Multi Gen Ubers Video Thread (V2) [Updated 20th November]

After OU, which tier do you think gets the most exposure on YouTube?

• Total voters

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
takeover approved by Melee Mewtwo

Ubers Video Thread (V2)

(sorry for tagging everyone again)

This is basically the hub for Ubers content on YouTube, with featured channels and videos of Ubers Content being displayed here for easy access. I will work on incorporating old videos from Edgar, TonyFlygon, aim and other channels, as BW and even DPP Ubers content is great to watch and is now kindof timeless seeing as it is an old generation - i.e. it is not really "outdated" content. I also plan to incorporate an easy system to find different generations and content of different kinds, through colourcoding or whatever.

I will take full responsibility for maintaining this thread and the OP, editing in new content as it is uploaded and organising it etc. I will discuss with Ace Emerald, Minority Suspect etc about how to proceed as concerns a united effort as regards making content (posts on this will be in the second post underneath this).

########

Melee Mewtwo brought up four good questions to discuss, which are:

1. What type of videos need to be made regularly? (stuff like intro to ubers, ladder sessions, tourny commentary, etc maybe?)
2. How often do these videos need to be produced?
3. Who is available when to help put these together?
4. Anybody with fancy editing skills, or otherwise, that could add to the simple record your voice over a video?

########

If you would like to contribute in any way, please post and/or tell me :). Any discussion about Ubers content or videos is welcome! Ubers is a fantastic tier and needs more love on YouTube, so hopefully this will help change that!

########

Featured Channels and Content:

1. Edgar a.k.a. Dblacstardust on Youtube: Edgar's Youtube Channel

Edgar's POCL content:

Week 2 vs Steve Angello
Week 3 vs Puregenius
Week 4 vs Fixed

Edgar's Standalone videos/lives:

Showcasing Trick Room Victini
Showcasing Scolipede
A video on why Edgar doesn't like "Top 10" laddering videos
Swords Dance Mega Scizor
Showcasing Mega Mawile
Showcasing how good Gothitelle is
Nasty Plot Mega Lucario

Check out his Live to the Top series (slightly outdated):

Live To The Top Part 1
Live To The Top Part 2
Live To The Top Part 3
Live To The Top Part 4

Also see his commentary on his Ubers games in SPL (slightly outdated):

Week 5: Furai
Week 6: Problems
Week 7: TGMD

########

2. aim a.k.a. Pokeaimmd on Youtube: Pokeaimmd's Youtube Channel

Pokeaimmd did a Ladder to Top Ten in Ubers a couple of months ago, the playlist can be found here

Aim's standalone videos/lives:

Ubers Open Week 1 Round 1 vs ZoroarkForever
An Ubers Wi-Fi battle between Aim and Edgar
A discussion on the Shadow Tag Suspect (slightly out of date)
Another Ubers Wi-Fi battle
A one-off Ubers match between Aim and Problems

Pokeaimmd does a ton of other videos across all the tiers, with his "Top Ten" series having been completed/in progress in every major tier

########

3. Piexplode recently started up his own Youtube channel: Piexplode's Youtube Channel

He has an XY UMS or XY Ubers Metagame Series where he discusses different things each episode, this can be found here

Piexplode and Level 56 have a match and test Diancie
Piexplode plays Iampie and uses an interesting Giratina-Origin set
Piexplode plays Pokeaimmd

Piexplode also does videos on other random tiers such as RBY LC and RBY OU

########

4. Joryn also recently started: Joryn's Youtube Channel

Joryn does funny replays and sets that are hilarious to watch, the playlist containing gems such as Chatot, Special Mega Khan and Acrobatics Yveltal can be found here

Joryn plays on the lower ladder with Slurpuff
Joryn uses a randomised team on the ladder
Some douchebag called LustrousPalkia does a Gastrodon analysis for Joryn

Joryn also plays Smogon Doubles and uploads Let's Plays too

########

5. the official Smogon Youtube channel can be found here: SmogonU Youtube Channel

the most recent Uberscast discussing UPL, Gens III/IV/V and Shadow Tag
the 4th XY Uberscast

These Ubercasts are worth checking out purely to see how sexy Hack, Shrang, Melee Mewtwo, Sweep and the rest of our tier leaders and best players look :), and the content is of course great too.

