Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
damn lee how did you work up to this?
i've had some niggling pain in my left leg (read: my 'good' leg) this year and attributed it to tight hip flexors. I made a point of stretching them more, most specifically with a standard hip flexor stretch off a medicine ball. After a few months I realised I could do the shit in that photo. Leg still niggles though...typical!

Bonus pic:

Sun's out, guns out.

edit: it's hot out, quads out.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
i've had some niggling pain in my left leg (read: my 'good' leg) this year and attributed it to tight hip flexors. I made a point of stretching them more, most specifically with a standard hip flexor stretch off a medicine ball. After a few months I realised I could do the shit in that photo. Leg still niggles though...typical!

Bonus pic:

Sun's out, guns out.

I have fucked hip flexors. Could you give me a stretching routine to improve them?

Lee

@ Thick Club
the protocol i used to treat the problem (which i self-diagnosed as 'tight hip flexors causing hamstring weakness') was this, once a day.

- hip flexor stretch with the rear leg on a fit ball to promote balance/stability gains
- resistance band knee raises
- resistance band heel-to-bottom
- single-legged deadlifts

and see a sports masseus.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not as hardcore as some of you but I've lost 25 lbs since school ended, well in the first month I wasn't doing much at all, just trying to get work and not feel like I'm useless. Figured out I had a lot of spare time and that was always my excuse. A friend of mine said I always looked fine, but screw that I look and feel so much better. Having to go and buy a new belt and fitting into jeans I had in elementary/high school is some crazy stuff. All in all it's surprising what sort of self-confidence I gained from cutting down (not that I ever lacked it but it grows in abundance now).

Bonus pic:

Sun's out, guns out.

Look at that stick behind you.

Anyway, now that I'm starting college, I'm beginning a routine of lap swimming and weight lifting/calisthenics. Personally, I'm not about the "Get Huge Muscles. Look $w@gg" kind of lifting since I personally feel there is no purpose behind that. I lift only to get strong and could care any less about looking "swollen". This is just coming from a natural athlete who never did sports until high school :( .

Lee

@ Thick Club
you claim to not be 'like that' yet you poke fun at a long distance runner for being slim?

in this day and age when every other vanity-driven douchebag has a gym membership and a tub of protein, muscle has long since stopped being an indicator of athleticism.

i'm reminded of a quote from the excellent 'Feet in the Clouds,' which should be compulsory reading for any runners reading this:

'...if i could convert my body by means of a magic trick into the physique of any kind of elite athlete, I wouldn't choose the gymnast's chiselled perfection, certainly not the mahogany pnuematics of a bodybuilder or a weightlifter and not even the honed sinews of the rower. No, I'd want the body of a fell- runner and more than that, I'd want the mind of a fell-runner too because, as we find out early on, anybody can be fit; it's being hard that's hard.'

you claim to not be 'like that' yet you poke fun at a long distance runner for being slim?

in this day and age when every other vanity-driven douchebag has a gym membership and a tub of protein, muscle has long since stopped being an indicator of athleticism.
Your spot on with this statement. It's been a while since i've posted here but I actually observed this a few weeks back when I did my 14km run with some friends. I've always hovered between lean/slightly over as I find i lose focus/discipline but by no means 'unhealthy'. Whereas one of my friends has been as ripped as an olympic lifter however, when we did the run I had like 32minutes on his time :P His athletic fitness was near non-existent compared to others that did it.

Right now, i've dropped back some of my running and been doing a lot of bodyweight/cardio stuff for something a bit different. I've got about 250 days until my half marathon and my first triathlon (semi-serious event, going in a corporate team). My goal for this summer is to tone up a bit and work on my size and all whilst retaining my athletic fitness.

I got very close to my goal last summer, and carried it through winter except having to go in for some jaw surgery (wisdom teeth extraction...about 14years later than I should have) meant no weights for some time and the recovery was much worse than anticipated.

Layell -- great work! Just don't get complacent -- it's quite easy for the losses to sneak back up on you! Keep it up!

