3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread

I actually see kanghaskan only with return. My ladder spot place is 1550 now for the most time, maybe youre somewhere else? And the japanese site is a bit too chaotic for me, i dont see how to navigate in it, can anybody help me?
High 1700, low 1800 and it's the exact opposite. Every trainer I run into goes with Fake out --> Double edge and nets themselves an easy kill

Well I use a Uxie lead. In this example:

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 76-91 (21.4 - 25.7%) -- 1.5% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 195-231 (55 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 229-270 (64.6 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Double edge+Fake out is capable of KOing me before I can react. It's even easier if you run adamant over jolly. I'm sure there are more examples, but that's the only one I have first hand experience with.

Wow, i just realised something funny: hippowdon is a counter for mega charizard y, but not a check. Cause if you start with hippowdon vs charizard, sand stream goes first, than goes away cause of drought, and then charizard can solarbeam it to pieces, but if you switch in on a flamethrower, flamethrower wont be as strong cause there is sand stream, and then hippowdon can ko charizard with rock slide, while charizard cant use solar beam in that turn! (This works not for physical hippowdons without sitrus berry tough).

This website has been really helpful. It's like the japanese smogon. With a little Google translate+Bulbagarden help, you can get thru some really interesting sets:

http://yakkun.com/xy/theory/
I think my google translate hates me :(

Was looking up stuff for mega-ven
"Double flame ice flight over
such times no rocky Mushidoku spirit dragon steel evil
half闘水power
four half grass and exhibit high performance in Taiamepa mainly thanks to the special durability and type. It can be said that there is a versatile hard to rot And I have a combo of harm barking sleep powder. To be or can be recovered Dokuhishi that is beginning to be noticed, you will say poison Poke dominant strain."

http://tangorin.com/general/odayaka
calm;  gentle;  quiet
why must so many natures be similar!

Last edited:
I think my google translate hates me :(

Was looking up stuff for mega-ven
"Double flame ice flight over
such times no rocky Mushidoku spirit dragon steel evil
half闘水power
four half grass and exhibit high performance in Taiamepa mainly thanks to the special durability and type. It can be said that there is a versatile hard to rot And I have a combo of harm barking sleep powder. To be or can be recovered Dokuhishi that is beginning to be noticed, you will say poison Poke dominant strain."

http://tangorin.com/general/odayaka
calm;  gentle;  quiet
why must so many natures be similar!
I had exactly the same! Couldnt make pasta of it.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have a Gastly I'm gonna train up to a Mega Gengar soon...thinking about giving it another shot for a Belly Drum Azumarill team. What's the best set for Mega Gengar to support Azumarill? I know I wanna use Destiny Bond at least.

I have a Gastly I'm gonna train up to a Mega Gengar soon...thinking about giving it another shot for a Belly Drum Azumarill team. What's the best set for Mega Gengar to support Azumarill? I know I wanna use Destiny Bond at least.
I'm not too great at singles, but maybe Wisp to weaken things a bit and cripple physical attackers. Energy Ball might be decent for weakening Rotom-W.

I can't think of much else Gengar would carry to support Azu.

mega gengar is best used in this instance as a perish song trapper. As you are using azumarill as your sweeper I would just use Gengar as an easy means to remove anything that threatens to stop your sweep. Max speed with sub, perish song, protect, and shadow ball/destiny bond/disable would be my suggestion.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I haven't faced either of those very often, but from the matches I've played against them, Sacred Sword Aegislash is decent option for the first two, since its immune to Toxic / Seismic Toss (and resistant to Moonblast) and iirc Sacred Sword ignores the evasion boost from Minimize (or I could just be really lucky n_n), which lets you do very well against them for the most part. Gengar probably works decently as well, since like Aegislash its also immune to Toxic / Seismic Toss / resistant to Moonblast, though because its frailer its probably a lot less reliable. Otherwise, just hope you can hit your super effective STAB attacks I guess :s.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sacred Sword does in fact ignore all stat modifiers, which includes defense and evasion boosts, so Aegi is a great counter to them. Only trouble is I find it hard to fit Sacred Sword onto his moveset...

Mega Gengar is probably better as it can trap them and get rid of them with Perish Song

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sacred Sword does in fact ignore all stat modifiers, which includes defense and evasion boosts, so Aegi is a great counter to them. Only trouble is I find it hard to fit Sacred Sword onto his moveset...

