teammate has been KOed, or from a U-turn or Volt Switch. Wobbuffet should not be played too recklessly, as it gets worn down rather easily, but one must not be afraid to use it in fear of it getting worn down. Be smart with Encore due to its low PP, but again, do not be afraid to use it. Encore in general is meant to take advantage of the opponent; for example, Wobbuffet can be used as an anti-lead by locking the opponent into Stealth Rock for a teammate to take advantage of. Wobbuffet dislikes Knock Off users, but it can beat some of them one-on-one, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T.

Team Options
========
Wobbuffet provides valuable support for offensive teams and prefers these over balanced teams. For teammates, Wobbuffet greatly appreciates Healing Wish support because it gets worn down very easily, so Latias and Jirachi are good teammates. Wobbuffet's combination of Shadow Tag + Encore can benefit setup sweepers by giving them free turns to set up. Lucario and Mega Charizard X appreciate Wobbuffet's support and its ability to trap and KO Excadrill, which the two usually struggle with. Other setup sweepers, such as Dragonite and Diggersby, can make good teammates as well. Wobbuffet is troubled a lot by Bisharp, which can threaten to KO it after some prior damage with Knock Off or Pursuit; as such, a Fighting-type, such as Terrakion or Keldeo, makes for a good teammate to handle Bisharp. Landorus pairs well with Destiny Bond Wobbuffet, which handles Latias and Chansey for Landorus.

Other Options
########
Tickle can be used with a Pursuit trapper to remove the opponent's walls from the match, but this is gimmicky at best, and Wobbuffet has better things to do. Destiny Bond looks good on paper to score a free KO once Wobbuffet is at low health, but it really misses Safeguard, often lacks the Speed to pull it off, and does not have room for it.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bisharp**: Bisharp is a huge pain in the neck for Wobbuffet, as it can KO Wobbuffet with Knock Off or trap a weakened Wobbuffet with Pursuit. However, Bisharp should not be too reckless, as trying to set up on Wobbuffet or failing to KO it can backfire and be exploited.

**Taunt + Status**: Taunt and status debilitate Wobbuffet and can keep it from doing its job as efficiently. Wobbuffet can function when Taunted, but it needs more prediction in this case. Poison and burn wear down Wobbuffet, and other forms of status hinder it as well.

**VoltTurn + Counter / Mirror Coat immunities**: The easiest way to handle Wobbuffet is to U-turn or Volt Switch into a Ghost- or Dark-type, the former type being immune to Counter and the latter type being immune to Mirror Coat. This prevents Wobbuffet from doing its job and minimizes the damage it inflicts upon the opponent's team.

*Shadow Tag user
*Not outclassed by Gothitelle; Wobbuffet fares better against more offensive teams, whereas Gothitelle is better at handling more defensive ones. Wobbuffet also has access to Encore, which prevents it from being setup bait.
*Good revenge killer and trapper, but can only do that
*No recovery outside of Leftovers and Sitrus Berry
*Really slow
*Knock Off spam is annoying for Wobb, though it can actually beat some common Knock Off users, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T

*Encore can lock your opponent into a move, which can prevent Wobbuffet from being set up on by things like Belly Drum Azumarill or Dragon Dance Charizard X, allowing Wobbuffet to switch into a teammate to deal with these Pokemon while they are locked into a move. Encore can also lock your opponent into a move that a teammate can take advantage of.
*Counter and Mirror Coat allow Wobbuffet to return damage back to almost any attacker that cannot OHKO it
*Safeguard protects Wobbuffet and its teammates from status for a few turns, which can allow teammates to come in safely without any fear of being crippled by status

*Physical investment allow Wobbuffet to survive a Knock Off from Life Orb Bisharp while holding Sitrus Berry and at maximum HP.
*Sitrus Berry is preferred over Leftovers because Wobbuffet wants to have an instant form of recovery, especially if it gets hit too hard. Also, using up an item allows Wobbuffet to take Knock Offs better once its Sitrus Berry is used. Leftovers can be used for gradual recovery, but Sitrus Berry is better for the reasons provided.
*A Calm Nature can be used to take special hits better, but most Choice Scarf users are physically based, and beating Choiced Pokemon is one of Wobbuffet's biggest assets.

