Fairy Face-Off Competition

Ran some calcs. I wanted to see if Togekiss could under any circumstances survive a +2 Attack Iron Head from Mawile (let's assume you get into a really awful scenario against a Trick Room team). It cannot, without Focus Sash:

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 123-145 (103.3 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, without Swords Dance, Bold Togekiss with Babiri Berry can survive an Iron Head even without Defense Investment.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Babiri Berry Togekiss: 78-93 (65.5 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sucker Punch on 252/0 Bold Togekiss only does 21-26%. So with only minor Defense investment and a Babiri berry, Togekiss can survive both. Flamethrower will always be a 2HKO, even without Special Attack investment.

Here's the other thing: at level 30, it takes a lot of EVs to make a difference in damage calcs. Test everything. This means you may be able to run well under what you think and get the same result.

Here's the upshot of everything: Bold Togekiss @ Barbiri Berry needs exactly 252 HP/52 Defense to be able to survive both Iron Head and Sucker Punch every time, save for critical hits. The next appreciable difference in calcs doesn't come in until you run 64 Defense EVs, and only increases survivability by a few percentage points.

That'll give you the win one-on-one outside of Trick Room, though it's obviously still not ideal. Use that information how you will.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Whiskey Tango I did a handful of calcs for adamant vs. careful mawile earlier, but it's good to know about babiri berry.

I've been checking off-and-on for when the Fairy Face-Off would show up on pokemon showdown, and I see its available now. ^_^

Might not have time to build and test for this tonight, but I'll probably be testing team ideas on sim tomorrow.

Nope, not happening until my new laptop cable comes. This old desktop can't handle PS. T_T

Last edited:
This is what I personally run

Gardevoir @ Focus Sash
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Synchronoise
- Shadow Ball

My lead pokemon. I set up a trick room fr my own mawile, and if theopponent leads with mawile i burn it. Synchronoise does heavy damage too, and shadow ball is there for opposing gardevoirs

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang

Basically the main pokemon on this team. It comes in and iron heads every thing to death in trickroom. Fire Fang Takes care of other mawiles and sucker punch can clean up

Gardev
Togekiss @ Razor Claw/King's Rock
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Ancient Power

the flinch hacks of air slash are AMAZING. flamethrower gets rid of annoying mawiles, and ancient power is there to deal with opposing togekiss.

Playing a few matches. I definitely know my team now. Big ups to the post above for the Gardevoir set, though. In the interest of time, I'm going to do this with three real Pokemon and three fillers for team preview.

EDIT -- One more note. On a lot of Pokemon 4 EVs don't make a difference at level 30. For example, the above Garevoir is wasting EVs. The closest spread that actually utilizes them all is 252 HP/12 Def/232 SpA/12 SpDef.

You're losing two points in your final Special Attack but not wasting any EVs this way, and moving those two points into Defense and Special Defense instead. I doubt if you need those two offensive points for anything. At least I couldn't find any use for them when calcing Synchronoise scenarios (Showdown doesn't include this move in its calculator for some reason right now, but I manually put in a 120 BP Psychic move to check with).

Last edited:
Razor Claw/King's Rock only adds flinch chance to moves that don't already cause flinching. The added flinch chance is also not affected by serene grace. Use a better item like a babiri berry!
actually, razor claw raises crit hit ratio. king's rock adds flinch chance to other moves. but thanks for the advice! i dont know why i didnt think of babiri berry earlier

This could be an idiot new guy question but if you're running trick room why run adamant and modest on Mawile and Togekiss respectively? Wouldn't Brave/Quiet with 0 speed IVs be best?

This could be an idiot new guy question but if you're running trick room why run adamant and modest on Mawile and Togekiss respectively? Wouldn't Brave/Quiet with 0 speed IVs be best?
Depends on how Trick Room-dependent you want your team to be. There's logic for both. Mawile already underspeeds everything in the competition not also named Mawile.

And, actually, I'm going to tell you right now it's a bad idea to run slow Togekiss or to assume you'll ever get to a third Pokemon with Trick Room still up in singles.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Depends on how Trick Room-dependent you want your team to be. There's logic for both. Mawile already underspeeds everything in the competition not also named Mawile.

And, actually, I'm going to tell you right now it's a bad idea to run slow Togekiss or to assume you'll ever get to a third Pokemon with Trick Room still up in singles.
In addition to this, 4 Speed MMawile outspeeds -Spe Togekiss in Trick Room (71 Speed vs 76 Speed). MMawile needs 52 Speed EVs to outrun -Speed Togekiss outside of Trick Room or for Togekiss to outspeed it in TR. Same goes for Gardevoir, which is in the same speed tier.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Playing a few matches. I definitely know my team now. Big ups to the post above for the Gardevoir set, though. In the interest of time, I'm going to do this with three real Pokemon and three fillers for team preview.

