Metagame ORAS RU: Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
Amusing that (I think) all but 3 revealed megas so far have been RU legal lol

Agreeing that Lopunny won't get to RU after a month; HJK with attack that's not garbage and a speed tier that's not garbage is probably enough to make it viable in UU if not maybe banworthy, but idk on that.
Megasceptile will be good but I have no clue where it'll place tierwise. Although it has to mega evolve first, an immunity to volt switch is probably the most useful thing that it gains from doing so.
Maudino will be viable if it gets fairy STAB and attacking stats that aren't garbage. I wish it was mono-fairy like aromatisse but oh well; short of not checking lee anywhere near as well it's not inferior. A speed drop would facilitate making its stats not garbage, but even as little as 80 base SpA would probably be passable with moonblast / fire blast backing it up. Will probably end up in a situation very similar to aromatisse. One of the cool things about audino is that it's one of hte few megas with HP that isn't garbage, meaning that its defense boosts work on something that's already pretty sound.
Megallade will probably be UU; it's Mega Medicham but weaker.
Megarupt I don't know where it will end up, but if history has shown anything it's that speed drops correlate with shitty mons. Very sad that it doesn't get a slight speed boost as RP could boost it to respectable speeds. It gets nothing but Fire Blast and Earth Power to use; every possible special sheer force move it could ever want happens to be a TM which, unless they pull a BW2 tm fix or a Ninetales Energy Ball, means that it won't ever be getting goodies like Sludge Wave, Sludge Bomb, Psychic, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, etc. I'm most confident that this will end up RU but hey maybe it somehow gets UU?
Megapedo is probably not staying and Maltaria will also probably leave unless it gets absolutely garbage stats.

Megaudino / Megarupt / Mega Sceptile might go RU, the rest won't be in the tier.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm honestly hoping that they make Mega Sceptile a physical attacker. It has a much better physical movepool (with Crunch, Earthquake, Drain Punch, Iron Tail, and Rock Slide) compared to its Special one on top of Swords Dance, so it could make a decent cleaner. While this means it can't abuse Lightning Rod as well, it'll still be immune to Thunder Wave and can deal with Volt Switch abusers pretty decently.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I'm honestly hoping that they make Mega Sceptile a physical attacker. It has a much better physical movepool (with Crunch, Earthquake, Drain Punch, Iron Tail, and Rock Slide) compared to its Special one on top of Swords Dance, so it could make a decent cleaner. While this means it can't abuse Lightning Rod as well, it'll still be immune to Thunder Wave and can deal with Volt Switch abuses pretty decently.
That would be very cool, actually. Lucario has higher Special Attack than Attack in its regular form and higher Attack in its Mega form, so with that in consideration, it's not impossible for Sceptile!

As a side note, Mega Sceptile would be much, much better if it got U-turn. At least with good Attack, it could force a switch or two for a nice Swords Dance, but it could be risky assuming that its Mega Evolution retains its poor physical bulk.

I've been thinking about these megas for a while and what sets they would run/what roles they would fill and what tiers they would be in. So my personal favourite, mega lopunny (not a furry!) I think will be pretty OP for RU, and most probably moved up into UU. It has perfect normal type coverage (with scrappy+normal/fighting type STAB), a new addition to its move pool in High Jump Kick that cannot be blocked by ghosts, again because of scrappy, as well as great coverage with elemental punches.

The fact that this thing has scrappy and incredibly strong fighting stab in High Jump Kick forces something on the enemy team to have protect in whatever tier its in as a 5% chance to miss is not something you want to rely on when your team is being swept by a human size playboy rabbit . Protect is easily dealt with by Mega Lopunny however because it gets encore. Encoring the enemy into protect allows you to HJK when they aren't protecting and set up with a bulk up or substitute when it fails. Or you could just, you know, kill it whenever you want because your rumoured to have upwards of 110 attack and a Super-sonic (bad pun hue) speed stat, not much is going to stop it.

When If it moves up to UU, sableye will be a pretty good stop as a priotity will-o-wisp will pretty much shut down its sweep and force you out.