Reactions: Lee

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So I've been doing 5km rows for the last few weeks followed by a 10km bike ride (cause by that point I've got nothing left). I've lost a lot of the chub I started putting on already and my endurance is a bit better. Is starting weights/squats the only way I am going to be able to generate more power? I currently use a C2 rowing machine at setting 6 and averaging around 20:45 for the 5km. Best is about 20:38.

Is power the only way to get faster now? My shoulders have gotten a lot stronger since I started (significantly so) and I'm actually starting to "bulk" a bit just from what I am doing. Nothing huge, but just starting to tone up a bit I guess. I am going to start doing crunches/improving my core this week too and see how we go from there.

So I've been doing 5km rows for the last few weeks followed by a 10km bike ride (cause by that point I've got nothing left). I've lost a lot of the chub I started putting on already and my endurance is a bit better. Is starting weights/squats the only way I am going to be able to generate more power? I currently use a C2 rowing machine at setting 6 and averaging around 20:45 for the 5km. Best is about 20:38.

Is power the only way to get faster now? My shoulders have gotten a lot stronger since I started (significantly so) and I'm actually starting to "bulk" a bit just from what I am doing. Nothing huge, but just starting to tone up a bit I guess. I am going to start doing crunches/improving my core this week too and see how we go from there.
Great job on getting close to 20, I've always found sub 20:00 is a mental game. Gotta be focused enough, and with everything -- eat properly in the lead up. I've found its a fine line between eating enough for sufficient 'fuel' to sustain you and over-eating. Nowadays I try to gym on set days and ensure that eat around that -- i.e. complex carbohydrates in the lead up to a lot of cardio stuff, higher protein food (not really in to the whole shake thing beyond it's use as a supplement) after weights. Also, some extra fruit -- I don't have any glucose issue no family history either) however I find if I have a banana straight after or a piece of fruit or two about 2-3hrs after exercising, or even some greek yogurt with berries I don't end up reaching for high-sugar stuff later in the day.

Back to your question about strength/power. Rowing is probably my favourite form of cardio, second to running. I've found doing regular rows of a long distance will naturally increase your strength, however; to improve my times I noticed the following had a great impact:

• Fuelling myself via food correctly
  • Weight/strength training; upper AND lower body. Think of your staples: Bench/Squats/Deadlifts/Barbell-Dumbell stuff. You will definitely notice an increase in muscle with enough training and also strength.
  • Interval training! Running/Rowing/Cycling will help complement your overall fitness. I do different intervals on different equipment. Treadmill is short bursts (17km/hr, 3% incline - 45seconds on, 15 off) and repeat for a total of 20 minutes. With the rower, do 250m sprints with about 1min rest in between.
Best of luck and great work!

P.S: Start the weight training!

don't really post here much, but figured you guys probably know a lot more than i do about this kinda stuff

i've been in a real slump for the past couple years or so in regards to exercise and being in shape, and been feeling kinda shitty about myself for it. i'm certainly not overweight or anything, but i feel like i'm going down that route in the future and i want to do something about it. i used to be really active, and competed in sprinting events regularly but that faded out after time. when involved in intense physical activity now, i get tired really quickly and just seem to have a real lack of stamina. it's even worse being able to do the things you used to before so easily, and knowing you're on the decline

the reason this is so pressing is because i recently started a new job, which is really physically demanding and requires me to be on my feet lifting and moving shit for hours at a time. i get tired after around 30-45 minutes, and feel like i'm running on empty for the rest of the day. when i finish work i'm aching and just want to sleep and working out is the last thing i feel like doing. the only real free time i get is on the weekends, but i want to do something about this. i've no idea what exercises help your endurance

what's the best/easiest/simplest way to start a change?? no idea what i'm doing lol

Last edited:
what's the best/easiest/simplest way to start a change?? no idea what i'm doing lol
Are you getting enough sleep? That could be a reason why you're getting tired quickly. Try to get in around 8 hours of quality sleep every night and you will definitely feel better.

