Creative Sets in Smogon Doubles (Updated for ORAS @ Post #83)

No, just look at the calculations????

Also, Expert Belt is weaker than Life Orb even for SE hits, so there's no point if MK is what you're aiming to hit. Expert Belt Secret Sword never OHKOs 252/0 Mega Kang, so it is a lot worse than even Life Orb
You misread what I was saying.
LO+Focus Blast should have a higher chance to KO than Wide Lens+Focus Blast. Expert Belt+Focus Blast hits harder than LO Secret Sword plus no recoil.
There's no reason to run Wide Lens over Expert Belt or Life Orb.
Also, of course LO does more than E Belt... But considering Focus Blast killed with Wide Lens, I mentioned E Belt for no recoil, higher chance at KO and more dmg.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ah, ok now I understand. Yes, Expert Belt + Focus Blast would be more powerful, but I guess I'd rather have a higher chance of actually dealing damage than a marginally higher chance of OHKOing Mega Kang (it's x1.1 vs x1.2 vs x1.3 depending on the item, which is really only a +5% and +10% boost anyway) That also means that if Kang has any small amount of chip damage, ie from Sand bufferage or Fake Out, Wide Lens quickly becomes a lot more favorable than the other items.

I also realize that in those situations, it begins to fall into the range of LO+Secret Sword comparisons, but Wide Lens Focus Blast gives the best deal of 1. OHKOing 252/0 Mega Kang and 2. reliable damage. Using any other item would cause you to lose out on one of those two factors.

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Careful / Impish nature
- Belly Drum
- Stockpile
- Rest
- Iron Head

To call this set "metagame-shifting" would be a gross understatement. I was fortunate enough to see it in action against Electrolyte (whose entire team was swept by it), and I'm sure it's steamrolled past countless other players. Sadly, I don't have the replay of the aforementioned match, but I did manage to find this: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-132727673. Simply pair Snorlax with a Heal Pulse user (and optionally a Psych Up user) and proceed to make your opponent cry.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Careful / Impish nature
- Belly Drum
- Stockpile
- Rest
- Iron Head

To call this set "metagame-shifting" would be a gross understatement. I was fortunate enough to see it in action against Electrolyte (whose entire team was swept by it), and I'm sure it's steamrolled past countless other players. Sadly, I don't have the replay of the aforementioned match, but I did manage to find this: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-132727673. Simply pair Snorlax with a Heal Pulse user (and optionally a Psych Up user) and proceed to make your opponent cry.
Why do you do this to me ;_;

But yeah this Snorlax made me change me ways... I now run Clear Smog and a mono Poison team just to counter it... h8ters watch out

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
All right guys, we had our fun. Now let's be serious and post good Pokemon sets here.

nah jk here's a Regigigas set

Regi to lose? (Regigigas) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 240 HP / 108 Def / 56 SDef / 104 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Safeguard / Stone Edge

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 240 HP / 56 SpD Regigigas in Sun: 357-420 (84.7 - 99.7%)
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 240 HP / 108 Def Regigigas: 222-262 (52.7 - 62.2%) - guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry

Regigigas actually has 110/110/110 bulk which is pretty cool, and its Return actually doesn't hit like a pansy when Slow Start is activated (210 still weak though lol). Wide Guard is cool for cockblocking Landorus / Char-Y / Sylveon and lets it partner with your own EQ users. TWave is TWave and the last slot is honestly just filler lol. It's some cool shit honestly

Supportive Cherrim

Cherrim-Sunshine @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flower Gift
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 144 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Heal Pulse
- Helping Hand/Weather Ball
- Protect