Thats my two cents probably repeating what all the other furrys Mega Lopunny fans have said but nevertheless i wanted to get it out. #RipSpiritomb2014

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I was going to mention that Sceptile has access to Swords Dance, both Outrage and Dragon Claw, as well as a solid Grass-type STAB in the form of Leaf Blade and coverage through Earthquake. If Game Freak decides to, they could make it a strong Physical Sweeper as well, and depending on its Speed Tier, it could single handely destroy some kinds of playstyles (Bulky Offense mostly)
Considering Sceptile's already good Speed tier (base 120 certainly isn't bad) this is a very distinct possibility. Even a small boost to Speed (like +10 to put it on par with Jolteon or +20 to put it on pace with Accelgor) would probably be enough, thus letting GF really focus on Sceptile's offensive stats, which are good but not amazing (Attack being fairly mediocre atm) Its also got enough of a special movepool to utilize with stuff like Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, and Giga Drain at its disposal.

Brophlosion, You can't use Life Orb (or any other item for that matter) on a Mega except for its Mega Stone.

m-lopunny won't be that threatening to defensive teams imo, it's far weaker than lee and stopped hard by weezing, gligar, amoong, granbull @ co. where it'll really shine is against offense. i kinda view it like greninja in ou; fast as hell and with extremely few switchins on offensive teams, but not that hard to counter for slower teams.

Karxrida

m-lopunny won't be that threatening to defensive teams imo, it's far weaker than lee and stopped hard by weezing, gligar, amoong, granbull @ co. where it'll really shine is against offense. i kinda view it like greninja in ou; fast as hell and with extremely few switchins on offensive teams, but not that hard to counter for slower teams.
We don't know Mega Lopunny's stats yet but GF might decide to dump 50+ points into Attack and make it stronger than Hitmonlee. There's also the fact that High Jump Kick is really spammable when Doublade can't switch in freely.

252 Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 132-156 (42.3 - 50%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Those mons you mentioned only need a bit of prior damage for Mega Lopunny to clean up (assuming a hypothetical Base Attack of 126 like in the calc above) since it has some coverage options like the Elemental Punches + Iron Tail, and it has some great support moves like Healing Wish, Encore, Thunder Wave, and freaking Magic Coat.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We don't know Mega Lopunny's stats yet but GF might decide to dump 50+ points into Attack and make it stronger than Hitmonlee. There's also the fact that High Jump Kick is really spammable when Doublade can't switch in freely.

252 Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 132-156 (42.3 - 50%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Those mons you mentioned only need a bit of prior damage for Mega Lopunny to clean up (assuming a hypothetical Base Attack of 126 like in the calc above) since it has some coverage options like the Elemental Punches + Iron Tail, and it has some great support moves like Healing Wish, Encore, Thunder Wave, and freaking Magic Coat.
Kind of a nitpick but even if Mega Lopunny got +50 Attack it still wouldn't be hitting as hard as Hitmonlee. A lot of the power from Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick comes from its ability reckless, and that's what makes it able to OHKO/2HKO pretty much everything that doesn't resist the move. for Lopunny to hit harder than Reckless LO Hitmonlee it'd have to gain an absolutely massive amount of Attack that not even the full +100 boost a mega evolution can give can manage

252+ Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 181-214 (44.9 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (176 Base Attack, Fighting-type).

252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 212-251 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Kind of a nitpick but even if Mega Lopunny got +50 Attack it still wouldn't be hitting as hard as Hitmonlee. A lot of the power from Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick comes from its ability reckless, and that's what makes it able to OHKO/2HKO pretty much everything that doesn't resist the move. for Lopunny to hit harder than Reckless LO Hitmonlee it'd have to gain an absolutely massive amount of Attack that not even the full +100 boost a mega evolution can give can manage

252+ Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 181-214 (44.9 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (176 Base Attack, Fighting-type).

252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 212-251 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This is true, but I think he was more talking about the fact that Mega Lopunny can actually spam High Jump Kick freely even if the opponent has a Ghost-type, whereas Hitmonlee cannot, which is a huge advantage despite the fact that its High Jump Kick is not as strong as that of Reckless Hitmonlee.