*Wobbuffet is a team supporter that is meant to be used to trap and weaken or KO Pokemon that are causing problems for Wobbuffet's teammates
*Be smart with using Encore due to its low PP, but do not be afraid to use it
*Try to bring Wobbuffet in after a teammate has died, or from a U-turn / Volt Switch if possible.
*Do not play Wobbuffet too recklessly, as it can get worn down easily
*Be careful around Knock Off users, but Wobbuffet can beat some of them once it has used up its Sitrus Berry, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T
*Can be played as an anti-lead by locking the opponent into Stealth Rock for your team to take advantage of

*A common misconception is that Wobbuffet does not fit onto offensive teams very well because it lacks immediate power; this notion is false, as the support Wobbuffet provides can be very useful for offensive teams
*Wobbuffet greatly appreciates Healing Wish support from the likes of Latias or Jirachi, as it completely restores Wobbuffet should it get worn down too much
*Wobbuffet's combination of Shadow Tag + Encore can benefit setup sweepers by giving them free turns to set up. Lucario and Mega Charizard X appreciate Wobbuffet's support, and also appreciates its ability to trap and KO Excadrill, whom the two usually struggle with. Other setup sweepers, such as Dragonite and Diggersby, can fit as well.

*Tickle can be used with a fast spread and paired with a Pursuit trapper to take down walls
*Destiny Bond looks good to take down another Pokemon once Wobbuffet is about to be KOd, but it really misses losing either Encore or Safeguard
*Charm, Splash
*Nothing else

*Bisharp: Bisharp is a huge pain in the neck for Wobbuffet and can KO it with Knock Off, or can trap a weakened Wobbuffet with Pursuit.
*Taunt + Status: Taunt and Status can debilitate Wobbuffet and can keep it from doing its job as efficiently. Wobbuffet can function without Taunt, but needs more prediction.
*VoltTurn + Counter / Mirror Coat immunities

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Mention Encore in the Overview; it's the biggest reason why Wobb isn't a sitting duck for most setup sweepers.

Wobbufet is not bothered by Stealth Rock at all. It's not weak to it, since it's not like it takes so much damage from it that it can no longer trap things. If anything Wobbufet is more vulnerable to Toxic Spikes, but those are incredibly rare so there isn't need to mention that. Remove the point about SR and Rapid Spinners in Team Options.

Note that Wish passing tends to be ineffective on Wobbufet from anything other than Chansey, due to Wobb's immense HP. Frankly I'm not even sure if it is worth it.

Taunt and status can be separated; both affect Wobbufet differently, and are used by different Pokemon.

dice Jukain TRC CrashinBoomBang Subject 18 aim Nog Valentine
I know this would be an unusual suggestion for C&C, but would you say "switching move into immune pokemon" (I can't phrase for shit, can be worded better), aka Volt Switching to Dark-type (avoid Mirror Coat) or U-turning into Ghost-type (avoid Counter), can be considered a proper Wobbufet response?

Last edited:
Reactions: AM

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
So yeah im going to second the sitrus berry item on wobb. Its just way more useful especially in handling more hard hitting threats. Leftovers is alright if you're using it as a tool just to break stall but its such a passive item and only helps in some scenarios of whats being trapped. I would put magnezone as a partner as well. In tandem with encore you basically beat any passive steel types such as skarmory and specially defensive empoleon while maintaining momentum during the start of the game where this usually happens. Theres no need for a particular emphasis but put healing wish latias for team options. It's pretty stupid how easily wobb can dismantle teams with this tool and in practice best case scenario you can basically beat half the team with this + sitrus berry alone. I would go ahead and mention diggersby as a partner. On my phone so might format and add some more details that I might've forgot to mention.