HP:344
Attack:140
Defense:201
Sp attack:210
Sp defense:250
Speed:209

This cherrim can assist his allies by using heal pulse to survive battles and using helping hand if they are intimidate or need a little boost to Hit them real hard. Cherrim stops the enemy's fire boost in sun and it is really bulky if other special atk moves hits cherrim. This cherrim will survive heat waves from heatran and charizard-y and only does 68&-78% to Cherrim. But it won't survive a fire blast. Choice scarf Landorus-T and cherrim is a good team that landorus-T can survive ice beam(not greninja but hko it with the help of cherrim's ability). 252+ SpA Expert Belt Cresselia Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T through Light Screen: 285-336 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO. I added little speed to cherrim outspeed rotom-w and etc and Cherrim can use safegaurd if that rotom wants to use will-o-wisp. You can replace helping hand for weather ball to attack pokemons like amonguss and aegislash. 0 SpA Cherrim Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Amoonguss in Sun: 214-252 (49.5 - 58.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO. This is a ok set to run on cherrim

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok lemme reverse the trend of lousy here with an actual set i actually used and won with before (that's not hax based)

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Protect

Since Shaymin-S is super scary to a ton of stuff, it's not hard to have plenty of opportunities to scare something out. Substitute takes advantage of this by shielding Skymin from Thunder Wave + priority + faster mons. Also, with a Sub up you can take advantage of Air Slash & Seed Flare even more since you've got an extra turn to fish for drops + flinch things. So yeah it's a cool set

pwne edit:
>not hax based
>skymin

Arcticblast edit: liking this post just for Pwnemon's comment
Level edit: ^

audio edit: when there's a 60-80% chance for it to happen you've left the realm of hax lol

Last edited by a moderator:
ok lemme reverse the trend of lousy here with an actual set i actually used and won with before (that's not hax based)

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Protect

Since Shaymin-S is super scary to a ton of stuff, it's not hard to have plenty of opportunities to scare something out. Substitute takes advantage of this by shielding Skymin from Thunder Wave + priority + faster mons. Also, with a Sub up you can take advantage of Air Slash & Seed Flare even more since you've got an extra turn to fish for drops + flinch things. So yeah it's a cool set

pwne edit:
>not hax based
>skymin

audio edit: when there's a 60-80% chance for it to happen you've left the realm of hax lol

This nig exists yo

One of the reasons why I like Skymin is the ability to deal with Heatran (Earth Power), sometimes - because of Skymin frailty - you won't be able to setup a sub, is it really worth it forgoing Earth Power?

Last edited:

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Protect

pwne edit:
>not hax based
>skymin

I have been using this for like 4 months and I never even considered Lefties, why Lefties over Life Orb? I personally find it better to get KOs on Pokemon like Lando-T and maintain the sub than lose it and take a little less damage. Plus Skymin doesn't survive long anyways
Roxer: Tran survives with Shuca and kills. I think Sub is better personally because lots of free setup chances and most steels are bulky enough to take hits from Earth Power.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

This nig exists yo

One of the reasons why I like Skymin is the ability to deal with Heatran (Earth Power), sometimes - because of Skymin frailty - you won't be able to setup a sub, is it really worth it forgoing Earth Power?
Partners exist dude. Also, you're not setting up on things through bulk so your point is irrelevant. You're setting up by manipulating the offensive pressure skymin puts on opposing teams. While you won't be able to set up against everything, I'd set up subs more times than I've missed having earh power. As for life orb, I like the ability to continue setting up substitutes as needed, while with life orb you can really only set up once or twice before the health loss kills you. Repeated subs can even serve as pseudo protects since skymin is so fast, so you can block an attack without relying on double protects and stuff. Also, with a sub I've been able to keep shaymin alive throughout matches, especially since the threat of it attacking can create a ton of free turns, so I think you're underestimating the utility of lefties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Partners exist dude. Also, you're not setting up on things through bulk so your point is irrelevant. You're setting up by manipulating the offensive pressure skymin puts on opposing teams. While you won't be able to set up against everything, I'd set up shbs more times than I've missed having earh power. As for life orb, I like the ability to continue setting up substitutes as needed, while with life orb you can really only set up once or twice before the health loss kills you. Repeated subs can even serve as pseudo protects since skymin is so fast, so you can block an attack without relying on double protects and stuff. Also, with a sub I've been able to keep shaymin alive throughout matches, especially since the threat of it attacking can create a ton of free turns, so I think you're underestimating the utility of lefties.
So my shitty internet didn't post my thoughts on Lefties lol (I'm pro lefties)

And I see your point man :]

EDIT: Kids remember; Don't ever speedread at night when ur tired, learned from experience :]]]

Last edited:
Yeah I've probably let this thread rot, so I guess its time to organize this a bit better.