Also, Healing Wish is going to be super-important for Mega Lopunny. The ability to fully heal any teammate at a crucial point in the game is invaluable, especially for offensive teams that have less to fall back on in the instance of untimely hax-related occurrences or a wrong prediction. This is a great all-purpose assist maneuver for literally any situation where a teammate is important for the match but gets inconvenienced beyond help. Don't sacrifice it as fodder! Sacrifice Mega Lopunny if you really need your other Pokemon back in the fight to turn the game around!

Healing Wish also blocks Rapid Spin and Defog on the turn it's used, as these moves require a target to work, and the newly healed Pokemon comes in at the end of the turn.

Last edited:

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
While Encore + Healing Wish Mega Lopunny seems relatively easy to wall, a SubPass set would be effective because the things that are likely to switch into Mega Lopunny (Gligar, Aromatisse, Alomomola, Granbull if people start using that) tend to be lackluster offensively. Besides Alomomola, none of these can break the Substitutes if passed to Moltres, and LO Moltres can even muscle past AV Slowking once behind a Substitute. Golbat, the one Infiltrator user that can switch into Lopunny, is weak to SR so using Baton Pass as a no-damage U-turn purely for momentum with rocks up will wear it down quickly.

SubPass probably won't have as game-changing an effect as Healing Wish in Offense vs. Offense games, but it would be much more effective against balanced and stall. Lopunny's good STAB coverage and speed should allow it to perform well against HO even without Healing Wish, while SubPass would theoretically make it more well-rounded against all playstyles. If you're fine with Lopunny having only one STAB move, you could even use Healing Wish + SubPass.

Sample set (EVs and nature are obviously subject to change):

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber (Scrappy)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Return / Healing Wish

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is true, but I think he was more talking about the fact that Mega Lopunny can actually spam High Jump Kick freely even if the opponent has a Ghost-type, whereas Hitmonlee cannot, which is a huge advantage despite the fact that its High Jump Kick is not as strong as that of Reckless Hitmonlee.

Also, Healing Wish is going to be super-important for Mega Lopunny. The ability to fully heal any teammate at a crucial point in the game is invaluable, especially for offensive teams that have less to fall back on in the instance of untimely hax-related occurrences or a wrong prediction. This is a great all-purpose assist maneuver for literally any situation where a teammate is important for the match but gets inconvenienced beyond help. Don't sacrifice it as fodder! Sacrifice Mega Lopunny if you really need your other Pokemon back in the fight to turn the game around!

Healing Wish also blocks Rapid Spin and Defog on the turn it's used, as these moves require a target to work, and the newly healed Pokemon comes in at the end of the turn.
Ah i see

Yeah as i mentioned in my earlier post Healing Wish is gonna be really kickass on Lopunny. What's basically giving one of its teammates a second life while still being a threatening Pokemon otherwise is one of the best things an offensive team could possibly ask for. I didn't even remember it blocked Rapid Spin or Defog for that one turn, but that's really useful! (although i really should have given i use Final Gambit Accelgor all the time and that's a very similar move x__x).

SlottedPig Subpass Mega Lopunny actually seems nice given how many switches it could force, i think it'll probably see some good use tbh (i just wish it had Leftovers recovery :()

I also agree that Sceptile getting an Attack boost would be really nice. It's physical movepool is actually pretty solid given it has all the coverage it could ask for and two *very* good STAB moves to work with in Leaf Blade and Outrage. A small boost to Sceptile's base attack would probably make this route more than viable happy dino+mega sceptile core y/n.

Lopunny has decent enough bulk already, and will probably have great speed, so I imagine it will end up as a decent check to a range of mons in whatever tier it lands in- like Aerodactyl in UU.

also sub flail y/y????? Will definitely be a very versatile mon.

