Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
upload_2014-9-18_21-6-16.png
Got a Pikachu Pop-Star here ready for use. still needs to get out some kinks but for not I think it works. I actually started to run out of colors and needed a lighter gray >.< I'll try to get PhD and Rock done of the weekend but not sure.
Also thank you Layell for moving my post xP I kept meaning to edit it but started new post instead. My mistake and I understand it was getting spammish. But I was actually posting on my phone and hard to work things on here while on it.

View attachment 26640Got a Pikachu Pop-Star here ready for use. still needs to get out some kinks but for not I think it works. I actually started to run out of colors and needed a lighter gray >.< I'll try to get PhD and Rock done of the weekend but not sure.
Also thank you Layell for moving my post xP I kept meaning to edit it but started new post instead. My mistake and I understand it was getting spammish. But I was actually posting on my phone and hard to work things on here while on it.
Your PikaPop is a good start, but I feel there are two things that need to be addressed with it:
First, the pose is a bit too dynamic, though could be used for a rare animation. We should probably keep all of the Pikachu's in a relatively similar pose.
Second, aside from facial-fixing and shading adjustments, the tilt that PikaPop is at seems way to diagonal to be natural; especially the feet. Overall, the sprite has a nice start as the potential for a rare animation, but definitely needs tuned up some.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Your PikaPop is a good start, but I feel there are two things that need to be addressed with it:
First, the pose is a bit too dynamic, though could be used for a rare animation. We should probably keep all of the Pikachu's in a relatively similar pose.
Second, aside from facial-fixing and shading adjustments, the tilt that PikaPop is at seems way to diagonal to be natural; especially the feet. Overall, the sprite has a nice start as the potential for a rare animation, but definitely needs tuned up some.
Yeah I thought about how it would fit for a rare animation too. My original thought was to keep it the way it was and make a new rare animation. I Love making these things, it's just tired some, I definatly can make some adjustments I guess.

Edit:bylark you think you can make the mouth lower on the front? It looks odd

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok some notes from your beloved leaders:

-WPS' Rock Star Pikachu is good we will take it
-Pop Star Pikachu has some serious eye problems, Pikachu has very recognizable eyes/face cannot ruin that
-We agree Camerupt looks great, just need to wait for shiny now really.
-Backs are important, love backs.

I'm going to work on Swampert again

EDIT:

There is a lot I'll work on with this bad boy once I get better references but will do for now.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Ok some notes from your beloved leaders:

-WPS' Rock Star Pikachu is good we will take it
-Pop Star Pikachu has some serious eye problems, Pikachu has very recognizable eyes/face cannot ruin that
-We agree Camerupt looks great, just need to wait for shiny now really.
-Backs are important, love backs.

I'm going to work on Swampert again
Dealing with the Pikachu, I don't understand whether or not we should make rock star taller or keep it the same and make the others smaller. Cause Pop and Libre are about the same size but taller than rock and normal. Keep in mind the cosplay play pikas are the same Pikachu in game. I wouldn't mind rescaling mine down, however I think we should make them bigger to add more space for clothes.
Edit: I can fix pop stars eyes but it make take some time as I need to rearrange the head too.
Edit2: I realize Axl is making a Mega Gallade, but I hope you don't mind that I try to make one too.

Edit 3: yes edit 3 lol
upload_2014-9-22_18-21-40.png
I went ahead and made a Mega G-lade. Yes I know how sloppy this cape is. I also plan to edit that in the future.
If the arms are not that good I think we could use some parts from Gen 4 as they have longer blade similar to mega g-lade.

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I made a Pikachu Ph.D using normal Pikachu as a base with WPS's tail and Layell's palette, using both the options for the 16th color since his hand covers the Rare Candy. Unfortunately I have no idea how to properly recreate the spiral pattern of the glasses on such a small circle so there's this opaque placeholder right now, and I'm sure the shading on the labcoat needs work. Anyway if anyone has suggestions on how to improve this or if it's just unsalvageable please say so.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I made a Pikachu Ph.D using normal Pikachu as a base with WPS's tail and Layell's palette, using both the options for the 16th color since his hand covers the Rare Candy. Unfortunately I have no idea how to properly recreate the spiral pattern of the glasses on such a small circle so there's this opaque placeholder right now, and I'm sure the shading on the labcoat needs work. Anyway if anyone has suggestions on how to improve this or if it's just unsalvageable please say so.
I like it, head could use some work. Idk it seems pudgy to me, but hey who am I to say if it works or not xP
Seems cramped to me but I like what is done, these pikachu are very gimmicky and I wonder why Nintendo decided to do this. If you want you can use the other two pikachu's I made so it matches more.
His arms are a little small btw.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm starting to realize what a pain this Pikachu thing is going to be

-Eye shape
-Shrunk down, is now relative size to normal Pika
-Pant edits
-Shading edits
-New back ears (may need some more work idk)

I'll come back to this maybe later as well.