Anyway, I've added several sets to the "Creative Sets Hall of Fame". I will make some comments on each. If anyone does not agree with any of these given sets in the hall of fame or thinks other presented sets should be there, speak now.

Kyle's Skill Swap Cresselia

Generally this is because the set had a lot of support, though it shows a less common move put to good use in Skill Swap, which can work well when played right in a metagame full of powerful abilities (Lando Intimidate, Kanga Parental Bond, etc). I will note ChestoRest over Moonlight is a solid option here, getting the jump on rising threats that make use of sleep inducing moves, like Breloom and Amoonguss. Ice Beam over Psyshock or Moonlight is always an option as well, hitting Lando-T (among others) for a ton of damage.

TOTEM's Support Politoed

Again support was big here (as always), and it highlights a faster Politoed utilizing Encore, which is rather unusual (and ofc effective) as most people tend to simply run (and expect) max HP. Also makes use of a move that hasn't had as much use this generation in Icy Wind, which provides often crucial speed control for teammates.
Audiosmurfer's Substitute Skymin

Support is once again a big thing here (catching on to the pattern, anyone?), and it really highlight how threats that can force a lot of switches (like Skymin) can use that to their advantage by capitalizing on those free turns with Substitute. I will mention using Life Orb (or even Expert Belt) over Lefties isn't a bad idea here, since Skymin isn't like Heatran in that it will be trying to stall under a Sub. The power boost from my experience with a Sub Skymin set is usually more important. As a final note Tailwind can work similarly to Sub in slot 3, capitalizing on those free turns Skymin can get through its raw offensive presence.

Now that we have that over with, I'm going to discuss some things I really don't think people seem to be getting.

First off, please do not "like" set posts unless you believe they are legitimate and effective sets. I often use likes to determine how good a set is, and I sincerely hope when someone posts AV Stunfisk and it gets 15 likes, those 15 people don't think the set is actually legitimate (not to hate on Stunfisk but this is SmogDubs not SmogDubs NU). In general, I'm asking everyone to take this thread a bit more seriously. If you want comedy, go read Pwnemon's posts, don't waste it on this thread. The point of this thread is to present consistently effective 'unusual' sets for people to try out and experiment with, and to help encourage competitive creativity in the metagame. Now I'm not saying joking around is forbidden, but take the sets that are posted here seriously.

Also, please do not post sets here unless you have tested them thoroughly and know they are consistent and effective. Just because you beat Electrolyte or Audiosurfer or whoever with it once does not mean its a good set. Good sets put in work in several matches and don't wind up being dead weight half the time. Basically I'm saying "one win against a good player =/= good set". If you think a set has potential and could be effective with proper support this isn't the place to be posting it. You should probably be posting those sorts of things in the general discussion thread.

Finally, if you are going to post replays to support your set and things down that line, please make sure they actually highlight the set at hand. A good number of replays I've seen are typically teammates doing the work to get the win with the set doing hardly anything at all. Unless your set is actually doing work in the replayed match, do not bother posting it.

Screw it I give up

Last edited:
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil/Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Rototiller
- Protect

So, Dugtrio sucks. It just does. However, It comes with the neat little bonus of being the least terrible user of Rototiller, a very fun move to use in doubles (You could make an argument for Lopunny, and I guess Excadrill, but Excadrill has better things to do and the loss of speed in Lopunny really hurts it) . Rototiller is basically giving any grass pokemon a free +1 Atk/SAtk boost, to help any of your other sweepers take out your opponents. However, since Grass types are not particularly the most dangerous, with the prevalence of Talonflame and Char-Y, which Dugtrio now gets to eal with thanks to Stone Edge (Which will be more likely to OHKO) or Rock Slide(Better acc. + flinch)

The use of Rototiller now allows regularly dominant forces like Mega Venusaur, Ludicolo, and Skymin, into nigh-unstoppable powerhouses, able to deal even more damage than previously able to think (For example, +1 M-Venusaur Giga Drain 100% OHKOs Rotom-W IIRC, while its a definite 2HKO at +0), and Focus Sash can mean at least 1 Rototiller can almost always get off. In addition, In my experience, people seem to think that Dugtrio will always attempt to be a physical sweeper, what with that fearsome base 90 attack. Therefore, it gets to take Will-O-Wisps and undeserved focus from other pokemon to get the deserved boosts in while it takes its damage.