EDIT -- One more note. On a lot of Pokemon 4 EVs don't make a difference at level 30. For example, the above Garevoir is wasting EVs. The closest spread that actually utilizes them all is 252 HP/12 Def/232 SpA/12 SpDef.

You're losing two points in your final Special Attack but not wasting any EVs this way, and moving those two points into Defense and Special Defense instead. I doubt if you need those two offensive points for anything. At least I couldn't find any use for them when calcing Synchronoise scenarios (Showdown doesn't include this move in its calculator for some reason right now, but I manually put in a 120 BP Psychic move to check with).
Or you could run 252 HP / 24 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD with a Quiet Nature - you keep the same HP and SpD stats, gain an extra Def point and increase your SpA by one too. Not too major but an improvement nonetheless.

Or you could run 252 HP / 24 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD with a Quiet Nature - you keep the same HP and SpD stats, gain an extra Def point and increase your SpA by one too. Not too major but an improvement nonetheless.
Huh. Wish I'd looked at that before I bred. Oh well. Thanks for that, though.

> No sleep clause
Do you think Yawn/Protect/Wish Sylveon could be a thing?
No, because that gets utterly destroyed by Mawile. You have to take a hit on that Yawn turn, and it's going to hurt. Also very susceptible to Togekiss flinch shenanigans. And say they're asleep, so great, but now what? You need something that can dish out damage more quickly than Sylveon can in this format, and second-turn wake-ups are always possible.

Sylveon won't be/isn't a serious contender here. I wouldn't try a full-on disruptive/support set outside of the Prankster Pokemon.

I realize you may be coming from Smogon formats, but sleep clause has never been a thing anywhere on the Battle Spot formats, singles included. Sleep can definitely be useful with the right setter, but it's not horribly reliable and isn't a game-defining technique.

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Has anyone considered Healing Wish in this format? One Mawile may be a tough nut to crack already, but two Mawiles might just be close to impossible to break. Gardevoir seems like a decent candidate for it, and can probably get away with single-type coverage in Synchronoise.

Has anyone considered Healing Wish in this format? One Mawile may be a tough nut to crack already, but two Mawiles might just be close to impossible to break. Gardevoir seems like a decent candidate for it, and can probably get away with single-type coverage in Synchronoise.
Haven't seen that at all yet, but it could have some utility.

I think the issue is more in finding a situation in which you'll have Mawile sitting around with less than full HP, since the format sees very little switching and is dominated by one- or two-hit-KOs.

It could happen if you wind up with Gardevoir and Mawile left against a Togekiss who needs to get two hits on Mawile, for example, but it seems kind of niche. I don't know. Try it.

Gardevoir with only Synchronoise for offense is definitely okay.

Woah, this is crazy. On the German website for the rules there's a nasty typo. It states that only Fairy-Types and dual-type Pokemon can compete, as long as one of the types is "Flying"!
This would cause that only pure Fairy-Types, Togetic and Togekiss would be allowed. I hope this isn't true because it would be pretty lame without Gardevoir, Mawile and Azumarill.
I don't know how many are from Germany here but I wanted to hint that the rules on the German website are most likely a typo.

I've had a play around with special, LO Sheer force mawile, and it has had some pretty good usability. Can:

OHKO other mega mawile with fire blast and 2hko with flash cannon
OHKO/severly damage most fairies with STAB flash cannon
Able to sludge bomb dedenne for sizable damage

It is pretty good, and, in a BO1 situation, you need all the surprises you can get. Since a few mawile run hyper cutter for mawile mirrors, it can cause some devastating results, as they may expect a mega mawile, and they take the flash cannon/

I saw it work quite well earlier in the format, but rarely now. it can work, it just has to be at the right moment.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hey Guys! Do you need fairies to use to compete in this upcoming competition? Are you contemplating bringing half a box of serious pokemon and half a box of filler because you won't have time to raise a full team? (looking at you, Whiskey Tango) ;-P

I've got fairies! Free to anyone who wants them! Just visit the Battle Spot Distribution (link in sig) and let me know what you need! I'd prefer if you list all the pokemon you need in your initial post so I can batch clone them all at once. Make sure you follow all instructions and rules posted there, and please ask for pokemon there, and not here.

Here's a basic list of fairies I've got available for you guys (I'm still processing the massive number of new donations, so there's a few still unlisted, including a careful mawile with Ray Rizzo's Virginia Regionals EV spread, a basic spread adamant mawile, a bold klefki, a spritzee (will need training, I have the evolution item), and a timid disruptor dedenne with entrainment, eerie impulse, charm, and volt switch.

Azumarill (M)
Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed
Huge Power
OT: Heather
ID: 47797
Egg Moves: Aqua Jet, Belly Drum, Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Super Power
Special thanks to Pyritie for the donation!