Smog Frog AM Hmm, I never considered Sitrus Berry. I will try it and see what I think of it.

Ah! Diggersby was the teammate I forgot. Thanks AM!

Last edited:
slash sitrus berry before leftovers

i agree with punchshroom's C&C suggestion
Okay, then, I will give Sitrus Berry the slash. The current spread I had was so Lefties Wobb could not be 2HKOd by Banded Talonflame, but if Sitrus is the main slash, then a Lefties spread is redundant. What spread should I run then?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Ok so for usage tips, I would add on that it makes a good anti-lead. Helps with shutting down an opponents hazard setter right from the get go or basically for scouting purposes. Most people just assume the hazard setter goes first and try to counter that so Wobbuffet can take advantage of that.

I would put relevant ghost types as a counter to Wobbuffet. They ignore Shadow Tag while Sableye completely shuts it down, and most Gengar sets aren't fully offensive so Wobbuffet loses anyways. Cofagrigus can pretty much handle it easily as well for the most part. Also the fact that they basically have the advantage in terms of what to switch into since Wobb isn't beating them anyways. Just mention that it hates pursuit trappers in general not just Bisharp.

Elaborating on what Punchshroom and TRC said, just mention that cores that utilize volturners + immunities to Counter and Mirror Coat are a hassle for Wobb (I.E. Magnezone + Ttar for blocking Mirror Coat, Lando-T + Gengar for blocking Counter, etc.).

Ok so for usage tips, I would add on that it makes a good anti-lead. Helps with shutting down an opponents hazard setter right from the get go or basically for scouting purposes. Most people just assume the hazard setter goes first and try to counter that so Wobbuffet can take advantage of that.

I would put relevant ghost types as a counter to Wobbuffet. They ignore Shadow Tag while Sableye completely shuts it down, and most Gengar sets aren't fully offensive so Wobbuffet loses anyways. Cofagrigus can pretty much handle it easily as well for the most part. Also the fact that they basically have the advantage in terms of what to switch into since Wobb isn't beating them anyways. Just mention that it hates pursuit trappers in general not just Bisharp.

Elaborating on what Punchshroom and TRC said, just mention that cores that utilize volturners + immunities to Counter and Mirror Coat are a hassle for Wobb (I.E. Magnezone + Ttar for blocking Mirror Coat, Lando-T + Gengar for blocking Counter, etc.).
Wobb is not staying in on Ghost types, except in a desperate situation.

AM

LCPL Champion
Wobb is not staying in on Ghost types, except in a desperate situation.
It's not suppose to be staying in, what I'm saying is that you generally have no way to beat them so it generally qualifies as a counter to Wobb.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
What do you mean 'strong opponents'? Generally as you stated you bring in wob on a choice locked mon or on a slow u-turn/ pivot and then switch out. Wobbs main goal is to weaken or get rid of something or lock it into stop so another mon can set up with said counter/checj gone. Not sure what strong opponents means lol anyway i also approve what the users up there have said.

What do you mean 'strong opponents'? Generally as you stated you bring in wob on a choice locked mon or on a slow u-turn/ pivot and then switch out. Wobbs main goal is to weaken or get rid of something or lock it into stop so another mon can set up with said counter/checj gone. Not sure what strong opponents means lol anyway i also approve what the users up there have said.
I will remove the "strong opponents" part then. I think the idea was that Wobbuffet gets worn down easily.

Valentine

Banned deucer.
wow i missed that you mentioned some of the stuff i thought you didn't, my bad. there's enough here for 1/3.

mention what wobb is for. it's primary function is to take out certain pokemon that stop your other pokemon from winning the game. like, for example, if i have a gyarados, i might want to trap my opponents thundurus before trying to win with gyarados. also, encoring your opponent into certain moves can create set up opportunities. if you encore your opponent into earthquake, you can set up for free with levitating pokemon, like dragon dance gyarados, dragonite, double dance lando, or if you encore a dark move, things like BD azu can set up, clefable, etc.

i don't see any problems with the spread presented or anything.