Okay, its kind of a gimmick...

Why not run Earthquake on Dugtrio over Rototiller (or Rock Slide)? With all the Heatrans flying around, being able to trap and KO them would be pretty useful imo.

On a less serious note, while you're at it you might as well throw in Reversal (kill the Kanga before it kills you... oh right Sucker Punch. Well you get credit for trying ;-;) and Beat Up (no one will see it coming, right?). Also Diggersby and Rhyperior are offended they weren't given a mention (they would truly wreck with Rototiller under Trick Room conditions, correct?) :(

Alright so here are 3 creative sets I've been trying and enjoying for Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, and Mega Venusaur. I hope you guys enjoy and pick out your favourites. The Landorus and Venusaur sets have video explanations on my youtube channel (link in my signature) with the Scizor video being published tomorrow (July 28th).

Edit: This post is going to be a dump for all of my creative sets, and a video explanation for every set posted will be available on my channel

Bulky SD (Rain) Scizor! I know that everyone runs Bug Bite with this guy when they wanna get their SD on, but simply put, I ain't about that life. I decided to use a lot more bulk than most mega scizors because I find that when I use Mega Scizor on rain teams, there is a lot of defensive pressure put on this guy (especially because he only has one weakness). Knock Off > Bug Bite for this set because it lets Scizor deal huge damage to any Pokemon that want to switch into it that resist both of its STAB attacks (Aegislash and Heatran come to mind).
The Special Defense and HP EVs let you set up on Aegislash and 72+ Atk is just enough OHKO it with +2 Knock Off. The Defensive investment is mostly in place just to round off your bulk, but you just happen to survive an LO Flare Blitz from Talonflame in the rain so if you can get an SD up before it comes in you can beat it 1v1. goddam scizor. You can set up on Earthquake users like Landorus T and Garchomp, both of which fail to 2HKO you.
Make sure the rain is up, and you can survive heat waves from modest Heatran and even Charizard Y (if that ever happens but I doubt it, it's just kinda cool). You can knock off Heatrans Item, and do some heavy damage if you're lucky enough to have an SD

Click Me (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 84 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Protect / Roost

Vs Aegisslash
+2 76+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 324-382 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Vs Talonflame (rain)
+2 72+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 304-358 (102 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Mega Scizor in Rain: 281-333 (81.9 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs (Charizard Y) rain
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor in Rain: 268-316 (78.1 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs (Heatran) rain
252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor in Rain: 228-268 (66.4 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Scarf4sure (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Imprison
- Protect

Imprison Landorus T makes an excellent partner for Charizard Mega X or Y, being able to block Earthquake and Rockslide just by being on the field. It also stops the opponent from using protect, which is massively inconvenient for the opposing team, especially if Charizard X has a Dragon Dance up.
The EV spread is pretty simple, enough speed to out speed adamant sharp and loom, with lum berry because I find that Landorus is pretty commonly targeted for burns, but if you want to use Focus Sash that's a solid option as well. The remaing EVs are put into HP after making sure I had as much attack as possible.

BigBeluga (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 200 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

I like offensive Mega Venusaur because every one is running a defensive set, and while the defensive variants are certainly strong, the bulky Offense has a surprise factor that shouldn't be underestimate.
56 Speed Ev's outspeeds 4 speed Rotom-Wash (with 30 IVs in Megasaur's Speed), and 236+ Special Attack (with 30 SAtk IVs) will always OHKO Rotom-Wash with Leaf storm. The 200 HP and 16 Def will make a 252+ Atk Mega Scizor's Bug Bite a 3HKO, so that even if it SD's or is running a faster set, you can still beat it 1v1 with HP Fire. If you want to catch your opponent off guard, this is the set to do it with. All calcs are made with 30 IVs in special attack to account for HP fire.
This set makes an excellent addition to rain teams, being able to take out opposing water types, grass types, and provides valuable defensive support to the team (Mvenu is only weak to Psychic and Flying thanks to Thick Fat).