########

6. K Legacy is another uploader: K Legacy's Channel

His content:

K Legacy's Road to Top 100 in Ubers
K Legacy's Ubers Teambuilding Videos
K Legacy's Team Showcases
Random Ubers content e.g. Ubers Doubles

he also plays on Pokebattle and is planning on uploading non-competitive content too :]

########

7. Me: my (LustrousPalkia's) Youtube channel

I upload a myriad of random content, lately I am taking a break from competitive mons but I'll probably start again soon :)

My Commentaries:

Uberstars: Hack vs Lair Of Judgment (Round 1)
Haruno's Tour Final: Kebabe vs Tomohawk (Match 2)
Hack vs El Poeta (POCL)
Celeberty vs Vileman, Ubers Open, Round 1, Game 1
Celeberty vs Vileman, Ubers Open, Round 1, Game 2

I also like uploading Alternative Ubers content such as Almost Any Ability and STABmons

AAA Ubers vs Shrang
AAA Ubers vs Aidin
Ubers Monotype vs N00b (minitour final)

Standalone Content:

A Video explaining why Shadow Tag makes Chansey unviable in Ubers
A Primal Groudon and Kyogre speculation video, after hearing about the new abilities (I literally only talk about Kyogre for 30 seconds because Primal Kyogre is bad compared to Primal Groudon)

Showdown Lives:

Showcasing Specially Defensive Palkia
Watching Aidin fall in love with DPP

I also upload other, non-competitive stuff, such as a Pokemon Emerald Battle Frontier series, which can be found here

This thread will be updated as often as possible, I will post links to new videos and incorporate them into the OP as well :)

Last edited:

PISTOLERO

Minority Suspect posted his ideas as concerns good content (he suggests a unified Smogon Ubers Channel too, but his ideas on their own are still good):

Rather than having a ton of small channels where content is spread around (the larger ones don't focus on Ubers alone) we should have an official channel for Smogon Ubers that is maintained by several people. This would make accessing content much easier and convenient as well as condensing all the interest in a single channel which could lead to a larger following. Obviously more ideas can sprout up but I believe at the very minimum such a channel should cover:

~ Tour Battles with Commentary
It may be difficult if not nearly impossible for a single person to record, commentate, and upload all the Ubers tour matches worth watching, thus we could have several good users dedicated to doing this. I think commentary should be recorded live during a match despite the inconvenience; when the commentator does not know the outcome of the match the commentary tends to be of higher quality. Obviously tour battles should be complete both in the recording and in the commentary (team preview to when the match is decided). Tour battles would be the first section on this community channel.

~ Informative Stand Alone Videos
These not only help create a following, but they keep more casual / less experienced players up to speed with what is happening in Ubers and why. One person or perhaps the same team of people should work on these as to keep consistency in style and voice. Topics could range from latest metagame trends, to explaining a suspect, to subjects that are covered in the Ubers forums already such as team building and so on. There could even be sub-sections like "Top 10" videos (shudders) but unlike all the other Pokemon youtubers these would actually be watchable.

~ Friendlies Matches
Often times good matches can occur from friendly matches, and these can be not only enjoyable to watch but informative as well. Matches such as those from Battle of the Week could also be posted here for players who were unable to watch the match live.

~ Ladder Shenanigans
Another section on such a channel could be reserved for incredibly funny matches that occur on the ladder (we would have a quality control team to make sure only the best ones are posted) and I think it would be even more fun if a group of people commentated these as well (in this case it wouldn't be live because duh). In addition there could also be laddering session videos (with quality commentary would be best) with players using sets and Pokemon that would never be considered for a serious team.

There are obviously tons of other possibilities for sections on a Ubers community youtube channel but we really should have something like this if we are going to bother with actually posting videos on a channel.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I disagree with a seperate youtube channel. Why not upload to SmogonU and try to help them grow? This centralizes all the content and directly supports the site itself. I agree with the ideas but don't think a seperate collab channel is the way to go. I'm pretty sure Ace Emerald already replied in the closed thread. Anyway was just expressing my concerns, this looks really good man.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For tour commentary I think having two commentators is superior, though harder because of availability. The reasoning behind this is that in a live battle there is a lot of downtime between turns. Some people could fill all that time talking, but in most live tour commentary I've watched there is a lot of silence / pointless talk which honestly is really boring--this is not a jab at those comentators, there is just not enough stuff to talk about.

Two or more people eases this a lot, being able to bounce ideas off one another and whatnot. This was the case in that Smog Tour finals uploaded to the main channel with iirc Chimpact, Shake, and New Breed.

I also want to say that play by play in turn based games is really boring to listen to. The interesting part is reasoning behind moves and further implications. Edit: this is a general statement, not refering to anyone in particular, it just needs to be explicit.

