Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Link downspike so slow?!?! You tilt down on the nub and he falls like a rock, but mix in the A button and he falls like a feather. ;-;

Mega Man is perfect, or well, he would be if I could reliably do the Mega Upper, damn you, Tap Jump!

But other than that, I love him, I can see why many don't enjoy him, since he doesn't lend himself to the typical hyper agressive style, but once you get the hang of him, he is fantastic.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Villager abuses megaman sometimes when he puts his charged hand blast in his pocket and ko megaman with his own move. Its such a hilarious move.

Yeah, I suspect Pocketing will be the bane of many character matchups, haha. Just the fact that Villager can sometimes unleash a fully charged Fsmash in an instant because the opponent chose Megaman is something. You can also pocket thunder and cast it downwards from yourself, which I found hilarious. I suspect several moves will also have slightly less startup lag when the Villager's using them, which all in all is just too hilarious. It's also worth noting that you can pocket Smartbombs(or even Bob-ombs!) when standing next to or holding them, which lets you use your A moves and then pull your item out later for a combo finisher.

Villager is an amazing inception.

I really hope there is some way to change the controls when the actual game comes out, maybe if I play more than 3 games I'll get used to it, but it's just way more comfortable for me to dodge with the L button and to grab with the R button than it is any other way.
This, not to mention I really don't want to break the circle pad, if melee was any indication I wear out control stick real easily (plus circle pad is awkward to use to begin with since it's not a true stick, would rather use the dpad in that regard for directional movement like in a regular fighter game).

Megaman...was disappointing. He just feels half-baked to me, I was sorta expecting more his B to be firing shots and charging, not his normal attack and smashes to be firing the blaster. Granted that would probably make him too similar to Samus, but still...he doesn't really play the way I thought he would even with that aside.

So what does Villager's normal B do, kinda confused with that and his final smash. He has so many awesome recovery options though from riding those stupid totem things (god I hated how useless those are and how much space they took up in Animal Crossing) to his Balloon Fighter Up B.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Does anyone know what the fuck is up with the fairy in the bottle (I'm p. sure it's a Zelda item)? Like, I've sat there smashing at it for a while and nothing has ever come of it.

Also, grabbing items in general is wayyy harder in this one, like you have to be directly on top of the item in order to pick it up which I find incredibly annoying. I'm so used to 64 where ninja grabbing is possible (being able to grab an item like 4 hitboxes away and even through other characters) lol or at least in Melee where you can stand arm's length away and still pick it up.

Echoing that Mega Man is kind of balls compared to the other characters, but at least he has some oomph on his attacks unlike Mario or Pikachu.

Link is fucking boss in this one holy shit. Actually great recovery for once in his life, fantastic B juggling options, some great improvements to his A attacks (except now his smash over A is kind of balls since the first swing hits too hard but ohwell).

Villager is awesome, I'll be surprised if he doesn't eventually become top tier with that amazing stage control.

Overall I'm super excited for this to come out on the Wii U, but holy shit I'm for sure not getting this for the 3DS. Grabbing and throwing items and blocking is absolute hell on the 3DS since the bumpers are so far out of place of where I normally hold the system and I'm not going to annihilate my hands and get carpal tunnel shifting how I hold it.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Does anyone know what the fuck is up with the fairy in the bottle (I'm p. sure it's a Zelda item)? Like, I've sat there smashing at it for a while and nothing has ever come of it.

Also, grabbing items in general is wayyy harder in this one, like you have to be directly on top of the item in order to pick it up which I find incredibly annoying. I'm so used to 64 where ninja grabbing is possible (being able to grab an item like 4 hitboxes away and even through other characters) lol or at least in Melee where you can stand arm's length away and still pick it up.

Echoing that Mega Man is kind of balls compared to the other characters, but at least he has some oomph on his attacks unlike Mario or Pikachu.

Link is fucking boss in this one holy shit. Actually great recovery for once in his life, fantastic B juggling options, some great improvements to his A attacks (except now his smash over A is kind of balls since the first swing hits too hard but ohwell).