• Mega Sharpedo is looking like a solid top-tier RU threat. A set of Crunch/Ice Fang/Aqua Jet|Protect/Earthquake|Protect will likely be standard and it will probably either have a stat spread of 70/160/50/115/50/115 or 70/150/50/115/50/115. The former spread with probably have to run Jolly all the time while latter might be able to switch between Jolly and Adamant depending on what it wants to do. Little can take a hit from Mega Sharpedo in RU, the only real options being defensive Tangrowth, Alomamola, Mega Audino and Aromatisse, but it is very frail, meaning that priority from something like Hitmonlee would be bad for it. This is why Aqua Jet is so important for it, as it does about half to Hitmonlee and can get past Fletchinder and other priority mons. I think it will probably stay in RU, though it has a chance of getting enough usage in UU.
  • Mega Camerupt looks really solid for bulky offense. A stat spread of 70/130/100/135/105/20 seems reasonable based on what we know. Slowking will be a reliable wall 100% of the time (okay, you can run some attack investment with Earthquake, but...) and it will even outspeed Mega Camerupt, assuming that it actually does have base 20 speed. However, it 2HKOes all variants of Aromatisse, Mola and basically every other wall in the game. The speed holds it back though, as it is outsped by pretty much everything in RU, meaning that Mola can get a Scald off and do over half to Camerupt before he finishes the fish off. Viable sets I see are Stealth Rock + Fire Blast/Earth Power/Rock Slide, RestTalk + Fire Blast + Earth Power, and SubToxic + Fire Blast + Earth Power.
  • Mega Sceptile is the Mega Evolution I am most excited for as a whole, but that's just because I like Sceptile a lot more than anything. It is probably one of the only Megas that I can't really predict an accurate stat spread for, but just in what we already know about its typing, movepool and ability, it's going to be good. Sceptile doesn't even have to use its Grass STAB for every set anymore thanks to that secondary Dragon STAB and Dragon Pulse + HP Fire + Focus Blast has perfect coverage amongst all tiers. Obviously, this causes some Fairy struggles, so carrying Leaf Storm or Energy Ball will definitely be helpful, or even mandatory, in RU at least. With 145 Sp. Atk and a Modest nature, it 2HKOs defensive Aromatisse after Stealth Rock, but other Aromatisse variants will win, especially when Protect is factored in. In addition to 4 Attacks and Sub + 3 Attacks Mega Sceptile, SubSeed might also be more viable with Dragon Pulse (Amoonguss completely walls that, however). Finally, even with a +20 Attack boost, Swords Dance might also be very viable for it. It can choose between Outrage and Dragon Claw for Dragon STAB and can pair it up with Drain Punch/Iron Tail, Crunch/Iron Tail, Earthquake/Crunch, or Earthquake/Leaf Blade for nice results. Stat spread predictions: 70/105/75/145/95/140, 70/105/65/155/85/150, 70/105/65/145/105/140, 70/115/65/145/85/140
  • Mega Altaria's future is looking real fine. IMO, it's probably going to be the first or one of the first Megas to leave RU. Predicting a stat spread of 75/100/110/100/125/80 or maybe 75/110/100/110/115/80. On the physical side, it can either do Dragon Dance or Roost + Toxic + Fairy STAB + EQ. Dragon Dance will probably get this banned from RU or at least be really strong, as the coverage from Pixilate STAB-boosted Return and EQ is so good. Depending on whether the set is more offensively inclined or bulky, either Outrage/Dragon Claw, Cotton Guard, or Roost can be used as a supplement to break through certain walls, protect against priority or increase longevity respectively. Levitate Bronzong, defensive Cresselia and Gligar are the only true answer to Dragon Dance Altaria, as Weezing, Golbat and Amoonguss are 2HKOed by Outrage assuming 100 base attack and Tangrowth and Aromatisse are 2HKOed by Return. The Roost + Toxic physical set can break through most of the metagame aside from the poison types mentioned above and Levitate Bronzong and will both hit fairly hard with Return and be quite bulky with a good typing. On the special side, Mega Altaria can wallbreak with Roost + 3 Attacks, do Roost + Toxic + Hyper Voice/Fire Blast, or even play cleric with Roost + Heal Bell + 2 Attacks (thinking about it, physical can do this too). Roost + 3 Attacks can use Dragon Pulse to hit certain Fire types and Poison types alongside the Fairy/Fire coverage (HP Rock can also work, but with the 100 Sp. Atk spread, it is too weak).
  • Mega Lopunny is going to be great; another Mega I don't see staying RU. Perfect coverage with STAB Normal + Fighting moves is fantastic and well-complemented by good coverage moves and support moves. Ice Punch will take care of Gligar and Return and High Jump Kick cover everything else thanks to their high BP with STAB. Healing Wish, Fake Out, Power-up Punch, Encore, Heal Bell, Quick Attack and Drain Punch are all worthy 4th moveslots for it. I think at stat spread for it might be 65/116/94/64/106/135.
  • Mega Gallade looks fabulous first of all. Inner Focus does little for it in Singles, but stat boosts may be all it needs to succeed in RU. With a stat spread of 68/165/65/85/125/100 (or 68/165/65/85/115/110 since the site emphasizes Attack and Speed boosts), Swords Dance and Bulk Up + Drain Punch both look like promising sets. Mega Gallade will probably play like a slightly better normal Gallade.
  • Mega Audino: bulky, stally, immortal...

