Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I mean, if you're primarily a Melee/P:M player, Smash 4 isn't really going to be your game. It's mostly catering to the Brawl players that want a new experience.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The demo really is pretty shit though. So am I, as I discovered wow damn I still have to get a handle on the control man.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So you don't need to be a platinum club nintendo person, etc to get codes now? I'm currently updating my 3DS system crap and want to play afterwards!!
Na. The codes were just to allow you to play the demo early. Its now open to the public so the code is useless now. n_n

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Now that anyone can get the demo, you really have to feel bad for the people that traded shinies and paid actual cash just to get a code. Or make fun of them for it. Whatever strikes your fancy.

The demo really is pretty shit though. So am I, as I discovered wow damn I still have to get a handle on the control man.
The roster for the demo makes sense franchise-wise, but if you put the characters next to each other it's actually a pretty bad roster for variety/fun.

Lots of semi-zoning characters, very little fast paced characters who can kill somewhat early etc. (Mario is pretty difficult to kill with outside of good Bair and Nair, for me atleast)

Shoulda thrown CF or Marth in there, maybe a space animal.

Also I cannot get used to the controls so I'll pass on buying myself a copy, WiiU version will suit me fine.

Demo is demo though, so can't complain.

Villager has some Melee Jiggs levels of Wall of Pain, super easy to gimp people early with a slingshot -> slingshot combo after you throw them off stage and then you can set up your tree/gyro/tea-maker if need be

Villager is definitely a solid zoning/setplay character, but I wouldn't say anyone can have a "wall of pain" against (essentially) brawl airdodges.

Villager is definitely a solid zoning/setplay character, but I wouldn't say anyone can have a "wall of pain" against (essentially) brawl airdodges.
New Jiggs definitely has something close to wall of pain, lol.

Man playing this demo reminds how awful timer no stocks is, lol. Such a dumb mode, RKing combined with the high % kills in this game make Sudden Death so common for me unless I abuse the AI and gimp them.

Surprised I can download it, at least Nintendo can do something right lol.

Agreeing Villager seems the most fun of the demoed characters, even if I have no clue what his final smash did besides summoning Nook and his kids for a cameo. I reaaaallly hope they let you change the settings to let you move with the dpad instead, the circle pad both kinda sucks and, remembering all the GameCube controllers I wore out with melee, it won't last long, and I'd much rather break the little used dpad instead of the circle pad, which most games use as the control stick. If not, I don't think I'm going to find smash bros on the 3ds that exciting since I really don't want to get another if I break mine.

Last edited:

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Just imagine Lucario at high% now...oh jeez.
I actually watched a stream with it. The Aura itself is buffed for Lucario, so if Lucario manages to get a kill while at 100% or so damage, he can easily rack up a shitload of damage on the opponent, very quickly. The flipside of this is that he's super-weak when he has little damage on him, but he definitely looked way stronger than he did in Brawl.

Also no Pikachu or Link love itt :<

Saying your surprised you can download games from the eShop is like saying your surprised you can buy games at GameStop, but hey I don't know you, maybe you have never used the eShop or have bad wifi.
I was fully expecting it to crash or have crashed from before judging from how poorly other companies usually handle popular game downloads, so it was actually more of a compliment to Nintendo. Not that the act of downloading the demo itself is surprising lol.

I really hope there is some way to change the controls when the actual game comes out, maybe if I play more than 3 games I'll get used to it, but it's just way more comfortable for me to dodge with the L button and to grab with the R button than it is any other way.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I really hope there is some way to change the controls when the actual game comes out, maybe if I play more than 3 games I'll get used to it, but it's just way more comfortable for me to dodge with the L button and to grab with the R button than it is any other way.
It would be really bad if they didn't give any control options. The only thing for me really is the tilt jump. It basically stops you from doing U Tilts unless you buffer the command :(

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
megaman is absolute garbage
I wouldn't go that far. Mega Man has some cool approach options with dtilt and dash, and he has the best spike in the current roster. His recovery isn't that bad either, despite what has been circulating; I've found that I can usually recover if I'm not KO'd. I'm very curious to see how he turns out in tournament play since he has a lot of quick, disruptive options that can mess with flow, namely anything that shoots out those pellets. Probably won't be a top tier character, but that doesn't mean Mega Man doesn't have merits.

Anyways, I've been playing lots of the demo over the past ~12 hours. It took a while to get used to the controls, but now that I'm acclimated, it's a lot of fun. It hurts that the demo only have five characters available; it's painful to see Rosalina and Kirby as options and I CAN'T CHOOSE THEM. Having only two stages kind of blows too. I've logged the most time with Pink Villager (<3) and the zoning is real. Dtilt sets you up perfectly for slingshot shenanigans. I think that turnips have some sweet spot that can lead to spikes, because I got a spike last night. Can anyone confirm? I dunno if it has to do with turnip bundle size or what. I wish she was a bit less floaty, but what can you do.

Finally, I highly recommend hanging out with friends who have the demo. I live with two other guys and it was much more enjoyable to play the demo with people. These two weeks are going to be so slow, bleh.

Mr. Saturn is still in the game. He now completely breaks shields in one hit when thrown.
wow how did I miss this post hahahaha

in other related news, chopped trees also break shields and Shield Breaker is incredibly faster now. Crash bomb also does a doozy on shields when it explodes, but shielding the projectile itself makes it disappear, oddly enough.

edit - man I still haven't played the demo with other people yet, besides over skype lol. maybe now that the public demo's out. can confirm that villager downair has some sort of spike sweetspot. also megaman is good lol. His kill moves are limited but he's nearly as hard to approach as Olimar and Snake, lol. abuse his pivot tilt.

Also, Lucina seems to have an odd niche. Some players prefer her over Marth since the lack of a Usmash tipper gives her an actual vertical kill move on the ground, and Shield Breaker and Fsmash are just much easier to land the kill/shieldbreak with. Also, Dair still has a tip oddly enough.

Here's a really good Lucina set that also made me take a second look at Palutena.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far. Mega Man has some cool approach options with dtilt and dash, and he has the best spike in the current roster. His recovery isn't that bad either, despite what has been circulating; I've found that I can usually recover if I'm not KO'd. I'm very curious to see how he turns out in tournament play since he has a lot of quick, disruptive options that can mess with flow, namely anything that shoots out those pellets. Probably won't be a top tier character, but that doesn't mean Mega Man doesn't have merits.

Anyways, I've been playing lots of the demo over the past ~12 hours. It took a while to get used to the controls, but now that I'm acclimated, it's a lot of fun. It hurts that the demo only have five characters available; it's painful to see Rosalina and Kirby as options and I CAN'T CHOOSE THEM. Having only two stages kind of blows too. I've logged the most time with Pink Villager (<3) and the zoning is real. Dtilt sets you up perfectly for slingshot shenanigans. I think that turnips have some sweet spot that can lead to spikes, because I got a spike last night. Can anyone confirm? I dunno if it has to do with turnip bundle size or what. I wish she was a bit less floaty, but what can you do.

Finally, I highly recommend hanging out with friends who have the demo. I live with two other guys and it was much more enjoyable to play the demo with people. These two weeks are going to be so slow, bleh.
There is a glitch in the demo that enables you to unlock characters iirc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)