XY OU Reach for the Skies (Mega Manectric Team, Peaked 1610)

Hello everybody! Im The Grim Garchomp and this is my VERY FIRST RMT. Today I will be bringing you a team that shot me up the ranks of the ladder, but somehow backhanded me back down again (still hurts, was so close to top 500 ;-;). Having tried everything to improve my team, I decided to come to you fine gentlemen to help me improve and reform my team. And here it is!

Pidgeon (Talonflame) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

OH Damn, we starting strong on this RMT (i think >_>). Pidgeon here is my physical sweeper (and he's a DARN GOOD one at that!). Gale Wings for that BB priority we all need, Swords Dance to rocket up his attack to sky-high heights (see what i did there with the title :3)and the Sharp Beak for Brave Bird to guarantee OHKOs, with the exception of Heatran, Tyranitar, and any physical wall of a rock type.Flare Blitz is for STAB and coverage against pesky steels like Magnezone, and of course Roost to recover recoil damage. The EVS are for maximum damage and to guarantee the first hit, the remaining HP Evs help me live some weak attacks and Jolly nature allows me to outspeed some scarfed pokemon. Also Jolly nature over adamant nature as I face WAY too many scarfers that was resistant to BB, like Magnezone. And while Heatran and Tyranitar counter Pidgeon like an electric fence, do not worry, cos I got...

Maserati (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying] Hydro Pump Hidden Power [Electric]

This guy! This is the reason why people measure cars in horsepower. Keldeo's base 108 speed boosted by it's Choice Scarf allows Maserati here to zoom past everyone and wreck havoc as my scarfer and revenge killer. I chose Surf over Hydro Pump because I realized Showdown had something against me, and blew my attacks off course, 75% of the time. Icy Wind if for coverage like against Garchomp (sadly) and Secret Swords is for STAB and to deal with the aforementioned Tyranitar and Heatran, if Surf doesnt OHKO them anyway. For the 4th move, I was in a dilemma between HP Flying and HP Ground. I chose HP Flying as I realized in many teams I encountered, Mega Venusaur always stuck it's head in the game. The EVS and nature are to increase it's speed EVEN MORE, and to increase the damage it gives out to brutal heights while giving me a little bulk on the special side. With the scarf and all, I would have done modest nature, but due to the number of scarfed pokemon I have encountered I decided on Timid nature to outspeed such pokes. Replaced HP Flying with Hydro Pump as I saw HP Flying not doing much to Mega Venu and Scald for burn. Replaced Hydro Pump with HP Electric as RestTalk Gyarados are very common and Keldeo is always against bulky waters (tested it and it works :P)

Vampy (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip Stealth Rocks
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

To make a FWG core, I put in Ferrothorn, my physical wall and seeder. EVS and nature for maximum tanking, Lefties over rocky helm for a stronger recovery with seeds, and besides, we all know people send in their Megazard Y to kill this thing, so why rocky helm? Ik outrage and all, but people I've encountered high up on the ladder use Dragon Claw instead. I put Thunder Wave to outspeed my opponents (maybe lol) and seed them after, and Gyro Ball to attack my opponent in case they decide to send taunters my way. It isnt fun ;-; (Added Stealth Rocks to Vampy and took out Power Whip after testing)

EuGene (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled
- Taunt

Grandine (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Healing Wish

Replacing Mew is Grandine the Latias!! Working as a (sort of) Special Wall and Sweeper, this girl really trumps Mew in late-game. IVs are for minimum Foul Play damage from Mandibuzz, EVs for some bulk, power, and maximum speed for a fast Healing Wish to heal sweepers late-game, like our star Blackout. Timid also boosts Grandine's speed even HIGHER to guarantee Healing Wish (assuming that I am not up against any scarfed pokemon). Life Orb is to boost the STAB moves, Psyshock and Draco Meteor (deals with Mega Venu ENTIRELY) and Roost for longevity and bulk.