Mega Gengar is probably better as it can trap them and get rid of them with Perish Song
Theoretically, any Perish Song user could work as they would be forced to switch or die, erasing their boosts and giving you another chance to take them out before the Minimizes begin to stack. non-mega Gengar, Politoed, CB Azumarill can all usually find a spare slot to use it for the lack of something better. Heck, even Mega Absol gets it if you want to be truly unexpected and weird. iirc Whirlwind avoids evasion boosts and forces them out but it's distribution is slightly worse and it's completely useless in a last-mon situation.

I just noticed Charizard is beaten by Rock Tomb more than Rock Slide in Battle Spot Singles.

I started to ask myself why and then I noticed Mega Kang can use Parental Bond Rock Tomb to neuter the speed of everything.

A 252 HP / 252 Atk Khan is starting to look appealing to me...

I just noticed Charizard is beaten by Rock Tomb more than Rock Slide in Battle Spot Singles.
I started to ask myself why and then I noticed Mega Kang can use Parental Bond Rock Tomb to neuter the speed of everything.
I think it's beaten more by rock tomb because rock tomb is a lot more standard on Chomp and chomp is so common.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Its been a while since i posted, but Talonflame counters are getting pretty common (or the jpn kids i battle) Zapdos, Tyranitar, Rotom Wash, and Heatran. (sometimes tyranitar and zapdos are on the same time aswell with Rotom Wash)

Its pretty hard to bring that Bird in the game..

Anyone tried Sub-Mega DD Gyarados?

Got a sub on a cresselia, and dragon dances, (only attacking moves were ice beam and physic.) With Icebeam doing nothing, and this guy did nothing to stop me, letting him to forfeit, as I killed the cresselia(+4). Its pretty effective on things are set up bait like heatran or cresselia duo.

How do you guys handle the "evil" minimize blissey/chansey/clefable
Scrappy Miltank with Body Slam. Body Slam punishes minimize abusers and scrappy allows it to hit Drifblim. Leftovers and Milk Drink keep it around and it is pretty bulky. Works for me anyways...

the only thing i hate about togekiss is the fact that it is your best friend and worst enemy. It is the most haxy thing on the face of gods green earth (sorry if that was considered racist in any way but can you really blame me). I love using the swagger, thunder wave, air slash set. Once you get cought in the its time to take a trip to hell.

This thing is looks so cute and harmless, until you see it across the field

If you look at this site http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#single, you can see the top twelve pokemon used in battlespot oras right now. I understand most of the changes with xy, as in salamence and one of his best counters porygon and zapdos, but i dont really understand why aegislash is on top. Do you guys have any idea? Salamence has earthquake and aegislash does not often wear balloon as item.

If you look at this site http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#single, you can see the top twelve pokemon used in battlespot oras right now. I understand most of the changes with xy, as in salamence and one of his best counters porygon and zapdos, but i dont really understand why aegislash is on top. Do you guys have any idea? Salamence has earthquake and aegislash does not often wear balloon as item.
Aegislash is simply great, even if its beaten by an eq

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
WP Aegislash can easily run enough bulk to tank an EQ from anything. Even if it isn't carrying a Weakness Policy, Aegislash is just so good and has such a great matchup against so many things (like every Fairy, Cresselia, Metagross, Gengar sometimes, I could go on) that it's practically guaranteed at least one kill in every match you bring it to. Sure, it's scared of Blaziken, Heatran, Landorus and Garchomp but that's pretty much the extent of what it's afraid of. I wouldn't say it's unfair at the same level that Kang, a well-played Salamence, or Blaziken is, but it's a force to be reckoned with and one of my favourite Pokémon this gen.

WP Aegislash can easily run enough bulk to tank an EQ from anything. Even if it isn't carrying a Weakness Policy, Aegislash is just so good and has such a great matchup against so many things (like every Fairy, Cresselia, Metagross, Gengar sometimes, I could go on) that it's practically guaranteed at least one kill in every match you bring it to. Sure, it's scared of Blaziken, Heatran, Landorus and Garchomp but that's pretty much the extent of what it's afraid of. I wouldn't say it's unfair at the same level that Kang, a well-played Salamence, or Blaziken is, but it's a force to be reckoned with and one of my favourite Pokémon this gen.
I agree on all these things, but it doesnt give a reason why, compared to the xy battlespot, it is used a lot more. In xy battlespot it is only fifth at the moment, after garchomp kanghaskan talonflame and gengar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)