Metagame ORAS RU: Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Banned deucer.
ORAS is nearly a month away, and with all the new information on both the megas and their stats, along with the new various moves given to certain Pokemon, this is a perfect time to turn this thread into a pure speculation thread. Below, you'll find some useful information:

New Level-Up Moves: http://pastebin.com/vJX9K9ni

List of move tutor and tm moves: http://pastebin.com/zwG6puPT

List of Egg moves: http://pastebin.com/hzFmncB6

And below, you'll find the list of legal RU Megas, their abilities, and stats:
First, we got Mega Sharpedo:

Confirmed ability: Strong Jaws

Stats: 70/140/70/110/65/105

Typing: Water/Dark

Second, we got Mega Camerupt:

Confirmed ability: Sheer Force

Stats: 70/120/100/145/105/20

Typing: Fire/Ground

Third, we got Mega Altaria:

Confirmed ability: Pixilate

Stats: 75/110/110/110/105/80

Typing:
Dragon/Fairy

Fourth, we got Mega Sceptile:

Confirmed ability: Lightning Rod

Stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145

Typing:
Grass/Dragon

Fifth, we got Mega Lopunny:

Confirmed ability: Scrappy

Stats: 65/136/94/54/96/135
Typing: Normal/Fighting

Additional info: Confirmed to have received High Jump Kick as seen in one of the trailers.

Sixth, we got Mega Audino:

Confirmed ability: Healer

Stats: 103/60/126/80/126/50

Typing: Normal/Fairy

Seventh, we have Mega Gallade:

Confirmed ability: Inner Focus

Stats: 68/165/95/65/115/110

Typing:
Psychic/Fighting

Eighth, we have Mega Beedrill:

Confirmed ability: Adaptability

Stats: 65/150/40/15/80/145
Typing: Bug/Poison

Ninth, we have Mega Pidgeot:

Confirmed ability: No Guard

Stats: 83/80/80/135/80/121
Typing: Normal/Flying

Tenth, we have Mega Steelix:

Confirmed ability: Sand Force

Stats: 75/125/230/55/95/30
Typing: Steel/Ground

Eleventh, we have Mega Glalie

Confirmed ability: Refrigerate

Stats: 80/120/80/120/80/100
Typing: Ice

----------

So what do you guys think? How will these new Mega Pokemon and changes impact RU? What sets will likely be viable? How good do you think these Pokemon will be overall? Discuss!

Note: You may also use this thread to post replays of you and someone else challenging each other to a game of RU with these legal new megas/moves.

Calling it right now, Mega Sharpedo is going to be strong as hell. On the first turn you can Protect and not M-Evolve for a Speed Boost, and then after that you're virtually unstoppable. How? Because M-Sharpedo will carry a STAB and Strong Jaw boosted Crunch coupled with an Attack stat that's apparently going to be higher than 125, with the ability to run Adamant because you'll have +1 Speed on a Speed stat that's higher than 95. There's also the bonus that Ice Fang is now going to be boosted, so no more mixed Ice Beams. Good luck taking this thing down...

I'll post about the others later

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Wasn't Mega Camerupt said to get decreased speed? Or am I missing something?

Assuming that Mega Gallade gets the same base 100 speed that Mega Gardevoir got, I imagine it'll end up being banned right off, even with the pretty shitty ability. Audino may see usage as a cleric, but solely on stall, as a mega slot in general is worth more than what Mega Audino seems to offer atm. Lopunny, Sharpedo, Altaria and Sceptile will probably wreak havoc on the tier for a day or two before they inevitably get the boot/rise through usage. Camerupt seems like a really interesting tank, though that defensive typing is kind of piss poor, the offensive ability is neat and I can see it being used on bulky offense.

I'll start with saying that MAudino most likelt won't see much usage, if any, due to the loss of Regen and maintaining the Normal typing (which is bad due to the typing redundancy in) and having to fight against aromatisse with a better ability, better typing and access to Leftovers for residual healing.

