Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this qualifies as a simple question, but it does deal with in-game mechanics so:

According to this source code (line 58), Pokerus is generated at the end of a (wild?) battle if bits 29-16 of a 32-bit random number are all equal to 0. Isn't this a 2^14 or 4 in 65536 chance? Why does the comment immediately above (as well as numerous other sources) state 3 in 65536?

How can I get Swords Dance Shedinja? I've heard it's only possible in Gen III or Gen IV, but I took a look at Serebii's pokédex and couldn't figure out how.

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
How can I get Swords Dance Shedinja? I've heard it's only possible in Gen III or Gen IV, but I took a look at Serebii's pokédex and couldn't figure out how.
Apparently Shedinja learning Swords Dance was a glitch, meaning it doesn't get it. After checking Bulbapedia and Serebii, I found no methods of it getting Swords Dance, nor Nincada getting it. The reason it is allowed on the simulator is because apparently Smogon counts this glitch move as being usable. However Smogon apparently allows it as many of its BW sets include Swords Dance, though it isn't listed as a move Shedinja gets. (Couldn't get mah screenshot, stupid screenshotting tool.)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Apparently Shedinja learning Swords Dance was a glitch, meaning it doesn't get it. After checking Bulbapedia and Serebii, I found no methods of it getting Swords Dance, nor Nincada getting it. The reason it is allowed on the simulator is because apparently Smogon counts this glitch move as being usable. However Smogon apparently allows it as many of its BW sets include Swords Dance, though it isn't listed as a move Shedinja gets. (Couldn't get mah screenshot, stupid screenshotting tool.)
Prior to Gen V, you could evolve Nincada at Lv25 (the level it learns Swords Dance as a Ninjask) and the resulting Shedinja would also know Swords Dance. This applies to all other Ninjask-only moves.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
On a related note, I also have the legit versions of Ruby and Emerald. The internal battery of Ruby ran out a few years ago and the one for Emerald ran dry a few months ago. Does anyone know what sort of batteries all three of these games require and where to buy them? I bought them all in Japan in the Navy Exchanges of American bases around their original release dates. Just wondering if there might be technical difficulties since they might be international versions.
I googled it and apparently it's a CR1616 button cell battery (or you could just open the game and the battery itself/the game's mother board should say what type of battery it is, although I honestly can't imagine the Japanese version requiring a different battery than the American one, if that's what you're worried about. The site I found the battery type didn't specify anything about region, so that also leads me to believe it shouldn't matter lol) You should be able to buy it at any decent electrical supply store - those batteries aren't specific to game cartridges. The batteries of GSC fit into these games just as well as into PCs and wristwatches and whatnot.

(Also, about Sapphire, if you don't trust eBay, maybe you could go to the guy's place and collect it in person? And I've never used eBay, but the used products site I use has a vendor review system - and you can also check if his bank account number/phone number has ever been reported to the police - doesn't eBay have something similar? If a guy has sold tons of stuff and he's never been banned/warned, it's usually rather safe to say he can be trusted. In any case I don't think you should be asking anything about bootlegs here :\ )

Maybe bootleg was the wrong word to use, but it was a pirated version that I bought in a legit store for the actual price. Yeah I got scammed into buying a product with functionalities worse than the original, but don't blame me. I thought that it was the actual game and I broke it somehow. I was around eight years old at the time and had no access to the internet or other references until years later and that's when I realized I had a bad copy of the game. Thanks for the help, The Dutch Plumberjack.

I know it's possible to get a magikarp knowing hydro pump, but I don't know how, and I can't seem to find the answer :( I just really want to beat the e4 with these fishies :3

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I know it's possible to get a magikarp knowing hydro pump, but I don't know how, and I can't seem to find the answer :( I just really want to beat the e4 with these fishies :3
guess you're talking about this one here, some Japanese event one. I had never heard of it until a minute ago, but it doesn't look like it's easily obtainable :\

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the place to ask this but here's my situation. I have a regular 3ds with my Nintendo ID on it. I bought the digital version of Pokemon Y the day it came out and I've since put nearly 800 hrs into it. I have completed my Dex, maxed out the o powers, you name it. I just acquired a 3dsxl today and I want to transfer my Nintendo ID and content onto my new 3ds. Will I lose my saved game and all my items and pkmn in the transfer, or will I also have them in my new 3ds? If anyone can please answer this I'd appreciate it.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I don't know if this is the place to ask this but here's my situation. I have a regular 3ds with my Nintendo ID on it. I bought the digital version of Pokemon Y the day it came out and I've since put nearly 800 hrs into it. I have completed my Dex, maxed out the o powers, you name it. I just acquired a 3dsxl today and I want to transfer my Nintendo ID and content onto my new 3ds. Will I lose my saved game and all my items and pkmn in the transfer, or will I also have them in my new 3ds? If anyone can please answer this I'd appreciate it.
Hi there,

This thread has been moved around abit to try and give you the best answer. Stellar has some experience with the 3DS transfer system so he might be able to give you a better answer, but as far as I am aware everything should transfer and stay the same. You shouldn't lose any data.

