MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so samardzjia and hammel to oakland for russell straily and mckinney... the cubs now have 2 top 10 prospects, both shortstops, as well as top 50 prospects at 2b and 3b... what the fuck are they going to do with all this infield talent? I dont know enough to know if one of baez or russell can play CF or something longterm, noramlly the easy move is 3b but thats blocked too so who knows... Amazing how Theo has managed to stockpile minor league talent. (also his ability to pick up pitchers from the orioles for nothing and have them be elite is ... odd)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
lester and gomes for cespedes

i have so many feels right now but trading 2 months of a player who we have a mediocre chance of resigning after the season + 2 months of a platoon player for a year+ of a legitmate power hitting OF who we have the money to resign anyway makes sense to me

then again they should have just sacked up and gave him 6 years / 100+ mil like he wanted before the season

Imanalt

lester and gomes for cespedes

i have so many feels right now but trading 2 months of a player who we have a mediocre chance of resigning after the season + 2 months of a platoon player for a year+ of a legitmate power hitting OF who we have the money to resign anyway makes sense to me

then again they should have just sacked up and gave him 6 years / 100+ mil like he wanted before the season
Meh coming into the year a 6 year 100m deal for lester would have been an awful lot. He'd been all of a 2.7 war per year player over the past three years (by baseballreference, although his underlying numbers were a bit better, so a fip based war probably likes him more), which going by the standard 6m per win says he would have needed to average ~3 wins per year through age 30-35... Expecting a player to do better in that age range than at their usual peak is an awful gamble. This year he's been better, but that just hits the problem with big deals, that pitchers are very unpredictable (It also doesn't help that playing every 5th game really limits value). Almost all high end recent pitcher deals have been at best mediocre values (verlander, sabathia etc).

In general I see the best value in getting a large number of number2ish starters and going for quantity over quality (coincidentally this is roughly what the A's have done this year, lester excluded), as they tend to provide 3/4ths of the value of elite starters, for at most half the cost.

Ruben Amaro is quite possibly the worst GM in all of sports. Didn't make a single trade today because no team wants to pick up one of the terrible contracts he's given out to various players over the years. The entire roster is virtually untradable. Hes run the franchise into the ground.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ruben Amaro is quite possibly the worst GM in all of sports. Didn't make a single trade today because no team wants to pick up one of the terrible contracts he's given out to various players over the years. The entire roster is virtually untradable. Hes run the franchise into the ground.
i was going to try and name a worse GM in another sport but all the ones I thought of aren't employed anymore

also this is some straight up marlins fire sale shit (except not really since we got back mostly major league talent??)

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
i think the sox got a decent haul. i would have expected more for lackey since he's gonna cost the card's 500k next year which is absolutely ridiculous. however, i've heard lackey is threatening to retire if he doesn't get more cash so factoring in the risk i could see why they got what they did

i was going to try and name a worse GM in another sport but all the ones I thought of aren't employed anymore

also this is some straight up marlins fire sale shit (except not really since we got back mostly major league talent??)
I think this Tweet perfectly describes the level of incompetence we Phillies fans have been dealing with these last few years

Edit: Cliff Lee (Who was rushed back from the DL for god knows what reason) injured his elbow as I typed that so apparently things can actually get worse

Last edited:

Imanalt

The fantasy threepeat is real
Absolutely amazing final matchup, great season all around... still pissed off that i had literally counted it as won when i saw mesoraco hadnt hit one at the start of the 8th... Anyways next year I guess ill try to trade more so i don't just destroy you guys on the waiver wire, but trading as well :)

Imanalt

BUCTOBER

also how the pirates have managed to have the most star power in baseball is kind of ridiculous... It looks like because of injury marte will come up /just/ short of 5 war. He woudl have been the pirates 4th player at 5 or more war. No other team in baseball has 3. If the pirates pitching staff didnt suck so fucking much (29th in fip based war), we really could have been a special team this year, given we have easily the best position players in the nl

This post season is so fucking weird for me. This is the first time since 1993 that neither my team the Red Sox or the Yankees have been in the playoffs. The first year in my existence that I don't have a team to root for or passionately against. It's... weird to say the least. So very weird.

I live in Cleveland, so rooting for the Pirates seems like jumping on the bandwagon. The Steeler fans in Cleveland are so pompous and arrogant and front running that I can't bring myself to root for Pittsburgh anything. The A's are pretty much the old castoff Red Sox, so I have attachment to them, but they've just played so bad. So... I think I am the only one who is going to be rooting for Kansas City.

So... yeah. I choose Royals.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm nothing more than a casual Reds fan and just from what I caught during breaks at work, man I wish I would've seen the whole game.

I feel pretty bad for Beane and co. What the hell happened to the A's? I respect what they do with their budget year in and year out, they go all in this year finally after looking amazing in the first half and... splat.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trading Cespedes for Lester was a very bad deal imo. I wouldn't be surprised if this costs Beane his job.

Cespedes is an overrated player - the trade isn't nearly as bad as it seems. He wasn't the reason their offense stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)