Also. Camerupt is the coolest mega and will by default smash things.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Lopunny looks really a fun Pokemon to use in RU tbh and i feel like its one of the megas that's most likely to actually stay in the tier for more than three months. It's been hinted that it's getting a massive boost to its mediocre Attack stat (i'm gonna say around +40/+50, that's how much Lopunny will need to be honest and i think gamefreak knows that), and we know that it's getting a big boost to its already great Speed stat too, so it'll be able to outspeed a *very* large portion of the metagame (i wouldn't be surprised if we got something as fast as Accelgor here, but who knows). Combine this with two high base power STAB moves that have absolutely perfect perfect neutral coverage together thanks to Scrappy, and you have a pretty awesome offensive Pokemon on your hands.

That's not the only reason i'm excited for Mega Lopunny though, the real reason why i think Mega Lopunny will be so great is because of some of its access to Encore and Healing Wish. Both of these moves are quite excellent support options (Encore is great for stopping set up and granting teammates free switches, especially on a Pokemon as fast as Lopunny. Healing Wish is one of the best offensive support moves in the game), and because it has perfect coverage in just two high BP STABs it should have absolutely no issue fitting these (and other support moves for that matter, Lopunny's movepool is actually pretty wide) onto her sets. I think the standard Lopunny will end up looking like the importable below.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Encore
- Healing Wish

Some other sets i could see being viable on Lopunny include SubEndeavor, SubPunch, an all out attacker, and maybe some Baton Pass shenanigans thrown in there as well

On a final note, i'd like to draw a comparison between Mega Camerupt and Mega Abomasnow, they're pretty much confirmed to have similar stat spreads and will most likely be used in a similar way: as incredibly powerful wallbreakers that are kept in check by their poor Speed stat and common weaknesses.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
OK

Mega Sharpedo will be a monster. If it gets a small Speed boost, at +1(because you can protect a turn and get a boost) and Attack boost, with Strong Jaw it will deal HEAVY damage with crunch. It will be the premier late game cleaner. However, you only have one chance to clean up because you can only mevo once.

Camerupt will be incredibly powerful. with Sheer Force, its Earth Power and Fire Blasts will destroy pretty much every single defensive core in the game. Though its low Speed holds it back, I could see this getting banned because of its sheer force (he he gettit)

I have no idea what to make of Mega Sceptile other than it will be strong and fast.

For Lopunny, what Molk said.

Audino will just be bad. It has a cool typing, but it lost the main thing that made it viable. Also, no Leftovers sucks even though it gets wish and stuff

Gallade will be awesome. Hopefully it gets above 100 speed so it will be the best swords dance sweeper RU has ever seen (it might get that with only 100). I wish it got better than inner focus as an ability, but its Attack, Speed, and movepool will make it really great to use.

mega camerupt is literally god. sheer force fire blast might as well be one of the strongest unboosted attacks in the game(satk is definitely getting a big boost, since its the highest stat it has).

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet/Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp/Rock Slide
- Substitute

It has literally all the power and coverage it needs between fire blast and earth power, so it can run a sub wisp set to be a complete menace. if we look at the viable switchins to this thing in RU, literally only moltres and slowking can switch into this thing. and thats if it doesnt decide to carry rock slide! also, here's a calc assuming a +30 in satk:
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 205-243 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

not even fully special defense aromatisse is a safe switch in. and it needs to run HP fucking water if it wants to beat it!

mega camerupt is a fucking monster. no questions asked.

(that guy standing next to it is all of RU)

gonna edit in a list of camerupts best friends as the thread goes on:

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm actually looking forward to using Mega Metagross. The large speed boost, assuming it's somewhere 40-50, is going to be tremendous when combined with tough claws. I can definitely see something like the agility set becoming popular. The only problem I see with Mega Metagross, though, is the fact that tough claw-utilizing moves have low base attacks. And because it can't boost its attack (i.e. dragon dance, swords dance, etc), I don't see it becoming a gamebreakingly amazing pokemon.