You can also check out some users/post in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nintendo-3ds-discussion-thread-mark-3.3497481/page-4 if you do not get a satisfactory answer here.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Do Canada and USA count as different locations for Masuda Method purposes?
It isn't country that matters, it's language. When looking at the pokemon's summary screen, all foreign pokemon (with a different language region than yours) will have a black box next to the pokemon's level denoting its original region (ITA - Italian, ENG - English, GER - German, JPN - Japan, SPA - Spanish, KOR - Korean, FRE - French).

For the purposes of masuda method breeding, you need to use 2 pokemon from different language regions. For example, if 2 Canadian people, one with the game's language set to English and one with the language set to French, traded pokemon to use as breeders and attempted to MM a shiny, it would be possible. However, if a person from the US and Japan, both with the language set to English, were to trade parent pokemon and attempt to MM breed, they would not be successful, because both games have the same language set.

EDIT: Please note that when the pokemon's region of origin is the same as yours (i.e. all English pokemon on my English region game), they will not have a black box.

Last edited:
It isn't country that matters, it's language. When looking at the pokemon's summary screen, all foreign pokemon (with a different language region than yours) will have a black box next to the pokemon's level denoting its original region (ITA - Italian, ENG - English, GER - German, JPN - Japan, SPA - Spanish, KOR - Korean, FRE - French).

For the purposes of masuda method breeding, you need to use 2 pokemon from different language regions. For example, if 2 Canadian people, one with the game's language set to English and one with the language set to French, traded pokemon to use as breeders and attempted to MM a shiny, it would be possible. However, if a person from the US and Japan, both with the language set to English, were to trade parent pokemon and attempt to MM breed, they would not be successful, because both games have the same language set.

EDIT: Please note that if the pokemon's region of origin is the same as yours (i.e. all English pokemon on my English region game) will not have a black box.
Thanks for clarifying that; I was a bit confused since I'm new to MMing.

EDIT: Please note that when the pokemon's region of origin is the same as yours (i.e. all English pokemon on my English region game), they will not have a black box.
Wow, really? That's great, I thought what mattered was the country. Good thing I set my cousin's language to English, then I can Masuda breed a lot easier.

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
In the battle maison, is a flawed IV in a defense or special defense for an offensive pokemon significant?
It should be fine supposing it's not abysmal. So 23 in Defenses or higher should be very great when doing the Battle Maison. (19 isn't bad, just an awkward number to me.) But having flawed Defense IVs isn't the end of the world for a Pokemon in the Battle Maison.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In the battle maison, is a flawed IV in a defense or special defense for an offensive pokemon significant?
I wouldn't say significant as it will only be a small percentage increase in damage taken by your 'mon. The way it would be detrimental is if it turns a 3HKO into a 2HKO or 2HKO into an OHKO. For example there may be a situation where your Pokemon would take 49% from some attack, which would mean a 3HKO, but if you're now taking a guaranteed 50% from something because of your flawed stat then that would mean you lose a whole turn as you now get 2HKO'd...

For example, you may have to send out your Multiscale Dragonite against the opponents jolly Weavile, at full health (let's assume it can't use Fake Out here) D-nite can live a non-crit Ice Punch and retaliate back with a Fire Punch + Extreme Speed combo, however if D-nite's Def IV is 11 or lower you risk a OHKO from Ice Punch.

Of course you can remedy that by having the non-perfect IV quite high (20+ like slayerx725232 said), this was just the only example I could think of off the top of my head! If we knew the Pokemon you've bred and how you plan to use it we could better evaluate whether it will matter or not. If you have a team in mind you can post in the Maison thread, I'm sure they can help much better than me

Anyway I used an Excadrill from my BW2 game that had no perfect stats (all were 20+ though) in a doubles sandstorm team that at least beat the Chatelaine, and I'm pretty sure there's a randomly caught Zapdos on the leaderboard somewhere. So while flawlessly IV'd Pokemon are important, you can get away with ones that aren't most of the time (speed and attacking option are the important ones here)

edit: had KO's around the wrong way. Turning a ohko into a 2hko? That's a good thing haha

Last edited:
Can anyone generate a good in-game set for a Pokémon that can learn Fly and have some way to utilize it in battle. I'm not a huge fan of the birds one would find around the starting routes given that they are incredibly frail and I already have fast and incredibly offensive Pokémon that I travel with.

For example,

Tropius @Starf Berry
Ability: Harvest
Bold Nature (252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 Sp.D)
Steel Wing
Fly
Leech Seed/Synthesis
Protect

Steel Wing is my main attack with Leech Seed/Synthesis and Protect giving me longevity as I stall for more stat boosts. Since Fly is a two-turn attack, I felt like it would suit this set nicely. I already have a Grass Type on my main party though, otherwise Tropius would be great. Not looking for something overly amazing as this is mainly for utility. Any suggestions are welcome.

I usually use my in-game Talonflame with Fly / Brave Bird / Flamethrower / Roost. Sure, it has poor neutral coverage and is frail, but you don't notice it much when you are level 100 and your opponent is level 70 at most (80 if you fight Diantha in the Chateau with Black Writ). It also has Flame Body so I can hatch eggs quickly with it.

If you wanted, you could probably do the same with a Volcarona as it isn't particularly frail and isn't an early game bird, but can have Flame Body as an ability, learn fly to move you from a to b quickly, and learn Morning Sun to restore HP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)