Vs. Rotom-Wash
236+ SpA Mega Venusaur Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 306-360 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vs. Mega Scizor
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 200 HP / 16 Def Mega Venusaur: 148-175 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 272-324 (79 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

edit: also here's a support/offensive Klefki, I might just use this post as a dump for all of my creative sets if thats ok Nollan
This is my take on a Utility/Offensive Klefki set, inspired in part by Lee Watson's VGC UK Nationals Top 16 Klefki, with some changes to better suit Doubles.

Jinglejangle (Klefki) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 232 HP / 44 Atk / 76 Def / 148 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Safeguard
- Light Screen

The Defensive investment survives an adamant Landorus-T Earthquake (and by extension Garchomps). I changed Foul Play from the original set to Play Rough with enough physical attack investment to 2HKO Garchomp (so predict the switching!). You also happen to always break 252 HP Kyurem B subs from -1 Atk which is nifty. I put 8 speed to creep other Klefkis and get a Thunder Wave off first, with the remaining 148 in special defence. Lee's set had a Rocky Helmet Klefki but there is no way in hell I'm putting that, so I gave Klefki an occa berry to survive a Banded Flare Blitz from Talonflame and a Heat Wave from Charizard Y.
Basically there is no way you're OHKOing this Klefki so if you need Safeguard, Light Screen, or Paralysis you are going to get it.

Offensive Calcs
44 Atk Klefki Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 180-212 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 44 Atk Klefki Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 116-138 (25.5 - 30.3%) -- 0.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Defensive Calcs
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 76+ Def Klefki: 264-312 (84.3 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 232 HP / 76+ Def Occa Berry Klefki: 213-252 (68 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 232 HP / 148 SpD Occa Berry Klefki in Sun: 213-252 (68 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 232 HP / 148 SpD Occa Berry Klefki in Sun through Light Screen: 257-303 (82.1 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bubblegum (Sylveon) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 180 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast / Psyshock / Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Sylveon is one of the few Pokemon in Doubles whos most common set doesn't carry Protect. While the Choice Specs set is very powerful, a Pixie Plate boost is still substantial, and will fool the occasional player into believing that you are locked into Hyper Voice like most Sylveon.
Pixie Plate allows you to capitalize on this assumption and if played correctly will result in the surprise KO of a Wide Guarding Hitmontop, or a weakened Heatran that wants to set up a Substitute. Protect can fulfill a similar role obviously, the key to using this set however is not to play Sylveon like any other Pokemon, but to bluff Choice Specs as best you can.
The slight speed investment will allow you to outspeed 4 speed Tyranitar, with a defensive investment to survive Jolly Kangaskhan's Return, with maximum special attack of course. The choice between moonblast and psyshock comes down to teambuild and a bit of preference. Moonblast is mainly for Wide Guard carrying fighting types, while Psyshock or Shadow Ball will expand Sylveons coverage. I personally prefer Psyshock to hit Amoonguss that think they can come in while you are locked into Hypervoice (although it is a clean 3HKO through Sitrus).

I want to stress again that this set will still be spamming Hyper Voice 99% of the time like the Specs set even though it has the freedom to change moves. You should only switch up moves when you are certain to get a KO or a serious momentum advantage from the play.

This EV spread is also probably the best EV spread for Choice Specs Sylveon as well, but I wanted to showcase something completely new, not just a new spread.