Villager is awesome, I'll be surprised if he doesn't eventually become top tier with that amazing stage control.

Overall I'm super excited for this to come out on the Wii U, but holy shit I'm for sure not getting this for the 3DS. Grabbing and throwing items and blocking is absolute hell on the 3DS since the bumpers are so far out of place of where I normally hold the system and I'm not going to annihilate my hands and get carpal tunnel shifting how I hold it.
Fairy Bottles only open if you pick them up while at 100%+.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
How do you guys normally hold your 3DS..? Maybe it's because the majority of games I play on the system utilize the shoulder buttons, but my hands are naturally on the shoulders like... Well, like it should be held.

My only complaint with the controls is that L and R should be switched around imo. Grabbing on the right and dodging on the left just seems to work for me, so a few times I've pressed the wrong button and rolled right into an attack. I fond grabbing more difficult in this game than Melee or Brawl, but then again that's probably due to the grabs of the characters in this demo. Villager's net is cute aesthetically, but it skips over a target if they are too close in favour of a longer reach, which really isn't effective. Mega Man has decent range but seems to have a bit of starting lag, Pikachu's grabbing is tiny, and Mario not much better. Link's is actually fairly decent, but sometimes the hookshot fails to grab amd instead just pulls them towards you letting you get smashed...

Anyway, the AI seems to have improved, but I was still thrashing level 9s within about 3 hours of gameplay after getting the demo...

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah after using the gamecube controller for so long it's hard to readjust my mind to use my left hand for grabbing.

Sometimes the AI is genius, other times they stand there like idiots. More often than not I've been able to hit a stationary level 9 CPU with megaman's forward smash, and no allegedly thinking thing should ever fall for that.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My hands cramp so much when playing I can only go for a few rounds at a time before taking a break. The cramping isn't as bad as KI:U, but it's still annoying.

Personally, I'm not having a hard time getting used to the controls. Maybe it's because I was cheap and got a 2DS instead of a 3DS, but it's paying off right now because it's so much more comfortable to hold. I tried my brother's 3DS for a bit and could not handle it. Another part of the reason might be because I never played Smash that much and never got too attached to a particular controller.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here's a really good Lucina set that also made me take a second look at Palutena.
This made me realise that Palutena has quite a few similarities to Melee Mewtwo regarding their Psychic powers

Both have Teleport as their up B special
For their grabs, they both don't make physical contact with their opponent - they use telekenesis
None of their special moves make contact with the opponent
Both have the ability to disappear when dodging
Both their Up Smashes don't involve physical contact - Mewtwo creates dark purple energy, where as Palutena has her ridiculous light beam

Mewtwo could have potentially been made a Palutena clone if it were not for Palutena's staff and some further changes.

I'm pleasantly surprised not to be experiencing any hand cramping or discomfort playing among the many reports of others having a difficult time playing for extended periods. I'm getting reasonably physical with my 3DS to boot. Maybe I have playing a shit ton of Mario Kart 7 in May to thank? It's really strange, I even use the D-pad mostly in XY so I haven't used the circle pad for too many other games.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Am I the only one who feels that the Smash 4 items are a little too dominating? I know a lot of people didn't like playing with them in the earlier games, but at least they were fun for some and had their strengths and weaknesses with only a few exceptions. In Smash 4 every other item seems capable of KOing at a low percentage - even discounting the Pokemon, Final Smashes and Assist trophies, stuff like the X-Bomb, the Scarab (or whatever it's called), the Galaga Ship, the Ogre club, the Daybreak, the Dragoon and others are pretty much huge, instant advantages for whoever gets them first, making the non-omega matches less of a battle and more of a scramble for items. I enjoyed the items in every other game, but the Smash 4 items are too decisive.

e: special shout out to the Gust Bellows for being the most fucked up item of them all, as it's an instant KO on anyone off the stage regardless of percentage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)