Serious Ethics of circumcision

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Routine infant circumcision (RIC) is a practice that, in the Western world, only remains common in the United States, and even there has been declining since 1981. There has been much of a debate on whether or not this practice should continue.

As someone born in the United States (specifically, the state of Georgia) I am cut. In the state I currently live, California, RIC has not been Medicaid funded since the 1980s (iirc it was the first state to have Medicaid stop funding circumcision,) however, in the state I was born in, RIC continues to be Medicaid funded. If you read my original post in my Atheism/Agnosticism thread, you would know that I despise the fact that I am circumcised. I have been very vocally anti-circumcision among my friends, to the point of triggering debates on Facebook, but I will be trying to make this OP as unbiased as possible.

Arguments for (to the best of my knowledge)

1. Reduced risk of urinary tract infection
2. Reduced risk of female-to-male HIV/HPV transmission (there is no evidence for reduced risk in male-to-male transmission)
3. Reduced risk of penile cancer
4. "To match his father" (no, seriously, people actually say this one)
5. Hygiene
6. Practice considered mandatory in Jewish faith

Arguments against

1. Principle of "First, do no harm" is clearly violated
2. The infant cannot consent to the procedure
3. Foreskin required for homosexual sex act of docking
4. Procedure can lead to serious complications (bleeding and infection being the most common - and let's not forget about babies contracting herpes from traditional Jewish circumcisions in NYC)
5. Foreskin has actual functions, for example, providing a natural lubricant during sex
6. Why are you doing an irreversible procedure on someone who might end up disagreeing with the decision?

Well, that was my attempt to show some of the arguments for and against, but now to the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is to discuss the ethics of RIC - is it justified? Are the benefits enough to recommend it? If you're outside of the United States, how do you view the procedure as an outsider?

But anyway, for my contribution:

I really don't think the benefits are enough to justify the procedure. UTIs? Antibiotics. That's standard operating procedure for girls, who are at much higher risk of developing UTIs than intact boys, so why is it different for boys? HIV/HPV? So why are the rates of these higher in the United States (where circumcision is common) than they are in Europe (where circumcision is rare?) Use a fucking condom. Penile cancer? Come on, that isn't even common among intact men. And besides, nobody's advocating routine mastectomies for girls to prevent breast cancer, why advocate routine circumcision for boys when breast cancer is much, much more commonplace? Matching the boy's father? Come on, that one's so stupid I'm not even going to bother. Hygiene? Have you never heard of a shower? As for all of those benefits, here's the Royal Dutch Medical Association's statement on the practice. Practice considered mandatory in Jewish faith? Why not look into brit shalom, a Jewish naming ceremony that doesn't involve circumcision? Should RIC be outlawed, I think Judaism can, should, and will adapt. What exactly is wrong with letting someone choose to have it done as an adult, should their religious faith require it?

But anyway, that's that. Just keep the discussion civil, and let's not bring up female genital mutilation here - that's not the point of this thread and I feel like it'd just be used in a fallacious argument utilizing the fallacy of relative privation.

Well personally as a muslim I understand that it is a religious practice that is practised widely in Islam, maybe not as popular as in Judaism but still pretty up there. I think its the parent's right to choose since they are the ones who provide for the child, feed it, care for it, love it why can't they have their religious practises passed on to their children. As an infant although they cannot consent to it, and they won't really remember anything past the age of 3 anyway, unless it provides a real, discernible amount of harm to the child I feel the parents are completely within their rights as parents to circumcise their infant sons

Stratos

Banned deucer.
honestly thanks to the internet i probably will leave my kid's circumcision up to him which is something i had never really questioned before so uh props

but at the same time if you are legitimately upset at your parents for circumcising you when you were a kid then that just shows you have never ever in your whole life had something to be upset about

edit: w8 wot m8 u want infant circumcision OUTLAWED lol first amendment my bruh

Last edited:

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
We did it reddit, we got a cut vs uncut thread on smogon!

Circumcision's roots go back to ancient (or according to some historians even prehistoric) times and has different reasons. Hygiene was a huge argument especially in african and arabic regions, because of the heat and lower hygienic standards and it is very often argued that many religious backgrounds for that also go back to that. I will let everyone else decide if circumcision is still needed for hygienic reasons in present times. There are also many cultural reasons why circumcision might have been developed, for example doing it to show what tribe you come from (still practiced in present times in africa and by the aboriginies), gaining invincibilty on the man's most sensitive part in context of a snake, a symbol of invincibility, being able to stripe off it's skin and regain a new one (ancient egypt), controlling the sexual acts (of slaves) without hurting the ability to reproduce (ancient greece and rome and to some extent in christianity), as a sacrifice to (a) god (also a symbolic action since genitalia stands for reproduction, obviously, and you dedicate that and therfor your offspring to god, used in christianity and other religions), etc. I think looking at the reasons why it was invented and why it is part of the social or religious convention and questioning that is what everyone should do before they decide if they want their sons circumcised.