Mega Salamence, on the other hand, is something I'm very interested to see whether or not it will be too much for OU, or enough to become top-tier OU pokemon again. If it can jut get 10+speed boost and full on defensive boost, even if it doesn't get any attack boost, Mega Salamence will be amazing. Mega Salamence will be very bulky and the 110 speed tier will really help it become...amazing(?).
Hey man, this thread is actually geared for RU discussion and thus only the megas that would be around in RU at the start of ORAS (all in the OP). Because neither Salamence nor Metagross would be RU at that point (and probably never will be) this isn't the right place for this :x. Still nice to hear your thoughts though!

if we look at the viable switchins to this thing in RU, literally only moltres can switch into this thing.

but yeah, other than av slowking, not too much in RU switches into this thing. camerupt seems like one of the most likely megas to stay RU by usage as well, and its traits that make it similar to mega abomasnow will make it very unlikely that it will be broken. just like moltres, pairing it with things like spiritomb will be cool too.

but yeah, other than av slowking, not too much in RU switches into this thing. camerupt seems like one of the most likely megas to stay RU by usage as well, and its traits that make it similar to mega abomasnow will make it very unlikely that it will be broken. just like moltres, pairing it with things like spiritomb will be cool too.
i realized my lapse in memory and edited it in shortly afterwards, sorry ._.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm actually looking forward to using Mega Metagross. The large speed boost, assuming it's somewhere 40-50, is going to be tremendous when combined with tough claws. I can definitely see something like the agility set becoming popular. The only problem I see with Mega Metagross, though, is the fact that tough claw-utilizing moves have low base attacks. And because it can't boost its attack (i.e. dragon dance, swords dance, etc), I don't see it becoming a gamebreakingly amazing pokemon.

Mega Salamence, on the other hand, is something I'm very interested to see whether or not it will be too much for OU, or enough to become top-tier OU pokemon again. If it can jut get 10+speed boost and full on defensive boost, even if it doesn't get any attack boost, Mega Salamence will be amazing. Mega Salamence will be very bulky and the 110 speed tier will really help it become...amazing(?).
This is RU. This is not OU. Salamence and Metagross are not RU (and probably never will be) and don't belong in this thread. Both mons on their own probably would be too powerful for this tier anyways lol. But yeah, this is not the thread for Mega Mence+Meta Speculation. (ninja'd by Molk but whatever)

Anyways, I'm super excited for Mega Sceptile. It'll be a really good Grass-type in the tier, having great Speed and power and a fine offensive movepool, it'll be a great Pokemon. Lightningrod will be a great ability, as even though Sceptile would already quad resist Electric, this allows Sceptile to nab a Special Attack boost off of a Volt Switch from Jolteon, Heliolisk, and Magneton while completely blocking the Volt Switch, which would make Mega Sceptile a great Volt Switch absorber, as it can then gain some extra power to use its attacks with. I would probably run a set of something like Leaf Storm / Focus Blast / Dragon Pulse / Giga Drain and it'll definitely be a really cool sweeper to use. Only problem is it probably will struggle a little against Virizion, but it'll definitely be pretty solid imo. SD might be usable with Dragon Claw as a STAB but relatively gimmicky.

Mega Camerupt reminds me a lot of Mega Abomasnow, who is already a very good Pokemon in RU. Mega Camerupt would be a nice bulky wallbreaker, as Sheer Force boosted Fire Blast and Earth Power honestly look to be really good and allow Camerupt to provide immense pressure on teams. It'll have nice bulk probably and its power will make it a force to be reckoned with. It'll probably remain around RU but it may move up to become one with the RU tier, since it looks to be pretty solid. I don't think it will be broken though because its Speed will cripple it.

Mega Sharpedo honestly looks to be incredible. Strong Jaw Crunch (and maybe even Ice Fang), along with having good power and Speed will make Sharpedo quite a terror to face on the battlefield. Sharpedo on its own is already a massive threat in RU as it stands, and Mega Sharpedo will only make it better. As said, it can protect for a Speed boost and then Mega Evolve, from which it can then just own stuff with its power. It'll definitely be really good and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets banned or rises to UU/OU.

Mega Audino will suck. Lol.

Anyways, that's just a few thoughts.

lol Mega Audino. lost everything that made it good for fairy typing.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if either Gallade or Sharpedo rise to UU because of their megas.

Molk pretty much said everything about Lopunny, Normal/Fighting with Scrappy is good coverage, and Lopunny has no shortage of support options.

RU will definitely be interesting with the release of ORAS either way.

sharpedo.png
yah bish

Mega Sharpedo looks interesting. I can definitely see the strategy being to revenge kill a slower opposing Pokemon, gaining a free Speed boost, and then mega evolving to gain the other boosts. I kinda like the idea of it.