Edit: Not all commentators have to be amazing at ubers. If there is one good player and one average player the average player can ask interesting questions to increase discussion. After all, most of the people watching the video for the commentary itself are probably average level (like myself) and want to learn. This makes it a bit easier to get pairs.

Last edited:
So for the most part people think that making a new channel fo smogon ubers isn't the right way to go, yes? If that's the case then we need to discuss what kind of videos we would like to see on the smogonU channel, do we want live commentaries, metagame discussions, content for beginning players to get them interested into the tier and things that we wouldn't want to see on the smogonU channel as well (maybe we decide that's not the place for fo things like laddering and joking around with friends on the ladder).

Personally I feel like it would be a lot to our benefit to upload a few ubers videos a week to smogonU, not only would it benefit the ubers cummunity by making more people interested in the tier and help it grow, but it would help out own small channels to grow (which gives people more of a reason to upload).

Also I'd be willing to contribute to the smogon channel if you'd have me.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I'd be willing to help upload and commentate on ubers videos for a general channel, I now have skype access, and I have access to camtasia so recording on screen etc. is pretty damn easy to produce. Obviously I'm not the only one who can do this ;) But I'm offering my services (also aim I'm on a new laptop and I need a new link for the camtasia thing ;-; the codes didn't work on the version I downloaded so idk probably could do with your version that you sent to me before - would eb very grateful)

I would cooperate, the thing is. I would feel very restricted in the way I communicate like, on my videos I curse a lot and call my opponents (BAN ME PLEASE)s, etc.. I don't know if you guys would really want that. Being honest, without cursing and all that jazz I get bored pretty quickly, like I've stopped 5 mins recordings when I'm trying to behave "correctly" because it is just not as exciting than the traditional way and I just try to record something standard later, you feel me? Like when someone would get game changing hax I would most likely call him/her names (you can ask Joey about that LOL). So in other words, knowing I have to be nice when I'm clearly not that way 100% of the time makes it a bit boring for me to record. I don't want any people butthurt because I called them names, my super old subs already kno Ima call someone a fagg0t when they luck me and shit.

I like aim's idea, where we upload to the SmogonU channel, although, I'll be slowing down on my uploads as IRL shit is taking over a bit, what with my Air Force Application running it's course. But I do like the idea of a collective channel, it would obviously have to be discussed with some staff first, but I'm all for it, and it would probably give me motivation to upload better stuff and more frequently. That's if you guys would actually want me on the collective lol

Side note too, If we uploaded to SmogonU, I'm sure the Ubers community will grow substantially, increasing the popularity ect, it would also give the YouTubers involved, a wider audience, to promote their name/videos too. And it cant hurt for people like Hack who have their major games commentated on :]

RE to the Informational Stand Alone videos, I think this could be expanded on, with voice analyses' of Pokemon and voice RMT's ect?
Just a thought if anyone wants to chime in?

Also, nice job on this Raph :]

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rather than full voice analyses, something like this

would be pretty cool. Single sets are good length and easy to find, whereas a full analysis might last a while and it would be hard to find individual sets. Checks and teammates are more applicable this way anyway.

Imo start with common sets like Ekiller, GeoXern, Kyogre, Groudon, etc, targeting beginners, then maybe cool surpirsing sets like Freeze Dry Mamo (though it might be becoming standard now) or underrated mons. Just a thought.

would be pretty cool. Single sets are good length and easy to find, whereas a full analysis might last a while and it would be hard to find individual sets. Checks and teammates are more applicable this way anyway.

Imo start with common sets like Ekiller, GeoXern, Kyogre, Groudon, etc, targeting beginners, then maybe cool surpirsing sets like Freeze Dry Mamo (though it might be becoming standard now) or underrated mons. Just a thought.
yeah, i agree with what you're saying... Also, regarding the GeoXern set, an in depth about which coverage moves to run would also be very useful to beginners, maybe some usage stats for proof? Idk... someone should get on that, and if not, I will :) But this is all dependant on whether we'd get access to the SmogonU channel... Anyone know who we'd have to talk to about that? aim might know as he is a regular in the social media room i believe?

Also,
For tour commentary I think having two commentators is superior, though harder because of availability. The reasoning behind this is that in a live battle there is a lot of downtime between turns. Some people could fill all that time talking, but in most live tour commentary I've watched there is a lot of silence / pointless talk which honestly is really boring--this is not a jab at those comentators, there is just not enough stuff to talk about.