Should I include Tyranitar in checks and counters? From my experience, Tyranitar can actually lose to Wobbuffet because ScarfTar will tend to go for the Pursuit on Wobbuffet, which Wobbuffet can easily survive, only to get KOd back by Counter.

Someone mentioned to me about Lum Berry + Safeguard doing work against status leads, but I will leave that up to the discretion of QC on whether or not I should mention it.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
3/3 i'd probably mention something like landorus as a nice partner since this can get rid of latias/chansey depending on the set if running dbond. anyway nice job :]

tehy

Banned deucer.
amcheck

more comments may be along later. If you're not entirely comfortable with some of the subjective changes, you can wait to implement them until I finish commenting.

i think aim meant that Wobb beats chansey and lati@s for Landorus, not the other way around.

That said, in order to beat Chansey you have to not come in on Toxic/Thunder wave, and EV to outspeed it, plus you can just encore stall any lati not using Trick or Recover/Roost out of Defog PP and then mirror coat forever.

On the subject of Taunt; how many Taunt mixed attackers are there, exactly? The main problem with Taunt is that you cannot punish setup or healing/status from stallbreakers like mew. It's not like they can switch out though, so say, lead terrak, will still lose via PP stall eventually.

I completely think Tyranitar deserves a mention as a counter;it's got SS to wear you down, often goes mixed, can hit you very hard.

Ofc none of that would matter, but it has pursuit. So suddenly there's mindgames-if you use encore you might just get crunched, switch pursuit, stay in and get chipped at with special move. You can emphasize that not all variants win but it's still a fair threat to you, unlike any other mon you can switch out of harmlessly. (Usually you could say "but setup, except Encore".
Overview
########
Although Wobbuffet is a very specialized Pokemon, it is a very good at being a revenge killer and trapper. While Wobbuffet appears to have competition from a fellow Shadow Tag user, Gothitelle, Wobbuffet has some notable advantages over it. Wobbuffet is able to fit onto offensive teams much easier than Gothitelle can, has a better match-up against offense, and has access to Encore to handle Pokemon that try to set up on it. However, Wobbuffet has some apparent flaws that need to be addressed. It is mostly one-dimensional, and is limited to revenge killing and trapping. It, has no recovery outside of whatever item it is holding, and is hurt by its low speed really hurts against defensive Pokemon that it may want tould locike into a move with Encore. While the high usage of the move Knock Off is a problem for Wobbuffet, it can actually beat some common Knock Off users one-on-one, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T, one-on-one. Despite having some clear flaws that need to be addressed, do not overlook Wobbuffet, as the support it provides to teams is very useful, and should be considered for a team.

Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
########

Moves
========
Encore can lock your opponent into a move, wthichat a teammate can take advantage of, and prevent Wobbuffet from being set up on by tsweepers suching as like Belly Drum Azumarill or Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X,. allCowing Wobbuffet to switch into a teammater to deal with these Pokemond whMile they are locked into a move. Encrore can also lock your opponent into a move that a teammate can take advantage of. Counter allows Wobbuffet to return damage back to an opponent who hits it with a physical attack. Mirror Coat does the same thing, but after getting with a Special Aattack, inrespectiveadly. Safeguard protects Wobbuffet and its teammates from status for a few turns, which can allow teammates to come in safely withoutn any fear of beiEng corippled by status move.

Set Details
========
The investment in HP and physical dDefense allows to Wobbuffet to survive a Knock Off from Life Orb Bisharp while holding an item, which can be handy in a pinch. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Defense to allow Wobbuffet to handle special attacks much easier. Sitrus Berry is preferred over Leftovers because Wobbuffet wants to have an instant form of recovery, especially onced it gbets worn down ca lot. Aluso,e using up an item allows Wobbuffet to take Knock Offs better once its Sitrus Berry is used up. Leftovers can be used instead for gradual recovery, but Sitrus Bhowerry is prefverred for the reasons stated.