That being said, Strong Jaw is a double-edged sword. I like Ice Fang and Crunch being boosted, but then again, you're forced to not mega evolve and get that immediate power that you would otherwise get. Essentially, it's a Life Orb boost for 2/3 of the moves Sharpedo uses. Meh.

All this in consideration, I doubt Sharpedo will change in terms of sets at all. I think the only difference will be that it can stop being forced to run protect and can use something interesting like Destiny Bond or Earthquake. Nothing too different except for a lot more power.

Mega Camerupt is a Mega I cannot see going lower than BL2 Honestly, It is probably going to get around 140-160 sp atk Along with about 100 in each defense along with a slight attack boost. A Flash Cannon will 2HKO on the standard Bold Florges set. Mega Camerupt will be a Strong UU Mega Like Blastoise or Ampharos. If Mega Sharpedo gets Thunder Fang and maybe Poison Fang by EM/Tutor perhaps. Mega Sharpedo will Most likely be up in BL Protect get a speed boost up. Mega Evolve then run house.

At first glance, Mega Sceptile is gonna be pretty evil with the ability to punish any and all electric moves. Thanks to Lightningrod, he can no longer be paralyzed by Thunder Wave (he just gets +1 from it). I'd actually imagine Mega Sceptile would shoot up in usage in OU (meaning you very well may lose it in RU) because it's a perfect counter to Rotom-W with that 4x resist to Water and the punishing immunity to Electric. Should be very interesting to see what happens.

At first glance, Mega Sceptile is gonna be pretty evil with the ability to punish any and all electric moves. Thanks to Lightningrod, he can no longer be paralyzed by Thunder Wave (he just gets +1 from it). I'd actually imagine Mega Sceptile would shoot up in usage in OU (meaning you very well may lose it in RU) because it's a perfect counter to Rotom-W with that 4x resist to Water and the punishing immunity to Electric. Should be very interesting to see what happens.
Just gonna point it out, despite it not being relevant to RU at all... you don't run a counter to Rotom-W. You check it and wear it down. Running a dedicated rotom-w counter is a bad idea, because it is not a big-hitting threat. Mega Sceptile will probably not florish in the OU metagame, simply because of it being unable to really break defensive teams, whilst still struggling against the faster or more priority-based tier.

But again, this is not related to RU

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just wanted to point out that Camerupt gets rock polish, meaning once you get any scarfer out of the way Camerupt most likely can sweep. (Hopefully its speed isnt to terrible after the mega evo) If its base 30, someone said it would be similar to mega abomasnow, then it can get 318 speed after the Rock Polish. Pretty fast, not incredibly fast, but still pretty fast.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi there. Seeing this thread got me really excited. :)

Please note that I just got into RU not that long ago, so I may not be super keen on how the new Megas might affect RU in particular, but I have some ideas to share based on what I do know so far. I know that some of these are likely to be banned from RU and therefore will not apply to the environment, but I'm going to speak on how they may interact with RU anyway, because this is a RU discussion.

I don't think that Mega Sharpedo will be getting that big of an offensive boost as far as its stats go, if all of them are supposed to increase (the usual stat increase for Megas is 100 base stat points in total, which must be spread across 5 stats). It doesn't really need the Speed increase due to the fact that it can use Protect in its original form for a safe Speed Boost turn before Mega Evolving. What's scary about this thing is that its Crunch attack will effectively have 180 Base Power, factoring in STAB and Strong Jaw. Sharpedo already has 120 base Attack, so an increase to that combined with Strong Jaw is going to really make Crunch hurt!

To give a general idea of the damage output here:

252+ Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 250-296 (80.1 - 94.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

We don't know yet exactly how much its Attack will be boosted upon Mega Evolving, but it's going to wreck for sure.