Consider increasing your calorie intake as well as your caffeine consumption.

Lee

@ Thick Club

thought it was time for a leg selfie, those are rolled up shorts, not some kinda weird wrestling trunks.

i don't squat/deadlift or eat particularly well...i just try to run or cycle every day. consistency is everything, even a small commitment once a day will pay huge dividends in time.

don't really post here much, but figured you guys probably know a lot more than i do about this kinda stuff

[1]i've been in a real slump for the past couple years or so in regards to exercise and being in shape, and been feeling kinda shitty about myself for it. i'm certainly not overweight or anything, but i feel like i'm going down that route in the future and i want to do something about it. i used to be really active, and competed in sprinting events regularly but that faded out after time. when involved in intense physical activity now, [2]i get tired really quickly and just seem to have a real lack of stamina. it's even worse being able to do the things you used to before so easily, and knowing you're on the decline

[3]the reason this is so pressing is because i recently started a new job, which is really physically demanding and requires me to be on my feet lifting and moving shit for hours at a time. i get tired after around 30-45 minutes, and feel like i'm running on empty for the rest of the day. when i finish work i'm aching and just want to sleep and working out is the last thing i feel like doing. [4]the only real free time i get is on the weekends, but i want to do something about this. i've no idea what exercises help your endurance

Hey mate,

I've broken it up and numbered some of your points, given I can't for the life of me, work how to complete the quoting features to include multiple quotes.

With regards to [1] a lot of people go through this, or can relate to changes in circumstances impacting their health, activity/sport and subsequently, some of the less-obvious changes to their health until we notice a substantial change in size, weight, etc. I've been there, over the past year I've worked tremendously hard to cut down my weight, eliminate poor eating habits, become more active and maintain a high level of fitness and strength. Given I don't do team sports, predominately running, it's important not to lose sight of your cardiac fitness/ability. The hardest part is identifying that you've let yourself go/become inactive, etc.

For [2] placing any medical/health reasons aside, this isn't something that's too hard to fix. I've found that my stamina/endurance increased the more I stretched myself, your body builds up a tolerance and then lift it again. To overcome this myself, I found running/rowing/swimming did the trick -- due to the long hours I work, I am fairly limited to gym-based exercise due to light. Just switch it up, short distance sprints of anything from 2-5km, intervals of 100-250m sprints as fast as you can, 30 second break. Rinse and repeat. Long distance -- may sound obscene but 15-20km jog/run. Again, I'm no accredited fitness trainer or anything, however I love the rower, set it to a decent level of resistance (4-7) and do intervals or long distance.

(DHR-107 is trying to catch me on my best for 5km, but
if he'll beat me just yet.)

[3] Given the demanding nature of your role, i'd strongly suggest look in to some weights training to help give you a little more power to lift/move everything more easily -- although, I daresay you'll start to notice it improving over time, anyway. Moreso, as Nosferalto said, spend some time to review your sleep/eating/hydration routine and intake. Sleep should be > 8hrs to ensure you are rested up, water I try and go with 30mL per KG of weight. It's hard at first but you get used to it.

Food, is crucial, so it's a whole other issue altogether. Grab a cheap fitness watch, wear it for a day to get an idea of the calories you're burning, i'd recommend an app like MyFitnessPal to give you a baseline on what you should be eating. Run through a typical days worth of food, then off-set with the calories you burnt at work. Typically, go for some complex carbs, protein and even some fruit -- you don't need to make a science of your daily eating if you don't want to, but theres plenty of benefit in doing so.

[4] I hear ya -- however, if you don't take some time, how can you possibly have any? I do my core work of a morning pre-work (Caynax a6w app), some side body twists with a medicine ball, lunges, etc. Nothing too strenuous, but enough to warm up and get moving early in the morning. Some evenings i'll watch tv and use a foam roller to keep all my muscles loose (especially legs, after deadlifts/squats, theres nothing better!)