I think no matter what though, we are going to need a dedicated QC specifically for ensuring all Pikachu's look uniform for the final product. So that means another hour skype session between princessofmusic and I what joy.

We are at a point in ORAS sprites now where specific QC is necessary. I would not mind getting some stuff to a near perfect state, at the same time I'm not going to even touch some things if I think shiny will be a pain, or I need more model pics. We are at a good pace, here is hoping for two or three more reveals until leaking madness.

(nobody new better sprite a fake mega we don't do that here)

Also let axl take Gallade, we got to hand a man his fav.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I'm starting to realize what a pain this Pikachu thing is going to be

-Eye shape
-Shrunk down, is now relative size to normal Pika
-Pant edits
-Shading edits
-New back ears (may need some more work idk)

I'll come back to this maybe later as well.

I think no matter what though, we are going to need a dedicated QC specifically for ensuring all Pikachu's look uniform for the final product. So that means another hour skype session between princessofmusic and I what joy.

We are at a point in ORAS sprites now where specific QC is necessary. I would not mind getting some stuff to a near perfect state, at the same time I'm not going to even touch some things if I think shiny will be a pain, or I need more model pics. We are at a good pace, here is hoping for two or three more reveals until leaking madness.

(nobody new better sprite a fake mega we don't do that here)

Also let axl take Gallade, we got to hand a man his fav.
Haha, now you realize why I wanted to do all these Pikachu, cause they are hell to make! His right eye is odd but it might just cause the mask takes most of the eye area. The mouth bothers me though. Too small imo. I'll try to apply more changes to make them work. Should I scale down Popstar?

Edit:
upload_2014-9-24_18-36-6.png
Changed the pants a bit (white line on his left looked off). and moved an eye down. it looked too goofy and I think I fixed that eye.... for now. I'll get to work on fixing the other Pikachu later. This project is taking up some of my time, and I need to do better in some classes. expect me to be offline less, but I'll still give small updates and responses and reading the threads.

Last edited:
Giving this thread the good ole' Bergmite Bump.
Avalugg

Have a new Avalugg sprite, now with perspective (WOWCOOLWOW)

Anyway, since I have to do a project with printblocks and the like for Architecture class, I'll make this recap fairly quick.

-Completely new sprite!
-Now has visible backside!
-Shiny ice shading!
-Big, tanky sprite for a big, tanky 'mon!
-Yeah, I can't really think in full sentences right now.

But yeah, now that the Avalugg family is done, I wonder what I'll move onto next... (not really though, PoM already's the front sprite for my next piece and you will too in time.)

Speaking of future projects, TrainerSplash , it's worth pointing out that while I don't take offense to other people starting to sprite M-Gallade, its just that I fully intend to make my own scratch sprite for him regardless of how good the current sprite may be, simply because he is literally my favorite Pokemon and I'd be doing myself a personal disservice otherwise. Just a general heads-up in that regard.

I'll see if I can't drop off some actual meaningful commentary one of these days between college work sessions. Until then, keep up the good work, gang!

Sláinte!

Avalugg

Anyway, since I have to do a project with printblocks and the like for Architecture class, I'll make this recap fairly quick.

-Completely new sprite!
-Shiny ice shading!

But yeah, now that the Avalugg family is done, I wonder what I'll move onto next... (not really though, PoM already's the front sprite for my next piece and you will too in time.)

Speaking of future projects, TrainerSplash , it's worth pointing out that while I don't take offense to other people starting to sprite M-Gallade, its just that I fully intend to make my own scratch sprite for him regardless of how good the current sprite may be, simply because he is literally my favorite Pokemon and I'd be doing myself a personal disservice otherwise. Just a general heads-up in that regard.

I'll see if I can't drop off some actual meaningful commentary one of these days between college work sessions. Until then, keep up the good work, gang!

Sláinte!
I am not worthy of standing within the presence of such grandéur... Never have I doubted your skills, but seeing Avalugg done in my head was a nightmare in it of itself. (But I guess that's what all people say before they put pen on paper and something comes up)

Unfortunately, no update from me... or since the last I've posted. I'm replying from my tablet, and decided to see what was going on since I had a free night while at my grandfather's place preparing to help him move to Vegas. Finding the free time to work on the things I like such as this during college for me is like trying to find a needle in a haystack -to a large extent-. Then again, I'd guess that, bar Cynical and TrainerSplash (of whom has shown some impressive dedication in my opinion), everyone has school to worry about (and pardon me if my assumption is incorrect).

I'll do my best to put forth some sort of effort in sending an update this weekend now that I've re-established myself. Until then, good night.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Avalugg

-Completely new sprite!
-Shiny ice shading!

