Your first Pokemon game

What was your first Pokemon game?

• Total voters
Officially it was Silver, though I had played Blue first.

It's not, my favorite game is Emerald

wasted my earthquake TM on my female machamp because I didn't understand how breeding worked at that point.

I finally figured out my better answer to part C.

So yeah, at some point during my first playthrough I've believed (with the influence of my brother) that holding the B button(sometimes A) when the pokemon is shaking in the pokeball [attempting to catch it] would increase my chances of catching the pokemon. I then realized that it was just a placebo effect, lol.

A) What your first Pokemon game was?
Red Version all the way back in '98

B) Is your first game also your favorite game (if not, which one is?)
Eh... this is hard to answer. I think there are a lot of things to compare between games. In terms of plot, story sequence, and bad guys I think Red version is my favorite. However I prefer the "feel", region/map, and set of Pokemon from gen 3 (also the new content.) I like the characters in both about equally (maybe Hoenn a little more) So I'm typically inclined to say Sapphire is my favorite game and Red is my 2nd favorite but it could depend on what aspects if the the game you ask me about. (for the record I typically rank all the gens: 3, 1, 6, 5, 2,......(way far down >>>)...... 4, with 6 and 5 being almost a tie.)

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
Wow I have a lot, I thought every move that wasn't an attack was absolutely useless. So I would always make things forget moves like Growl in favor of having both Vine Whip and Razor Leaf or something. Which, looking back is really dumb (of course no one every explained how all those moves worked to me so as a little kid it seemed like they did almost nothing) I think I at least recognized that moves like Leech Seed and Thunder Wave were worth knowing though.

I don't think it ever occurred to me to try to find information about video games on the internet until sometime around gen 4. As a tiny elementary school kid you had to rely on what you figured out yourself, the info other kids told you, and, if you were damn lucky, the little bit of info you got to read while borrowing your friend's guide book at recess. During my first playthrough I accidentally stumbled upon Articuno and then KOed it. After wandering around Seafoam Island for so long and finding another "on the map" Pokemon like Snorlax I knew that it was somehow significant so I told my friends about it. Some thought where real bug eyed but one of them actually knew about legendary Pokemon already and broke the disappointing news that I blew my one shot..... So that night, with a heavy heart, I started my game over....lol

I guess some of the other "funny" stuff I tried to do was all those different rumors about how to catch "Pikablue" and "Mewthree" 90% of which revolved around doing things on the S.S.Anne by trading a Pokemon with Cut onto your game and then coming back later. I waited to board the ship until I had a Golem with Strength to push the truck overboard and reveal the warp. I waited to board 'til I had the Cardkey and then clicked on every block of wall hoping it would say "bingo" and open the secret door to Mewthree's lab. I even got on the ship and then left my game on for 24 hours 'cause supposedly if you were on the ship for 24 hours it would depart with you on and take you to an island where you catch Mew..... I tried all that stuff.

Last edited:
My first game was Pokemon Red, back when it first came out in NA back in 1998. It was actually the very first video game I owned personally; my family had an NES but that was specifically my Dad's (though he didn't play it much).

It's not my favorite game though, though I do enjoy going back to Genration I every now and then to screw with some of the more broken mechanics. No, that honour goes to Soul Silver. It took all the best elements of both the 2nd and 4th generation and mushed them together into a wonderful package, with the best touch controls on a Pokemon game to date as well, not to mention all the other little bonuses like the Pokeathlon, Battle Frontier and stuff.

As for stupid shit I did when I first played through Red, there's a few things. For one, I only trained my Bulbasaur (eventually Venusaur) right up until near the end of the game. I remember having it faint to a Hypno being used by a Juggler in Koga's Gym, and getting totally ruined by it afterwards because the rest of my team consisted of freshly caught Pokemon from the Safari Zone. After that I eventually wizened up to the idea that I needed to use multiple Pokemon to be successful, and made a well balanced team for the Elite 4. Another little bit of stupidity was that I thought Tackle did damage based on the user's size and weight, so I kept it on my Venusaur forever because I knew Venusaur was big. The other bit was that I quickly made the correlation that moves with lower PP were usually more powerful... however I failed to realize there were exceptions to this rule, so I thought Vine Whip was more powerful than Razor Leaf, and ended up keeping it waaaaaaaaaaaay longer than I should have. This is kind of understandable though; in Generation I moves didn't have any descriptions or stats displayed in-game, so I just had to guess at how good they were. Still should've noticed that Tackle and Vine Whip did shit damage earlier though.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
My first pokèmon game was Fire Red.
My luck in that game was amazing.
Without Pokèballs i found in a row 1 Shiny Caterpie and 1 Shiny Weedle.
I also found a Shiny Growlithe but at the third turn it used Roar, leaving the battle...
And i also found a Shiny Nidorino at Safari Zone but i was Nub and Asking my cousin why that Nidorino was Light Blue he answered "It's a Nidorina, DUMB". And i fled.
Changing games, my fortune didn't change. In BW I lost a Shiny Mienshao cuz it missed 2 times HJK. A Shiny Geodude in HGSS Exploded in front of my eyes. But i've a Shiny Corsola <3 and obviosly a Shiny Altaria <3

Last edited:
A) What your first Pokemon game was? Blue.