Usage Tips
========
Wobbuffet is a team supporter primarily for offensive teams tohat traps and weakens or KOes Pokemon that are causing problems with Wobbuffet's teammates. However, Wobbuffet is best brought in when a teammate has been KOed, or from a U-turn or Volt Switch. Wobbuffet should not be played too recklessly, as it gets worn down rather easily, but one must not be afraid to use it in fear of it getting worn down. Be smart with using Encore due to its low PP, but again, do not be afraid to use it. Encore in general is meant to take advantage of the opponent; for example, Wobbuffet can be used as an anti-lead by locking the opponent into Stealth Rock for a teammate to take advantage of. A Wobbuffet user should be wary that Wobbuffet dislikes Knock Off users, but can actually beat some of them one-on-one, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T.

Team Options
========
It is commonly conceived that Wobbuffet does not fit onto offensive teams very well because it lacks immediate power. On the contrary, this notion is false: Wobbuffet provides valuable support for offensive teams, and prefers fitting onto offense more than a balanced team. For teammates, Wobbuffet greatly appreciates Healing Wish support, because it gets worn down very easily., so Latias and Jirachi are thus good teammates, besing ablce to providhey bothis folearmn ofHealing Wisupporth. Wobbuffet's combination of Shadow Tag + Encore can benefit setup sweepers by giving them free turns to set up. Lucario and Mega Charizard X appreciate Wobbuffet's support, and also appreciates its ability to trap and KO Excadrill, whom the two usually struggle with. Other setup sweepers, such as Dragonite and Diggersby, can fit as well. Wobbuffet is troubled a lot by Bisharp, who can threaten to KO Wobbuffeit after some prior damage with Knock Off, or try to force it oPut and trap suit with; as Pursuit. Ach, Fighting-type,s such as Terrakion or Keldeo, make isfor a good teammates to handle Bisharp. Landorus-I pairs well with Wobbuffet if it is running Destiny Bond, being able to lure in and cripple Latias and Chansey so they do not give Wobbuffet problems.

Other Options
########
Wobbuffet's movepool is really small and consists of only eight moves, so there really is not many other options. Tickle can be used with a Pursuit trapper to remove the opponent's walls from the match, but this is gimmicky at best, and Wobbuffet has better things to do. Destiny Bond looks good on paper to score a free KO once Wobbuffet is low on health, but it really misses losing either Encore or Safeguard, and thus doften lacks not have Speed rotom forpull it. Charmoff, and Splash are essentially huseless and aroe as cnomplete whastve room for timet.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bisharp**: Bisharp is a huge pain in the neck for Wobbuffet, as it can KO it with Knock Off, or can trap a weakened Wobbuffet with Pursuit. However, a Bisharp should not be too reckless, as trying to set up on it or failing to KO it can backfire and be exploited.
**Taunt + Status**: Taunt and Sstatus can debilitate Wobbuffet and can keep it from doing its job as efficiently. Poison and burns can wear down Wobbuffet, and other forms of status hinder it as well. Wobbuffet can function without Taunt, but needs more prediction.
**VoltTurn + Counter / Mirror Coat immunities**: The easiest way to handle Wobbuffet is to U-turn or Volt Switch into a Ghost- or Dark-Type, whirespectively; the former type beisng immune to Counter, or Volt Switchiangd into ahe Dlatterk Ttype, which beisng immune to Mirror Coat. This prevents Wobbuffet from doing its job, and minimizinges the damage it inflicts upon the opponent's team.

Comments:

A lot of fluff/unnecessary in the overview. I really don't like to see a bunch of small sentences, it's pretty telling that I combined four of them without any major problems. The very end is pretty weak "should be considered for a team" kinda makes no sense in a few ways;the part right before it is a much stronger end as well as not being problematic so it works out fine

Similarly, i combined the two Encore sentences, and the Counter and Mirror Coat sentences.