Sláinte!
Very nice on the new sprite my friend! I really have nothing to say though. As for Gallade, that makes a lot of sense, I felt the same way with Mega Sceptile as Treecko was my first pokemon ever. I only need a mega empoleon, then my life would be complete!
I am not worthy of standing within the presence of such grandéur... Never have I doubted your skills, but seeing Avalugg done in my head was a nightmare in it of itself. (But I guess that's what all people say before they put pen on paper and something comes up)

Unfortunately, no update from me... or since the last I've posted. I'm replying from my tablet, and decided to see what was going on since I had a free night while at my grandfather's place preparing to help him move to Vegas. Finding the free time to work on the things I like such as this during college for me is like trying to find a needle in a haystack -to a large extent-. Then again, I'd guess that, bar Cynical and TrainerSplash (of whom has shown some impressive dedication in my opinion), everyone has school to worry about (and pardon me if my assumption is incorrect).

I'll do my best to put forth some sort of effort in sending an update this weekend now that I've re-established myself. Until then, good night.
Yep it seems like we do all have school! However it seems like everyone has college while I have high school, I'm the only one working on this project that is 15 it seems. Which means I actually have more time. But I would like to thank you for noticing my dedication!

Edit: For those who don't know I might do a stream tomorrow, which ill be sprite back sprites for Mega Sharpedo and maybe a new mega Salamence. Might fix Pika Pop too.

Last edited:
Okay so just from looking, this is pretty freaking cool! What program are you guys using to make these sprites? I really want to start making them! :3

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Okay so just from looking, this is pretty freaking cool! What program are you guys using to make these sprites? I really want to start making them! :3
op said:
n_n

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

-New Pop from BW base and HGSS right arm
-Reworked PhD's tail
-Shortened Libre's ears because they were really big but now they're too small
-Enlarged Poke Ball on Libre's costume
-Stuff on Libre's tail
-Thinned Libre's arms
-Rounded the left side of Libre's head
-Reworked Belle's tail
-Added detail on Belle's hip decorations
-Normalized palettes on all but Belle to be the same as BW Pikachu

To do:
-Get all the tails looking the same
-Libre: round right side of head, lengthen ears
-Raise Pop's skirt and lengthen the underskirt
-Figure out Belle's palette
-Shading on PhD's sweater
-Backsprites (I can't find back references, does anyone have some?)

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form

-Reworked PhD's tail
-Stuff on Libre's tail
-Thinned Libre's arms
-Reworked Belle's tail

To do:
I'm fine with Rock, Popstar is okay I'm ify about it. Idk it just seems off but it's better than mine. Once I'm finished with mine we could use yours as the main sprite and mine as a rare animation I guess. Ph D. looks weird. we really need to fix this guy. I'll be honest, but I hate Dislike the new libre. the head looks really messed up. Remember guys he is flexing!! keep that in mind!! I also said before I was going to change all the tails to so that they matched, it's odd having them like this unless it's in a weird angle. PH D. has too small of arms and Popstar looks like it might be choking and that it's skirt is sliding off.

Don't get me wrong I love your edits (I really like the rockstar pikachu) and I think you did a good job at what was applied. I'm just worried about Belle, as it looks huge compared to the others. which is why I keep trying to make the others the same size as it. The Tails look odd as they just have a small dent nothing like it should be.

My original interpretations of these were supposed to be:
Libre: Flexing
Pop: Dancing
Rock: pretty much applied, rare would be peace sign or something.
Ph: Stand and push up glasses as a rare animation
I wasn't able to do these cause everyone took them even though I have been working on each and every one of them for awhile now *sigh*

Keep up the great work Frenzy I love how you are spriting these, it's just the clothes that make the pokemon look odd... I'm starting to see why these guys are ridiculous to make, can't believe we have to make these things. However I must note that I am still making MY VERSION of Pop. I've been wantign to do pop forever as it is one of my favorites next to libre x3
joking about that i hate the new libre please don't kill me. But i do like the other one better.
Edit: I have a back sprite for Libre and the others in the making. But since everyone kept making new sprites from what I have planned, I'll make more from what should be done.

Last edited:

-Reworked PhD's tail
-Stuff on Libre's tail
-Thinned Libre's arms
-Reworked Belle's tail

To do:
For back references, use this video, it has a decent shot of all of them except Belle.

As for the sprites themselves, I think the problem is, they're all exactly the same height in pixels, even where it doesn't make sense. Libre's ears go straight up, but have been squished to fit so the look stubby, while Belle's ears are flopped down and its been made much taller to compensate.
Also, Pop's dress should be slightly frillier (about arms length), Phd's glasses might look better if they were bigger, I think Libre's shoulders are too high and Belle isn't really looking at her foe.

Unless you've already started, I can do Rockstar's back, since I made the front one. I'll still want eventual payment of the game freak design team's souls though.