Strong Jaw will also boost Ice Fang, so, assuming Sharpedo remains in RU after its Mega Stone is released, it will likely run that over Ice Beam for hitting Virizion on the switch-in. However, Mega Sharpedo may end up not running Ice coverage at all on some sets in favor of Zen Headbutt, which hits Virizion as well as Poliwrath, a Pokemon that would otherwise wall Mega Sharpedo entirely. I'm not sure if Destiny Bond would be ideal for Sharpedo after getting a Mega Evolution; it's kind of shitty to use your one Mega as a sacrifice (I know that's what Mega Banette does, but it doesn't have a whole lot of options lol). Hydro Pump might see use for hitting physically bulky Pokemon harder, but the Attack boost might be enough to 2HKO some of the important ones with Waterfall after hazard damage. We'll have to see, I guess.

A set I had in mind is as follows:

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Naughty Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall / Hydro Pump
- Ice Fang / Zen Headbutt

The main thing I hated about Mega Camerupt at first was that I knew Sheer Force meant it would never be able to burn anything with Fire-type attacks, particularly Lava Plume. With that said, I do feel that Fire/Ground is a severely underrated typing, both offensively and defensively, and Mega Camerupt may have promise with its higher stats and boost to all its moves that have (had lol) secondary effects. Additionally, the fact that its Speed will be lowered means that it will have added points to go into other more important base stats, like Mega Ampharos has, which is pretty cool for it. Pssssh, let's be real, though. There are way too many common Pokemon in RU this generation that easily destroy it without even having to change their movesets or even consider it in the teambuilding process. These include but are not limited to Rhyperior, Clawitzer, Sharpedo, and Omastar. Assault Vest Slowking, without altering anything on its standard set, can easily switch into Mega Camerupt with no fear and either defeat it or force it out next turn.

Mega Camerupt does make a good check to Registeel, Doublade, Delphox, Virizion, Cobalion, Abomasnow, Whimsicott, and Drapion, but so do a lot of other more viable things, and Mega Camerupt's abysmal Speed (even lower than its original form) and lack of recovery will cause it to be worn down fairly easily. Being a Fire-type that isn't weak to Stealth Rock is a plus, but it isn't enough to compensate. Its movepool is extremely shallow, which makes it very predictable and very limited in what it can do, and with that said, Mega Camerupt is likely going to be a waste of a Mega on any team in RU. It might be an okay Fire Blast nuke if used on bulky teams with dedicated Wish support, but it's still going to be Assault Vest Slowking's bitch no matter what.

Just warning you now I'm running toxic on my camerupt to annoy cress / slowking
It's not uncommon for teams that include these Pokemon to also carry a cleric. That said, Toxic is about all Camerupt can use outside of Stealth Rock / Fire Blast / Earth Power / Rock Slide, so I don't really fault you for suggesting it, though Will-O-Wisp might be more ideal simply because everything has access to Toxic.

Mega Camerupt is going to be pretty horrible, but here's a set I had in mind for it:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Will-O-Wisp

Go onto Pokemon Showdown and scroll through Camerupt's available moves. You will shake your head. :(

Mega Camerupt is a Mega I cannot see going lower than BL2 Honestly, It is probably going to get around 140-160 sp atk Along with about 100 in each defense along with a slight attack boost. A Flash Cannon will 2HKO on the standard Bold Florges set.
A neutral Fire Blast backed by STAB does more damage than a super effective non-STAB Flash Cannon, which makes that coverage kind of redundant, just saying. ♥

If Mega Altaria will have anything, it's options. It will have Dragon Dance and nearly unresisted Fairy/Ground coverage in Pixilate Return and Earthquake, which could be cool with Roost or maybe Draco Meteor for hitting less specially defensive things hard. It also gets Hyper Voice to use with Pixilate a la Sylveon, but it doesn't get any specially based boosting moves, so I don't think that will be very good for it competitively despite its access to good special coverage in Ice Beam and Fire Blast. That said, though it will definitely have some cool new offensive sets to play around with, I think it will be much better off as a team supporter with Roost and Heal Bell. Altaria's loss of its weakness to Stealth Rock upon Mega Evolving will be very useful for it as it switches in and out to support its team and sponge hits. It should also make a great Knock Off shield, not only resisting the attack but also preventing it from getting the item boost courtesy of its Mega Stone. However, even with its great bulk, typing, and ability, it will still have a lot of problems with Amoonguss for the same reason Aromatisse does: Nobody likes their status cleric being weak to something that can put it to sleep and prevent it from doing its job. Doublade and Registeel can also give it problems even if it runs Earthquake. Aromatisse sort of outclasses it, to be honest, simply because it can heal its team of status conditions AND pass Wish recovery, whereas Mega Altaria cannot. This is going to be a fun addition, but I don't think it's going to be as good as some people seem to think it will be.