Offensive Calcs
252+ SpA Sylveon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Amoonguss: 206-244 (47.6 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Sylveon Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 244-288 (63.2 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Sylveon Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hitmontop: 278-330 (91.4 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Sylveon Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 178-210 (67.9 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive Calcs
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 180 HP / 60 Def Sylveon: 316-375 (84 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is Bulky DD Mega Tyranitar. Inspired by Wolfe Glick's Mega TTar from Eggy Emporium, this tyranitar is in it for the long haul. Most Tyranitar sets have to choose between fighting a weather war using a lot of bulk (to enable switching in frequently) or an pure offensive set that doesn't like to switch in, but can do heavy damage when it's checks are elminated. This set does both.
Anarchy (Tyranitar) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 36 Atk / 128 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

The set is a standard one, providing Tyranitar with a spread move, dual STAB, and Dragon Dance to set up a late game sweep. Pairing this set with Amoonguss (as EE recommends) essentially elimates Tyranitar's fighting weakness, and it's water weakness from every water type barring Muddy Water users. The aim of this set is to be able to play early and mid game as necessary, but it can still reserve some HP to set up a DD sweep late game.
The massive bulk investment might worry some people, but remember that megatar has a massive 164 base attack stat, and after 1 or 2 Dragon Dances it really won't matter if you invest 252+ Attack or absolutely none.
The physical defence investment makes 252+ Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch a 3HKO and 252+ Landorus-T Earthquake a 3HKO. The special defence investment makes 252+ Heatran's Earth Power a 4HKO (in the sand) so you have ample set up opportunities and you really won't have to switch out too often. The 36 Atk investment is what remained.

Calcs
Vs Mega Scizor
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 240 HP / 128+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 140-168 (34.9 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Vs Heatran
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 240 HP / 104 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 112-134 (27.9 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

Vs Landorus-T
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 128+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 168-200 (41.8 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Vs Garchomp
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 128+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 144-170 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Vs Kingdra (rain)
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Muddy Water vs. 240 HP / 104 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Rain: 299-354 (74.5 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Landorus (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Landorus-i is extremely underrated, and this spread turns him into a huge threat that checks a large amount of the meta. Special attacking Landorus with HP Ice is nothing new, but I'm sure that very few people know that 4 atk Sheer Force + LO Rock Slide does more damage than a Rock Slide from Adamant Landorus-t!!! Also, thanks to it's amazing 101 base speed (credits to Makolicious for giving me the best nature to use with this set; I was previously using a nature that made the set almost useless ;(), it ruins stuff like Mega Char Y, and other base 100s. This mixed Landorus is extremely versatile, and when paired with a good partner, will make many teams cower!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rock Slide and HP Ice are great for targeting certain pertinent threats, but otherwise Earth Power - Psychic - Sludge Bomb make the most out of Sheer Force imo. Those three moves destroy the top 3 Follow Me / Rage Powder users (Jirachi, Amoonguss, and Togekiss, respectively). It can also inflict a solid 40% to Rotom-W with Psychic / Sludge Bomb.

Rock Slide and HP Ice are great for targeting certain pertinent threats, but otherwise Earth Power - Psychic - Sludge Bomb make the most out of Sheer Force imo. Those three moves destroy the top 3 Follow Me / Rage Powder users (Jirachi, Amoonguss, and Togekiss, respectively). It can also inflict a solid 40% to Rotom-W with Psychic / Sludge Bomb.
Yeah, it is a situational spread. HP Ice is interchangeable with Sludge Bomb/Psychic/Focus Miss; I chose HP Ice because I needed it for my team, and it is very solid on lando.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My favourite poke to use in rain:

Dragonite @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpA / 92 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed

This set serves as a few things, firstly, an offensive power house, secondly, a much needed check to certain pokes: amoongus, keldeo, scrafty and especcially mega venusaur. The spatck ev's are two always 2hko 252/72+ amoonguss (with sitrus). It is also a nice switch in to have vs mega charizard-y, as it resists all its coverage and immune to a possible sleep from its possible partner, venusaur. Safety goggles are to block spore/sleep powder obviously. The other moves are to your choice, i didnt really feel the need to have thunder as i already had a mega manetric so i went with aqua tail (which will always 2hko landoge and bisharp in the rain whilst ohko'ing terrak), dragon claw as a stronger STAB (i didnt want draco's power drop) and lastly espeed for nice priority allowing it to finish off sash skymin or terrak. The speed ev's are too outspeed base 100's at -1 (i have icy wind support, also outspeeds creeping rotom) whilst 176 speed could be used for adamant bisharp and breloom. I gave it max attack to guarantee a 2hko iirc (cant remember what) or just to maximize power >_>. The rest is dumped in hp, as there isnt much i can speed/power creep with (although 132 spatk guarantees an ohko on keldeo). Lum could be used as everything tries to burn it but this way i can switch into sleep and also keep multiscale in sand

