Masuda Method Without Shiny Charm

Herro there.

Adding a few finds here, hopefully someone else can add them in. I'm not good with spreadsheets.

Fennekin egg-69th was shiny.
Chespin egg-87th was shiny.
Froakie egg-197th was shiny.

Unfortunately, I tend to give up after about 400+ eggs.

Two failed hunts:

Helioptile 426 eggs.
Gabite- 576 eggs.

Total rate:
3/1355=.22%
edit: added total rate.

Updated with all my hatches to date. Had some incredible luck, with my longest hunt being 814 for a shiny Treecko, but that was after I got one missing speed at 96!

Finally the shiny drought is over! Last night I hatched a shiny Polar Pattern Scatterbug after a whopping 1786 eggs since the last one! I have updated the doc with my results.

Running Total:
Archipelago - 87th egg
Monsoon - 1079th egg
Tundra - 2615th egg
Polar - 4401st egg

I might give this a rest for a while as that last hunt kinda killed my enthusiasm. But next on the list is Jungle, so I may be back sooner rather than later!

I will be pledging some eggs in hopes of getting a shiny froakie using a US ditto and a JAP froakie. I do not have the shiny charm!

Current results with froakie and ditto:

1- 0/30 no shiny
2- 0/30 no shiny
3- 0/30 no shiny
4- 0/30 no shiny
5- 0/30 no shiny

Last edited:
I wanted to learn about soft resetting when it comes to egg hatching and shinies. When do you reset game or is it faster to just hatch them continuously?

Update time! After another a month and 1766 eggs, BAM! Shiny Jungle Pattern Scatterbug! So, here are my results so far...

Running Total:
Archipelago - 87th egg
Monsoon - 1079th egg
Tundra - 2615th egg
Polar - 4401st egg
Jungle - 5472nd egg

I have added my results to the doc, my personal odds are around 1:1095 so far.

Meadow is next on the list, but don't think I will be hatching it for a long while, as I will be waiting until the GAME Diancie event is over before I reset the game.

Last edited:
Well it might have been months since my last post but I have updates!

The Meadow pattern was a quick and dirty affair, (once I got around to resetting the game etc.) with the shiny hatching from the 620th egg. I decided that as I had to set my 3DS region to Spain (Cataluña) to get that pattern I might as well select Spanish as the language. So now I have a perfect 5IV SPA male Vivillion from the leftovers to replace the valiant 4IV JPN Vivillion I had been using. The mother was a perfect 5IV ENG Vivillion I bred for the Pokéball (Premier).

It was to my great surprise that after yet another reset (region was Azerbaijan this time, language was French for the lulz) for the High Plains pattern that a shiny hatched out of the 8th egg this afternoon. Its IVs are beautiful: 31/xx/31/31/31/31. Timid, in a luxury ball. Merry Xmas indeed.

Running Total:
Archipelago - 87th egg
Monsoon - 1079th egg
Tundra - 2615th egg
Polar - 4401st egg
Jungle - 5472nd egg
Meadow - 6097th egg
High Plains - 6110th egg

I will update my results on the doc now, my personal odds now stand at 1:873 though I doubt it will stay so for long.

I have already reset for the Continental Pattern (Belgium) and have 2 boxes of unshiny Scatterbugs. Can I get another sub 1000 shiny? Only 2 patterns to go!!!

Sorry for the double post but this will be my last on this thread. I have completed my quest and now have one shiny of each pattern of Vivillion.

The Continental pattern took 1,143 eggs to appear, which was fine by me. It was missing speed but I didn't care as I reset for the last time for the River pattern (Mauritania, cuz why not?).

The River pattern was much more forgiving and hatched shiny after a paltry 58 eggs! It's IVs are 31/xx/0/31/31/31. Well it's not like it was ever going to take physical hits but come on!

Running Total:
Archipelago - 87th egg
Monsoon - 1079th egg
Tundra - 2615th egg
Polar - 4401st egg
Jungle - 5472nd egg
Meadow - 6097th egg
High Plains - 6110th egg
Continental - 7257th egg
River - 7319th egg

This completes my collection as I have the other patterns through trades and the GTS. Now that I have them all I have no further use for non-shiny charm Masuda Method breeding and as such I will not be contributing any more eggs to this thread.

I have already updated the doc with my numbers but here are the totals anyway.

Eggs hatched - 7,323
Shinies hatched - 9
Personal odds - 1:813

Good luck to anyone else still hatching on here and thanks for reading my ramblings!

Know what, I've always had bad luck with finding shinies, so I'll join this to see what my odds are. I'm breeding a Japanese Bagon with an American Ditto. I'll pledge 500 eggs.

Batch #1: 100/100 no shinies
Batch #2: 100/100 no shinies
Batch #3: 100/100 no shinies
Batch #4: 100/100 no shinies
Batch #5: 100/100 no shinies

Okay, I got nothing

Hey, am I late? No? Cool.
I've been breeding a japanese female Bagon and an in-game (also hatched with MM in my game) male Bagon.
I'll update this post from time to time. Can someone update this on the doc? I'm terrible with spreadsheets.

Eggs hatched: 300+

No shinys so far.

Last edited:
Due to preparing for the Johto Classic I have no time this weekend but may have time next week to contribute to this, I absolutely want to. I do believe someone brought up the question of when one SR's after a specific amount of eggs, I too would like to know when or if at all we do SR. Thanks in advance.​

Is this still a thing...? I just got an Italian Fennekin and will be shiny breeding it with my Delphox as soon as it evolves into Delphox. I'd love to contribute. I'll post results here I guess.

I did a bit and I'll do seven batches, i have done nearly 500

Batch 1: 100 eggs: no shiny
Batch 2: 100 eggs: 15th was shiny
Batch 3: 100 eggs: no shiny
Batch 4: 100 eggs: no shiny
Batch 5: 85/100 eggs: no shiny yet
Batch 6:
Batch 7:

At least i got two shinies during the inevitable mass wonder trade after each batch

Masuda method only, no shiny charm
if you are wonder trading and getting a modest ducklett or fennekin that might be me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)