Two or more people eases this a lot, being able to bounce ideas off one another and whatnot. This was the case in that Smog Tour finals uploaded to the main channel with iirc Chimpact, Shake, and New Breed.

I also want to say that play by play in turn based games is really boring to listen to. The interesting part is reasoning behind moves and further implications. Edit: this is a general statement, not refering to anyone in particular, it just needs to be explicit.

Edit: Not all commentators have to be amazing at ubers. If there is one good player and one average player the average player can ask interesting questions to increase discussion. After all, most of the people watching the video for the commentary itself are probably average level (like myself) and want to learn. This makes it a bit easier to get pairs.
RE to this, i agree completely with this statement, i feel too many youtubers do just do play by play commentarys, and not talk about why they made those risks/plays, again, not directed at anyone in particular as I do it in a few of my Threats and Sets gimmick videos. Having the player and maybe one or two other contributors or outsiders being on skype while they are commentating their plays and asking why they did these things would be alot more beneficial to beginners or even amateur players looking to better themselves :]

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ace Emerald is always looking for eager users who are willing to put up content. He's your guy if you want access. And by access i mean sending him/others with access vid links to upload. Hope that answers your question. I know tennisace is also able to upload

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also, regarding the GeoXern set, an in depth about which coverage moves to run would also be very useful to beginners, maybe some usage stats for proof? Idk... someone should get on that, and if not, I will
I already made a thread about this, I would jump on doing analysis for Substitute as well more details, but interest in it has died.

EKiller is a little more cut and dry but I wouldn't mind doing a similar thread for that one so long as interest in it existed.

I like aim's idea, where we upload to the SmogonU channel, although, I'll be slowing down on my uploads as IRL shit is taking over a bit, what with my Air Force Application running it's course. But I do like the idea of a collective channel, it would obviously have to be discussed with some staff first, but I'm all for it, and it would probably give me motivation to upload better stuff and more frequently. That's if you guys would actually want me on the collective lol

Side note too, If we uploaded to SmogonU, I'm sure the Ubers community will grow substantially, increasing the popularity ect, it would also give the YouTubers involved, a wider audience, to promote their name/videos too. And it cant hurt for people like Hack who have their major games commentated on :]

RE to the Informational Stand Alone videos, I think this could be expanded on, with voice analyses' of Pokemon and voice RMT's ect?
Just a thought if anyone wants to chime in?

Also, nice job on this Raph :]
Bolded words are pretty much exactly while uploading our videos on the smogon channel are appealing to me.

As far as stand alone informational videos go there are plenty of different things we can do, we should want things that will appeal to newer players to get them interested in the tier, and help them grow as an ubers player (though we definently still want content that intrests etablished ubers players). Things already mentions likes voiced RMTs would give newer palyers good teams to use and have knowlage on how to use them, Videos about individual pokemon about different sets and coverage will allow newer players to know what stuff they can expact when they actually play against them. So videos like that are for sure good things we can do.

Something along the lines of that video is deffinently something that can be done, and they are very informational to newer players. As for what pokemon we use it's really up to the content creater, and people can always suggest/request a certain pokemon.

yeah, i agree with what you're saying... Also, regarding the GeoXern set, an in depth about which coverage moves to run would also be very useful to beginners, maybe some usage stats for proof? Idk... someone should get on that, and if not, I will :) But this is all dependant on whether we'd get access to the SmogonU channel... Anyone know who we'd have to talk to about that? aim might know as he is a regular in the social media room i believe?

Also,

RE to this, i agree completely with this statement, i feel too many youtubers do just do play by play commentarys, and not talk about why they made those risks/plays, again, not directed at anyone in particular as I do it in a few of my Threats and Sets gimmick videos. Having the player and maybe one or two other contributors or outsiders being on skype while they are commentating their plays and asking why they did these things would be alot more beneficial to beginners or even amateur players looking to better themselves :]
[BOLDED] I feel like this content is some of the most valuble ones we can produce, watching commentary one a high level game intrested people that are already knowledgeable in the tier, and having another player asking questions and things makes it educational for newer players.

Edgar I know we had complaints on the few times BKC used the word (BAN ME PLEASE) in particular during the last uberscast. I don't think other swear words are a problem for most folks. Ace Emerald will definitely have to let us know the rules on those types of expression.

I've personally always liked live battle commentary as opposed to commentating replays as there's the speculation, sense of surprise, and other interesting factors that come with it. I'd definitely be willing to help out in dual commentaries for those. Scheduling these obviously depends a lot on tournament schedules and chance, to an extent, so there'll definitely need to be something that can be done on a more regular basis. Doing live commentary for botw could be really useful, though, in having consistent solid battles and to give folks more incentive to go try hard in them and just make the whole thing a bit more like the prestige it used to have.