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I think the most simple way to go with Mega Lopunny is with something like this:

Lopunny @ Lopunny Mega Stone
Ability: Limber ---> Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

Healing Wish + 3 Attacks is probably the best way to go with this thing tbh. I think people forgot Lopunny learned Ice Punch; otherwise, they wouldn't be saying Gligar is a counter or anything lol. Between these three moves, only the strongest physical walls in RU can take it on, and most can be worn down too. So basically, the premise is simple: batter everything into oblivion and if Lopunny gets burned or isn't needed anymore in favor of another teammate, then use Healing wish. I think Fake Out could work over Ice Punch if one's team isn't afraid of Gligar, although how much Speed Lopunny is given is what will make or break this option. I wouldn't be surprised if Lopunny's Speed was 150 or something or at least 145 for Accelgor. If that is the case, this could work as a very solid anti-lead against entry hazard stackers/setters such as Omastar, Accelgor, and Kricketune by breaking the sash and Mega Evolving first turn, then KOing the intended targets the next. If Lopunny's Speed does turn out to be in the 150s or even in the mid-to-upper 140s, then it can easily run Adamant if one does not care for Accelgor. Either way, I do like the parallels being drawn with Mega Lopunny in RU and Mega Aerodactyl in UU. Both seem to be designed the same way and will likely be analogous as extremely fast and powerful offensive powerhouses with good support movepools.
Yea, this is legit. The only thing I see even checking this in RU is physically defensive Aromatisse, and with the only potential counter being Intimidate Qwilfish. It also gets Thunder Wave and can alternatively pass Cosmic Power boosts; Lopunny in its original form isn't even frail to be honest and is definitely fast enough to pull it off.

A lot of people seemed worried about Mega Lopunny's recovery, and, depending on how large of an increase its Attack gets, people might actually run Drain Punch to help out with that. I could definitely see that on a SubPass set.

The only ones I see havin a shot in RU are Camerupt, Altaria, nd Audino. Sharpedo nd Lopunny I really think are going to be at least in BL2, and Audino was clearly meant for doubles. Mega Altaria probably has the best shot at being a solid mon in RU, followed closely by Camerupt. Can't wait to use Sceptile in RU tho cuz while it's here it gon wreck shit

Mega Lopunny is going to actually be pretty good. I dont see it staying in RU, as its STABs alone have perfect coverage, Hi Jump Kick is no longer screwed by Ghosts switching in, and HJK and Return are both pretty good moves. It can also pivot out with Baton Pass, possibly passing something like a Sub. In addition to its STABs, it can run a very good variety of attacks such as Focus Punch, the elemental punches, and Fake Out for some nice priority. Healing Wish and Encore are great support moves when used properly. Mega Lopunny can take somethhing down, and Healing Wish when they go into a check for great momentum and a way to revive something that would otherwise be death fodder. Mega Sharpedo is going to love having Speed Boost before it Mega Evolves and then outspeed most things but have Strong Jaws for useful coverage and a very powerful Crunch. Altaria is going to most likely be used in all out special attacker or Dragon Dance sets, which will most likely have completely different counters and will be dangerous to switch into. Mega Sceptile could have had a better ability, but Lightning Rod makes your opponent think twice before they start spamming T-Wave. It will also be a great revenge killer, with Speed already above all but the fastest pokemon. Mega Camerupt I dont see making a huge impact due to the presence of Slowking, bad defensive typing and a simply terrible Speed (was 40 and will be lower). Mega Audino may be the first mega evolution to receive the "honor" of being usuable in NU, but the ability is completely worthless in Singles and lack of Lefties and Regenerator will be noticable. Mega Gallade's better speed will might allow for Swords Dance sweeps even if Inner Focus is pretty bad.