Hope this helps -- let us all know how you go! Sometimes sharing your goals/challenges and talking about them, helps you keep on top!

Peace out

Mike

I guess I'm part of fitness crew. About two years ago I weighed almost 280. I got in shape at the gym and with some morning jogs mixed in. Now I'm hovering around 200lbs and 15% bf.

Lowest bf% was around 10% but I remembered I loved beer too much to abstain forever haha

Reactions: tml

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
back in to the gym and back into rugby again after a summer of slacking. anyone got any good recovery tips because i am literally a walking ball of pain right now?

Lee

@ Thick Club
Just keep plodding away shade, high protein intake obviously and I sometimes take glutamine capsules after particularly hard sessions? They're said to help recovery and they seem to do okay for me, could be placebo though? Cheap enough at Holland and Barrett that you may as well try 'em though.

Getting quiet in here, so just a friendly pick-me-up with one of my favourite quotes:

'Medals are won in the winter, but collected in the summer.'

I love training through the winter and seeing virtually nobody and then shaking my head when I repeat the same routes in the summer and see hundreds of runners. Casuals. They then have the audacity to look surprised when I blast past them without breaking a sweat. Don't be one of them. At this time of year your body just wants to sit in front of the fire and store fat; ignore the hibernation instinct and you'll have a head-start on everybody else when summer rolls back 'round.

I got out today and ignored weather warnings to run 2,300 feet up a mountain in a storm. There's something invigorating about letting mother nature kick the shit out of you for 90 minutes knowing that if you stop moving forward you'll run a very real risk of literally dying (or even worse (!), having to call the emergency services and beg them to come save you). My Garmin data is here for anybody interested in that sort of thing: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/615811144

How's everybody else getting on, let's hear some updates.

I love training through the winter and seeing virtually nobody and then shaking my head when I repeat the same routes in the summer and see hundreds of runners. Casuals. They then have the audacity to look surprised when I blast past them without breaking a sweat. Don't be one of them. At this time of year your body just wants to sit in front of the fire and store fat; ignore the hibernation instinct and you'll have a head-start on everybody else when summer rolls back 'round.

I got out today and ignored weather warnings to run 2,300 feet up a mountain in a storm. There's something invigorating about letting mother nature kick the shit out of you for 90 minutes knowing that if you stop moving forward you'll run a very real risk of literally dying (or even worse (!), having to call the emergency services and beg them to come save you). My Garmin data is here for anybody interested in that sort of thing: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/615811144

How's everybody else getting on, let's hear some updates.
Agree with you there about being focused for the whole year, just leaving Winter here, everyone comes out of the woodwork in spring for Summer. It is a little frustrating but I guess if thats what they wanna do. I'll be honest, I slack off/hibernate a little over the winter but this year was much better than the last.

I'm doing measurements/refocus plan after my PT today, I don't have them to learn technique and all but moreso to push myself under some heavy strength stuff and more importantly -- nutrition, etc.

I've been trying to talk some friends in to trying out/joining a rowing club so they haven't been that keen so far, so I may consider looking in to it myself. Ultimately, I'm not really into team-sports however I love running/cycling and strength work at the gym -- it reduces stress and I like to see the changes you can make to your body with eating well, exercise, etc.

I've been good recently with lowering body-fat and I was kind of in that "skinny-fat" category for a long period over the past years, not visibly fat but not toned or strong either. I've made a lot of progress and now over the next few months, I really wanna focus on further developing my strength and fitness levels and also drop bodyfat %. Ultimately, I want to work towards a great physique/body for the confidence, etc but really don't wanna be one of these fit/ripped people with no athletic/cardio ability at all... whats the point?

That's it for me really -- been plodding along and really stepping up for some strong goals over the next 4 months. I've been experimenting with a lot of healthy food alternatives/meals over the past week which has been cool.