B) Is your first game also your favourite game (if not, which one is?)
Whichever one I'm currently playing (right now Sapphire and Y)!

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
Let's see...
  • Getting stuck on the original Victory Road
  • Catching MissingNo in Red (this was before I knew it would mess up my game)
  • Getting annoyed when my Red savefile was corrupted by MissingNo
  • Playing Stadium for the first time and seeing an orange Pikachu! (If anyone wants to make an orange Pikachu in Stadium, name the Pikachu RAICHU in all caps.)

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A) First game was Diamond. A kid named Billy had apparently dropped it in a parking lot, and I found it.
B) Nah, my favorite was Platinum. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Gen 4.
C) Probably the worst thing I did was make Infernape my HM slave.

A) Fire Red

B)
Yeah Fire Red is my fav, always will be

C)
I didn't know what release meant when I first started, so I released my Geodude...... RIP Geodude

A) Technically Blue, but that wasn't one I owned - the first one I owned myself was Pearl.
B) To be honest... probably BW.
C) Tried to evolve Wartortle with a Water Stone. And... every other Pokémon whose type matched an evolutionary stone.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
A) Emerald. When my mom let me to get a new GBA game my mind turned to my cousin who was playing Pearl while he was visiting. I didn't see much of it, but I liked it. Sense then he has gotten me into Minecraft and Skyrim in the same ways, but that's getting off topic.

B) Emerald is my favorite Pokemon game because of nostalgia. It was also the first game that I nuzloked.

C) Even though I was in fifth grade, the parts of my first run that I remember were laughably bad for someone my age. I ran into a shuppet and was terrified that my attacks did nothing. I don't know why I didn't run, but it knocked itself out with Cusre. Also, When Grovyle tried to learn Leaf Blade, I decided not to let him because Bullet Seed was a Multihit move and had been faithful to me. In hindsight, I'm glad I restarted when I got stuck because I don't want any evidence of that run anywhere... oh wait... Did I just post evidence of that run here? -facepalm-

A. Black 2
B. no, my favorite is heart gold, coincidentally that was also my first encounter with porygon
C. I guess that even newbie me knew that hydreigon was a good pokemon because he swept the entire elite four! He ended up replacing my starter, bad idea!

My first game I ever had was sapphire, but emerald edges it out as my favorite because of the extra content. I've since played every gen except 5th gen, and I have to say, it's not even a competition. RSE undoubtedly brought about the 3 coolest and best legendaries in my opinion and the villainous teams actually have some depth to their plot, rather than the whole "take over the world" thing that pertains to every other generation. The Hoenn region has some of the coolest land marks too; from foretree city all the way to mirage island. As for funny things that I did on my first run, I, for some reason, did not realize that you could run from battles or switch pokemon during them, which resulted in basically a sceptile one run. When I beat the pokemon league my sceptile was already lvl 79 with the quality move set of flash, cut, hyper beam, and leaf blade. Thank god for leaf blade. Right after I beat the pokemon league I discovered an island on my way to pacifilog, but to my disdain it only contained some pokemon I had already gotten from an egg and a couple odd trees. I still haven't seen mirage island again, and I probably never will now that the internal battery has run dry. Oh well....

A) I got a GB Color and Pokemon Silver when I was eight years old. I missed Gen I because little kid me was a dirtbag hipster who didn't want to be into Pokemon because everybody else already liked it. My tune changed when one of my friends whipped out a poster with all 151 pokes on it and I laid eyes on Rapidash, and dude? Flaming unicorn? METAL. I really got into it after that, watching the show and collecting the cards and whatnot (even subscribed to Beckett Pokemon Collecter, remember that?), but my parents were slow to let me actually get a Gameboy since they didn't want me indoors all day playing videogames.

I remember debating carefully over whether I wanted Gold or Silver more. I think I went with Silver because Lugia learned water moves, so could beat Ho-Oh. Also, Vulpix, my favorite Pokemon at the time, was a version exclusive. When I finally got it, I played the ever-loving crap out of it, until I had well over 300 hours on the timer, a complete Pokedex, and a full party of level 100s. Originally, I intended to keep that save file alive for posterity, but one of my brother'Sis friends saved over it. That was the saddest day ever.