Dumbo (Donphan) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Pingo (Excadrill) @ Air Balloon Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk /4 SpD
Adamant Nature
Iron Head
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Rapid Spin

Replacing Dumbo entirely is Pingo the Spin Doc and physical sweeper! Suggested by Axily(giving the gentleman a shout-out), Pingo has been working out TREMENDOUSLY and spinning better than Dumbo ever could. The EVs and nature allow it to do maximum damage and tank some attacks to keep the Spin Doc alive. Swords Dance to do even MORE damage, Earthquake for STAB and Rock Slide if for coverage against pesky flying pokemon. Rapid Spin is self-explanatory (so much ROCKS). Replaced Air Balloon with Choice Scarf for fast spin and to outspeed fast fairies like Mega Gardevoir (at least faster than excadrill) and beat the crap out of them with Iron Head. Also for STAB.

Blackout (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

And here we are at the last pokemon, the star of the show, the one and only, Blackout! To deal with keldeos, magnezones, scizors, and the like, Mega Manetric is the sweeper next to Talonflame, cleaning out the enemy when it gets the chance. Lightningrod in case any opposing Megatrics decide to show up, EVS and nature are for outspeeding the opponent and dealing as much damage as possible without the modest nature, and the moveset is self-explanatory. Thunderbolt and Volt Switch for STAB and a bit of momentum, Flamethrower over Overheat so I will not have a SpAtk drop and allows me to continue sweeping, and HP Ice for Gliscor and Lando-T. If there is a pokemon I do not want to change, it would have to be this guy right here.

Now with the team done, I will have to cover the weaknesses I faced.
  1. Sashloom with Spore (Too many times it Spores one of my pokes and SDs and sweeps hard, and it can KO my Ferrothorn quickly, due to Technician Mach Punch. I have to make some good plays to take away this threat, and usually it takes one of my pokemon down with it before it dies.)
  2. Taunting Sableye (Without a fairy-type in my team, this monster taunts my walls, burns my sweepers, and rids them of their items. Without Talonflame absorbing the Will-o-Wisps, my team does not take Sableye's status moves too well)
  3. Azumarill (With the Water-Fairy typing, only ferrothorn walls it, and it can take a Tbolt from Blackout if it is using its AV set. Without Blackout and Vampy (and they die a lot imo) that thing cruises through my team.
  4. Banded Dragonite (OML, this thing hits hard. Beats the crap out of Ferrothorn with Fire Punch, fakes as a Dancer to trick me into switching into Ferrothorn, Extremespeeds my Talonflame (INSTANT OHKO), EQs my Megatric and Excadrill while tanking an HP Ice with Multiscale, Kills Keldeo with Outrage, and since Ferrothorn is dead from Fire Punch I cannot tank this Outraging beast. I have to play around it to kill it, while sacrificing at least 1 pokemon ;-;)

Here's the importable for any lazy-asses who want my team for their own:

Pidgeon (Talonflame) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

Maserati (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Vampy (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rocks
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Blackout (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Grandine (Latias) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Healing Wish

Pingo (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

PLEASE leave a comment below to rate and improve my team <3
-The Grim Garchomp-

Attachments

Last edited:
Donphan is a bit strange in this meta.
I suggest to replace Donphan with excadrill as spinner and to give rocks to ferrothorn.
Scarf keldeo wirthout hydro pump can't do a lot. So use Hydro pump>hp fly (without specs it isn't powerful) and scald > surf to have a chance of burn.

And wow set on mew is the best.

Now i'm on the phone... when i will be on pc i will rate better. C ya!

HEY i think i played you today, pretty cool team, i really dislike the transform on mew as i feel its inefficient for what youre trying to do, id suggest taunt because i feel alot of the pokemon that would switch into mew would really not like being taunted and forced to attack

cool stuff and rock on

Other suggestions for evs:

Talonflame:

EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe or 88 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature

Ferrothorn:
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature

and try protect>thunder wawe

Mew:
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature

If you want you can try to use mixed tios> excadrill as defogger.
Here the set

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ivs: 30 HP
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Have fun with your team :)

Thank you Axily, but ill be keeping Pingo as he has been doing remarkable work, and mixed tios never really did much to anything and twave on ferrothorn is very useful against set-up-sweepers like cloyster and breloom. However, I will take the tflame evs into consideration (not sure why i need hp evs, tflame is like paper, so frail ;-;) and try it out.