This is the bulky physically offensive set I had in mind; it just really needs to watch out for status, as well as Bronzong and Weezing, and the set can't really touch Moltres either:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Lonely Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake / Fire Blast
- Roost

And here's the cleric set I had in mind:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

I could be wrong, but I think maximizing its Special Defense instead of Defense is the way to go, or at least that's what I'm leaning toward right now.

I love the design of Mega Sceptile and the originality of its traits, but I'm not sure about its competitive potential. The added Dragon typing doesn't really benefit it very much; not only does Sceptile not get Draco Meteor, but the new typing takes away Sceptile's Fire weakness but adds on weaknesses to Dragon and Fairy, while also amplifying its Ice weakness. Lightningrod is a very interesting ability for it, as it's the first Grass-type and the first Dragon-type to be given this trait, but it doesn't help very much because Grass/Dragon typing already 4x resists Electric-type moves in the first place; it might seem dumb for it because no one in their right mind would willingly use an Electric-type attack on Mega Sceptile whether it had Lightningrod or not, but being able to switch into Thunder Wave and Volt Switch for a free Special Attack boost is pretty awesome, and it also deters the opponent from attempting to use one of these moves to grab momentum or attempt to cripple one of Mega Sceptile's teammates, as long as it's on the team.

That sounds really cool, but unfortunately, the only Electric-types in RU that Mega Sceptile can safely switch into are Rotom-C and Helioptile, and maybe Eelektross... and Stunfisk if you want to count that. Mega Sceptile also makes a poor switch-in to Water-types despite its 4x resistance to their STAB, simply because of its simultaneous 4x weakness to Ice Beam, a common coverage move for such Pokemon. Additionally, Mega Sceptile is stopped cold by one of the most common and powerful Pokemon in RU: Doublade. It may not get Draco Meteor, but it may work somewhat well as a hit-and-run truck with Leaf Storm. Something I find hilarious about this thing is that it can't make any good use of either of its original abilities before Mega Evolving, because Overgrow requires low health to activate and Unburden requires item loss, which is impossible with a Mega Stone. Lol there will be no getting an Unburden boost and then going Mega to sweep.

As far as I know, there are no hints as far as what stats Sceptile will have increased when it Mega Evolves, but for now, I'm going to assume its special offense will be superior, so here's something:

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute / Leaf Storm

Awesome thread. I'll probably post my thoughts on the others later. :)

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Goddess Briyella I was sort of getting at how sometimes stuff like Entei would use Toxic to cripple common switch-ins in can't do much about. I understand that they usually have a cleric, but if you can't take it down through attacks, running status might be a good idea.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would honestly be very surprised if Lopunny ends up staying in RU, Scrappy Normal / Fighting Coverage is REALLY good, ie the only thing in all of Pokemon that resists it is Shedinja. It already has 105 Speed and okayish bulk pre-mega meaning gamefreak can really afford to boost its attack stat to the extreme. It could also end up having a ridiculous speed tier post Mega (like 125 or above) making it really hard for both offensive and defensive teams to deal with.

I think Sceptile will have an interesting effect on the RU meta game if it does end up staying RU, ironically it will make Rhyperior a better Pokemon, because Electric-types will be running HP Ice instead of Water or Grass, else they become total Sceptile bait (rip Gligar). I also don't think Sceptile will be overpowered for the RU meta game, it will essentially be a faster version of its special set now (I'm assuming the SpA gains will cancel out with the loss of a LO boost).

Mega Audino is essentially a worse Audino with better typing? Idk I don't really see this being all that great, clearly a pokemon made for doubles.

Mega Gallade looks interesting in the way that it pretty much sucks right now in the RU meta game (its okay but not that good). If this were Fairy Fighting it would easily be OU, but I think this also has a pretty good chance of staying in RU. It really depends on its specific stat gains and how the other ORAS changes affect the tier.

Mega Camerupt looks like it will be very strong, but not really broken, also this just made me notice Fletchinder kinda rekts all of the new megas, lol.