B)
While Silver was my first and I still like it a lot, it is no longer my favorite. Crystal was objectively better (and let you play as a girl!) and had those really cool animated sprites and stuff. My favorite now is X/Y, mostly because it's so accessible. Before, I could never hope to get into competitive battling, but now it's much easier to breed, trade, and battle online with your pokes. The Johto region and Gen II Pokemon are still my favorites, tho :)

C)
Oh jeez, the derp was strong with me back in the day. First of all, totally named my rival ??? because I thought the cop would know if I lied and arrest me. Secondly, had a strategy guide that I followed to the letter even though, looking back, it was objectively wrong in some places. Third, I think I got lost over by the Whirl Islands and cried about it (did the same thing in a cave, too). Finally, I thought I was cool for mastering the cloning glitch and wound up accidentally deleting my friend's Espeon (we didn't stay friends after that...)

Good times, man.

Ruby. Technically, it was Silver version, but that belonged to my brother and he never really let me play it much. Therefore, the first Pokemon game that I actually owned was Ruby version, with Sapphire following shortly afterwards. And while Ruby itself was a decent game, Emerald was my absolute favourite.

And honestly, the only thing I remember from those days is the fact that I was such a horrible trainer. I would be that person that would put four fire moves on a Pokemon without a care in the world, or just do something insane like teach my Rayquaza fly or something. x___x; I dunno; I guess I didn't know what I was doing at the time. I also felt like rare candies weren't that big of a deal, so I abused the crap out of them. This was also in the middle of my cheating days, so using gameshark was perfectly normal for me to do things like walking through walls, having infinite masterballs and other dumb stuff like that.

Although when I reflect on it, most of the things I've done were silly, they were still at least fun. They were good times, indeed. ^o^

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
or just do something insane like teach my Rayquaza fly or something
Rayquaza already knows Fly upon capture in Ruby, so no need to feel bad. :P

My first game was Crystal. My list of accomplishments involved Wing Attack/Fly/Gust/Quick Attack Pidgeot, wasting my Master Ball on a Mantine, thinking a Level 40 Raikou would take a Hydro Pump from a Level 100 Feraligatr, and going into total fanboy mode when my Togepi called Sacred Fire from Metronome.

Crystal is still my favorite game, and having played through it again like five times I know that its not just nostalgia lol. Heart Gold and Y are close seconds though.

First game I actually bought was Pokemon Sapphire back in 2003, but I had also played Pokemon Red and Crystal a good amount before this.

Maybe it's just just for nostalgic reasons, but Sapphire was definitely my favorite Pokemon game (I logged a ton of hours on that game).

Not much outside of me being a general noob. I only leveled up Blaziken for a majority of the game, and I got my ass handed to me by Tate/Liza and Wallace several times. Not to mention Drake. Seriously, try beating Salamence with Sky Uppercut / Blaze Kick / Cut / Strength <-- (master Blaziken set btw)

Pokemon White
No, my favorite is White 2.
I used a Haxorus with Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Dragon Pulse and False Swipe :P

Blue (before Red, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, FireRed, Emerald, Platine, HeartGold, Black, White, White 2, and X)
Clearly not. Probably Emerald or Black.
Using Razor Leaf in Blue where everything was OHKO and game still said "Not very effective". Are you Dumb or what ?

Blue.

The Gold and Silver versions (and SoulSilver by extension) Really liked the two regions thing.

I'm pretty sure I did a lot of silly stuff back in Blue like teaching all same-type moves to my pokemon, but one that sticks out in my mind is the part where I went through Rock Tunnel without Flash, assuming that was how it was supposed to be. Didnt pay much attention to details as a kid... I remembered taking forever to get pass that.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Blue version

The story that I really enjoyed was the gold/silver version because when I was younger, I didn't know that we could go to Kanto, then my pokemons were lvl 70 something before I go to Kanto and then kill Red ._.

The most personal funny thing is just above but also when I realized that the mew bug was not a fake in the first gen, I was really surprised because this first gen came on gameboys and there was no updates or stuff so, this bug was present since the release of the first gen, mew was available since 1996 :o (still shocked)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

A) Blue, but my brother at the same time got Red.

B) Sadly no, my favorite game had to be White as it's the first game I was able to get into the story of.

C) I used the Master Ball on a Fearow because it was taking up space in my Bag (stupid limited bag space).

A - Pokémon Red.

B - Sapphire/Emerald

C - ...I didn't know at first how to even save the game (I was like 8 or so, it also was my first video game ever), so just reaching Pewter City was a feat (that I had to repeat more than once, ofc). And probably more things that I can't recall now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)