Karxrida

I completely derped about Reckless, but not getting screwed over by Doublade or Spiritomb are huge perks. The lack of Megas in RU right now also means it doesn't really have much competition for a Mega Slot so the opportunity cost isn't a big issue.

Mega Sharpedo is probably gonna be banned 20 minutes after it is released just because it is so fucking strong. it is gonna get an increase in all it's stats meaning that it won't lose speed or attack or anything dumb. Also it could use Protect turn 1 in it's normal form to gain a Speed Boost and then reck the opposing team with it's Strong Jaw boosted Crunch. For things that might wall Sharpedo the list isn't very long. There is like the new Mega Altaria and that is end list aside from a few checks like Hitmonlee. Also if this thing gets new elemental fangs like Thunder Fang and Fire Fang which could happen it will even be more difficult to counter. Calling this things brokenness right now.

Mega Camperupt probably isn't going to be that. Surely it will be strong and similar to Mega Abomasnow with Counters being limited to Slowking pretty much. However Moltres does literally the same thing with more speed, reliable recovery and without taking up a mega slot. Electric immunity and possibly higher bulk with a slightly more coverage may be cool niches but I still don't think it's gonna be better than Moltres.

Mega Sceptile will probably retain it's BW RU glory with his new mega evolution. I can't say much about it's stats but it will probably get an increase to both attacking stats along with Choice Scarf Ninjask level of speed. Anyways this thing is probably going to be pretty difficult to defeat for stall without using more niche Pokemon like Togetic. It will probably also fare nicely against offense as an electric check with Lightningrod, it has to mega evolve though before being able to switch into Electric attacks with ease though. Wheter it will be broken or not we will see but for the being it will definetly be very strong.

Mega Altaria I don't care because I don't like Altaria and it looks dumb.

Mega Lopunny seems like a better Kangaskhan. Both Normal types ( in mega Lopunny's case also Fighting ) with reasonable attack, decent speed, good movepool and most importantly Scrappy. However if Gamefreak isn't screwing this up Lopunny will probably have a high speed with quite a decent attack stat. As for counters Cofagrigus could probably take a hit and ruin it's ability and then proceed to do standard spooky burn stuff. Not sure how good Mega Lopunny is going to be but definetly a high tier threat.

Mega Gallade seems kind of dumb to me. Like sure it is going to get a good boost to it's stats but nothing that normal Gallade with an item can't do. I can't really say much about this one other than it's like normal Gallade that takes up a mega slot. Whatever though it could also get a huge boost to it's attack and a good speed boost and then it might be broken who knows.

Mega Audino is probably going to suck. If they gave it Regenerator as it's ability instead it could have been great but trollfreak. Whatever at least it looks like the medic from Team Fortress 2 which is cool.

That is what I think about the mega evolutions. Stall is probably going to have a more difficult time with new wallbreakers like Mega Sharpedo.

I dont think Audino will suck at all, at the end of the day it's going to be ridiculously bulky and will have a great typing- even without regenerator it'll be a good cleric and general wall. And its not exactly like stall teams will really be needing that mega slot for anything else.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I dont think Audino will suck at all, at the end of the day it's going to be ridiculously bulky and will have a great typing- even without regenerator it'll be a good cleric and general wall. And its not exactly like stall teams will really be needing that mega slot for anything else.
Regenerator helps to pass wishes, not to mention without leftovers if you throw a toxic or even a burn that damage will rack up incredibly fast. I think its going to be like Licky is atm, a good mon once its in, but switching it in and not getting 2HKOd is going to be difficult. Will be a good Knock Off absorber though.

I really can't see Gallade, Sharpedo, Altaria or Sceptile for the very least to stay in RU with their new forms.

Gallade
Considering that it gets a similar boost to Gardevoir like 100 base speed and 165 atk, access to priority, Swords Dance and additional bulk...well, you can imaging the rest for yourselves. It might be not as threatening but that isn't the point. Don't forget a possible Justified-Boost by switching into Knock-Off and such.