Gardevoir (F)
Sassy 252 HP / 12 Def / 232 Sp.Atk / 12 SpDef -- Spread by Whiskey Tango
Trace
OT: Ian
ID: 52834
Egg Moves: Synchronoise
- Will-o-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Synchronoise
- Shadow Ball
Special Thanks to Whiskey Tango for the donation!
Special Thanks to Untouchable82 for leveling and EVing this pokemon.
Special Thanks to Age of Kings and cant say, who were also willing to help get this pokemon battle ready.
Note: This pokemon was bred specially for the Fairy Face-Off competition, but can also be adapted to Eggy Emporium's Trick Room Setter Spread

Gardevoir
Ability: Trace
Modest 86 HP / 196 Sp.Atk / 228 Speed (Eggy Emporium's Dragon Slayer Spread)
31/x/31/31/31/31
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball / Other Coverage
Note: This gardevoir is KB, so does not have access to Hyper Voice, and is not recommended for use as Mega Gardevoir. This gardevoir's EV spread is designed to work while holding a choice scarf. If you wish to try him out with a different held item (choice specs, for example), he will need to be re-EV trained. When holding a choice scarf, he outspeeds max speed non-scarfed noivern by 1 point. By putting the rest of the investment in HP, it affords him greater survivability in a metagame filled with powerful physical attackers.

Mawile (M)
Brave 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Intimidate
OT: CAMP
ID: 48780
Egg Moves: Ice Fang, Fire Fang
- Iron head
- Rock Slide
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
Special thanks CatataFish_6 to for the donation!

Togekiss (M)
Nickname: Kissy Face
Bold 244 HP / 148 Def / 4 Sp.Atk / 100 Sp.Def / 12 Speed
Serene Grace
OT: Lark
ID: 10537
Egg Moves: Nasty Plot, Morning Sun, Lucky Chant
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Follow Me (Pre-evolution move)
- Roost
Note: This togekiss provides huge utility as redirection support in battle spot doubles. Highly recommended. Also, follow me is a pre-evolution only move. If this togekiss forgets that move, you cannot take the pokemon back to the move relearner to get it back.

Togekiss (M)
Nickname: Kiss Kiss
Bold 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Atk
Super Luck (HA)
OT: Lark
ID: 10537
Egg Moves: Nasty Plot, Morning Sun, Lucky Chant
- Dazzling Gleam
- Follow Me (Pre-evolution move)
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
Note: I needed a specialized support togekiss for a prior competition that could provide speed control in addition to redirection support, so I bred this togekiss. For general purpose use, I would recommend the togekiss listed above. The only reason I'm even adding this to the distribution is because it might provide utility for the upcoming Fairy Face-Off competition, and Pyritie mentioned that they might want a super luck togekiss. I'll probably remove this togekiss after the competition is complete. Also, follow me is a pre-evolution only move. If this togekiss forgets that move, you cannot take the pokemon back to the move re-learner to get it back.

Are you contemplating bringing half a box of serious pokemon and half a box of filler because you won't have time to raise a full team? (looking at you, Whiskey Tango) ;-P
Oh, it's not even contemplating. More like committing.

Follow Me Clefable and random Wonder Trade Dedenne are going to be putting in some serious cheerleader time. Gotta have that backbone of morale.

Hey Guys! Do you need fairies to use to compete in this upcoming competition? Are you contemplating bringing half a box of serious pokemon and half a box of filler because you won't have time to raise a full team? (looking at you, Whiskey Tango) ;-P
IIRC, I've got most of mine sorted. Just need to sort out my togekiss (Just need to transfer over my ditto) and finally decide on my final. I'm thinking either clefable, klefki and granbull

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder to those that are participating that registration is now open for the tournament. I think you can register right up until the competition starts but I figured I'd register before I forget. Best of luck to everyone participating.

i myself am going to atempt to do a wish core:

Clefable life orb
evs: 252 hp/252 sp.d/4 sp.a
nature: calm
moves:
wish
calm mind
moon blast
flamethrower

aromatise leftovers
evs: 252 hp/ 252 def/ 4 sp.a
nature: bold
moves:
aromapherapy
wish
moonblast protect

probably gonna use gaurdivoir, mega maw,grandbull, klefki and then either togi or azuma

i myself am going to atempt to do a wish core:

Clefable life orb
evs: 252 hp/252 sp.d/4 sp.a
nature: calm
moves:
wish
calm mind
moon blast
flamethrower

aromatise leftovers
evs: 252 hp/ 252 def/ 4 sp.a
nature: bold
moves:
aromapherapy
wish
moonblast protect
Calcs at level 30:

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Clefable: 192-228 (153.6 - 182.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 44-54 (44.8 - 55.1%) -- 60.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 90-108 (43.2 - 51.9%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO and Aromatisse is slower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)