What is everyones eating habits -- ie. what sort of eating plans to people lean towards?
Personally, I am very negative of diets/approaches that demonise specific food groups (i.e sugar). I like the principles of the paelo approach and for the most part, structure the food I consume around this system. Some parts I disregard, like consuming dairy, however, I don't think you can go too wrong cutting out packaged foods or those loaded with artificial defunct ingredients.

Stallion -- IIRC, weren't you competing in Sept/Oct? How did it go and did you make the progress you wanted to?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Agree with you there about being focused for the whole year, just leaving Winter here, everyone comes out of the woodwork in spring for Summer. It is a little frustrating but I guess if thats what they wanna do. I'll be honest, I slack off/hibernate a little over the winter but this year was much better than the last.

I'm doing measurements/refocus plan after my PT today, I don't have them to learn technique and all but moreso to push myself under some heavy strength stuff and more importantly -- nutrition, etc.

I've been trying to talk some friends in to trying out/joining a rowing club so they haven't been that keen so far, so I may consider looking in to it myself. Ultimately, I'm not really into team-sports however I love running/cycling and strength work at the gym -- it reduces stress and I like to see the changes you can make to your body with eating well, exercise, etc.

I've been good recently with lowering body-fat and I was kind of in that "skinny-fat" category for a long period over the past years, not visibly fat but not toned or strong either. I've made a lot of progress and now over the next few months, I really wanna focus on further developing my strength and fitness levels and also drop bodyfat %. Ultimately, I want to work towards a great physique/body for the confidence, etc but really don't wanna be one of these fit/ripped people with no athletic/cardio ability at all... whats the point?

That's it for me really -- been plodding along and really stepping up for some strong goals over the next 4 months. I've been experimenting with a lot of healthy food alternatives/meals over the past week which has been cool.

What is everyones eating habits -- ie. what sort of eating plans to people lean towards?
Personally, I am very negative of diets/approaches that demonise specific food groups (i.e sugar). I like the principles of the paelo approach and for the most part, structure the food I consume around this system. Some parts I disregard, like consuming dairy, however, I don't think you can go too wrong cutting out packaged foods or those loaded with artificial defunct ingredients.

Stallion -- IIRC, weren't you competing in Sept/Oct? How did it go and did you make the progress you wanted to?
So much has happened since my last post so I'm going to outline it in bullet form

• Pulled out of competing mainly due to work reasons, and also cause I thought that I didn't have enough muscle.

• Started hardcore bulking, went up from 76 kg to 84 kgs in a few months. Made some fantastic strength gains, actually put on a few kilos of muscle although obviously the majority of that was fat.

• Ended up losing 3.5 kilos in 4 weeks after deciding to cut. In this cut, even though the majority of my food has been healthy, it's been a lot more flexible in that I have room to eat a burger here or there if I can make it fit my calories.

• The last week I've kind of stagnated because of Oktoberfest and an interstate DJing gig - two huge events that I played at where I get unlimited free alcohol. Not drinking again till new years eve.

• I've decided to get back on track this week and ramp up my cardio. MISS on a treadmill or outdoors 3 days a week, doing tractor tire flips one day a week and HIIT sprints either outdoors or on a rowing machine once a week.

• Once I'm down to 10% body fat, I'm going to start a more gradual bulk. I've been told that I have fitness model potential but I found out recently just how prevalent steroid use is in the industry. As in, you literally don't have a chance of making it without it. I've planned out a Test cycle with the help of my doctor and some of the leading experts in the fitness industry, but I'm not going to start it until I'm lean enough because you're more likely to see higher estrogen levels (and thus reduced potency and higher negative side effects) at higher bf%. I know Lee is going to blast me for this due to his strong anti drugs stance, but I've put considerable research into this idea for months now and I think at this stage in my life, it's the right decision for me. I'm not looking to be a bodybuilder who takes a fuckton of different compounds and look like freaks of nature as a result, but I want to do it to get a solid foundation of muscle that I can gradually add to naturally.