Edit:

There we go. The belt and collar should probably be visible from this angle, but I can't get them in without major readability issues.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say this: Over the past week, I've been working on a Mega Salamence sprite. Salamence is my #2 favorite Pokémon of all time, so I'm putting in my full effort to make it a good sprite.

Just a small heads-up: this post will be updated once the sprite is finished. I'll already warn that it will likely be too large, but I'll first wait for overall quality feedback, then resize it and edit the sprite according to the feedback received. The main problem is the wing, though, as Mega Salamence has a huge wingspan and it's virtually impossible to fully place it in when stretched out, so the wing will likely be in a flapped position in the main sprite, then go flat in the animation. I simply don't think its wings can be represented on an accurate scale in a 96x96 canvas and I really do not want Mega Salamence to have a minuscule sprite like Yveltal's.

Expect an update later today.

EDIT:

Here you already have the wingless base as a point of reference. I figured I'd post this one before making any further edits. I know I'll likely have to resize the sprite, but augh, fuck the 96x96 canvas. If we didn't have that restriction, we'd be capable of making much more detailed sprites. The huge wingspan's definitely calling for a resize, even with the flapped wing pose I have in mind.
Just tell me what you think of it so far! After enough feedback, I'll be editing the sprite accordingly. I want to make this my best sprite so far, hence why I'd appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Sayonara!

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I'm just gonna say this: Over the past week, I've been working on a Mega Salamence sprite. Salamence is my #2 favorite Pokémon of all time, so I'm putting in my full effort to make it a good sprite.

Just a small heads-up: this post will be updated once the sprite is finished. I'll already warn that it will likely be too large, but I'll first wait for overall quality feedback, then resize it and edit the sprite according to the feedback received. The main problem is the wing, though, as Mega Salamence has a huge wingspan and it's virtually impossible to fully place it in when stretched out, so the wing will likely be in a flapped position in the main sprite, then go flat in the animation. I simply don't think its wings can be represented on an accurate scale in a 96x96 canvas and I really do not want Mega Salamence to have a minuscule sprite like Yveltal's.

EDIT:

Here you already have the wingless base as a point of reference. I figured I'd post this one before making any further edits. I know I'll likely have to resize the sprite, but augh, fuck the 96x96 canvas. If we didn't have that restriction, we'd be capable of making much more detailed sprites. The huge wingspan's definitely calling for a resize, even with the flapped wing pose I have in mind.
Just tell me what you think of it so far! After enough feedback, I'll be editing the sprite accordingly. I want to make this my best sprite so far, hence why I'd appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Sayonara!
I like it, I think we cold make it work if done right. I totally forgot Mega Salamence has green eyes for some reason... It's better than what Cynical and I have made IMO, but I honestly think this dynamic of a pose would not work. the others sprites look nothing like this and I'm afraid on how it would not blend in with the others, see what I am saying? Use the idea of Princess' style square if you need reference on how it should look.

I can't believe this guys is so freaking huge. It's like Game Freak knows we are doing this and trying to prevent us from doing so.

I like it, I think we cold make it work if done right. I totally forgot Mega Salamence has green eyes for some reason... It's better than what Cynical and I have made IMO, but I honestly think this dynamic of a pose would not work. the others sprites look nothing like this and I'm afraid on how it would not blend in with the others, see what I am saying? Use the idea of Princess' style square if you need reference on how it should look.

I can't believe this guys is so freaking huge. It's like Game Freak knows we are doing this and trying to prevent us from doing so.
The pose really isn't that dynamic, though. It's kind of a front perspective based off of one of the screenshots from the trailer and honestly, it was one of the best available poses. The freaking wing, though. That's gonna be a pain in the ass. I'll be sure to give the style square look another go, on another note. I'll be revising the shading, then.
At least we can go for a 111x111 backsprite, because White Kyurem is a thing. Anything else about the size, like making the sprite a bit smaller? The limiting canvas is such a bitch, I swear.

EDIT:

Sayonara!
This sprite has, by far, one of the most dynamic poses of any Pokemon, and it's amazing. Your hard work definitely hasn't gone to waste. Even without the wing, Salamence looks like an absolute beast. That being said, I feel like the wingspan will be much more forgiving if you can somehow reduce Megalance's width into the 70's, as it's already pushing the 90's. I would also suggest to shrink his head down so that the proportions match up. If you can get Megalance to get to be, say, 73 pixels wide, then you'll probably be able to make the wingspan 96.

Perhaps it might also help you to create a wingspan that already fits in accordance with the proportions you already have, just so you have an idea of what looks right. For example, if you find that the wing looks unnatural unless it has a minimum of a 20 pixel difference from the body, then base your rescale off of that.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Yeah Mega Salamence is huge. It's going to be hard to figure it out. I guess the best to do right now is to finish the sprite in it's current position then apply the edits to make it work, in my opinion anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)