The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I guess this depends on the relative scale you're using to rate something as smart. Right now in 2014 pattern recognition is a pretty advanced feature only in super cutting edge AIs, like the kinds being made for university research or something, but if a person did what the AI did I would call them dumb. recognizing patterns and "predictive analysis" are the fundamental tools our brains use to understand the world around us. So someone who can't guess that in a certain scenario I'll take option A based on the fact that I took option A the last 3 times I was in the same scenario, then they are probably being a little dumb. Like you said, no one would let their Gallade burn to death. So perhaps this is just being relatively dumb.

And on the contrary I actually have seen the AI predict switches before, although I assume the way this works is that the AI just made it decision after I input my choice. If you've ever tried the "mock battle" feature on your vs recorder the AI actually makes smart switches like bringing a Water Absorb Pokemon into your Scald. You might call that "cheating" but in some ways it's actually the simplest way for the AI to "fake intelligence." As real players can guess their opponent's moves a certain ratio of the time based on more complex concepts like pattern recognition that require crazy algorithms in computers. So having the AI correctly "predict" your move and take the best course of action based on that "prediction" some ratio of the time can actually much better simulate player v player matches.

At any rate it's not as "dumb" as say, making your castform fire type the turn the enemy is already underground from using a dig that's about to hit you. Because, yeah, the AI was at least taking the right option in the moment. However I would still call this battle pretty dumb, lol
So you still think it was dumb for the AI to not predict the switch despite all that 'complex algorithm' stuff you said in the first paragraph? Like I said, it was still choosing the best option for the situation being presented to it at the time, albeit very predictable, we are just able to abuse that which is just an advantage of being human.

Don't get me wrong, the AI definitely has it's moments, like the Castform example you gave, or using Explosion while you're flying or charging up a Solar Beam when you're in KO range of another move already etc... I just don't think it's fair to call the AI dumb for not predicting switches which is already a difficult skill to do properly for some people, let alone an AI which (like you said) would require a serious amount of programming to pull off

So you still think it was dumb for the AI to not predict the switch despite all that 'complex algorithm' stuff you said in the first paragraph?
lol, yeah I certainly would call it dumb

You didn't read my whole post maybe? Cause there's a significant part dedicated to how the code can predict switches without being complex and how the AI does actually do this. But even without that, this is still the computer being dumb. Especially depending on how you want to define "the situation presented at the time" because part of the "situation" is that I have a Ghost Type/ Normal Type on my team that could switch in at any moment. And the AI completely ignored that part of the situation while it burned to death...

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I can't figure out if the AI in the battle institute was being incredibly brilliant, or incredibly stupid. I lead with garchomp and ttar. The opponent leads with snover and fennekin. Snover is slower than ttar, so up goes hail. No big deal, I think as I mega evolve to bring back the sand. Then...fennekin uses sunny day. Brilliant, if the AI knew I would be mega evolving to bring back the sand, but pretty stupid otherwise.

Reactions: JES
Me and my friend were doing the Multi Battle challenge in X/Y and around trainer 60 we hit some broken Ai patch. We had one battle where the Ai spammed earthquake on my magnet rise metagross (my friend had a choice scarf garchomp in the back. so i kinda just kept my metagross in the air most of the time its a weird strategy but oddly effective) and my friends thunderous witch effectively killed their left side of the field for us. A few battles later we had a shiftry use sunny day just to use explosion next turn. Pro Strats.

Another time was when we did a drought 9tails and chlorophyll blossom combo cause gotta go fast. The Ai used mostly water and ground types to "counter" us. it was beautiful.

Another time was when we did a drought 9tails and chlorophyll blossom combo cause gotta go fast. The Ai used mostly water and ground types to "counter" us. it was beautiful.
Reminds me of my Drizzle team in the Battle Subway where my Thundurus has a great time murdering Gastrodons, Quagsire and Swamperts with Grass Knot. Anyway, I also had one battle in the Battle Tower of HGSS where I had a Salamence and Metagross against a Rhydon (or was it Rhyperior, can't remember). I know I can't OHKO with EQ so after the Intimidate, I switched to Meta to take the Stone Edge, and back to Mence to take EQ. This allows me to stall SE out of PP and I set up DD after the Intimidates.

Hitmontop using gyro ball after agility on my paralyzed bisharp. I couldn't understand why until I found out after two turns of paralysis(hax) that it had no fighting type attacks except for quick guard.

This happened yesterday in Diamond: I'm battling the two Ace Trainers right before Veilstone City (the ones that everyone has a hard time with). I have Buizel and Murkrow out; they have Kadabra and Monferno out. Kadabra uses Miracle Eye... on Buizel.
*clap*...*clap*...*clap*
That's good if Buizel is spamming Double Team (also makes the foe's evasion boosts have no effect), but it's best to do it after it boosts.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A few battles later we had a shiftry use sunny day just to use explosion next turn. Pro Strats.
Not saying this is the best strategy the AI could have gone with, but setting up sun for teammates, then getting off a quick Explosion isn't a terrible strategy.

Have there ever seen strong AIs that used Explosion? All that I've ever seen are Hikers demanding their Gravelers to use Selfdestruct on Turn 1. :(
Admittingly, this is usually only seen with Hikers since they are typically the only ones with Pokémon that know those moves.

Have there ever seen strong AIs that used Explosion? All that I've ever seen are Hikers demanding their Gravelers to use Selfdestruct on Turn 1. :(
There are a few of them in the Battle Maison, if you count it. There's Lickilicky, Golem, Steelix, and Gigalith off the top of my head

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
There are a few of them in the Battle Maison, if you count it. There's Lickilicky, Golem, Steelix, and Gigalith off the top of my head
This reminded me of when a Lickilicky in the Battle Maison used explosion in a triple battle on the first turn. It wasn't that bad of a move against my team once you get past that he had a Kingdra with Damp on the battlefield.

We've all seen the NPC trainers who spam non attacking moves before, but here's my personal favorite: a Ninjask in Ruby that spammed... Agility. Gotta go fast.

On a similar note, in that game's Battle Tower, there's at least one Ninjask with a Salac Berry. Granted, that may be more GF being weird than dumb AI, but still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)