Last edited:

Lee

@ Thick Club
Not gonna blast you dude heh, I actually appreciate/respect your honesty. A part of me can relate to the ideology of using whatever means at your disposal to become the absolute best you possibly can; it's just raw ambition and should be commended in some regards, especially when it's honest and open.

It's a delicate subject but I do agree with you that drug use is incredibly commonplace within the fitness industry and if you want to do well in it then you're probably going to need something to level the playing field. Just stay safe, do what the professionals tell you and know when it's time to get out of there.

Once I'm down to 10% body fat, I'm going to start a more gradual bulk. I've been told that I have fitness model potential but I found out recently just how prevalent steroid use is in the industry. As in, you literally don't have a chance of making it without it. I've planned out a Test cycle with the help of my doctor and some of the leading experts in the fitness industry, but I'm not going to start it until I'm lean enough because you're more likely to see higher estrogen levels (and thus reduced potency and higher negative side effects) at higher bf%. I know Lee is going to blast me for this due to his strong anti drugs stance, but I've put considerable research into this idea for months now and I think at this stage in my life, it's the right decision for me. I'm not looking to be a bodybuilder who takes a fuckton of different compounds and look like freaks of nature as a result, but I want to do it to get a solid foundation of muscle that I can gradually add to naturally.
Sounds like you've got some good goals set for the coming months which is good, exercise wise. The other perspective i'll reserve comment on, just make sure it's all supervised and yeah.

I had my weigh-in/measurements today, first in about 8 months and doing great. For over 8months now i've lost a total of 49cm off my body, increased 11 but also dropped a further 4kg (net, still 14kg lighter than a year ago). It's late and i can't be bothered updating my excel log but the TL;DR version: some increases to weight and CM's but it's muscle and not fat. Sitting at 17% body fat, cardio performance against my timed runs/rows have dropped in time-taken, strength has increased substantially. SO it's all working in the right direction for me :)

I've been doing a lot with kettlebell's recently and i've found there a great alternative to the more 'stationary' weight activities and when you set up some circuits, it adds some great cardio in to the mix.

Stallion

Tree Young
Thanks for the support Lee and MikeAU. There's no way I'd do something that could potentially be detrimental without lots of research as well as having everything planned out for me by a professional. The guy that's helped me design the cycle is one of the top coaches in Australia and a close personal friend, as well as someone who's also been on and off cycles for the past 3 years. He's like a walking encyclopaedia of knowledge haha, I wouldn't ever dream of just ripping something off a forum like this when I've got such a good resource at my disposal.

Also @ above - that's awesome to hear that you're progressing in the right direction :D. I'm a big fan of kettlebells for more explosive movements, I wish I knew more exercises to do with them cause I always see people doing movements with them that I have never actually done before haha.

Last edited:
Also @ above - that's awesome to hear that you're progressing in the right direction :D. I'm a big fan of kettlebells for more explosive movements, I wish I knew more exercises to do with them cause I always see people doing movements with them that I have never actually done before haha.
Theres heaps -- I often do the following, determine the sets/reps on what you're capable of

- Swings (32kg kettlebell)
- Push-ups; 15kg weight-plate on back
- Front-Squats (32kg kettlebell)

- Swings (16kg each arm)
- Snatch
- Clean & Press
- Front Squats

Also, youtube Turkish get-ups, they make a great warm-up thats actyally exercise at the same time.

Well, I restarted Starting Strength when the the semester started and I've been able to stick to it better than I ever have before. Now that I'm almost 8 weeks into the program I'm starting to plateau a bit, but I'm still the strongest I've ever been. Current lifts are (all completed 3x5 aside from Deadlifts, which were 1x5):

Squat: 205
Deadlift: 245
Bench: 130
Overhead Press: 95

I know I still have a long way to go compared to where I want to be, but it's felt awesome getting to where I am (I'm 5'4", 20 years old, about 149 pounds at the moment). Though just wondering, at what point should I move off of Starting Strength and onto an intermediate program? The current plan is to keep bulking through the end of the fall semester (mid December) and switch to a cut when school resumes in the Winter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)