I think my explanation of Safeguard is much more what's happening;you're not just going to switch out unless a wall switches into you, and then you might as well encore it into something, which would be said status move so yea. A lot of walls would prefer to spam toxic, which stops setup to a degree and can't be countercoated, so you safeguard and then set up anyhow. Or stall them out of said status move, maybe, though they'd have to be slower.

If you want to say physical defense, you can just say Defense and it comes out the same

I don't think sitrus berry is so much about what you said exactly, what you say is somewhat related. the main point of sitrus is that it's better by far over short periods of time, like switching into an attack and avoiding a 2hitko, maybe avoiding a 3hitko (the knock off mention is good though). Also, what do you mean 'especially once it gets worn down a lot?' As for the lefties bit, you already explained why to use Sitrus Berry over them (or at least you should now), so no need to repeat yourself.

I don't think there's a common conception about Wobb being bad on offensive teams and everything you've said and do say should dispel any said conception anyhow. Plus that part was really long. Also, yea Wobb has a small movepool, who cares. No reason to mention Splash and Charm, i know you did that basically to cover its entire moveset but, no need really.

Pretty sure Wobb is not giving up Encore for Destiny Bond, so yea. Also its low speed is the main issue here. Maybe mention speed investment as a motherfucker for it.

amcheck

more comments may be along later. If you're not entirely comfortable with some of the subjective changes, you can wait to implement them until I finish commenting.

i think aim meant that Wobb beats chansey and lati@s for Landorus, not the other way around.

That said, in order to beat Chansey you have to not come in on Toxic/Thunder wave, and EV to outspeed it, plus you can just encore stall any lati not using Trick or Recover/Roost out of Defog PP and then mirror coat forever.

On the subject of Taunt; how many Taunt mixed attackers are there, exactly? The main problem with Taunt is that you cannot punish setup or healing/status from stallbreakers like mew. It's not like they can switch out though, so say, lead terrak, will still lose via PP stall eventually.

I completely think Tyranitar deserves a mention as a counter;it's got SS to wear you down, often goes mixed, can hit you very hard.

Ofc none of that would matter, but it has pursuit. So suddenly there's mindgames-if you use encore you might just get crunched, switch pursuit, stay in and get chipped at with special move. You can emphasize that not all variants win but it's still a fair threat to you, unlike any other mon you can switch out of harmlessly. (Usually you could say "but setup, except Encore".

Overview
########
Although Wobbuffet is a very specialized Pokemon, it is a very good at being a revenge killer and trapper. While Wobbuffet appears to have competition from a fellow Shadow Tag user, Gothitelle, Wobbuffet has some notable advantages over it. Wobbuffet is able to fit onto offensive teams much easier than Gothitelle can, has a better match-up against offense, and has access to Encore to handle Pokemon that try to set up on it. However, Wobbuffet has some apparent flaws that need to be addressed. It is mostly one-dimensional, and is limited to revenge killing and trapping. It, has no recovery outside of whatever item it is holding, and is hurt by its low speed really hurts against defensive Pokemon that it may want tould locike into a move with Encore. While the high usage of the move Knock Off is a problem for Wobbuffet, it can actually beat some common Knock Off users one-on-one, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T, one-on-one. Despite having some clear flaws that need to be addressed, do not overlook Wobbuffet, as the support it provides to teams is very useful, and should be considered for a team.

Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
########

Moves
========
Encore can lock your opponent into a move, wthichat a teammate can take advantage of, and prevent Wobbuffet from being set up on by tsweepers suching as like Belly Drum Azumarill or Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X,. allCowing Wobbuffet to switch into a teammater to deal with these Pokemond whMile they are locked into a move. Encrore can also lock your opponent into a move that a teammate can take advantage of. Counter allows Wobbuffet to return damage back to an opponent who hits it with a physical attack. Mirror Coat does the same thing, but after getting with a Special Aattack, inrespectiveadly. Safeguard protects Wobbuffet and its teammates from status for a few turns, which can allow teammates to come in safely withoutn any fear of beiEng corippled by status move.