I think Mega Shark will probably end up leaving the tier with Mega Altaria.

If I had to predict right now I'd assume that RU will be losing Sharpedo / Altaria / Lopunny, Stealing Sceptile and Camerupt from NU, and Audino and Gallade will stay in their current tiers, but then again its all guess work B).

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The one I'm most exicted for (and scared of) is Mega Altaria. Now, let's take a look at what is said of it. Mega Altaria is supposed to get an "increase in Attack and Special Attack" as well as a "boost in Defense". Now, considering that most other Megas have only one stat left unboosted, I see the boosts possibly going out like this: +35 / +20 / +35 / +10 / 0, thus giving Mega Altaria a stat spread of 75 / 105 / 110 / 105 / 115 / 80. This would give it an insane amount of flexibility that is comparable to Mega Venasaur in OU. So what about sets? Well, here's some possibilities:

Mega Dragon Dance

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure --> Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naughty / Naive
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Roost

Simply put, you will not need a Dragon STAB. It is conmpletely and utterly useless unless you fear Amoonguss that badly. (Weezing too I guess) Return after Pixilate is kinda ridiculous at +1 and only sturdy resists are handling it well. EQ bones Registeel and can also deal serious damage to Amoonguss (not enough to OHKO tho) Fire Blast roasts Bronzong and gives Altaria a way to damage Weezing. Roost can provide reliable recovery though. Naughty and Naive are preferred since Altaria's resistances to Fighting and Dark are really cool, but Lonely / Hasty can be used if you value the Water, Grass, and Electric resistances more. Obviously, use Adamant or Jolly if you use Roost. A bulkier EV spread can probably be used with Roost to take better advantage of Altaria's resistances.

Mega Special Attacker

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure --> Pixilate
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

A bulky attacking set that takes advantage of Mega Altaria's resistances and special movepool that will be god-like. Pixilate Hyper Voice is extremely powerful, as such titans as Mega Gardevoir and Choice Specs Sylveon have shown us in OU. It will devastate almost anything that doesn't resist it. Fire Blast maims Steel-types hoping to tank Mega Altaria's powerful Hyper Voices. As Fairy + Fire has perfect neutral coverage as is, there's a myriad of options in the last slot. That said, Draco Meteor fills in for a powerful STAB to use on Poison-types, especially Weezing and Drapion. Roost provides reliable recovery and keeps Mega Altaria healthy. EV spread outspeeds Gligar and maximizes Special Attack with the rest thrown in HP for bulk.

Mega Cleric

Altaria @ Altarite
Abiity: Natural Cure --> Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Roar / Haze

Perhaps the set that embodies flexibility. Defensive Mega Altaria is a major defensive threat thanks to its Fairy / Dragon typing. Resistances to Dark, Bug, Water, Grass, Fire, Electric, Fighting, and a Dragon immunity all makes it very, very difficult to break Altaria. Heal Bell cures it, and its team, of status ailments that have been suffered. Roost keeps Mega Altaria healthy and ready for more beatings. Pixilate Hyper Voice off of (possibly) base 105 Special Attack is nothing to laugh at and will serve to keep Altaria from being setup fodder. Sadly, Delphox laughs in the face of Hyper Voice due to its Fire-typing and decent Special Defense. Thankfully, Altaria has access to Roar and Haze to keep Delphox from setting up CMs at will. Roar is generally more useful as it will force out the opponent, but Haze can be useful in last Pokemon situations. The given spread gives Altaria great special bulk since most of its resistances lie on the special side. However, the Dark and Fighting resistances largely fall physically, and thus Mega Altaria can be EVed as a physical wall if the team needs it. Also, Return can be used over Hyper Voice for a bit more power, but keep in mind that Hyper Voice can hit through Substitute users, such as SubCM Meloetta, SubBU Braviary, and SubBU Gallade, thus limiting the use of that extra power in many cases. Still, it's an option if the utility of Hyper Voice isn't needed for your team and just goes to show how versatile this set can be.

I would also like to remind everyone that Altaria gets Agility as well. If the stat boosts I gave earlier are spot on, or close to accurate, Agility can be a damn dangerous set as it can go physical or special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)