That being said i do agree that both pro and anti-circumcision camps are idiotic, i think if you can handle the responsibility of raising a child, you should also be able to decide over that little piece of skin.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Not that I own a penis, but the idea of circumcision sounds hygienic to me.
Having it done does not seem to bring actual harm.

However... any reliable statistics on infection rate, etc?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi don't speak to what you think gay people might or might not prefer with regards to the circumcision status of themselves and their partner. There is no overwhelming majority on that. It's purely a personal taste for some and something most don't even care about. I personally cannot imagine a less sexy act than "docking."

Next thing you'll be saying we should ban Communion for kids and pregnant mothers due to well established results of the harmful effects of alcohol on child development. Or do you only get to ban religious practices you don't follow?

I'll ignore all the health stuff for now because it's patently clear that this is a personal vendetta for some bizarre reason.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
btw one could avoid a circumcision decision by adhering to some other common moral prescriptions such as: not bringing male children into this world and/or adopting your children.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It actually does bring "harm" in form of a potential painal trauma (when done without anesthesia), reduced sensibility (i am amazed this isn't in the op but "you can't do docking" is btw) and the omnipresent but tiny risk of something going wrong during the process.
Edit: also wanted to add that circumcision is an almost neccessary operation on people with phimosis, so it doesn't only have hygiene and religious reasons.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi don't speak to what you think gay people might or might not prefer with regards to the circumcision status of themselves and their partner. There is no overwhelming majority on that. It's purely a personal taste for some and something most don't even care about. I personally cannot imagine a less sexy act than "docking."

Next thing you'll be saying we should ban Communion for kids and pregnant mothers due to well established results of the harmful effects of alcohol on child development. Or do you only get to ban religious practices you don't follow?

I'll ignore all the health stuff for now because it's patently clear that this is a personal vendetta for some bizarre reason.
Hi, I'm bisexual, and if I were to have a male partner, I would personally be angered that I'd have one less sex act (if my partner were also cut,) so how about you don't speak as if I'm some outsider to the LGBT community? I know some might not mind, but some will. This is one of the reasons I'm undergoing foreskin restoration, but also for partially restored sensitivity and in part for therapeutic reasons, but that's another discussion.

Also, I'm an atheist and think communion is fucking stupid too, but that's also another discussion.

Bedschibaer If I recall correctly, there are ways to treat phimosis without circumcision (steroid creams, stretching are two I can think of off the top of my head,) but I have heard that circumcision has been required in some extreme cases. Either way, you can't exactly diagnose phimosis in someone until an age when the foreskin should be naturally retractable (it is not naturally retractable at birth) so that doesn't seem like a good reason to get a baby cut. If an adult has phimosis and his only treatment option is circumcision, obviously I have nothing wrong with that. I don't know anyone who would, really.

e: Relevant:

Last edited:
First: Communion is the only good thing about religion. Fuck yeah wine and bread crumbs.
Second: Foreskin is gross and that flow chart is dumb as fuck.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Question: Am I the only person who prefers the aesthetics of the uncircumcised dick? Personally, the first time I saw someone else's mutilated cock, I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a mercury thermometer. The glans looked like it had been rubbed repeatedly against concrete and that brown ring (circumcision scar) looked like someone took a shit, stuck a finger up their ass, and put that ring there.

(obvious exaggeration is obvious)

But on a serious note, I've never understood the "foreskin is gross" sentiment, something I've heard in real life in a non-joking manner many times. Are they just that repulsed by the idea of smegma (even though you can just wash that shit off with water) or am I missing something here?

I had look up docking on Urban Dictionary and I'm not sure how that is even comfortable.

Hi, I'm bisexual, and if I were to have a male partner, I would personally be angered that I'd have one less sex act (if my partner were also cut,) so how about you don't speak as if I'm some outsider to the LGBT community? I know some might not mind, but some will. This is one of the reasons I'm undergoing foreskin restoration, but also for partially restored sensitivity and in part for therapeutic reasons, but that's another discussion.
Why does it mean so much to you? It's just a bit of skin.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
The list in the OP makes circumcision sound like the more beneficial decision. Reduced risk of penial cancer if it means no docking? HOW TRAGIC

I have been very vocally anti-circumcision among my friends, to the point of triggering debates on Facebook, but I will be trying to make this OP as unbiased as possible.
How often could circumcision possibly come up on facebook lol

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I had look up docking on Urban Dictionary and I'm not sure how that is even comfortable.

Why does it mean so much to you? It's just a bit of skin.
A bit of skin with an actual function (i.e. protecting the glans - just google "functions of the foreskin" or something.) You know what else is just a bit of skin? Your earlobes. You wouldn't cut those off your baby, would you?

It's really simple of why it means so much to me. I didn't ask to be circumcised. This is a matter of reclaiming my rights to my own body from the obstetrician or whoever cut me (statistically speaking, it was probably an obstetrician.) You can say I'm making a big deal out of this if you want, but I don't care. This will make me feel better about myself and that's all that matters.

Peace out for now. I'll be back to say more shit, and if you people are too lazy to google "functions of the foreskin," then I'll come here and give you a nice list from what I've googled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)