Set Details
========
The investment in HP and physical dDefense allows to Wobbuffet to survive a Knock Off from Life Orb Bisharp while holding an item, which can be handy in a pinch. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Defense to allow Wobbuffet to handle special attacks much easier. Sitrus Berry is preferred over Leftovers because Wobbuffet wants to have an instant form of recovery, especially onced it gbets worn down ca lot. Aluso,e using up an item allows Wobbuffet to take Knock Offs better once its Sitrus Berry is used up. Leftovers can be used instead for gradual recovery, but Sitrus Bhowerry is prefverred for the reasons stated.

Usage Tips
========
Wobbuffet is a team supporter primarily for offensive teams tohat traps and weakens or KOes Pokemon that are causing problems with Wobbuffet's teammates. However, Wobbuffet is best brought in when a teammate has been KOed, or from a U-turn or Volt Switch. Wobbuffet should not be played too recklessly, as it gets worn down rather easily, but one must not be afraid to use it in fear of it getting worn down. Be smart with using Encore due to its low PP, but again, do not be afraid to use it. Encore in general is meant to take advantage of the opponent; for example, Wobbuffet can be used as an anti-lead by locking the opponent into Stealth Rock for a teammate to take advantage of. A Wobbuffet user should be wary that Wobbuffet dislikes Knock Off users, but can actually beat some of them one-on-one, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T.

Team Options
========
It is commonly conceived that Wobbuffet does not fit onto offensive teams very well because it lacks immediate power. On the contrary, this notion is false: Wobbuffet provides valuable support for offensive teams, and prefers fitting onto offense more than a balanced team. For teammates, Wobbuffet greatly appreciates Healing Wish support, because it gets worn down very easily., so Latias and Jirachi are thus good teammates, besing ablce to providhey bothis folearmn ofHealing Wisupporth. Wobbuffet's combination of Shadow Tag + Encore can benefit setup sweepers by giving them free turns to set up. Lucario and Mega Charizard X appreciate Wobbuffet's support, and also appreciates its ability to trap and KO Excadrill, whom the two usually struggle with. Other setup sweepers, such as Dragonite and Diggersby, can fit as well. Wobbuffet is troubled a lot by Bisharp, who can threaten to KO Wobbuffeit after some prior damage with Knock Off, or try to force it oPut and trap suit with; as Pursuit. Ach, Fighting-type,s such as Terrakion or Keldeo, make isfor a good teammates to handle Bisharp. Landorus-I pairs well with Wobbuffet if it is running Destiny Bond, being able to lure in and cripple Latias and Chansey so they do not give Wobbuffet problems.

Other Options
########
Wobbuffet's movepool is really small and consists of only eight moves, so there really is not many other options. Tickle can be used with a Pursuit trapper to remove the opponent's walls from the match, but this is gimmicky at best, and Wobbuffet has better things to do. Destiny Bond looks good on paper to score a free KO once Wobbuffet is low on health, but it really misses losing either Encore or Safeguard, and thus doften lacks not have Speed rotom forpull it. Charmoff, and Splash are essentially huseless and aroe as cnomplete whastve room for timet.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bisharp**: Bisharp is a huge pain in the neck for Wobbuffet, as it can KO it with Knock Off, or can trap a weakened Wobbuffet with Pursuit. However, a Bisharp should not be too reckless, as trying to set up on it or failing to KO it can backfire and be exploited.
**Taunt + Status**: Taunt and Sstatus can debilitate Wobbuffet and can keep it from doing its job as efficiently. Poison and burns can wear down Wobbuffet, and other forms of status hinder it as well. Wobbuffet can function without Taunt, but needs more prediction.
**VoltTurn + Counter / Mirror Coat immunities**: The easiest way to handle Wobbuffet is to U-turn or Volt Switch into a Ghost- or Dark-Type, whirespectively; the former type beisng immune to Counter, or Volt Switchiangd into ahe Dlatterk Ttype, which beisng immune to Mirror Coat. This prevents Wobbuffet from doing its job, and minimizinges the damage it inflicts upon the opponent's team.