This set actually patched some wholes in my rain team as it appreciate the bulk (although torn-t could be cool) and the utility of the moveset. Best of all, it always performs in matches as it never dies in one hit (other than kyub ;_;) and is hard to walls (2hko's most pokes in rain, even mega gard looses to aqua tail + espeed). This isnt a shitty gimmick, and it fits in well in MY team. No h8 pls

Also, when running lando-i (i have a ton of experience with it), i almost feel forced to run psychic, for amoo and fighting types, and focus blast for kanga. Sludge bomb is nice for toge and sylveon though, but i dont see the point of running hp ice - landoge is the only thing it hits and it gets 2hko'd by psychic. E: rock move would be very nice for ohko'ing yzard (cant 2hko with psychic)

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really like this set, but I would invite you try running Rock Tomb > Aqua Tail to discourage / prevent Charizard Y switching in on you and getting rid of rain. Also my guess is that since it's a rain team and all, you have water type offense available already on your team. You won't miss out on much by switching moves, but you'll gain a valuable offensive typing and another way to deal with Charizard.
This also gives you the valuable speed drop your dragonite needs to compete with base 100 speed Pokemon, and would be invaluable when you dont have Icy Wind support available.
Because Dragonite walls Charizard Y better than pretty much everything barring heatran, you don't need to run Rock Slide to ease prediction on which slot Charizard will come in on, since you can safely stay in when it enters the field.

252 Atk Dragonite Rock Tomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 332-392 (111.4 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I dont feel i need a move solely to ohko yzard considering i already 2hko, and the other stuff aqua tail hits are more important imo. I might try superpower as it gives me a way of hitting kanga harder (as well as tran and ferro) but missing out the 2hko on fairies might not be worth it. I do feel aqua tail is sometimes underwhelming without rain.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sub Mega Garchomp isn't really anything new, but considering how little use Mega Garchomp sees I thought I'd post it anyway.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Intimidate and WoW are easily the two most common threats to Garchomp in the current metagame, and this set is able to avoid both of them. It also lets Garchomp do all of the normal things Substitute does to a Pokemon, but on top of that it lets Garchomp easily run Garchompite, granting it a massive power boost and a slight increase in bulk. 200 Speed puts it above neutral base 85s. In Tailwind (which is where I used it, although sans Tailwind it is still threatening) this lets it outrun all common weather sweepers beyond Excadrill, who really doesn't want to see a Mega Garchomp on the other side of the field anyway. 56 HP gives it an odd HP number and lets it Sub four times.

And while I'm here I guess I'll post his partner in destruction:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass / Stone Edge / filler

I wanted a Blaziken that didn't get fucked by Intimidate and this fit the bill. It beats up a bunch of things that should be obvious (Hydreigon / Mega Kang / Mawile, etc.) but it actually helps Garchomp a lot. Works pretty well, as I'm sure champetero knows ;)

arright arright
Victini: the victory pokemon. Somehow, Victini sees little use in doubles, as it has several weaknesses. (i mean gamefreak thinks audino mega is gonna be good in doubles too, but whatever) However, Victini has a really cool ability and it's so damn cute i made a team around it.
while V-Create and bolt strike are strong physical moves, i think its best set lies in support. with its ability to drop 93.5% accurate will-o-wisps and improve teammate accuracy as well i came up with this set.

Victini @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 232 HP / 184 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blue Flare
- Glaciate
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

this set has enough speed for skymin at -1 and enough hp for keldeo's scald, with the rest in SpAtk. I'm currently at number 2 on the ladder with my victini team, so i'm pretty confident it works. :] so use it or something.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Might as well run 120 speed to outrun all +speed 70s/Mega TTar.

Otherwise yeah victini's wisps are neat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)