There's a lot of folks who seem interested in doing individual set analyses. Since the overall concept seems to be pretty unanimous, how do you guys want to start going about implementing them?

I'm thinking that a lack of deadlines or other red tape, in general, would make the whole experience much more enjoyable and voluntary. A simple do them when you feel it and then the official chan can upload one of what they get week by week could work out well. Having an informal QC process where you guys just post the script in here for open critique before recording might be beneficial to have extra input and make sure there's no risk of accidental misinformation.

Ladder shenanigans videos seem a good way to have a laid back, easy to do type videos. Although, I do think that much like tour commentary they would benefit from having two folks talking. There's gonna be a lot more dead time and just really stupid shit you'll be up against that won't really have much in terms of interesting strategies to discuss so just having another dude to shit around with while you stomp yanmegas would be worthwhile. You could also try to make them interactive with the viewer base by asking them for input on gimmicks or theme teams much like how shrang does.

I'm not a strong youtube guy but I'm definitely willing to help you guys out in making ubers more popular :o

PISTOLERO

I love how this thread went from dead and buried to full of life :]

Alright so tonight I'm gonna spend hours on stuff, this is what i plan to do:

Geomancy Xerneas Coverage - Video form (credits to Minority Suspect). I'll go into huge detail about this :]

"Bow Down to Your God" - a series i came up with, 19 episodes long, about all the arceus formes, with an introduction video. Melee Mewtwo, remember the huge guide i wrote up? it will basically be that in video form. (also, i need you or Hack to check that one last time cause i'd love to be able to upload it as a resource :] - i've gone back through it and it will be easy to remove Shadow Tag mentions when/if it gets banned, as well as weave in content such as the fact that Waterceus gets trampled by Groudon etc.) I'll be doing the intro video and probably the first 2/3 types (alphabetically) tonight. The basic idea is what set to use, what formes fit on which teams, evs, moveset variations, you get the idea. the first couple of types are easy (Bug rofl) but for others I'll write up a basic checklist and have someone smart like Hack check it out. also, some types are fat and versatile, e.g. Ghostceus, so we could do a couple of episodes as collaborations :] get back to me on this, and just look down the type list (again, alphabetically).

There are these "Introduction to OU/NU" Videos on the SmogonU channel, I will whip a "intro to ubers part 1" video up real quick tonight, it shouldn't be too hard with powerpoint :] - i'll cover the basic s-rank and a+ rank hopefully, i have the videos already up to use as a presentation reference.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Imo u should put a couple of types in each one except for like water/ghost since otherwise u'll have like 1 minute long videos ;-;

Edit: LustrousPalkia and I made a pair of videos together. The links for these as they're uploaded to youtube atm but unlisted are
POCL Steve Angello vs Arsenal
and
- Me vs Aqua Bo3 Serious-ish Teams.

Obviously I'd send the video to SmogonU by some other method idk what'd be appropriate but I'm sure it can be figured out.
:)
We'd understand if the POCL match wasn't accepted (since it's a PO major tour not smogon/ps) and if that were the case it'd just be uploaded onto LustrousPalkia's channel instead.

Last edited:
I've personally always liked live battle commentary as opposed to commentating replays as there's the speculation, sense of surprise, and other interesting factors that come with it. I'd definitely be willing to help out in dual commentaries for those. Scheduling these obviously depends a lot on tournament schedules and chance, to an extent, so there'll definitely need to be something that can be done on a more regular basis. Doing live commentary for botw could be really useful, though, in having consistent solid battles and to give folks more incentive to go try hard in them and just make the whole thing a bit more like the prestige it used to have.

Ladder shenanigans videos seem a good way to have a laid back, easy to do type videos. Although, I do think that much like tour commentary they would benefit from having two folks talking. There's gonna be a lot more dead time and just really stupid shit you'll be up against that won't really have much in terms of interesting strategies to discuss so just having another dude to shit around with while you stomp yanmegas would be worthwhile. You could also try to make them interactive with the viewer base by asking them for input on gimmicks or theme teams much like how shrang does.
If anyone wants to do any live stuff like this with me LMK.

I wouldnt mind doing any live stuff with people, I just wont be free on wednesdays or fridays. And bc of my timezone (UK) it might be hard to do live stuff with you Muricans :[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)