Other suggestions for evs:

Talonflame:

EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe or 88 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature

Ferrothorn:
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature

and try protect>thunder wawe

Mew:
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature

If you want you can try to use mixed tios> excadrill as defogger.
Here the set

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ivs: 30 HP
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Have fun with your team :)
If Excadrill is doing well, by all means keep it. However, I agree with changing the EV spreads to the ones suggested with one exception. On Mew, use 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe Impish. 152 Spe outspeeds Mega Heracross but Adamant Excadrill is only 8 EVs more and it hates Will-o-Wisp with a passion so why not?

Quite a fun team to use; I love how exca looks like a scarfer while keldeo looks like a specs/CM set, which is is definitely deceptive for your opponent.

I feel like ferro could be replaced by lead terrak/chomp since ferro is so passive. Lead terrak @ CC/SE/taunt/SR or standard lead chomp. Trying LO 252 SpA/252 speed chomp @ fire blast/draco meteor/earthquake/stealth rocks which has been working pretty well so far. I know you have many ways to get rid of ferro/scizor/special walls but chomp is a pretty good lure, albeit at the expense of focus sash.

Excadrill should really be jolly max speed to ensure it gets off a spin more easily; max hp exca is really quite slow and not that bulky IMO. Exca also prefers iron head over swords dance since only sand rush exca sweeps well. Also isn't the standard stall-breaker mew have the 100 remaining EVs in SpD (and boosting nature)? I don't really use mew but SpD makes more sense to me since you burn things with WoW anyways.

Also I feel like overheat kills scizor/ferro more easily with manectric. And Talon can also run enough speed (361 total to outspeed magnezone) and put the rest into hp.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-167432418 (Replay with team changes)

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback fimbu :3. It is true, ferrothorn is quite passive, but it pairs with Keldeo and Talonflame for an FWG core (heck it's been working well) but I will try the leadchomp. I will put the speed on excadrill for ez spinning, but overheat, however, does not work well in my team. Flamethrower works better, and since megatric is all special (not some nobby mixed set EW) it will not benefit manectric. There are many teams weak to mega manetric and to exploit those weaknesses i need to stay in the battle with full-power attacks. Also, I'm not sure how excadrill would look like a scarfer when it has an air balloon.. >_>

Hey garchomp, gonna say again I really do love using your team =). For SR, I prefer an offensive SR user just because I'm such an offensive player by nature Lols; I will try to use ur ferro better in the future tho.

The benefit of overheat is that it guarantees OHKOS on excadrill and such; but flamethrower is easier to use and obviously better if you get a lightningrod boost.

Excadrill may look like a scarfer in team preview since your team doesn't seem like it has any other consistent option to stop setup sweepers such as Zard or mega ttar for example. In team preview, it looks like you have a specs Keldeo and likely scarf exca. Also talon being able to fake band with sharp beak is always a big plus.

I also love how due to your team composition, Keldeo can actually lead and take out (assumed) scarf lando quite often, which feels amazing haha.

Thanks fimbu, and the offensive SR user didnt really cut it, as it gave me a HUUUUGE scarf keldeo weakness (taken down my so many Maseratis its insane ;-;) and since there are many t-waving thundys running around I get a lightningrod boost 60% of the time. Also, excadrill isnt exactly good or fast enough to stay above 88% HP, as Megatric's flamethrowers does 88% damage most of the time.. But thanks for the team love, I appreciate it (after like 5 months of teambuilding I finally did something good!!).

A really minor nitpick, but why are you using 30 HP IVs on Talonflame and invest 4 EVs there? Just giving it 31 IV for HP will do the same thing. And you can put the leftover 4 EVs somewhere else like Def.
Use 0 IVs for every single mon that does not use physical moves. You will take less damage from confusions and Foul Play this way.
I don't think you will be able to stay long enough for your Talonflame to set up a Swords Dance. I recommend using U-Turn instead of Swords Dance for your Talonflame. Besides, you already have a SD mon on your team.