Comments:

A lot of fluff/unnecessary in the overview. I really don't like to see a bunch of small sentences, it's pretty telling that I combined four of them without any major problems. The very end is pretty weak "should be considered for a team" kinda makes no sense in a few ways;the part right before it is a much stronger end as well as not being problematic so it works out fine

Similarly, i combined the two Encore sentences, and the Counter and Mirror Coat sentences.

I think my explanation of Safeguard is much more what's happening;you're not just going to switch out unless a wall switches into you, and then you might as well encore it into something, which would be said status move so yea. A lot of walls would prefer to spam toxic, which stops setup to a degree and can't be countercoated, so you safeguard and then set up anyhow. Or stall them out of said status move, maybe, though they'd have to be slower.

If you want to say physical defense, you can just say Defense and it comes out the same

I don't think sitrus berry is so much about what you said exactly, what you say is somewhat related. the main point of sitrus is that it's better by far over short periods of time, like switching into an attack and avoiding a 2hitko, maybe avoiding a 3hitko (the knock off mention is good though). Also, what do you mean 'especially once it gets worn down a lot?' As for the lefties bit, you already explained why to use Sitrus Berry over them (or at least you should now), so no need to repeat yourself.

I don't think there's a common conception about Wobb being bad on offensive teams and everything you've said and do say should dispel any said conception anyhow. Plus that part was really long. Also, yea Wobb has a small movepool, who cares. No reason to mention Splash and Charm, i know you did that basically to cover its entire moveset but, no need really.

Pretty sure Wobb is not giving up Encore for Destiny Bond, so yea. Also its low speed is the main issue here. Maybe mention speed investment as a motherfucker for it.
I wanted to discuss adding Tyranitar into C&C because ScarfTar cannot OHKO Wobbuffet at full HP with Crunch and gets KOd back by counter. Support sets are usually weak, so Wobbuffet can afford taking a Crunch while it locks into a move with Encore. Mega Tar is really unexpected and be annoying to handle for sure, but this is why I wanted to discuss Tyranitar. Jukain Valentine aim Should I add Tyranitar to Checks and Counters?

I cannot implement your check at this exact moment, I will implement it later, when I have the time.

tehy

Banned deucer.
0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 54 HP / 232+ Def Wobbuffet: 228-270 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
(228, 230, 234, 236, 240, 242, 242, 246, 248, 252, 254, 258, 260, 264, 266, 270)

ofc pursuit does half of that, and full that when switching out

252 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 54 HP / 232+ Def Wobbuffet: 138-164 (25.8 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
(138, 140, 140, 144, 144, 146, 150, 150, 152, 152, 156, 156, 158, 158, 162, 164)

Counting SS, this has chipped off minimum half your life if you encore+counter (with sitrus, you have 125% life, it does 62.5% around), up to 10% more. Also worth noting;Counter won't one-shot back on a pursuit without rocks support.

In fact, counter won't one-shot a support set at all if it uses pursuit, unless you have a lot of prior damage (about 30%), so it can pursuit three times there (or mix it up with a special move).

So, yeah, i'd like this to be mentioned as a counter. More realistically, i'd like "pursuit" to be the counter instead of Bisharp, and just give a very strong mention to Bisharp, a somewhat mention to Tyranitar, and somewhere there throw out that any pursuit can be problematic (does bandzor still use pursuit? Hell, does anyone still use bandzor?)

Edit: and i should explain the real reason. Even though you can kill tar, it's capable of stacking a lot of unavoidable damage on you. As Wobb, your job's to revenge shit your team needs revenged, but if you take out tar instead (which your team might not give a shit about) it's kind of a problem. Yeah, tar's pretty lukewarm against you overall, but it's hard to check or counter a Stag mon and tar is at least doing an okay job at checking you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)