Sharpedo
Sharpedo is already really high ranked Pokemon in the viability ranking thread. After 1 Speed Boost, which is usually more than enough, you can pretty much go for a sweep by Mega Evolting to Mega Sharpedo. The problem was with Sharpedo, that it does not have the bulk or access to boosting moves for its offenses but Mega Sharpedo makes up for that with Huge Jaws and most likely better bulk.

Altaria
Altaria seems to have everything granted to become a very reliable choice for an OU Team thanks to its typing and ability. It pretty much shuts down both MegaZards.

Sceptile
High Speed and Dragon Typing. There is not much too say about it. Depending how significant any of its attack stats are going to rise, there are multiple choices to go possibly go for. I am keep thinking how well it can take advantage of Lightning Rode considering that all Electric-Types usually carry HP Ice.

So that leaves Audino which will stay depending how significant the boost on its defenses might be and we know its ability sucks, Camerupt which loses on Solid Rock and without a significant boost to its defenses it will rely on Trick Room Teams to do well and Loppuny which got Hi Jump Kick, Fighting Typing and Scrappy which are pretty useful against the large amount of Ghost Types in the tier. At most it will be BL because OU has so far, as I can see, only 1 Ghost Type that sees any play and UU got 2 or 3 from which 1 might be common at all to the point where you might as well use another Fighting Type.

But who knows, maybe Sceptile will suck and Camerupt will be Uber.

I don't actually play RU, but I feel like Mega Altaria will be best ran as a mixed attacker or dragon dance set. I haven't seen anybody else post anything resembling a mixed set yet (I could have just skipped it by accident), but what I was thinking was

Altaria @ Mega Stone
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 216 SpA / 40 Spe (EVs probably due to change once the stats get released, this is just something I came up with to speedcreep certain walls and get maximum damage)
Lonely Nature (Could run +Atk -SpD, +SpA -Def, +SpA -SpD, etc., whatever you wanted really.)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

This set hits all monotypes for at least neutral and I cant think of any pokemon that completely wall this set without being incredibly niche (do note this is taking OU into mind, not RU, I only play OU, UU, and NU, so I have no clue what walls what in RU)

I don't actually play RU, but I feel like Mega Altaria will be best ran as a mixed attacker or dragon dance set. I haven't seen anybody else post anything resembling a mixed set yet (I could have just skipped it by accident), but what I was thinking was

Altaria @ Mega Stone
EVs: 252 Atk / 216 SpA / 40 Spe (EVs probably due to change once the stats get released, this is just something I came up with to speedcreep certain walls and get maximum damage)
Lonely Nature (Could run +Atk -SpD, +SpA -Def, +SpA -SpD, etc., whatever you wanted really.)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

This set hits all monotypes for at least neutral and I cant think of any pokemon that completely wall this set without being incredibly niche (do note this is taking OU into mind, not RU, I only play OU, UU, and NU, so I have no clue what walls what in RU)
Mega Altaria's Attack and Sp. Atk will probably be a bit too low to mix them, considering that they will be around 110-100 and won't be item boosted. Running 4 Attacks on a bulky Pokemon with average speed seems like a bad idea IMO. Adding Roost somewhere would greatly benefit it along with HP investment.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Altaria @ Mega Stone
- Return
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

Odds are, Mega Altaria will get a serious boost in offense. However, even with a +35 boost (as I mentioned in my earlier post as a possibility) it ends up at 105 / 105 offenses. While those are definitely an improvement, I still don't feel it's enough to go mixed. Reason I say that is that Lucario, a Pokemon with 110 / 115 offenses has never been able to viably go mixed because it's really hard to spread the EVs and maintain optimal damage output. The best mixed attackers generally heavily favor one side of the spectrum with their stats (think Salamence and Dragonite) have well placed STABs to hit walls on their weaker defense stats (Infernape and DPP Blaziken come to mind) or just have a movepool that favors one side more than the other (Victini and Rayquaza) What's also important is that Mega Altaria won't be able to use Life Orb to somewhat make up for the split EVs with a mixed set for obvious reasons. Lastly, Mega Altaria will still have solid bulk and an amazing defensive typing, meaning it will want to find a way to use Roost on most, if not all, sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)