Dokkerich, Gyro Ball is for those sylveons that like hanging around with ferro here (cos i dont exactly have a supereffective move against those fairy monsters ;-;) and I was thinking to put iron head on Pingo, but I never really used it as the only fairies I saw were Azumarill and Mega Gardevoir, which are taken down by Mega Manectric and Talonflame (apparently sharp beak BB can KO a gardevoir after stealth rocks). And Power Whip never really did much, except maybe kill a quagsire thats 100% guaranteed to switch out :P. Also Merkur, I actually DO stay on long enough to use Swords Dance, and it allows me to KO about 3 pokemon before I die from recoil (if they dont have Talonflame walls) and Roost also allows me to keep alive and KO MORE pokemon, assuming I make the right prediction (which happens half of the time, and I'm willing to bet on those odds as PS is being kind to me of late <3). I was thinking making Excadrill my scarfed pokemon and giving Keldeo choice specs. Plz give feedback :3

Specs Keldeo and scarf exca is probs good; definitely give it a shot. Tho scarf Keldeo does have the big surprise factor. Iron head on exca helps against things like fable (if u lost mew) and modest garde (if talon went down). Also non sand rush exca doesn't need swords dance.

k, Ill try doing the specs keldeo and scarf excadrill. Surprise factor's are nothing, rly, as usually keldeo is up against other scarfers that keldeo cant hit hard, like scarfchomp (it survives an icy wind O_o hail garchomp), and scarf excadrill will help me wreck fairies and give me a quick spin. Thx fimbu once again, good to know some people like my team :D

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
there's absolutely no reason to have twave and gyro ball on the same set as paralyzed mons are going to be taking a considerably less amount of damage from gyro ball. so imo change twave for protect/knock off

Ferrothorn learns Knock Off? DAAAAAMN ima do that. and probably protect for a plan B. I am doing scarf excadrill and specs keldeo, so it might work :P

Okay so looking at the new sets; keldeo still really needs hydro pump for power (pick between HP electric and icy wind as a coverage move) and excadrill really wants to be max speed jolly (right now even things like Mega pinsir are outrunning you) to outrun +1 zardX and other setup sweepers.

The Grim Garchomp One suggestion.

Replace Mew with Latias.

Suggested Set:
Latias
@ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe. | Or | 88 Sp.Atk / 128 Sp.Def / 252 Spe.
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Defog / Thunderbolt / Healing Wish / Toxic

I'll go through this set in detail:
Life Orb - Packs an extra punch for Latias. Helps secure some KO's and gives it a little 'umpf'.
EVs - (72 HP / 184 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe) This set is more offensive than defensive. It always gets the 2HKO with Psyshock on Mega Venusaur (184 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 232 HP / 252 Def Mega Venusaur: 198-234 (55.1 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and just gives latias an extra bit of gun poer
- (88 Sp.Atk / 128 Sp.Def / 252 Spe.) The Sp.Def orientated Latias that can replace your Mew. It just gets a guaranteed 2HKO (Without like a 0.03% chance to not "HKO) on Mega Venusaur ( 88 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 232 HP / 252 Def Mega Venusaur: 182-218 (50.6 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ).
88 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 232 HP / 252 Def Mega Venusaur: 182-218 (50.6 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
IVs - 0 Atk so Foul Play is as weak as possible.
Psyshock - Deals with Mega Venusaur and any Sp. Def walls
Draco Meteor - Strong STAB move for good damage on neutral threats.
Roost - So she can stay alive longer
Defog / TBolt / HW / Toxic - Defog helps if Excadrill dies early. TBolt basically just gives coverage. HW is that with 115 base speed, switching in Latias at low healthh means you can sacrifice it quickly for a Sweeper such as Mega Manectric. Toxic is to wear down walls like Slowbro and Sylveon.

Thanks Voteli, thats not a bad idea! Ill do Healing Wish, as Stealth Rock damage gets pretty annoying on Blackout late-game. I did put Mew to be a wall along with Ferrothorn (somehow it tanks Draco Meteor and still live with like 45% jeez o_o) but late-game, when ferro and mew are left, its pretty much gameover. Ill try it out <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)