Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Compared to things like Rampardos, Clamperl, etc, Mesprit doesn't really hit very hard, btw that depends on which set I run. The set I have is Psychic/Trick Room/ SR / Healing Wish, is your set a LO set?

I think Carbink could be viable, it gets screens, SR(I think?) and Explosion, so thanks for the suggestion.
Uxie would be a much better pokemon to use in that situation, its bulkier and you can use Memento over Healing Wish which would be better for a lead because it forces the opponent out after you momentum. You can also run dual screens over SR with Trick Room if you wanted.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You probably want speed investment for Sawk or Zangoose and maybe some spatk to get specific KOs such as Gurdurr.
Some speed might be good, but generally you dont want to invest any special attack because the whole point of the set is to set up and be incredibly bulky. You should be setting up late game and try to get up 2-3 calm minds before even attacking.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Compared to things like Rampardos, Clamperl, etc, Mesprit doesn't really hit very hard, btw that depends on which set I run. The set I have is Psychic/Trick Room/ SR / Healing Wish, is your set a LO set?

I think Carbink could be viable, it gets screens, SR(I think?) and Explosion, so thanks for the suggestion.
Late reply, but if your team is TR, shouldn't your Carbink have Trick Room? It shouldn't have any room for Screens, and if u really want to help your Clamperl (possibly) set up then Memento Uxie can support it in just one moveslot.

Ares

What's the moveset and ev spread for lead Delibird?
Delibird @ Focus Sash
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Destiny Bond
- Ice Punch
Something like that, you can probably take out of HP if you want more attack for ice punch.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What's the ev spread for subcm uxie?
here was my optimized spread from a while back, not too sure how applicable it is anymore but i'm still fond of it

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 48 SpA / 36 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

48 SpA gives you a solid chance to 2HKO 4/0 gatr after sr. 36 spdef makes it so plume cant break your sub at +1, even if max spa. 176 spe timid outruns max positive 85s (sawk). rest in hp

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How can I get more involved in the forums?
it's really simple: if you feel like you've lurked enough, simply contribute to threads. you can:

- share good sets / playstyles in the np thread,
- post good cores in the good cores thread,
- share sets in the underrated sets thread,
- nominate Pokemon in viability ranking,
- discuss stuff in theorymonning thread,
- submit teams in sample teams thread,
- participate in minitours,
- participate in teambuilding competition,
- think of an idea for a new thread and pester Raseri about it,
- etc etc!

I also recommend you hop on the NU room on PS (although you should already have been there) as well as #neverused on irc to mingle with the community.

Is Weakness Policy Carbink a usable set or is it a bad set undeserving of even OO for me to post in the "Don't Use That" thread? (this set is an option in randbats and I see several lower ladder players use it in the NU ladder, I tried it myself on an alt and was unimpressed)

Is Weakness Policy ROCK WITH EYES a usable set or is it a bad set undeserving of even OO for me to post in the "Don't Use That" thread? (this set is an option in randbats and I see several lower ladder players use it in the NU ladder, I tried it myself on an alt and was unimpressed)
Considering Carbink's stat spread (low speed and offensive stats, lots of bulk) and movepool it is quite obvious that it is more suited to setting entry hazards and field supporting moves like Stealth Rock and Dual Screens and i would never use Wealness Policy on a serious team (and seriously it is still weak after the boost and has no way of hitting Steel Types). The only offensive set I would run is a mono attacking Calm Mind set.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Considering Carbink's stat spread (low speed and offensive stats, lots of bulk) and movepool it is quite obvious that it is more suited to setting entry hazards and field supporting moves like Stealth Rock and Dual Screens and i would never use Wealness Policy on a serious team (and seriously it is still weak after the boost and has no way of hitting Steel Types). The only offensive set I would run is a mono attacking Calm Mind set.
Actually I wouldn't even try SR + Dual Screens since Uxie exists. Carbink does make a bitchin' Trick Room lead tho.

Carbink in my opinion has two currently viable sets. The first is as a Trick Room Lead, and the second as RestTalk CM. It really shines in its CroBink set though, because it can take advantage of its cool resistances and god-tier defenses to endlessly spam Calm Mind on defensive teams, and eventually build up to the point that Moonblast will do more than half a percent!

Which pokemon do you guys think is the better sweeper? Dragonair or Shelgon? They are both very similar and I was wondering which one to use.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Which pokemon do you guys think is the better sweeper? Dragonair or Shelgon? They are both very similar and I was wondering which one to use.
Definitely Dragonair. Shelgon is more like a filler wall. It can't do a whole lot outside of taking physical hits. There was a Rest Sleep Talk Dragonair set in Gen 5, and that worked kind of well. Rest, Sleep Talk, Dragon Dance, Outrage I think it was. If you get rid of Fairies, that set puts in work. And like xzern pointed out, Dragonair has access to Extremespeed, which is an amazing priority move to finish off weakened teams. So yeah, Dragonair.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Any tips for HO in NU?

Also, for HO, should i use Feraligatr with Dragon Dance or swords dance or both?
when using HO, you always want to make sure that your team has good type balance (aka synergy). you also want some good balance between setup sweepers, bulky attackers, basic fast attackers, offensive pivots, etc.

you dont want to run 2 setup moves on the same pokemon, but using either ddance or sd on gatr is personal preference, since both are good sets. here are example sets for the respective setup moves:

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Return

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Return/Ice Punch

Thanks, xzern.

Who is the best rain dance user in NU? I already have Uxie in my team and i know of Liepard, but is there any other good user?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks, xzern.

Who is the best rain dance user in NU? I already have Uxie in my team and i know of Liepard, but is there any other good user?
since every pokemon can learn rain dance, it mostly just depends on the rest of your team. uxie and liepard are considered some of the best weather setters though. for rain dance, rain sweepers like ludicolo are also used since it can just start killing things off the bat. maybe even seismitoad, since it is sometimes used as a rain sweeper.

Ares

Thanks, xzern.

Usually when building a rain team (this also applies to sun) you want a bulky mon that can setup rocks and then setup the weather. So pokemon like Uxie and Seismitoad can both do this and are common choices. Then you want another setter for later on in the match, preferably with prankster. Prankster ensures you will setup the weather late game, you can use another bulky setter but it isn't as good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)